• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| I'll tout it to the papers if I have to

Ithil

That was one of the best executed slow burn heel turns in recent memory. There aren't many on that level that come to mind. Jericho had a nice slow turn against Michaels a few years back, too.

This turn? Not so much.

Bryan's slow heel turn at the end of last year was impressively done.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sonny Onoo was touting and tweeting before it was cool
tumblr_m3j82fxeqc1r3202chx.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Isn't it a bit silly to judge this turn when it's clearly not even close to being done yet?

If anything he won't have fully turned till SummerSlam or even beyond that.

UberTag

Bryan's slow heel turn at the end of last year was impressively done.
That one was nice but it didn't feel like D.Brine stayed a face too long after cashing in his briefcase.
It was disguised somewhat due to having an extended feud with Mark Henry but it wasn't as drawn out as those other two examples.
Still well-executed, though... no question about that.

Isn't it a bit silly to judge this turn when it's clearly not even close to being done yet?
If anything he won't have fully turned till SummerSlam or even beyond that.
Punk's been pretty much full heel since laying out The Rock. He's just exercising decorum still.
Chickenshitting his way out of a triple threat match, demanding respect ad infinitum and acknowledging claims that he's turned his back on the WWE Universe barely two weeks after a turn doesn't scream slow burn to me.

I will say that he's still evolving his eventual heel persona. We shouldn't be judging that until post-Summerslam.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Ryback is boring because all of the matches he's been in have been squash matches, there's no "oh no I wonder if he's gonna lose" threat/element to his matches.

I want someone to come out, a bigger name, a big guy and have a match with him. Whether he wins or loses is irrelevant, but I want to see him in an actual match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That was one of the best executed slow burn heel turns in recent memory. There aren't many on that level that come to mind. Jericho had a nice slow turn against Michaels a few years back, too.

This turn? Not so much.

They spend 1.5 months doing Punk's heel turn there, it was great - even better because the turn happened due to circumstance, not due to a character shift - though that came later. It was great.

Striker

As I did last week, I'll catch the show on Youtube.

Ongoing thoughts, now.

- still not liking AJ as GM, though blends in well with the rest of the melodramatic crap
- Wade Barrett return promo, I like
- three hour show, Christian-Del Rio gets three minutes, lolol, fucking WWE
- can't give a win for Show over Orton clean, can they?
- I give it a month or so until Randy's back in the WWE/World title hunt, good punishment for getting suspended
- snore, a Raw Divas match
- using Shawn again to put over HHH's match, goddamit
- a Lesnar-Michaels feud would have been amazing
- Jericho was gold on commentary
- Ziggler-Jericho best feud atm, too bad Chris is leaving to tour
- Cena-Bryan was pretty dang good, better than the sloppy Cena-Punk stuff
- Punk attempts to kick Show, blocked, and KO. lol looked funny. so they let Show end the show like that, but they didn't land him a victory earlier in the night. well thought out

Brinbe

As I did last week, I'll catch the show on Youtube.

Ongoing thoughts, now.

- still not liking AJ as GM, though blends in well with the rest of the melodramatic crap
- Wade Barrett return promo, I like
- three hour show, Christian-Del Rio gets three minutes, lolol, fucking WWE
- can't give a win for Show over Orton clean, can they?
- I give it a month or so until Randy's back in the WWE/World title hunt, good punishment for getting suspended
- snore, a Raw Divas match
- using Shawn again to put over HHH's match, goddamit
- a Lesnar-Michaels feud would have been amazing
- Jericho was gold on commentary
- Ziggler-Jericho best feud atm, too bad Chris is leaving to tour
- Cena-Bryan was pretty dang good, better than the sloppy Cena-Punk stuff
- Punk attempts to kick Show, blocked, and KO. lol looked funny. so they let Show end the show like that, but they didn't land him a victory earlier in the night. well thought out
Was actually just about to do the same, but this saved me tons of time. Thanks, Striker! I'll check out that Cena-Bryan match though.

Holy shit, that crowd was insane for Bryan. Absolutely amazing.

Kyoufu

This turn? Not so much.

What's wrong with it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with it?

Well there's a couple things.

1. It feels forced, which stinks when it's Punk's character because the legitimacy behind what he does affects it so much.

2. They're being very careful to make sure he doesn't get cheered as a badass heel, in which his character suffers a bit.

