• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

I don't like Blacks look or entrance. I definitely don't look at him and see someone cool like Punk or Balor. Haven't really seem him wrestle. Too bored to watch his match last night in nxt. Doing no promos isn't entertaining either

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I also think people for whatever reason mis-interpreted where Sami Zayn's ceiling is. I mean, losing to freakin' Aiden English is not good, but at the same time he also beat Corbin clean so he's kind of in Ziggler-land.

Speaking of Ziggler, dude had a WWEWHC match at SummerSlam last year. I don't think he's appeared on SmackDown in like 3 weeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never really listened to Bryan Alvarez before but this video just showed up in my recommendations and it was hilarious.

Does he still do stuff? I want to hear him flip his shit about WWE.

I mean, yes, Alvarez still rants non-stop, he just only rants about WWE now because TNA is basically non-existent for the purposes of the podcast stuff on wrestling observer.

I've never heard any recent podcasts that Alvarez has done that covered anything other than WWE and NJPW.

I mean, yes, Alvarez still rants non-stop, he just only rants about WWE now because TNA is basically non-existent for the purposes of the podcast stuff on wrestling observer.

I've never heard any recent podcasts that Alvarez has done that covered anything other than WWE and NJPW.
Is his podcasts free?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I also think people for whatever reason mis-interpreted where Sami Zayn's ceiling is. I mean, losing to freakin' Aiden English is not good, but at the same time he also beat Corbin clean so he's kind of in Ziggler-land.

Speaking of Ziggler, dude had a WWEWHC match at SummerSlam last year. I don't think he's appeared on SmackDown in like 3 weeks.
Ziggler's brother was just convicted for manslaughter.

Jamie OD

I've never really listened to Bryan Alvarez before but this video just showed up in my recommendations and it was hilarious.

Does he still do stuff? I want to hear him flip his shit about WWE.

He's calmed down a lot since then mainly because he eventually figured out TNA was a lost cause and WWE had established its status quo for quality. He's also grown out of a lot of wrestling nowadays. Mostly pays attention to WWE and classics from the Network archives.

It's crazy to me that we are already three weeks away from the one year anniversary of Brock busting open Orton and the Ziggler experiment failing.

Angry Grimace

The last time I remember Alvarez doing something funny was when he blew Sheamus up for being a unsafe piece of shit.

He said the same thing about Jax today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The last time I remember Alvarez doing something funny was when he blew Sheamus up for being a unsafe piece of shit.

He said the same thing about Jax today.

what did he say about the Cena spot?

Angry Grimace

what did he say about the Cena spot?

He thinks Cena didn't do the move correctly and that he might have been trying to protect himself by not following through on the flip.

He said he heard Cena was walking around backstage like he was fine.

Shirai not going to WWE; they didn't like her neck issues

In a big surprise, at the 7/30 Stardom show in Shinkiba, Io Shirai returned. Shirai who many considered the top woman wrestler in Japan, had done her farewell there and was to start here. There was an issue with a neck injury when WWE did their testing of her several months back, which led to her announce she was taking time off for the neck injury and that was the reason she gave for leaving Stardom. WWE hadn’t finalized the deal, and wrestlers are not allowed to say they publicly they are going to WWE until the company announces it first (hence Adam Cole disappearing off the face of the Earth and I have no evidence he’s working these days as an astronaut nor that he was actually poisoned to death as the Young Bucks have implied on “Being the Elite”) so she couldn’t say at the time she was leaving for the U.S. even though most knew it. After a three-way main event, Shirai hit the ring and attacked Oedo Tai and asked Viper (who was in the Mae Young Classic) to join her as a tag team in the Queen’s Quest group. Viper agreed. Shirai announced her return on 8/13 at Korakuen Hall, and that she would also be in the upcoming Five Star Grand Prix tournament (which is their version of G-1, and Jim Cornette should be proud of that name). She also issued a challenge to Team Jungle for the Artist of Stardom championship. This is because she’s not coming to WWE after all. She contacted Rossy Ogawa and Stardom on 7/28 and said that she was ready to return full-time. Nobody has publicly said WWE changed their minds at bringing her in, but obviously that is what happened. The phraseology being used for Japan is that she got some bad news and told Ogawa she was ready to come back. Nobody has directly said that WWE decided against offering her a contract due to her neck issues that they found in her physicals, but they had stalled on offering her a contract months ago when they found out about the injury while she did her medicals in the U.S. After she did her medicals, WWE wanted her to take time off to rehab her neck. She did that and was just cleared by doctors to return to the ring after her therapy. Then WWE seemingly decided against offering her the deal. While every case is different, WWE has had a general rule of not wanting to bring in new talent that either has concussion issues or neck issues. It also could be that with Kairi Hojo and Asuka they already have two Japanese women and had discovered more women from other nationalities that they wanted to sign from the Mae Young Classic. Even though most would say Shirai was better than Hojo or Asuka, timing is everything in this business

