• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Kensation

WWE does impressive spots?
More like impression spots.
giphy.gif

Production: the set, cameras, commentary, announce tables
Matches: I like 15-20 min matches with just as many impressive spots vs 30-40 min.

Keep in mind I only watched one njpw match

You pretty much summed up why I enjoy NJPW over WWE right now. WWE has gone too far down the production route and compacting all their matches into, what feels like to me, paint by numbers spot-spot-spot type matches.

I watch the two for different reasons but try to not compare them as 1:1 as I find they're slightly different beasts

Egg0

Banned
I think the most impressive spots in the WWE are usually in their money in the bank matches.

Mostly because they look like someone just got killed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm racking my brain trying to think of the last few impressive WWE spots I've seen that haven't been Randy Orton murdering a Singh Bro.

Edit: I guess this one too

cena-nakamura-head-drop-reverse-angle.gif

Impressive to NJPW fans seems to be based on how much of a chance of killing someone happens
�����🤔�����

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
shoot: OT trying to make the term "milkshake duck" stick is cringe worthy. Virtually every turn of phrase had a discernible meaning at one point. The fact you can get an entry on knowyourmeme doesn't mean you're evolving the English language.

Hasney

shoot: OT trying to make the term "milkshake duck" stick is cringe worthy. Virtually every turn of phrase had a discernible meaning at one point. The fact you can get an entry on knowyourmeme doesn't mean you're evolving the English language.

Are you legit shook over this development?

klonere

Banned
WWE has had plenty of impressive dangerous ass spots in recent history, with plenty of talented athletes under their employ that can wrestle on par with the best in NJPW.

But it's not about the spots themselves, it's about the reactions they get from the crowd emotions they invoke in you and results of the matches that matter. It's about how Omega getting that win over Okada made me leap from my couch and start shouting. The personal investment in the performers, which for me, is really hard to do with WWE performers because I have zero trust in the booking to do right by them.

Spots are spots, they make a cool gif, they can pop a crowd. Inventive or dangerous spots can definitely elevate a match and I enjoy them greatly. But it's what surrounds them is what matters. And there are many, many promotions doing all that stuff better than WWE right now.

Top Bottom