• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

IMO, best Goldberg spear ever

caoAkEZ.gif

The increase in talent sharing between WWE and Progress/ICW and Grado being gone from ICW leads me to believe the Network deals are all but done at this point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you copy gifs from twitter, is there a way? I want to post this Nakamura reaction to Cena's "you cant see me taunt" which I loved but I dont know how.

This dude tweeted it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Is it time to declare that John Cena can't draw a dime? Battlegrounds was his big return match after an extended hiatus and they couldn't *give* tickets away to that. Now the so called heavily marketed "dream match" with Naks draws sweet FA.

Guess WWE won't be able to lean on Cena as a big time draw like other part timers going forward.

jmdajr

Is it time to declare that John Cena can't draw a dime? Battlegrounds was his big return match after an extended hiatus and they couldn't *give* tickets away to that. Now the so called heavily marketed "dream match" with Naks draws sweet FA.

Guess WWE won't be able to lean on Cena as a big time draw like other part timers going forward.

He can still draw for Mania. But yeah everyday stuff, I don't know.

I still have to believe they sell more Smackdown tix with him than without.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's demonstrably true that Cena draws. House show attendance with Cena is way higher than without him. Meltzer has gone over it a bunch.

If any of you nerds want a ticket to Progress NYC you can just have it. I got two from a seller, only need one. Lol. Otherwise I'll just give it to the people at the door or something

To be fair, Cena matches aren't an uncommon thing. The dude isn't a part timer, that's for sure

watched this LAW smackdown review video thinking it was Bryan and Vinny, but its 2 other guys I've never heard about and they were awful so that happened.

I guess I have my wrestling websites mixed up

Umm Pollock and Wai Ting are like some of the best wrestling journos in the business, especially Pollock.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you know for a fact that they are thinking "nakamura cant draw" not "cena cant draw" from that.

Umm Pollock and Wai Ting are like some of the best wrestling journos in the business, especially Pollock.

Don't talk shit about John and Wai, they're good dudes.

ok? I thought they were dry as fuck in that video, and the bald dude was saying the Cena botch was all on Nakamura and it was ill advised and never should hve done it, even tho he does the move every match.

klonere

Banned
It really is. I mean, just look at this lineup (and this was before the women's match was added):

With the exception of the Dijak/Thatcher all those are main events on any other PROGRESS show.

I hope they managed to spruce up the venue, its the classic NA indie basketball court setting which is a total 180 from PROGRESS's usual.

somedevil

I don't think they are thinking either of those things given their mindset on ratings nowadays.

They probably are just glad it didn't drop.

It was also the highest viewership since June 27:

Despite heavy promotion for last night's John Cena vs. Shinsuke Nakamura main event, SmackDown ratings were only up a bit more than one percent from last week. The show averaged 2.569 million viewers, the highest number since June 27th.

I would definitely not be shocked by a stealth announcement of this Progress card being on the Network, either live or VOD.

WWE doesn't loan talent out of the goodness of their hearts.

orioto

Good Art™
you know for a fact that they are thinking "nakamura cant draw" not "cena cant draw" from that.

Well i don't see why Nakamura would draw actually. Based on the way he was booked.
The lesson WWE will learn from all that is that you can't book things based on smarks cult stars, not alone at least.

Nakamura is meant to be legendary from the start, automatically, but his run in SDl for now has had zero momentum and zero character development. It's a little weird. He's booked kinda strong, in the way he's winning his matches, but he doesn't feel like a killer wrestler as a character .. The Ziggler feud, the Corbin feud, none of them made him look like a star.

He's that weird guy who's meant to beat Cena or Owens clean in less than 15 minutes, but the character doesn't really reflect that. He's too humble maybe, too discrete. Big champs are always super cocky and have an attitude in wwe. Nakamura is seen laughing with zayn backstage or or acting like he's not sure what happens.

Actually it's like he's booked as a super strong guy (but not against midcarders like ziggler or corbin) in the ring but a jobber outside of it. And by that i mean he has the kind of character interactions that would make him a jobber. That's super hyper disconnected here. It's amazingly bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Botching is literally a part of wrestling, there's no point putting the blame on anyone for a routine botch like the one from the match last night.

It just gets magnified when it happens to John Cena. Ironically, John Cena basically has Wolverine powers so it doesn't matter.

ok? I thought they were dry as fuck in that video, and the bald dude was saying the Cena botch was all on Nakamura and it was ill advised and never should hve done it, even tho he does the move every match.

I mean they are legit some of the best in the business. Pollock is a bit of a safety first kind of guy but still.

Rhaknar

I mean they are legit some of the best in the business. Pollock is a bit of a safety first kind of guy but still.

I am not disputing their journalistic quality, I just didnt like that video :p

I wonder if this WWE/Progress relationship would ever get good enough for us to see a non-CW main roster guy shared. That would be the craziest thing.

Like could you imagine how over Cesaro would be on a Progress show?

I would definitely not be shocked by a stealth announcement of this Progress card being on the Network, either live or VOD.

WWE doesn't loan talent out of the goodness of their hearts.

I mean Noam went to ICW to a hero's welcome, while they're booking Mysterio for their biggest show... and I still can't see them on the Network, they've not exactly been "sanitising" their content...

I honestly think there's 0 value trying to figure out the machinations at this point, there's too many unknown variables.

With the exception of the Dijak/Thatcher all those are main events on any other PROGRESS show.

I hope they managed to spruce up the venue, its the classic NA indie basketball court setting which is a total 180 from PROGRESS's usual.

I get why they went with a larger venue than La Boom, but La Boom is such a great venue for Evolve, and it would have been nuclear hot for these PROGRESS matches.

Top Bottom