Angry Grimace

Shirai not going to WWE; they didn't like her neck issues

That's too bad, but probably best for all involved. Particularly given that WWE is almost assuredly going to bring in Storm and raiding the hell out of Stardom.

Who even knows if Shirai and Asuka were on speaking terms at this point anyways - they had personal heat dating back a few years. Then again, Asuka's entire gimmick has been shooting on Japanese wrestling as being overrated pretty much constantly. I think she also had some kind of blood feud with the owners of Stardom and that was allegedly why she never went there.

The four-way SS finish is gonna be top secret.

As far as the finish goes, the attempt is very strong to keep this one under wraps, so it’ll be interesting the last day or two when it comes to the odds. The story as it is said right now is that nobody on the writing team, no producers, and no participants except Lesnar (whose deal is that he knows everything well in advance) will be given the finish until the last minute.

Bayley injury is legit

Bliss vs. Bayley could be up in the air. On the 7/31 Raw show in Pittsburgh, Bayley suffered a right shoulder injury in a match with Nia Jax. Jax threw Bayley down hard and she appeared to jam her shoulder early in the match. The camera panned away as the referee asked her if she was okay. She rolled out of the ring and it appeared she was just doing a great selling job. The announcers called it like it was part of the sell of the match, including a minute later when Jax used a double chicken wing and threw her down. Instead of landing face and chest first on that bump, she was at a bad angle and landed right on her shoulder again.

She was evaluated after the match, but due to the amount of swelling, no diagnosis was made. She will likely be off all the house shows this weekend, as she was told to rest, and that they hope the swelling will go down and they can evaluate the status of the shoulder later this week.

Angry Grimace

If Bayley is legit hurt they'll just slot Sasha in the exact same spot with a built in storyline for Bayley's return and the Sasha turn. Bayley comes back and asks for that title shot back and Sasha tells her to eat shit.

I'm of two minds on the Shirai thing. I would love to see her get a big stage to show herself off, and she definitely deserves the big payday.

But at the same time, she will undoubtedly have better matches in Stardom, and Kairi will definitely have an easier time getting over without the shadow of Io arriving shortly after.

But also her working with a neck that is less than optimal is..... less than optimal.

Idk. Shitty situation all around. Hope she ends up okay.

Reminds me a lot of Nigel's signing/retraction.

Hex

Banned
I mean, Balor is an easy target, but he's still pretty fucking over and his SummerSlam match with Wyatt is something they should have been building to from the start. Hell, the dude is probably more awkward on promos than Roman Reigns, he just gets away with it because he has babyface charisma that Roman doesn't (not that this is the performer's fault, it's that people don't want to see Sasuke Uchiha in the wrestling ring). I think Black has the same thing, except he probably can't be worse on the mic than Balor is. And I like Balor, it doesn't really matter that he's an awkward dude on the mic.

