• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

FyreWulff

Seriously, why should anyone invest in Tough Enough? The winner was already cut by WWE (after getting major heat the night he won by no-selling a Stunner after 10 seconds and failing a drug test).

If they do it again, they need to make it an intense fucking thing instead of all this gaga they put into it. They need to get some of the top indy talent and actually do this thing right. Maybe a few non-trained people will work to provide an entertaining trained vs. untrained angle.

The most memorable thing about the comeback season was the "Melina vs. Alicia Fox" moment and that isn't necessarily the best thing to remember.

It'll never happen as USA wants a reality show, not a feeder program for the WWE.

It should be all indy wrestlers that have already been extremely drug-tested. It also didn't help that NXT and Tough Enough were running at the same time, so it was two very similar shows running at the same time.

Ithil

The 12/28 Raw house show at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island will be headlined by WWE champ CM Punk & Daniel Bryan vs. Kane & John Cena.
I know these house show matches are never final, and these are in two different feuds, hence the teaming, but man I'd love to see a Punk/Bryan team.

strobogo

Banned
A few random thoughts:

Couldn't sleep so I hopped on the exercise bike and decided I'd watch some Macho Man while I rode. I'm still bummed that Randy's first title win was in such a nothing match, even if it was at WM. That WM SUCKED hard. Never has there been a tournament with so many awesome guys and awesome matches and it still manages to be so boring. Could have been one of the most amazing shows ever. Instead, it was 4 hours that felt like 20 hours and by the end of the show, everyone was so burnt out that a 10 minute championship main event that feels like a choppy 2012 RAW match wasn't really that big of a deal. And the match itself was over shadowed by Hulk vs Andre. Even on the advertising after the show, it was still about Hogan vs Andre, not Mach winning the belt. They had a way better cage match at MSG that was the next match on the disc. I can't believe a kid made it past security and all the way up the cage while hitting Virgil before anyone went after him. He was at the top of the cage. A guy sliding into the ring gets crushed immediately. This teenager climbs to the top of the giant blue cage all while throwing shots at Virgil and no one notices him? So weird.

This leads me to my next point. Superstar Billy Graham was one of the worst commentators ever. How can a guy so good at talking suck so much at talking? He had a bit of an obsession with feeling that Liz needed to hit the gym and bulk up.

I really enjoyed Kevin Nash's 2003 WWE run and think it was one of his best stretches since 1994. He also put in a ton of effort in 2002 before Hall fucked up and before he got hurt. There is a Rock vs Nash from Smackdown that has Nash working shockingly hard. Really good match. Better than the Rock vs Hall.

I miss Randy Savage and Gorilla Monsoon.

G-Fex

115247_o.gif

Yes she's on my friendlist doofus, were not really friends. I hope you and Dark and Enigma don't actually think I'm "pining" after her. She's got a bf already, me thinks you guys with your gif reactions are trying to make up for your own shortcomings?

So what id miss on Raw?

Aiii

So not worth it
Kane was amazing. As was D-Bry. As was CM Punk (who turned heel by cutting his hair, Vintage CM Punk). Also, the whole night without Lawler on commentary. AJ turning back into her old self (and hopefully losing her GM gig in the process) was good as well.

Raw wasn't half bad imo.

I did not watch any of the Triple H stuff or the Cena match though, but that's normal viewing behaviour as far as I'm concerned.

And lets face it, Raw was never able to drop below a 7/10 after this:
Kane: "Years ago I had a girlfriend named Katie. Let's just say that didn't work out well." and "And for reasons never explained: I have an unhealthy obsession with torturing Pete Rose."

Do you guys think if the show wasn't PG that Punk could actually drop the 14 year old pipebomb on Lawler?

No, because highlighting that someone you employ was accused of pedophilia is bad business, no matter what the show's rated. It's not like, if the show was rated 14+, people would suddenly be like, "oh, that's ok, then. Pipebomb, lol pedophiles!"

eldoon

It'll never happen as USA wants a reality show, not a feeder program for the WWE.

It should be all indy wrestlers that have already been extremely drug-tested. It also didn't help that NXT and Tough Enough were running at the same time, so it was two very similar shows running at the same time.

Indy wrestlers - they belong in NXT not in tough enough.

get some amateur wrestlers , MMA fighters , stunt men , actors ,body builders , army guys , doctors, teachers etc.
Make it all male , and make the challenges wrestling related - i mean that model that got kicked because she could not name a wrestling match as her fave really was pointless.
Or have one team as team indy vs team no experience.

So, here's my weekly self plugging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7t1APbFln4&feature=youtu.be
Video of me taking over SRPW and forming my Golden Alliance from a few weeks ago. There's some good stuff in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGdvLYE-ktU - Heavyweight Title Match from last weekend. Towards the end I get put in a sharpshooter and I'm not very manly about it.

http://www.facebook.com/BArthurisgolden

This week we'll have a cake. I wonder if someone will be put through it.

Looking forward to checking these out after work. Can you tell me where B Arthur buy's his suits?

We did it, Kane Klique.

We did it.

