• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

I actually wonder what the press would be like now if Ronda came to WWE

"WWE turns to washed out UFC star to boost ratings"
"Ronda Rousey, now unable to win real fights, goes to win fake fights"

None of them said that when Brock went back, and his UFC run ended just as poorly as Ronda's. Almost the exact same way actually. Loses the title, then gets KO'd in the first round of a NYE card.

Brock was a huge draw coming off of two bad losses. Ronda probably would be too.

Sephzilla

None of them said that when Brock went back, and his UFC run ended just as poorly as Ronda's. Almost the exact same way actually. Loses the title, then gets KO'd in the first round of a NYE card.

Brock was a huge draw coming off of two bad losses. Ronda probably would be too.

The reason Brock didn't have the negative buzz upon his return was that Brock was still a former WWE Champion. Plus Brock looked a little more competitive than Rousey did.

The reason Brock didn't have the negative buzz upon his return was that Brock was still a former WWE Champion.

That's not why he was a draw. He was a draw because people saw him as legit compared to other WWE guys despite his losses.

The same could be said of Ronda.

Like come on guys, Ronda did a million PPV buys on a Friday night. She is a draw. Maybe not as much as she was two years ago, but she's still way more of a draw than anyone in WWE. They'd be stupid not to use her if she wants to do it.

And Brock did not look competitive at all in his last two fights. Not even close. Got starched by Cain and destroyed by Overreem.

Sephzilla

That's not why he was a draw. He was a draw because people saw him as legit compared to other WWE guys despite his losses.

The same could be said of Ronda.

Like come on guys, Ronda did a million PPV buys on a Friday night. She is a draw. Maybe not as much as she was two years ago, but she's still way more of a draw than anyone in WWE. They'd be stupid not to use her if she wants to do it.

And Brock did not look competitive at all in his last two fights. Not even close. Got starched by Cain and destroyed by Overreem.

Brock being a returning former WWE champion is absolutely a big part of why he was a draw. See also: Goldberg

And Brock still looked more competitive than Rousey, who was pretty much done the moment she took any blow from Nunes

Brock being a returning former WWE champion is absolutely a big part of why he was a draw.

See also: Goldberg

It's not why he garnered so much interest. When Brock left, he was a top guy, but that's all he was. The time away helped, but it was his UFC run that helped him reach the status he currently has.

And no, Brock did not look competitive at all in his last two fights. He was killed. Go watch them back. He had nothing for Cain and nothing for Overreem.

Sephzilla

It's not why he garnered so much interest. When Brock left, he was a top guy, but that's all he was. The time away helped, but it was his UFC run that helped him reach the status he currently has.

Then why was Goldberg also a big draw when he came back?

Yeah, Brock conquering UFC mattered. But him being a former WWE Champion was also a big part of the buzz for his return.

And no, Brock did not look competitive at all in his last two fights. He was killed. Go watch them back.

I'm talking about compared to Rousey, Brock look competitive. Context matters. Brock's last loss also came against a guy who had more experience than Rousey's two opponents combined.

Then why was Goldberg also a big draw when he came back?

I'm talking about compared to Rousey, Brock look competitive. Context matters. Brock's last loss also came against a guy who had more experience than Rousey's two opponents combined.

He and Rousey were both killed in the first round and were non-competitive. Context or no, their runs ended the same. Brock in no way looked competitive in his last two fights.

As for Goldberg, he was a draw because he's a legend yes. I'm not saying Brock's drawing power has nothing to do with his prior run. It's just not why he's booked the way he is. He doesn't get five dates a year and endless squashes and ultra protected if he's just "Brock Lesnar: former WWE guy". The UFC run put him on a different level.

Sephzilla

I dunno, I don't remember Brock looking like he completely forgot how to fight after getting tapped on the face once like Rousey did.

I dunno, I don't remember Brock looking like he completely forgot how to fight after getting tapped on the face once like Rousey did.

Then you must not remember the Cain or Alistair fights. Hell, the Cain fight gave us this:

Lesnar-5.gif

Anth0ny

Ronda doesn't have the mental state for wreslting. She gets rattle too easy

I imagine she'd be booked exactly like Brock. Limited dates, all her matches are squashes, making more money than the rest of the full time roster.