I think you'd have to legitimately go out of your way to ruin Black. A lot of the people that wrestling fans think have been "ruined" haven't really, it's that they play weirdo gimmicks (superfan who hugs people; awkward ska-guy) that don't work well to be "booked well" which wrestling fans tend to interpret as "wins all of the time."

I think to be honest right now they are in a holding pattern.
If I were a betting man I would say Finn, Wyatt, Seth, Dean, Joe, and Braun are all not where they were planned to be if you were a fly on the wall a month ago.
I think this Brock thing has them scurrying a little to take advantage of (or damage control...I say taking advantage of for now) and I also think that what you ended up with was a set of back up situations.
Finn and Wyatt can do whatever for a bit, neither will get affected and Finn can pull good matches out of people.
I think they are really hurting for face tag teams which is why they forced this Seth and Dean thing pretty much mirroring the Sheamus and Cesaro situation when they first teamed except with the shield sword of damocles hanging.
Woke Hardees are good, I just do not see why they did not turn the club and NEEERRRDS could have been over huge.

The four way at SS is because A) they may get a real match out of it and B) hopefully everyone gets a rub but someone will have to eat the pin and sadly my money is on Joe.
It also in theory will keep whats his face from cashing in, though I wish they would get the suitcases overwith.
Come Mania time Balor will definitely be in the title picture

Hex

Banned
According to Meltzer, Heyman and Lesnar will be around until April no matter what happens.

Yeah Brock still has to sit out six months, he will want to collect a paycheck during that time.
He will just re-enter the testing program and do side shows for WWE.

Angry Grimace

I think to be honest right now they are in a holding pattern.
If I were a betting man I would say Finn, Wyatt, Seth, Dean, Joe, and Braun are all not where they were planned to be if you were a fly on the wall a month ago.
I think this Brock thing has them scurrying a little to take advantage of (or damage control...I say taking advantage of for now) and I also think that what you ended up with was a set of back up situations.
Finn and Wyatt can do whatever for a bit, neither will get affected and Finn can pull good matches out of people.
I think they are really hurting for face tag teams which is why they forced this Seth and Dean thing pretty much mirroring the Sheamus and Cesaro situation when they first teamed except with the shield sword of damocles hanging.
Woke Hardees are good, I just do not see why they did not turn the club and NEEERRRDS could have been over huge.

The four way at SS is because A) they may get a real match out of it and B) hopefully everyone gets a rub but someone will have to eat the pin and sadly my money is on Joe.
It also in theory will keep whats his face from cashing in, though I wish they would get the suitcases overwith.
Come Mania time Balor will definitely be in the title picture

The problem with Brock being widely reported to go back to MMA leads them to a potential for a WM XX situation where nobody gives a fuck about a Roman/Lesnar match.

I assume this is just the entire SummerSlam card:

1. Brock Lesnar (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman
2. Naomi (c) vs. Natalya
3. Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Bayley
4. Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. Neville (c) vs. Akira Tozawa
6. AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens
7. Randy Orton vs. Rusev
8. Seth Rollins/Dean Ambrose v. Cesaro and Sheamus (c)
9. The Usos v. the New Day (c)
10. John Cena v. Baron Corbin
11. Finn Balor v. Bray Wyatt
12. The Miz (c) v. Jason Jordan
13. Hardy Boyz vs. Anderson and Gallows vs. The Revival
14. Big Cass v. Anyone and no one will care

I'm guessing the Fashion Police make the show, but not in a match. I think both Corbin and Carmella will cash in on the same night so they can tell us about it over and over.

According to Dave, two of the ideas being thrown around for Enzo right now are sending him back to NXT or putting him on 205 Live.

The best idea is to just put Enzo and Cass back together because Cass has fucking nothing.

Hex

Banned
The problem with Brock being widely reported to go back to MMA leads them to a potential for a WM XX situation where nobody gives a fuck about a Roman/Lesnar match.

