• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Foggy

WWE has had plenty of impressive dangerous ass spots in recent history, with plenty of talented athletes under their employ that can wrestle on par with the best in NJPW.

But it's not about the spots themselves, it's about the reactions they get from the crowd emotions they invoke in you and results of the matches that matter. It's about how Omega getting that win over Okada made me leap from my couch and start shouting. The personal investment in the performers, which for me, is really hard to do with WWE performers because I have zero trust in the booking to do right by them.

Spots are spots, they make a cool gif, they can pop a crowd. Inventive or dangerous spots can definitely elevate a match and I enjoy them greatly. But it's what surrounds them is what matters. And there are many, many promotions doing all that stuff better than WWE right now.

What a mark

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Steve Blackman was rad.

That is all.

Steve Blackman Feels the Glow:

xMj1CcX.gif

Pikma

Banned
Just read that WWE hasn't been able to sell out any of the shows in Brooklyn

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😧😧😂😂😂😂

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's no actual reason to feel happy about wrestling doing bad in America. It's not opening some door for New Japan Pro Wrestling. It means wrestling is rapidly becoming even more niche and lame in the mainstream.

Angry Grimace

It's in nearly every wrestling site. He was meant to have returned by now, but they are going to repackage him and delay it.

The source is Alvarez so it's probably not true.

Ziggler's brother was convicted of murder like a month ago.

Anth0ny

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😧😧😂😂😂😂

Unlike the previous two years, when NXT, SummerSlam and Raw all sold out in advance, none of the three events were sold out this year as of press time. Depending on how it is set up, the capacity for the shows was about 13,500 two years ago and a little bit more last year. In the case of SummerSlam itself, it was because of far more expensive tickets being put on sale as the cheapest primary market ticket available is for $500. The secondary market bottom price has risen from $139 to $155, so there is no lack of interest in tickets and whatever ends up unsold would be more due to price.

The same can’t be said for the other three shows. NXT still has $25 tickets left, and the secondary market price for entry dropped from $40 to $36. Raw has sold out the cheapest tickets over the past week, but you can still get secondary market tickets for as low as $45, and primary tickets left are all $125 and up.

Smackdown remains the same as last week, with tickets as low as $25 available from primary market outlets and as low as $38 for the secondary market.

The first NXT sellout two years ago was legit in the sense the ticket demand was there. Last year’s sellout was legit, but it was based on ticket brokers and scalpers buying up the building all three nights expecting a big return due to demand. However, NXT tickets in particular didn’t have as big a demand and the prices crashed, so this year the ticket brokers weren’t as strong in buying up anything but SummerSlam

-too expensive
-4 shows in 4 days in one market is ridiculous no matter how hardcore the audience is
-NXT feels dead

WWE has had plenty of impressive dangerous ass spots in recent history, with plenty of talented athletes under their employ that can wrestle on par with the best in NJPW.

But it's not about the spots themselves, it's about the reactions they get from the crowd emotions they invoke in you and results of the matches that matter. It's about how Omega getting that win over Okada made me leap from my couch and start shouting. The personal investment in the performers, which for me, is really hard to do with WWE performers because I have zero trust in the booking to do right by them.

Spots are spots, they make a cool gif, they can pop a crowd. Inventive or dangerous spots can definitely elevate a match and I enjoy them greatly. But it's what surrounds them is what matters. And there are many, many promotions doing all that stuff better than WWE right now.

Yup.

When I look at the matches I liked best with NJPW this year, they almost all had great stories to them.

Omega's quest to beat the unstoppable juggernaut that is Okada through three matches. Not being able to hit the OWA in match one. Okada getting a foot to the rope and being in the dominant position at the end of the broadway in match two, and finally prevailing in match three

Shibata having to win the New Japan Cup simply to get the right to a title shot, as Okada had said he would never willingly give him a shot - holding him in contempt for abandoning ship when NJPW were struggling.

Naito tapping out to Tanahashi's cloverleaf at dominion added extra juice to their long running feud when it came time for their G1 match, and had me almost believing it could happen again, and rooting for naito not to tap out just like a pro wrestling fan would do pre wwe.

Omega vs Naito had the story of Naito attempting to get the WK main event he was screwed out of four years ago.

The only ubermatch this year without a story to it was Okada/Suzuki (the g1 match). Last ten minutes of that is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in wrestling.

good stuff

Pikma

Banned
There's no actual reason to feel happy about wrestling doing bad in America. It's not opening some door for New Japan Pro Wrestling. It means wrestling is rapidly becoming even more niche and lame in the mainstream.
Lol, I don't care about the business, I just want Vince to get madder and madder until he dies

Bronx-Man

Banned
Yup.

When I look at the matches I liked best with NJPW this year, they almost all had great stories to them.

Omega's quest to beat the unstoppable juggernaut that is Okada through three matches. Not being able to hit the OWA in match one. Okada getting a foot to the rope and being in the dominant position at the end of the broadway in match two, and finally prevailing in match three

Shibata having to win the New Japan Cup simply to get the right to a title shot, as Okada had said he would never willingly give him a shoy - holding him in contempt for abandoning ship when NJPW were struggling.

Naito tapping out to Tanahashi's cloverleaf at dominion added extra juice to their long running feud, and had me almost believing it could happen again, and rooting for naito not to tap out just like a pro wrestling fan would do pre wwe.

Omega vs Naito had the story of Naito attempting to get the WK main event he was screwed out of four years ago.

The only ubermatch this year without a story to it was Okada/Suzuki (the g1 match). Last ten minutes of that is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in wrestling.
I see that, but here's the thing:

Cena and Corbin are really, really mad at each other

I wonder if Southpaw will ever have "wrestling".

I bet they could do something real dumb by emulating the old Memphis type presentation of a ring in a shitty studio with a crowd of 7 people.

Hex

Banned
Yup.

Shibata having to win the New Japan Cup simply to get the right to a title shot, as Okada had said he would never willingly give him a shot - holding him in contempt for abandoning ship when NJPW were struggling.

Naito tapping out to Tanahashi's cloverleaf at dominion added extra juice to their long running feud when it came time for their G1 match, and had me almost believing it could happen again, and rooting for naito not to tap out just like a pro wrestling fan would do pre wwe.

good stuff

Even with Okada Suzuki you can point back to the Suzuki Gun invasion early in the year, and how they targeted Okada relentlessly

Even with Okada Suzuki you can point back to the Suzuki Gun invasion early in the year, and how they targeted Okada relentlessly

Suzuki targets everyone relentlessly though lol. They only did the one true beatdown at NYD.

The fact that it was a match with no real story about it, just two top guys who don't like each other going at it makes it impressive in a different way though. That strike exchange at the end...man.

He's sure over with the meltz:

Also returning was Hiromu Takahashi’s stuffed cat Darryl, who came out with one of his legs all taped up to sell the injury when Fale tore him limb from limb. After Naito beat Omega to win the tournament, and they had the big celebration, Naito took the huge G-1 trophy from Naoki Sugabayashi and teased throwing it over the top rope where it would have exploded, but in the end, didn’t do it. Naito later, with all of Los Ingobernables celebrating, Naito gave Darryl a paw bump.

Zach

The whole WrassleGAF community loves Angry Grimace, a lovely poster that angrily grimaces! *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you Angry Grimace is Darylist.

Jamie OD

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😧😧😂😂😂😂

Scalpers got cold feet.

Alright RassleGAFers, I just decided to become a NJPW World subscriber. Can I skip right to the end of the G1 Climax? Because that's a whole lotta show.

Also, any recommendations are appreciated.

Top Bottom