3. They're concerned about having him go too crazy due to the DVD release. They want big sales!

Honestly #1 and #2 kind of neuter what he COULD be, which makes me sad. That's all. It is a delicate, careful turn that they need to pay a lot of attention to.

Kyoufu

1. It feels forced, which stinks when it's Punk's character because the legitimacy behind what he does affects it so much.

2. They're being very careful to make sure he doesn't get cheered as a badass heel, in which his character suffers a bit.

3. They're concerned about having him go too crazy due to the DVD release. They want big sales!

Honestly #1 and #2 kind of neuter what he COULD be, which makes me sad. That's all. It is a delicate, careful turn that they need to pay a lot of attention to.

Very true. They should have done the DVD sooner :/

Brinbe

So wow, Cena-Bryan was awesome, but fuckouttahere @ that Big Show of an ending. I know they gotta build him up somehow, but God he just sucks. Makes me miss Henry even more.

Kyoufu

So wow, Cena-Bryan was awesome, but fuckouttahere @ that Big Show of an ending. I know they gotta build him up somehow, but God he just sucks. Makes me miss Henry even more.

Yeah I love Henry too, but Big Show is better for this feud.

Aiii

So not worth it

I disagree. His reasoning has been sound from a kayfabe point of view. The proud CM Punk is not the focus of the show, even though he's been champ for longer then anyone for a while. He's not respected, constantly interupted, etc.

I find the reasons for him snapping on the Rock and Big Show\Cena to be quite understandable.

As said, I'd GTS Cena as well. And then kick his bloody stupid cap out of the ring Lesnar style.

So yeah, if I as a viewer get sick of Cena, I can imagine someone on the level of Punk (if it wasn't for Bryan he'd be the best worker in WWE) is being kept down by the same Cena doing half-assed promo's and mediocre in-ring work I'd get pissed off as well. Esp. if the crowd would be behind me as well.

And it is his reasoning that makes his turn so gradually, he feels justified in his actions and in his wording. Part of the crowd does as well, judging by him still getting cheered. On the other hand, when he speaks aloud against Cena the crowd starts cheering, which pisses him off. When he's talking to AJ in the ring, Cena's music hits interupting him (and he comes out striking a Superman-pose btw, nice one Cena, fu!) and he gets pissed off. Etc.

So no, he's nowhere near full heel yet, because they're doing a slow turn and each week Punk will turn more and more on the audience, but feel justified in doing so. His reasoning currently is understandable, but will become less and less so. The only strange reasoning so far was against AJ for putting him in a 3-way after he himself made it so no #1 contender was crowned.

So I had another trip to Ryback station today, you know, the one station from the dream I had the other month with Ryback killing other wrasslers for no reason.
And get a load of this newly added piece of Grafitti I spotted on the bridge...
fKZLZ.gif

IT'S THAT DAMN DX!
No I don't get why it's red and yellow either....unless it was the Hulkster brother!

Aiii

So not worth it
Backstage Fallout for Raw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAHTzryEOg#t=3m40s

I put in the timestamp for D-Bry, the rest are Kelly Kelly, A-Ri and Reks/Curtis. None of which are of any importance to anyone. Whatever you do, don't watch from the start, unless you really want to rewatch Kelly Kelly try to run the ropes and nearly botch her roll-up.

I've yet to express my disappointment that Lesnar did not fuck Shawn up something fierce on Raw, not only does Brock continue to look kind of like a chump it also means DX are still able to pop over to Blighty and vandalize my local station.
I buy Heyman as a bigger threat than Lesnar at this point, I bet Heyman could talk HHH into defeat at Summerslam.

Kyoufu

I've yet to express my disappointment that Lesnar did not fuck Shawn up something fierce on Raw, not only does Brock continue to look kind of like a chump it also means DX are still able to pop over to Blighty and vandalize my local station.
I buy Heyman as a bigger threat than Lesnar at this point, I bet Heyman could talk HHH into defeat at Summerslam.

Heyman could talk anyone into defeat. The man is amazing.

McNei1y

I'LL SEE YOU..... AT SUMMERSLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paracelsus

Cole gets a lot of stick (because he is bad) but Lawler is worse IMO. This guy needs to be replaced.

Cole is a good announcer handled like shit, Lawler is bad both as face and heel. The only, THE ONLY good thing about him are the background chuckling whenever you have a wrestler owning someone at the microphone.

jmdajr

Brock said he'd see HBK before Summerslam. If this was attitude era he would F5 HBK while he was at church. Like.. right on the altar!
Whatever the case, it will probably be some sort of attack outside the ring.