I assume this is just the entire SummerSlam card:

1. Brock Lesnar (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman
2. Naomi (c) vs. Natalya
3. Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Bayley
4. Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. Neville (c) vs. Akira Tozawa
6. AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens
7. Randy Orton vs. Rusev
8. Seth Rollins/Dean Ambrose v. Cesaro and Sheamus (c)
9. The Usos v. the New Day (c)
10. John Cena v. Baron Corbin
11. Finn Balor v. Bray Wyatt
12. The Miz (c) v. Jason Jordan
13. Hardy Boyz vs. Anderson and Gallows vs. The Revival
14. Big Cass v. Anyone and no one will care

I'm guessing the Fashion Police make the show, but not in a match. I think both Corbin and Carmella will cash in on the same night so they can tell us about it over and over.

The best idea is to just put Enzo and Cass back together because Cass has fucking nothing.

That is part of why the four way.
Meltz said last week that they were already working on two or three different things for if Brock gives the word. Fortunately they still have alot of time.
Roman v Cena was talked about, and I have even heard that they have talked to the Rock about doing a match against Roman.
I do not see them able to keep Braun hot that long, unless they start jobbing out solid talent.
The smartest thing that they can do would be give Stroman the belt at SS.

I am assuming that Owens vs Shane will be at this years Hell in a Cell so Stroman can defend there for the rematch with Brock. (Or is HIAC only one side?)

It still may end up as a 3 way for Bayley and Bliss at SS.
I think the "Injury" will have Sasha more than ready to jump in and take Bayley's place which will cause her true self to be seen

Meltzer really liked the Gable vs. Rusev match. Said it was better than Cena vs. Nakamura and AJ vs. Owens.

He even said he'd put it on the same level as any mid-tier G1 match.

That is part of why the four way.
Meltz said last week that they were already working on two or three different things for if Brock gives the word. Fortunately they still have alot of time.
Roman v Cena was talked about, and I have even heard that they have talked to the Rock about doing a match against Roman.
I do not see them able to keep Braun hot that long, unless they start jobbing out solid talent.
The smartest thing that they can do would be give Stroman the belt at SS.

I am assuming that Owens vs Shane will be at this years Hell in a Cell so Stroman can defend there for the rematch with Brock. (Or is HIAC only one side?)

HIAC is SD only.

Hex

Banned
I agree with him on most of that.
It had me believing that it could go either way, and some of the pins and subs sold me and that is all I ask of a match to make it a good match (and is rare)

Put Cass on 205 Live

Put Cass on a Greyhound back to Staten Island.

Foggy

Blessed Shirai, hopefully her neck will recover and she can convince Rossy to turn Stardom into a real promotion that doesn't revolve around foreigner tours and random booking. Regardless, great for her and great for Kairi. Although, hopefully Kairi can keep her concussion issues in check.

Hex

Banned
DGMZkcUWAAAWne7.jpg

No idea who AAW is

I dream of the day in the near future when I change my job to something that doesn't have me up at 4am in the morning Monday through Friday. Anyway, nxt was really good yesterday. Didn't skip anything and it flew by really fast. Asuka and her trolling on the mic is the best.

I dream of the day in the near future when I change my job to something that doesn't have me up at 4am in the morning Monday through Friday. Anyway, nxt was really good yesterday. Didn't skip anything and it flew by really fast. Asuka and her trolling on the mic is the best.
What do you do at work?

What do you do at work?
Merchandising supervisor, I have a lot of down time around this time of the year but it's frustrating working in such a terrible store where my team and I do great things just for the stores lazy ass not to do shit and watch things fall apart. The plan is to move to Atlanta next month from south Florida so I want to start fresh with something new.

Hex

Banned
I guess Itami supposedly tried to jump Black out in the parking lot so this one will be going for a while

I guess Itami supposedly tried to jump Black out in the parking lot so this one will be going for a while
While we're at it let's solve nxt greatest mystery by retconning black jumping Itami in the parking lot years ago causing him to be sidelined for a year.

Top Bottom