• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

I haven't watched any WWE since Mania, and even then I only watched the Owens/Jericho match. Decided it was just not worth wasting my time on when there's such a ridiculous wealth of good wrestling to watch from the world over.

Got a couple of major problems with WWE that conspire to keep me away - firstly, the presentation, it's so fucking sterile, so safe and big. There's no edge, and I'm not talking about Attitude Era bullshit, but rather the atmosphere. Secondly, the matches, more specifically the road agents laying out the same boring-ass matches with the same tired ideas. It's been years since WWE have had such a strong crew of in-ring talent, but a lot of the time it goes to waste.

Mr Socko meets Mr Co....err...Joey Ryan...?
Link

There's only one Mr. Cocko! Here he is applying the Cock-face Crippler :p

BpOvMxv.gif

Three things.
1. Twin peaks was amazing last night, Mr c is always awesome and the ending made me mark out.
2. Had the weirdest dream of AJ styles vs Vader in some weird public Rooftop match. It began with Vader striking AJ with a guitar Jarret style. Then fast for towards the end there's some other building nearby and for some reason he jumps between the two doing a 900 splash and barely grabbing the rail, he will die for the business.
3. Good morning

The Joey Ryan dickflip spot is 1000x better than Lio fucking Rush acting like he's indestructible. Glad he's fucking off to NXT, won't have to see his overrated ass shitting up any shows in the future.

He's a tiny human being who's been wrestling for 4 years and decided his gimmick should be "I'ma zombie who can't feel pain, lol". Fuuuuuuck that guy. Hope he has fun on 205 Live.

He's a tiny human being who's been wrestling for 4 years and decided his gimmick should be "I'ma zombie who can't feel pain, lol". Fuuuuuuck that guy. Hope he has fun on 205 Live.

Oh damn I assumed he just booked the no sell spot as a 'fuck you I'm off to WWE' thing.

Wish it was Joey Janela going to WWE, I think he'd be great

He's 'Blackheart' Lio, so he comes out with bodypaint like Finn (because of course he does) and stalks his way to the ring like a zombie...then wrestles exactly the same, except he now can take a shit-ton of damage now and that's OK, or something. Because he's 'blackheart'. Oh, and he wins with a pedigree and does HHH mannerisms, haha. What an original guy, definitely haven't seen that before from a newly signed WWE wrestler.

And yeah, Janela's immeasurably better in every aspect but athleticism. And it's not like WWE's lacking for overly-athletic guys at the moment, so would't be at all surprised to see Lio lost in the NXT/205 mix.

Barry. Y'know. Barry.

He does post here occasionally, perhaps all this Barry talk will summon him...

*waits for Barry*

Barry's tweet was my thoughts exactly on this: https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/894124682827501569

I have a super high tolerance of fighting-spirit/no sells/1 counts/whatever but that is some next level shit. Awful.

Yup, I could even forgive that shit if the storyline's good enough - Ospreay kicking out of a burning hammer onto a chair, for instance. Totally egregious no-selling that I can see why someone might get annoyed about, but at that point in the match and in the story I didn't really care because I was too invested in the outcome. Perhaps the CZW crowd who've followed the whole thing are the same, but from that tepid crowd reaction and split opinions online post-show, I doubt it.

Jamie OD

I view WWE as my sports team in that I'm always going to be following them through the good times and the bad. With that said I don't have it in me to watch much of the TV anymore. Watching a Youtube clip or two the next morning is a much better use of my time. I came to this conclusion all because of Road Dogg's tweet about how wins and losses don't matter. That is such a bullshit mindset to have if you're booking wrestling. If you want to say winning isn't always good and losing isn't always bad then I'm right behind you on that but if none of it matters at all then why should I care enough to get invested in the story? There's still things I like about WWE but none of them are enough to make me watch anything close to a full episode of Raw or Smackdown anymore.

There's wrestlers I like so I'm going to watch them. The womens division is actually good. I love AJ. So, yeah.

Tho, I haven't watched any from 2002-2014 so maybe I'm in a different situation. 14-16 was a good amount of fastforwarding.

I wish I didn't need to go back and rewatch so I'm just saving myself trouble for the future cause I know I want to follow X wrestlers on raw and sd so I'll stop myself from needing to rewatch 2017- X year as well in the future

Not to keep harping on "back then" but look at this RAW card for 1996:

Shawn Michaels & Diesel defeated Davey Boy Smith & Yokozuna (w/ Jim Cornette) via count-out

The 1-2-3 Kid (w/ Ted DiBiase) defeated Hakushi

Bret Hart (c) vs. Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) ended in a no contest in a WWF Championship Match

All compacted into an hour long show. The hour long format is just so good and I'm knocking out a RAW, Nitro and half of a next show in the time it takes to get through some of modern RAW.

I also know it'll never happen again, but I just love the look and feel of a venue like the Stockton Civic Auditorium or Manhattan Center:

Big fan of Boots hating Lio as much as I do, fuck that oaf

RE: sets, the new one is incredible but I still miss the show-specific ones like the Backlash one

Top Bottom