• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

kiguel182

Well, can't wait for all the NJPW stuff. I really (really) liked G1 and can't wait for more. I'm invested in a bunch of dudes so I'm curious what they will do in the future. Altought I have no idea how their schedule works so that's all a mystery to me.

Hmm, cool. Can't wait!

Do we know it there will be English commentary?

Have you tried the Japanese commentary? Although you can only understand about 10% of what they're saying, they're so much more passionate about the product (especially Nogami and Yoshino), that they really add to the matches.

I have been hearing that Chicago will be Juice v Omega, since he was born in IL and they want to use that to build him more

Thats what I heard too. I guess it makes sense.

I cant help but feel Juice was perfectly booked in G1 especially in a way that would get him over in Japan. Would be nice to see the match happen in front of a crowd where he is really over. But that may still be the case.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have you tried the Japanese commentary? Although you can only understand about 10% of what they're saying, they're so much more passionate about the product (especially Nogami and Yoshino), that they really add to the matches.

they say most of the move names in english anyway, what else do you need to understand in wrestling commentary? JBL's idiotic ramblings? or Cole's?

Well, can't wait for all the NJPW stuff. I really (really) liked G1 and can't wait for more. I'm invested in a bunch of dudes so I'm curious what they will do in the future. Altought I have no idea how their schedule works so that's all a mystery to me.

These are the main points:

The "Big 4" as it were are WK in January, Sakura Genesis in April, Dominion in June, and King of Pro Wrestling in October.

The New Japan Cup takes place in March and the winner can challenge for any singles title the following month.

The Best of the Super Juniors takes place in May/June, with the winner getting a Junior Heavyweight title shot at Dominion.

The G1 is July/August.

The annual Tag Team Tournament is November/December, with the winner getting a Heavyweight Tag Title shot at WK.

Off months like February, September, and early May typically have smaller shows that still have title matches, but aren't as hyped.

kiguel182

I've watched some of the G1 nights with Japanese commentary and altought they might be better it confuses me a bit the fact that I don't understand what they are saying. I won't stop watching it because of it but I do prefer it.

kiguel182

These are the main points:

The "Big 4" as it were are WK in January, Sakura Genesis in April, Dominion in June, and King of Pro Wrestling in October.

The New Japan Cup takes place in March and the winner can challenge for any singles title the following month.

The Best of the Super Juniors takes place in May/June, with the winner getting a Junior Heavyweight title shot at Dominion.

The G1 is July/August.

The annual Tag Team Tournament is November/December, with the winner getting a Heavyweight Tag Title shot at WK.

Off months like February, September, and early May typically have smaller shows that still have title matches, but aren't as hyped.

So this Destruction thing is a minor event?

Thanks! That gives a good overview of what to expect for the year.

There are three shows left in the year, which you can see on the schedule.

First Destruction which is split into three mini shows, then King of Pro Wrestling in October, then Power Struggle in November. Last year KOPW had an IWGP title match at the top of the card and PS had an IC title fight. One or both of them may have G1 briefcase defence matches (or one may happen in Destruction).

After that is the Dome (Wrestle Kingdom on the 4th of January).

So this Destruction thing is a minor event?

Thanks! That gives a good overview of what to expect for the year.

Yeah, typically the February (New Beginning) and September (Destruction) shows are relatively minor. Still somewhat important and have great matches, but not as hyped as a really big show like Dominion. Think of them as "B PPVs".

And yes, as mentioned above, there is also Power Struggle in November. Typically another show that isn't as hyped, but still mostly important and great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good look
tumblr_ounsuaZ1SV1qivspno1_540.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wonder what Adam Cole NXT name is?

Need to go with Bay Bay

Probably Adam Cole.

If they let Roddy Strong be Roddy Strong, I don't know why they would change Cole.

I still can't believe they signed Chris Hero, made him wrestle in a basketball jersey and then randomly gave his obvious match with Itami to Aleister Black for no apparent reason.

Probably Adam Cole.

If they let Roddy Strong be Roddy Strong, I don't know why they would change Cole.

I still can't believe they signed Chris Hero, made him wrestle in a basketball jersey and then randomly gave his obvious match with Itami to Aleister Black for no apparent reason.
As some people have said to me when I had similar thoughts, it seems Hero was hired more so to help out in the PC then wrestle himself.

Anyone taken dibs on the Takeover Brooklyn thread? I'd like to do it again like I have a few other times if it hasn't been claimed yet.
Haven't seen any claims and the times you done it have always been nicely done so I say go for it.

Probably Adam Cole.

Black didn't have a match and it's the biggest show of the year. He's significantly more important to their future plans (both in NXT and main roster) than Ohno. Ohno is more there to work with young guys and be a coach.

I think the storyline implication is that Itami's beat down of Ohno has him out of the picture. He hasn't shown up since then. I'd bet their feud picks back up after Takeover.

Alucard

Banned
Mmhmm, mmhmm. Like, I'd foolishly consider buying some of that trash excelsiorlef-style if it were $20. But $35? $45? Get out of town! That's an easy nah.

Exactly. I didn't even browse all the designs after seeing the laughable price tag of these nostalgia cash-ins.

There should be a wrestling game where you're able to switch between wrestlers on the fly so you can orchestrate the best match possible rather than straddling the AI.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III |OT| The Eclipse Comes Early

Angry Grimace

Black didn't have a match and it's the biggest show of the year. He's significantly more important to their future plans (both in NXT and main roster) than Ohno. Ohno is more there to work with young guys and be a coach.

I think the storyline implication is that Itami's beat down of Ohno has him out of the picture. He hasn't shown up since then. I'd bet their feud picks back up after Takeover.

Well I mean Black is going over because they're obviously grooming Black to be the face of NXT. I would bet money he doesn't lose until he gets the title and even then, probably defends it successfully an awful lot. The only question for me is whether he will actually say anything in a promo before he wins the title.

Well I mean Black is going over because they're obviously grooming Black to be the face of NXT. I would bet money he doesn't lose until he gets the title and even then, probably defends it successfully an awful lot. The only question for me is whether he will actually say anything in a promo before he wins the title.

Actually I'd bet he never wins it. Unless it happens soon.

I don't think he'll be there long enough.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why is Kenny Omega such a fucking dick?

Yano gave him a present. It's just a present Kenny. Its nice Chaos dvd you dick.

"PLEASE OPEN" lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So in the span of Mania to Slam, The Hardys have gone from getting one of the biggest pops ever for their Mania return to being in a nothing preshow match at Slam.

WWE.

So in the span of Mania to Slam, The Hardys have gone from getting one of the biggest pops ever for their Mania return to being in a nothing preshow match at Slam.

WWE.

I wouldn't put this all on WWE. The Hardys were basically spinning their wheels trying to get this gimmick and it just didn't happen. It's like they've been stringing everything along, but it's just not amounting to anything.

Plus the Revival got hurt. Which made it even worse.

I feel pretty confident Hardys would have been on the main card had it not been for the Revival injury. At least them appearing is better than nothing, I guess.

Hex

Banned

WWE.

I wonder if they would pull an angle (heh) where Angle uses his stroke to get it moved to the main card and something else to the preshow

Egg0

Banned
New match added to Summerslam.

Miz/Bo/Axel vs. Hardys/Jordan on the pre-show

Makes 13 matches

Couldn't even be bothered to have Miz defend the IC title....

I mean obviously it's heading towards Miz/Jordan, but it seemed like the Ambrose feud was just dropped so he could team up with Seth.

Tom Nook

WWE.

WWE was hoping for the Hardy's have the Broken Gimmick by now. Looks like it's the start of the "Awaking" gimmick or something.

Top Bottom