• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
torn on Black vs Itami, on one hand, should be great, on the other, Black is undefeated and they probably want to keep him that way so it's most likely another Itami job.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just a couple of months ago folks were saying Joe was boring because of his shitty feuds/matches with Rollins and Balor. I wonder if they changed their mind now.

I've never called Joe since he turned heel in NXT

he carried the entire Balor feud. He's one of the best promos in the WWE right now, maybe even the best.

gun_haver

it would be funny if shane turned heel during the ko vs aj match at summerslam and started coming out to no chance again. i know wwe is averse to doing stories and swerves now but i'd like it.

Anth0ny

I feel like there is a tier system to wrestling and the top guys in the world can carry almost anyone to a great match. Based on what your saying Elgin seems like a solid 2nd tier guy that can carry the companies number 2 or 3 belt. I can't wait to see Elgin vs Suzuki where as before I didn't care about elgin at all.

Exactly. Omega and Okada are the two gods right now.

Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki, Ishii and Ibushi are right up there too (Shibata was there too ; _ ; ). Any of those 7 can take a "tier 2" guy and make them look like a million bucks pretty much every time. Then you have the truly great, 4.5* and above matches when you combine any of those 7 together.

The consistency of work in New Japan in unreal right now.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
O'Reilly's match with Black was great. Looking forward to seeing more of O'Reilly in NXT

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watched Raiders of the Last Ark for the first time

It's trash. Indiana no sells that bullet wound for like 6 minutes straight

Anth0ny

I watched Raiders of the Last Ark for the first time

It's trash. Indiana no sells that bullet wound for like 6 minutes straight

But Data, the movie teaches you exactly what to do when a flippy jabroni mark tries to get his shit in

tenor.gif

YOU FUCKING SHOOT

Hex

Banned
it would be funny if shane turned heel during the ko vs aj match at summerslam and started coming out to no chance again. i know wwe is averse to doing stories and swerves now but i'd like it.

Wouldn't be bad, a McMahon is a McMahon.
But unless Bryan could get in the ring with him I do not think it would work.

DMczaf

But Data, the movie teaches you exactly what to do when a flippy jabroni mark tries to get his shit in

tenor.gif

YOU FUCKING SHOOT

And this scene becomes more crystal clear when you put it in that context:

AngryInsecureHarrierhawk.gif

Here is Indy doing Indy Flippy Shit in Temple of Doom, which is set BEFORE Raiders, and getting no-sold by the grizzled vet.

Indy entered the Realm of the Shoot that day.

Here is Indy doing Indy Flippy Shit in Temple of Doom, which is set BEFORE Raiders, and getting no-sold by the grizzled vet.

Gif proves to us Mysterio beating Batista was a joke. Guy too stronk for Indy the cruiser weight's drop kick

Fox318

Had Indy went for a single leg he most certainly would have won.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It was pretty good though. Definitely don't see why people are crazy about it like BTTF or Ghostbusters but very good. I might have liked it more as a kid.

now Die Hard. That's a shooter's movie.

It was pretty good though. Definitely don't see why people are crazy about it like BTTF or Ghostbusters but very good. I might have liked it more as a kid.

now Die Hard. That's a shooter's movie.
I watched that movie a day ago. I lol'd at the 77 cent gas in 1988. Wtf where's this now?

Toki767

It's so weird that after months of Black basically squashing the NXT roster, they bring in Fish and O'Reilly to give him his most competitive matches yet.

It's so un-WWE like.

It's so weird that after months of Black basically squashing the NXT roster, they bring in Fish and O'Reilly to give him his most competitive matches yet.

It's so un-WWE like.

Everything in WWE not managed by Vince is on some weird shit right now between the MYC and the Progress/ICW stuff and NXT.

WWE is so close to being great.

Ronin Ray

Elign is a top teir worker, you don't have matches that good if you aren't top teir.

I don't disagree but top tier for me is like only 4 or 5 guys that can have great matches with anyone in most situations and have great match variety. They can carry others to high quality matches and they're very consistent. Okada ,Omega, naito, styles etc. Like there elite or franchise players and they're very rare. I think it's crazy that New Japan has like three or four of these guys right now and there firing on all cylinders. I haven't seen alot of the guy but I think ibushi can definitely be one of those guys.

oddjobs

From what I remember, they've not formally signed yet.

They had HHH post a pic of him "officially" welcoming a formally dressed Fish to NXT so I think the deals are done.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fish / O'Reilly lay low for a couple of months and then re-debut as a team with new names.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I never thought "satanist babyface" would be allowed in pg Mattel-appeasing WWE times, much less get over. But hot damn, Aleister's got 'star' written all over him.

Nothing positive is ever going to happen until it happens.

This is always the best way to watch WWE. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're the same people who said Ambrose was never going to be a WWE Champion.

