• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Probably a really stupid/random question, but :

Let's say you're Enzo. You see multiple websites (not just dirtsheet ones) saying that you're in trouble with your boss/promotion, that you're on thin ice, you fucked up by doing x/y/z things...

Do you look at yourself at that point and go "Wow, this is exactly how I can save my job?"

Or do you just let it burn at this point?

Foggy

no flips, just doctor trips

giphy.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is a character in today's WWE? Who is Seth Rollins? Who is Dean Ambrose? Who is Roman Reigns? These are just dorks in black leather and come out every week and spout whatever dipshit catchphrase some dumb exec in marketing came up for them inbetween having matches so dull, they make Randy Orton yawn.

Dalton Castle? That's a character. Marty Scurll? That's a character. Joey Ryan? That's a character. Seth Rollins is a walking WWEShop t-shirt design.

tumblr_os6p49mfI01u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Jamie OD

The 70s and 80s were a much more bombastic time. Gen X and Millennials are conditioned to avoid cliches and cheesy lines, so we're more subdued with our speech patterns. The attitude era caught on because it felt more real and genuine, but even that would be seen as too cartoonish today. I think the pendulum is starting to swing back as we are looking to escape reality more and more, but it will be a while before we get new wrestlers who grew up feeling comfortable with acting like cartoon characters.

I think it can head towards the scenery chewing direction of Broken Matt Hardy but that is probably too much of a joke for most people to handle.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Wrestling is it at its best when it's dumb as hell, in a good way. Robocop saving Sting, the Yeti, Booker T & Stone Cold fighting in a grocery store, Breezango's match with the Usos, Daniel Bryan ranting about bears on commentary, Toru Yano hawking his DVD, that Dunne vs Bate match for ATTACK where they dressed up as each other, Joey Janela's Spring Break, etc.

You can have your serious stuff, of course. But there comes a point where you got too many dudes coming out to generic buttrock wearing black trunks and doing restholds for 15 minutes. There's a reason why people still remember the Honk-A-Meter and not whatever match Finn Balor's had in the past year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People complained about Sting vs Triple H at WM and that was one of the most dumb fun matches I've ever seen

everyone wants serious no storyline 5 star movez no sell meltzfests

Sephzilla

For me wrestling is best when it's simple and makes sense - whether it's serious, dumb, or funny.

--Sami Zayn vs Neville was a simple feud that was straight to the point and made sense. Zayn was on a quest to prove that he was a champion and could win the title "the right way"
--Austin vs Hart was a pretty simple feud. Two dudes who hated each other, represented different ideals, and both wanted to prove they were better.
--Bret vs Owen was a simple story. Owen felt Bret was hogging the spotlight, causing a rift between the two.
--Daniel Bryan was an underdog being held back, who was out to prove to HHH that he had what it took to win the championship.

Wrestling simply needs to make sense. And when every story involves people losing/winning constantly it stops making sense because what's the point of a story if it doesn't have a solid ending?

klonere

Banned
People complained about Sting vs Triple H at WM and that was one of the most dumb fun matches I've ever seen

everyone wants serious no storyline 5 star movez no sell meltzfests

It was pretty fucking terrible if you weren't watching live during the 90s/00s

which probably doesn't apply to like, 85% of current WWE audience so fair enough

Heroman

Banned
Wrestling is it at its best when it's dumb as hell, in a good way. Robocop saving Sting, the Yeti, Booker T & Stone Cold fighting in a grocery store, Breezango's match with the Usos, Daniel Bryan ranting about bears on commentary, Toru Yano hawking his DVD, that Dunne vs Bate match for ATTACK where they dressed up as each other, Joey Janela's Spring Break, etc.

You can have your serious stuff, of course. But there comes a point where you got too many dudes coming out to generic buttrock wearing black trunks and doing restholds for 15 minutes. There's a reason why people still remember the Honk-A-Meter and not whatever match Finn Balor's had in the past year.
In 5 years people will remember the Okada vs Omega fued they will not remember anything yano has done .

What is a character in today's WWE? Who is Seth Rollins? Who is Dean Ambrose? Who is Roman Reigns? These are just dorks in black leather and come out every week and spout whatever dipshit catchphrase some dumb exec in marketing came up for them inbetween having matches so dull, they make Randy Orton yawn.

Dalton Castle? That's a character. Marty Scurll? That's a character. Joey Ryan? That's a character. Seth Rollins is a walking WWEShop t-shirt design.

Roman Reigns is a decent character now that he stopped being a ridiculous underdog

Pikma

Banned
Wrestling is at it's best when a man breaks the arms of a dozen guys with his miracle ass, too bad you guys wouldn't know because you don't watch HOLY DDT

This is way off-base, IMO. Comedic/dumb wrestling is in no way inherently better than serious or dramatic wrestling.

For me wrestling is best when it's simple and makes sense - whether it's serious, dumb, or funny.

--Sami Zayn vs Neville was a simple feud that was straight to the point and made sense. Zayn was on a quest to prove that he was a champion and could win the title "the right way"
--Austin vs Hart was a pretty simple feud. Two dudes who hated each other, represented different ideals, and both wanted to prove they were better.
--Bret vs Owen was a simple story. Owen felt Bret was hogging the spotlight, causing a rift between the two.
--Daniel Bryan was an underdog being held back, who was out to prove to HHH that he had what it took to win the championship.

Wrestling simply needs to make sense. And when every story involves people losing/winning constantly it stops making sense because what's the point of a story if it doesn't have a solid ending?

This is a much more accurate read I think. People just want good stories. Be it comedic, dramatic, horrific, or otherwise. Anything can be successful if it is quality.

From Pwinsider:

Brock on Miz Tv so does that mean Miz will get another chair thrown at him?

So are they doing a triple threat at SS? Or will the two winners face each other?

In any case, gee, I wonder who will win these totally evenly matched matchups?

This is way off-base, IMO. Comedic/dumb wrestling is in no way inherently better than serious or dramatic wrestling.

This is a much more accurate read I think. People just want good stories. Be it comedic, dramatic, horrific, or otherwise. Anything can be successful if it is quality.

So are they doing a triple threat at SS? Or will the two winners face each other?

In any case, gee, I wonder who will win these totally evenly matched matchups?

They could easily swerve one.

Mahonay

Banned
Fuck yeahhhh I have internet. Sweet baby Jesus.

I'm glad that Optimum is the provider in my neighborhood, they are excellent for regular cable internet. On a speed test it shows I'm getting 37mbps upload on wireless which is awesome.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
God you can see Roman's face falling and The Rock looking around like "really? You hate him THAT much?"

You just get the feeling that they both thought that this might've just worked somehow. There's no getting Reigns over. He NEEDS to be a heel. Jim Ross said it best before Wrestlemania 32

what I dont understand is with the heat he gets, and his asshole arrogant faces he has nailed down (thats a compliment), he would be a monster heel.

Doesnt the business need good heels as much as faces? I just dont get it.

Sephzilla

what I dont understand is with the heat he gets, and his asshole arrogant faces he has nailed down (thats a compliment), he would be a monster heel.

Doesnt the business need good heels as much as faces? I just dont get it.

The reason is because Vince desperately needs to show that he can still make a huge babyface superstar and turning Roman heel would be effectively admitting he couldn't make it work.

Top Bottom