Yes we did SoulBro, all it took was the sheer awfulness of a boring 3 hour Raw for the denizens of wrasslegaf to realise Kane is like one of the only good things left, D Bryne was cool too, the best part of Raw was a cheesy comedy skit, that pretty much sums things up.

So Kane/Ryder tag team? yay or nay, seems like a Kane cycle stage.

This Punk heel turn has fallen so flat for me, it's strange that unlike most here I didn't mind face Punk but this heel Punk is just like a whiny heel to the point I almost want to cheer Cena, that said Punk beat the fuck out of King and that's always approved.

HHH's grubby fingerprints were all over Raw in the worst way, I had to fast forward through his shit towards the end so if he's retired or something somebody better tell me because i'm gauging things from a sped up version of him wobbling up the ramp.

Where the hell is Wade Barrett?! did he even get a promo this week?

Looking forward to checking these out after work. Can you tell me where B Arthur buy's his suits?
Clothing is custom nothing in his pockets but knives and lint.

Actually years ago I wanted some fancy clothes and for some reason I liked the idea of getting a camel hair jacket. Then I came home and realized I had no reason to wear it. Now I do every week!
Also the shir is from Ross dress 4 less. I've gotten gimmick stuff from there a bunch this year for Abra and B.

hertog

Wow the WWE is in a bad shape.
I hate the fact that Cena vs. Punk will headline NoC, but who else.....?

Raw feels so slow and pointless. I fastforward atleast 65% of it.

Example: Ziggles/ADR vs. Orton/Sheamus. Why would I watch it if I know that the faces will win by bro-kick (I know it's not the proper name) to Ziggler.
Everything is so telegraphed and boring, must maintain that status-quo.

There's nothing to look forward to, no match that could make me look forward to a ppv.

I think.... I think I'm done with it.

hertog

But!!!

That Kane segment, oh god. That had me rolling. Kane must be the company MVP right now and to think he debuted back in 96 as fake Diesel (or was he one of the Knights on survivor series in lawler's team?)

Aiii

So not worth it
The individual who portrayed Harold in the anger management skits with Daniel Bryan and Kane on Raw was California-based independent wrestler Scorpio Sky, who recently competed in TNA Wrestling as Mason Andrews.

I hadn't even noticed.

Aiii

So not worth it
Silvervision, WWE’s European video distributer, has released a four-pack DVD package featuring “Attitude Era” titles Austin 3:16 Uncensored, Three Faces of Foley, Chris Jericho – Break Down the Walls and Kurt Angle – It’s True! It’s True. According to reader Dan, the titles are unedited as the WWF logo is not blurred and WWF references are not cut out. Chris Benoit is also not edited from the titles; he’s featured in the Jericho and Angle pieces, and appears in bonus matches featured in both sets.

----- ------!

Striker

Only saw until HHH's shit. The show until then was pretty bad sans the Kane and Bryan stuff.

The main event was a total waste of time.

That silver vision news isn't really news because all their tagged classics releases don't blur the logo and Chris Benoit remains thoroughly intact on all re-released ppv events.

jmdajr

Well, duh.

It's not possible to hate Kane. Glen Jacobs is the nicest guy in the entire industry.

I talk about Kane, post pics and gifs about him, you guys "complain". I keep doing it, anyway. You guys pretend to not like it, we all have a hearty laugh, and then, do it all over again.

I think it's great.

Kane has always been a great character. Kinda feel bad because they always somehow drop the ball no matter what story he's in, and yet he's still able to recover and move to something interesting. Never been a huge fan of the wrestling style, but definitely one of the best big men wrestlers. Just have to put him in the ring with someone that clicks. Kanes therapy session summed it up pretty good. He's provided a lot of entertainment over the years in
unexplicable ways.

jmdajr

Do you guys think if the show wasn't PG that Punk could actually drop the 14 year old pipebomb on Lawler?

For Punk to be a good heel he can't resort to shooting. It's just cheap. Within the confines of the "wwe universe", I think he gave a good heel promo.

strobogo

Banned
I wonder how close Vince was to making a DVD doc about the Benoit murders. It had to have rattled around in his mind a few times. And then someone said, "Are you fucking crazy?" and probably got a raise. Then Vince went fucking crazy.

I feel like there is a pretty direct link to the erratic and weird booking style and Vince's behavior and all the Benoit stuff. Vince hasn't recovered mentally from that, I think. He was already doing some weird stuff and that was just the final push. I watched the talking head parts from the Benoit tribute show not too long ago. It's really gross to see Chavo talking about how he would leave his kids with Chris any day considering he knew what happened at that point. Regal and JBL knew, as well. Regal came the closest to actually saying it. And then half way through the show things got really awkward when it was all coming out and they started talking about Nancy instead. Punk bawling and making the rest of his career a tribute to Benoit is pretty weird. I don't know who knew what except for a handful of guys. I think Taz knew at the beginning of the show as well, because he seemed super pissed to have to be saying good things about Benoit. But he changed as the show went on, so I don't know. He could have been pissed to have to work when he just found out a good friend and his family were dead.