Me? I think it'll be Strowman or Joe. If it's Strowman he'll hold the belt until the Rumble where he'll lose to Cena or Reigns and then that'll set up their WM match. If it's Joe? Same thing except Strowman will face Reigns in a ppv before then.
Reigns needs heels and Joe has a "Reigns never beat me" storyline built in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When does the "Nak is gonna go all out in his next match" talk begin again? Is now too soon after his latest disappointing match?

Nak even at full speed isn't carrying Jinder to anything worthwhile.

There is literally nothing worthwhile about the match other than Nakamura going over for a pop.

Also has Alistair Black ever said a word on camera?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I fully expect Joe to win and have the usual indy darling 3 month nothing run as champion, until its Wrestlemania season and they put the belt back on someone that matters (to them of course).

Same for Nakamura in fact, except with the Corbin cash in possibility, Corbin will probably get the belt with the cahs in and then drop it back to Nak in one or two PPVs (because thats what we need, more Corbin v Nak matches)

Angry Grimace

The thing about Black is that I have no idea what direction they're planning for him because it's either "wins the title immediately" or "gets called up."

I mean, he's obviously the star of the brand at this point. Given how devoid they are of guys who come off as big stars, they probably need to keep him around for a while.

Tall4Life

I dont see how Black could fit into a good spot on the main roster without getting ruined, honestly. He has kind of a Jimmy Havoc appeal, and Havoc isnt someone thats effective as just another guy as a part of a 50 man roster

I fully expect Joe to win and have the usual indy darling 3 month nothing run as champion, until its Wrestlemania season and they put the belt back on someone that matters (to them of course).

Same for Nakamura in fact, except with the Corbin cash in possibility, Corbin will probably get the belt with the cahs in and then drop it back to Nak in one or two PPVs (because thats what we need, more Corbin v Nak matches)

Disagree on the Nakamura bit, I sincerely think he's either wwe champ by the time Mania comes around or he's wrestling for the belt. Nakamura is not viewed as an indie darling.

Unless they somehow manage to fuck him up in the next months, that is.

Catching up on G1. Man, Tanahashi/Ibushi was incredible.

I remember when I had to pay $120 to watch the G1 on Ustream. I felt then like I was getting my money's worth.

Now we get all this for $20. Feels like stealing.

Angry Grimace

I dont see how Black could fit into a good spot on the main roster without getting ruined, honestly. He has kind of a Jimmy Havoc appeal, and Havoc isnt someone thats effective as just another guy as a part of a 50 man roster
I mean, he speaks un-accented perfect English and is over 6 feet tall with a goofy gimmick. Sounds like Vince-bait to me. If he put on 20 pounds of muscle he'd already be on the main roster imo.

I mean, Black hasn't said a single word, so they probably need to get him to cut some actual promos before he's ready for anything close to that. I have no idea if he can actually cut a promo.

Tall4Life

I mean, he speaks un-accented perfect English and is over 6 feet tall with a goofy gimmick. Sounds like Vince-bait to me. If he put on 20 pounds of muscle he'd already be on the main roster imo.

I mean, Black hasn't said a single word, so they probably need to get him to cut some actual promos before he's ready for anything close to that. I have no idea if he can actually cut a promo.
Be careful, this is WWE we're talking about. They run what should be easy characters (Bayley is a big one right now) into the ground.

Angry Grimace

Be careful, this is WWE we're talking about. They run what should be easy characters (Bayley is a big one right now) into the ground.

Right, but Bayley is part of the Daniel Bryan booking conundrum where Vince convinced himself he could get people like Bayley and Zayn over by making them lose all the time. They aren't selling Black like that.

If he can even sort of cut a promo I think he's going to be a big star.

I really disagree with this assertion that Bayley is an easy thing. It took two years of storytelling and twists and turns and good decision making to get Bayley to where she was in Brooklyn, and most of the main roster crowd is aware of none of that.

Black on the other hand, is easy. He's got a look, a cool presentation, and can go. I think he'll fill much of the same space as guys like Jeff Hardy, Punk, and Balor do, where fans like them because they just have an intangible thing about them that makes them seem cool to a majority of the audience.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Balor is an easy target, but he's still pretty fucking over and his SummerSlam match with Wyatt is something they should have been building to from the start. Hell, the dude is probably more awkward on promos than Roman Reigns, he just gets away with it because he has babyface charisma that Roman doesn't (not that this is the performer's fault, it's that people don't want to see Sasuke Uchiha in the wrestling ring). I think Black has the same thing, except he probably can't be worse on the mic than Balor is. And I like Balor, it doesn't really matter that he's an awkward dude on the mic.

I think you'd have to legitimately go out of your way to ruin Black. A lot of the people that wrestling fans think have been "ruined" haven't really, it's that they play weirdo gimmicks (superfan who hugs people; awkward ska-guy) that don't work well to be "booked well" which wrestling fans tend to interpret as "wins all of the time."

Top Bottom