• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Watching old promos, why is it so hard for dudes nowadays? Like, how the fuck can so many of the guys from the 70's & 80's be so damn good and so damn believable, whereas today a good talker is so damn rare? Scripting obviously plays a part, but that doesn't account for the lack of promo talent on the indies where there is no one to script the promos. I doubt we'll ever again see the likes of Dusty, Terry, Flair, Harley, etc.

Read Gordon Solie's book a while back and he basically went through his process as an interviewer - the guy would turn up to tape, Gordon would tell him what his opponent had said about him, would tell him the dates he had to plug and that was it. For the less well equipped Gordon would lead them through the interview, asking pertinent questions and steering the conversation, but the best guys just went at it and Gordon didn't have to do a damn thing. Of course, with Terry or Buzz he'd have to watch out for them getting too crazy, but that was amazing in itself - always loved watching Gordon get uncomfortable when Terry was talking about his love of mutilating people, just as much as watching him be in complete goddamn awe of the way guys like Dusty & Flair worked the mic.

The hits keep on coming for Enzo.

All of this doesn't shock me with him. He clearly leans into the baller lifestyle he's emulated. I'm not saying that the locker room culture still needs to be stale and not changing with the times, but bringing in people to the locker room is always going to piss people off if they're not respectful

Watching old promos, why is it so hard for dudes nowadays? Like, how the fuck can so many of the guys from the 70's & 80's be so damn good and so damn believable, whereas today a good talker is so damn rare? Scripting obviously plays a part, but that doesn't account for the lack of promo talent on the indies where there is no one to script the promos. I doubt we'll ever again see the likes of Dusty, Terry, Flair, Harley, etc.

Coke? Speed?

More seriously, I think WWE moving into these more live feeling backstage promos has ruined it. The pre-recorded stuff definitely allowed for more trial and error. Not to mention so many promos now are overly complex in their process. Every one has 4 people or someone being interrupted. Whatever happened to just walking out from backstage and talking mid promo? Now the entire place pauses for the wrestler to do their entrance.

RBH

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Scott Dawson recently suffered a bicep injury ... and we're told it's looking like he may require surgery.

Sources tell us Dawson injured his right bicep and surgery options are currently being discussed, which means that a SummerSlam match involving The Hardy Boyz may be off the table.

It's unclear when the injury occurred, but his arm looked heavily wrapped on Saturday at an event.

According to information found online, a partial tear would heal in three to six weeks. However, if surgery is needed, a full recovery would take four to six months.

The injury couldn't have come at a worse time. The Revival has finally been getting a renewed push on Raw after their initial push was derailed earlier this year when Dash Wilder fractured his jaw.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/scott-dawson-injured/#.WYimodPyu8W

Egg0

Banned
This whole Enzo thing is pretty wild. Considering a month ago there were reports of Cass having heat backstage for being a huge Trumper.

God they're both varying degrees of awful.

Draxal

This whole Enzo thing is pretty wild. Considering a month ago there were reports of Cass having heat backstage for being a huge Trumper.

God they're both varying degrees of awful.

The Cass thing sounds like pure bullshit (hell you see in Gotch's shoot that he had nothing against Cass).

He's an NYU alum, one of the most liberal colleges in America.

cordy

Banned
200.gif

Enzo - "Ain't nobody coming to see you Cass!"

RBH

Read Gordon Solie's book a while back and he basically went through his process as an interviewer - the guy would turn up to tape, Gordon would tell him what his opponent had said about him, would tell him the dates he had to plug and that was it. For the less well equipped Gordon would lead them through the interview, asking pertinent questions and steering the conversation, but the best guys just went at it and Gordon didn't have to do a damn thing. Of course, with Terry or Buzz he'd have to watch out for them getting too crazy, but that was amazing in itself - always loved watching Gordon get uncomfortable when Terry was talking about his love of mutilating people, just as much as watching him be in complete goddamn awe of the way guys like Dusty & Flair worked the mic.
It's pretty crazy how few people there are in wrestling right now that sound natural on the mic. I don't know if it's because of lack of practice or if we were just lucky to stumble upon so many great talkers at one time in the 80's, but it's a sore spot in wrestling right now regardless.

Poor Bayley :(

And it sucks for Dawson. Revival are having a bad time on the main roster.

This Enzo stuff keeps getting wilder. I could see him gone by the end of next year if he keeps being a hassle.

Draxal

It really makes sense why Corey and JBL were burying Enzo now.

If Enzo wasn't such a ratings magnet he would have been gone.

Draxal

Nah, he got dumped

it was this iirc. Got dumped but wasn't upset about it. Thing with Aries, was that he was supposedly very negative, but he wasn't doing the things Enzo was doing.

its still weird with Thea Trinidad working with Almas.

Someone needs to pull Enzo to the side and say: "Enzo stop being a dumbass, you're not a celebrity you are a carny and if you get fired here you won't make money anywhere else"

The 70s and 80s were a much more bombastic time. Gen X and Millennials are conditioned to avoid cliches and cheesy lines, so we're more subdued with our speech patterns. The attitude era caught on because it felt more real and genuine, but even that would be seen as too cartoonish today. I think the pendulum is starting to swing back as we are looking to escape reality more and more, but it will be a while before we get new wrestlers who grew up feeling comfortable with acting like cartoon characters.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Good news is I don't think there are any major events without English commentary. Just one more G1 show before the final 3 and those will have English commentary.

Good, because I haven't a clue who's fighting who or what their promos are or anything haha

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Good, because I haven't a clue who's fighting who or what their promos are or anything haha

I've been watching new japan and dragon gate for 5 + years and I don't need a translator to follow it.

The 70s and 80s were a much more bombastic time. Gen X and Millennials are conditioned to avoid cliches and cheesy lines, so we're more subdued with our speech patterns. The attitude era caught on because it felt more real and genuine, but even that would be seen as too cartoonish today. I think the pendulum is starting to swing back as we are looking to escape reality more and more, but it will be a while before we get new wrestlers who grew up feeling comfortable with acting like cartoon characters.

70s wrestling is pretty low key when it comes to promos outside of shouty foreign heels.

But you're right in that I think wrestlers these days don't believe in doing a crazier promo.

Character work is also extremely weak these days, meaning less guys have a base to build on.

Bronx-Man

Banned
What is a character in today's WWE? Who is Seth Rollins? Who is Dean Ambrose? Who is Roman Reigns? These are just dorks in black leather and come out every week and spout whatever dipshit catchphrase some dumb exec in marketing came up for them inbetween having matches so dull, they make Randy Orton yawn.

Dalton Castle? That's a character. Marty Scurll? That's a character. Joey Ryan? That's a character. Seth Rollins is a walking WWEShop t-shirt design.

Top Bottom