They should have just gone for the technical difficulties excuse for the rest of the show and taken the hit on ratings. I'm also amazed that anyone does the Crossface still. There will never be a time when someone does the Crossface and half the audience or more doesn't immediately associate it with Chris Benoit. There is no "taking it back" for that move. It's been mostly relegated to HHH and HBK in WWE, which seems to me to be full on tribute to Benoit, but that it is used at all is so strange. I can't believe Vince lets anyone do it in his company. It leads me to believe that he would totally market Benoit stuff on DVDs and mention him in a positive light if there wouldn't be a massive backlash against it. I think he'd love to exploit him as much as they did and continue to do with Eddie (matches on DVDs, character in video games, t-shirts, toys, HOF, being referenced quite regularly), but feels he'd never be able to get away with it.

I realize that Benoit has been on DVDs since, but I mean advertising him as such. Going out of their way to put his matches on DVDs as bonuses and whatnot. I think it will happen eventually.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Because she's hot, over and the divas division is too shit to keep her on TV.

Debatable on the first point, and I'd like to see the second point change.

I missed Raw, just gonna listen to the LAW instead. It's a more efficient use of my time.

Seriously - 3 hours is just too much for me to justify watching live at all.

Striker

She's bad enough speaking by herself, and she only seems to get a couple lines a night. She's an awful GM but since it obviously means nothing anymore, who cares.

The Diva's division is still shitty because they continue to give random pushes. I can't recall a straight Beth vs. Natayla feud, or at least one that didn't stop progressing a week later.

jmdajr

I wonder how close Vince was to making a DVD doc about the Benoit murders. It had to have rattled around in his mind a few times. And then someone said, "Are you fucking crazy?" and probably got a raise. Then Vince went fucking crazy.

I feel like there is a pretty direct link to the erratic and weird booking style and Vince's behavior and all the Benoit stuff. Vince hasn't recovered mentally from that, I think. He was already doing some weird stuff and that was just the final push. I watched the talking head parts from the Benoit tribute show not too long ago. It's really gross to see Chavo talking about how he would leave his kids with Chris any day considering he knew what happened at that point. Regal and JBL knew, as well. Regal came the closest to actually saying it. And then half way through the show things got really awkward when it was all coming out and they started talking about Nancy instead. Punk bawling and making the rest of his career a tribute to Benoit is pretty weird. I don't know who knew what except for a handful of guys. I think Taz knew at the beginning of the show as well, because he seemed super pissed to have to be saying good things about Benoit. But he changed as the show went on, so I don't know. He could have been pissed to have to work when he just found out a good friend and his family were dead.

They should have just gone for the technical difficulties excuse for the rest of the show and taken the hit on ratings. I'm also amazed that anyone does the Crossface still. There will never be a time when someone does the Crossface and half the audience or more doesn't immediately associate it with Chris Benoit. There is no "taking it back" for that move. It's been mostly relegated to HHH and HBK in WWE, which seems to me to be full on tribute to Benoit, but that it is used at all is so strange. I can't believe Vince lets anyone do it in his company. It leads me to believe that he would totally market Benoit stuff on DVDs and mention him in a positive light if there wouldn't be a massive backlash against it. I think he'd love to exploit him as much as they did and continue to do with Eddie (matches on DVDs, character in video games, t-shirts, toys, HOF, being referenced quite regularly), but feels he'd never be able to get away with it.

I realize that Benoit has been on DVDs since, but I mean advertising him as such. Going out of their way to put his matches on DVDs as bonuses and whatnot. I think it will happen eventually.

Damn you've thought about this too much. I'll tell you what though. I was pretty traumatized by the whole thing. I went to a PPV that he no showed and it was fucked up that he was busy killing the family while I was there. I had a Royal Rumble poster in my room and had to take it down immediately since it had Benoit prominently doing a flying head butt. Thought about it for weeks.... What a nightmare.

Next thing you know PG era is in full swing. God damn it Benoit, why the fuck did you have to flip the fuck out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Debatable on the first point, and I'd like to see the second point change.

I missed Raw, just gonna listen to the LAW instead. It's a more efficient use of my time.

Seriously - 3 hours is just too much for me to justify watching live at all.

General consensus is that she's hot. It's debatable for every woman on earth, but lets go with the majority vote here. That she's over (although more over pre-GM stint) is pretty much a given.

And yes, we're all agreed on the women's division deserving better.

But still, a reason was asked and provided. Everyone fucking hates GM's, but WWE Creative is hell bent on having them. So, there you go :)

jmdajr

General consensus is that she's hot. It's debatable for every woman on earth, but lets go with the majority vote here. That she's over (although more over pre-GM stint) is pretty much a given.

And yes, we're all agreed on the women's division deserving better.

But still, a reason was asked and provided. Everyone fucking hates GM's, but WWE Creative is hell bent on having them. So, there you go :)

Regal was an awesome GM. Damn it Regal, had to fuck it all up too!

mooooose

Someone who never recovered from Benoit dying was Chavo. Chavo lived through Eddie and Benoit and I think they humbled him a lot. When they died, he was so fucking lost, and he has never recovered. I always wonder how Malenko is doing.

Top Bottom