She'd probably be okay with that. Not much to be rattled by!

Sephzilla

Ronda doesn't have the mental state for wreslting. She gets rattle too easy

this is actually worth mentioning. Brock took a couple losses and had to step away from UFC for health reasons. Ronda almost retired before the Nunes fight because she was shook from the Holmes fight. I wonder how she'd react when a WWE crowd doesn't react the way she expects them to react to her

somedevil

Matt Riddle on NJPW "Not 100%, but it could happen. They like my look & style and our talks were positive for sure."

The question is can he do tours in Japan without weed? If not get ready for headline Matt Riddle arrested in Japan.

somedevil

Raw 8/7 viewership:

8pm: 3.263
9pm: 3.314
10pm: 3.144

Avg: 3.240

Going by this number smackdown viewership will be from 2.592 to 2.754

Strax

Brock's run in UFC is 90% the reason why he's a draw. Before that he was just a wrestler that talked (heh) the talk. Him going to UFC was him walking the walk.

Mahonay

Banned
I know Bo is a fucking invalid that believes things like Sandy Hook conspiracies, but Ronda too? Sad. Didn't know much about her personal views.

Sephzilla

Earlier we talked to Jumpin' Zach West. Let's go now to that, interview.

Folks, here's Jumpin' Zach West. Zach, a while back, what a match you had with Menome.

Yip. Probably the hardest match I ever had in my life. But I don't like it, when things aren't my, goin' my way. Menome Cruz, you turned the tables on me. You turn the tables in the wrong way. You got me, mad now. I've stood around, I've listened to everything you had to say. I've did everything necessary. But when you turn around and you backstab me one way or another, and you treat-CHEAT me out of what's rightfully mine, that's when I get angry! Now I'm the one doin' the challengin'! I'm issuing a challenge to you, Menome Cruz! Get in the ring with me! This time I'm goin' FULL FORCE!

The Huggerz vs. #BRENEMIES at GWF 7. Titles up for grabs. Rights to Filth. on the line. But if you and Browny lose, you must disband... FOREVER!

What say you, coward?

Promo of the year

Earlier we talked to Jumpin' Zach West. Let's go now to that, interview.

Folks, here's Jumpin' Zach West. Zach, a while back, what a match you had with Menome.

Yip. Probably the hardest match I ever had in my life. But I don't like it, when things aren't my, goin' my way. Menome Cruz, you turned the tables on me. You turn the tables in the wrong way. You got me, mad now. I've stood around, I've listened to everything you had to say. I've did everything necessary. But when you turn around and you backstab me one way or another, and you treat-CHEAT me out of what's rightfully mine, that's when I get angry! Now I'm the one doin' the challengin'! I'm issuing a challenge to you, Menome Cruz! Get in the ring with me! This time I'm goin' FULL FORCE!

The Huggerz vs. #BRENEMIES at GWF 7. Titles up for grabs. Rights to Filth. on the line. But if you and Browny lose, you must disband... FOREVER!

What say you, coward?
Fire this goober.

Foggy

Thinking back on Honda Housey's acting in F&F and Expendables, she's gonna be a gong show on the mic. Also her sour, angry face is going to be mercilessly mocked.

Browny

Banned
I'll have to ask my fellow Brenemy if he agrees to the terms, because we're a team and don't just make stipulations without talking to each other.

Huggers? I think you'll find the Brenemies

fa6dd9e6408d1437f6533d2e621bc4b8a0605dc9_hq.gif

There is no potential irony or goldy or bronzy or anything else attached to this gif being AA. Although if it comes down to it, I'm Jason Jordan.

I may come to regret that statement.

Sephzilla

Huggers? I think you'll find the Brenemies

fa6dd9e6408d1437f6533d2e621bc4b8a0605dc9_hq.gif

There is no potential irony or goldy or bronzy or anything else attached to this gif being AA. Although if it comes down to it, I'm Jason Jordan.

I may come to regret that statement.

The follow up story is that Browny is Zach's biological son

Top Bottom