• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Menome

I'm gonna have to start hosting GWF at friggin noon to accommodate you guys across the pond

Just two hours earlier would be fine, means it would start at 10pm in the UK. An overrun to 1am is more reasonable then an overrun to 3am if we've got to be up at 7am.

Sorry, not letting my thoughts get buried like Cena's foreign opponents

Here's the thing - mind you, I can't and don't keep up with who said what and whether what they say is consistent over time so I'm about to give a general consensus of the tone in this thread- :

-On one hand we have a lot of Meltzer fans in this community and yet no one brings up the fact that he has said himself that the WWE is in healthy financial shape despite reduced profits. Meltz doesnt come up when the 5 year jokes flood these shores. He conveniently does when the jokes subside.

- the 5 yr thing gives a platform for everyone to bitch about something they dont like yet still want to talk about. This issue has been beaten to death and nothing changes

- if you call yourself a wrestling fan, i dont understand why you would wish a promotion to go out of business much less one that writes the bigger checks to your beloved talent. These guys and ladies dont have a lot of places to go and despite the bullshit we can rightfully call out about the wwe, these people still have bills and kids to feed. the situation sucked when wcw went out of business and it would suck for the same to happen here . if the WWE goes out of business, how many indies can take in a group of unemployed employees, including behind the scene workers and in ring performers ,without bumping their own respective shows to 5 hours or more - something we also complain about- ?

I apologize if i blow a fuse at times, and thats on me, but i lurk in a WRESTLING community thread with people cheering on people going out of business which is why I hardly post as much as i do . So color me surprised when i refuse to participate in the noise and am rewarded by being labeled a troll for it for no reason.

Foggy

I won't shed a tear at the prospect of a socially and culturally regressive company that churns out a shit product could go under. That's on the shit company, not on disgruntled consumers if the talent has a harder time getting paid an adequate wage if it goes under.

Syder

I've asked this before but…

#5Years isn't ironic?

HAPbvrr.gif

Browny

Banned
I sensed a disturbance in the Force... what's happening in here...

Think more like Russo. He's also the product of when Browny and Zach and an unnamed woman had a threesome and no one knows who the true father is.

*points finger at Zach*

Also I enjoy watching GWF at 5.30am in the morning whilst making the breakfast and slow cooker dinner before the kids get up. It's a genuine highlight for me - #thankyouSeph

Had an interesting discussion about Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega with my friends.

This G1 has shown undeniable evidence of two things:

1) Kazuchika Okada is the best and most versatile worker in the world. He's having great matches against EVERYONE, working a grinding schedule, all without taking insane bumps or destroying his body. The Kojima or Juice matches are perfect evidence of this: matches largely constructed around Okada's gimmick and long term storyline, featuring very good work but taken to the next level by everything that surrounds the actual chops and suplexes and rainmakers.

2) Kenny Omega is trying to keep up, but isn't as good. He's taking burning hammers, head drops, throwing V-triggers all over the place... and he still isn't keeping up. He's putting himself and his opponent in far more physical danger than Okada, all for the sake of matches which are very good, but can't touch the basic storylines and exchanges in Okada's matches. Has there been anything as good in Kenny's matches as the thunderous boos following Okada's rainmaker pose against Kojima?

It's not exactly damning to be less good than Okada, but I don't think the difference has been quite so clear before.

And the rest of the discussion led to a consensus that there's a lot of indie left in Kenny. That he's a gotta get my sh*t in guy who can't adapt because he's too focused on getting his sh*t in.

Browny

Banned
Smackdown is in good hands, trust the process.

miKZ7He.jpg

Holy fucking shit.

We need an Avatar Lethal Lottery. Perhaps last week of this month in preparation for Sephtember?
I'm hopefully taking the week off work and feel the need to contribute.

At the end of the day, Omega's still cut from the same cloth as the Young Bucks. So even when he has great matches, there's still an element of "playing pro wrestler" that you don't get from Okada or AJ, at least not in big matches.

Foggy

Kenny's going to have 3 amazing trilogies against three different guys by the end of the year. He's also a huge part of what made the two Okada matches totally special.

You could have just come out with the explicit hot take of calling him a spot monkey without dancing around it.

Caught up on the last couple of pages. Wow.

Come back soon Tommy 5⃣🕔🖐️✋👋🖖💔💔💔💔💔

I really enjoyed last nights Twin Peaks. Always bums me out to go online after liking something and read about how unanimously terrible everyone thought it was. Lol

I can't believe you guys still haven't let Charlie into your hearts.
I never will.
I really enjoyed last nights Twin Peaks. Always bums me out to go online after liking something and read about how unanimously terrible everyone thought it was. Lol
There hasn't been an episode I have not liked yet but I'm this one was the low point for me. I know next week will be much better. I wish didn't like the Twitter hype by some people like Kyle, made no sense.

At the end of the day, Omega's still cut from the same cloth as the Young Bucks. So even when he has great matches, there's still an element of "playing pro wrestler" that you don't get from Okada or AJ, at least not in big matches.

I actually think it's worse with Omega than the Bucks - Matt & Nick are just playing shitheads, it comes easily to them and they're good at it. They're believable shitheads. Omega's character is like an anime villain come to life, it takes an extra leap to buy into but I think that's also kind of the point - the hints and teases of an Ibushi feud (most notably Kenny's conflicted feelings after AJ beat Ibushi) have shown Kenny in terms outside of his current persona, flashes of the old Omega. His villainous persona is a facade, one that's sure to be exposed somewhere down the road.

Also, I'm in total agreement about Okada (probably unsurprising haha), he's doing a hell of a lot with a lot less. Which is funny, as some of his lengthier matches this year have been accused of excess, but it never feels that way to me. I think Okada's doing a good job of setting the standard, as Tanahashi did before him - it's up to Omega and the rest to match up.

I didn't think it was terrible. For me I was just hoping we would finally have some more questions answered. We had a few answered but now I have more questions. I guess that could be a good thing.

I can't believe you guys still haven't let Charlie into your hearts.

Someday.

Don't even know if one should bother pulling apart the Bucks' gimmick. Their entire success is centered around not what they've accomplished in the ring but how they built and expanded their personal brand. They are first and foremost a brand machine, "pro wrestler" second. This is why I think they will inevitably make a leap to WWE. They love that money.

I read this exact same post. Literally word for word, on the Observer board yesterday. Actually all of your recent posts are copy/paste from there.

Bean, are you a Meltz mark?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Don't even know if one should bother pulling apart the Bucks' gimmick. Their entire success is centered around not what they've accomplished in the ring but how they built and expanded their personal brand. They are first and foremost a brand machine, "pro wrestler" second. This is why I think they will inevitably make a leap to WWE. They love that money.

With 6 million in profits off of over 400 million in revenue... there is no money.

Heroman

Banned
Naw, if they weren't fantastic wreslter no one would care about them. There whole brand is built off of being the best tag team in the world.

With 6 million in profits off of over 400 million in revenue... there is no money.

To be clear, I mean to use it as an platform to promote awareness to their brand, not to collect checks from Vince.

Now that I say that, would Vince even let them keep their store page? Without a doubt that would have to be on the negotiation table and I doubt Vince signs off on that.

I redact my thoughts and recuse myself from this ongoing investigation.

Top Bottom