Kyoufu

Cole is a good announcer handled like shit, Lawler is bad both as face and heel. The only, THE ONLY good thing about him are the background chuckling whenever you have a wrestler owning someone at the microphone.

Cole is better at background chuckling too.

Fire Lawler. Bring in JBL.

Aiii

So not worth it
Cole is not a good announcer though. He doesn't recognise most of the moves for fucks sake.

Worse of all, he tries to cover it up by saying stuff as "high risk maneuver" or "he's coming off the top rope" instead of calling the actual move.

Also, "vintage this" and "vintage that"

Kyoufu

Cole is not a good announcer though. He doesn't recognise most of the moves for fucks sake.

Worse of all, he tries to cover it up by saying stuff as "high risk maneuver" or "he's coming off the top rope" instead of calling the actual move.

That's what he's told to say.

I'LL SEE YOU..... AT SUMMERSLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brock should get a mute gimmick like essentially back in his debut days.

Brock said he'd see HBK before Summerslam. If this was attitude era he would F5 HBK while he was at church. Like.. right on the altar!
Whatever the case, it will probably be some sort of attack outside the ring.

This just shows how little attention I pay when Lesnar gets the microphone, or of this storyline in general.
To save from using up another one of Lesnar's dates WWE will probably just have HHH receive a phone call telling him Shawn was attacked by a MYSTERY attacker, HHH will go to the hospital and HBK will be like "it was you Hunter" "it was Lesnar....URGH"*dead*
Then HHH will start yelling stuff like IT'S PERSONAL! THIS BUSINESS!

Oh man now i've got the HHH/HBK SS2002 hype vid in my mind, now that was one hell of a Summerslam.

Anth0ny

wat

He was awesome as the crazy, perverted bastard in the Attitude Era. He meshed with JR like no other. Also, it sounded like he actually cared back then. Not so much now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am starting to believe Cole's fed a lot of lines. If you watch his commentary with Mick Foley on some of the WWE's 'Classic' dvd releases. Dude knows his shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
That's what he's told to say.

I'll believe he's fed alot of his lines, sure. The vintage stuff is just filler he says, I doubt he's fed every one of his lines.

Regardless, the commentary is shit, wether its Cole channeling Vince or Cole being Cole.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one dying for a Schiavone YouShoot?

Cole was intolerable on the commentary booth a few months ago. But, recently he has calmed down and is doing a decent job. Sure, Cole doesn't call the moves 100%, but he isn't taking away from the match that goes on anymore which was my biggest gripe with him. He actually did a better job on commentary than Lawler did last night.

Cole was intolerable on the commentary booth a few months ago. But, recently he has calmed down and is doing a decent job. Sure, Cole doesn't call the moves 100%, but he isn't taking away from the match that goes on anymore which was my biggest gripe with him. He actually did a better job on commentary than Lawler did last night.

Yeah Cole has gotten better but both Cole and Lawler sound so bored on the mic most of the time it doesnt really matter. The commentary still sucks.

Bring back JR, get Striker back on commentary, get Booker on Raw. I just want someone to be marking the fuck out and getting me pumped by them being pumped during matches.

Commentary is probably the most important part of the presentation and they really are doing a poor job in that regard. A meh match can seem great with the right people calling it and right now they dont have the right people calling matches.

Better commentary would probably help ratings as well.

bangai-o

Banned
ifthey ever do decide to let Lawler go, we will have to suffer thru another storyline with him in some tag matches and an awful ppv match and another Raw going away match.

Dynedom

Vince does not like it when commentators continuously call out wrestling moves. I believe Joey Styles mentioned this. Dude was constantly berated by Vince or something.

Anth0ny

Yeah Cole has gotten better but both Cole and Lawler sound so bored on the mic most of the time it doesnt really matter. The commentary still sucks.

Bring back JR, get Striker back on commentary, get Booker on Raw. I just want someone to be marking the fuck out and getting me pumped by them being pumped during matches.

Commentary is probably the most important part of the presentation and they really are doing a poor job in that regard. A meh match can seem great with the right people calling it and right now they dont have the right people calling matches.

Better commentary would probably help ratings as well.

I can already hear modern day Cole and King calling the 98 hell in a cell...

*Foley falls off cage into announce table*

*silence*

Cole: ohmygod

*silence*

Top Bottom