• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Last Sunday's PROGRESS show is up: https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-53:-fate-loves-the-fearless/64885/feature

Tag Team Number One Contender Match: #CCK vs Extra Talent-ed
Chuck Mambo vs Chief Deputy Dunne
Zack Gibson & James Drake vs Never Say Die
For a future Atlas title match: Rob Lynch vs James Davis
Pete Dunne vs Jack Sexsmith
PROGRESS Women's Title Match: Toni Storm (c) vs Candice LeRae
PROGRESS Tag Team Titles Match: British Strong Style (c) vs Jimmy Havoc & Mark Haskins
Travis Banks vs Keith Lee

That pop at the end of the show is nuts
for TK and Dahlia 😍😍

If he can even sort of cut a promo I think he's going to be a big star.

He definitely can, he was promoing during his vignettes but they've kept him silent since then.

Sonya Deville does nothing for me. It's basically female Ken Shamrock and that can only go so far
I don't like her, plus she looks like a fool doing this.
tumblr_oikao0myCl1u1ljrzo2_500.gif

Draxal

That's too bad, but probably best for all involved. Particularly given that WWE is almost assuredly going to bring in Storm and raiding the hell out of Stardom.

Who even knows if Shirai and Asuka were on speaking terms at this point anyways - they had personal heat dating back a few years. Then again, Asuka's entire gimmick has been shooting on Japanese wrestling as being overrated pretty much constantly. I think she also had some kind of blood feud with the owners of Stardom and that was allegedly why she never went there.

She had an issue with Nanae Takahashi (more like Nanae had an issue with her), when she was with Stardom, but she left Stardom and is now with Seadlingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Carnby

I've never really listened to Bryan Alvarez before but this video just showed up in my recommendations and it was hilarious.

Does he still do stuff? I want to hear him flip his shit about WWE.

He does at least one show every day.

If you subscribe to his site, http://www.f4wonline.com/, and you'll get daily episodes of Wrestling Observer Live (with Mike Sempervive), along with Wrestling Observer Radio (with Dave Meltzer) three times a week. There's also the Brian and Vinny show (twice a week) and Filthy Tom Lawlor's weekly show.

Finally, you also get Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer newsletter, weekly.

I've been subscribing for years. I highly recommend it. There's tons of great audio, and they're not 3 or 4 hours each, so it's possible to get through all of them as they come out.

Cosmozone

She was barely talked about last I recall. Just because one person says something doesn't mean everyone has turned.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "turned". It's just the random nature of it. I don't remember any negative comments from the past. Then there were a couple of it in a row.

I like to actually discuss wrestlers and their work over just pissing about the product non stop. So when I see someone a few times and they still kind of suck I'm going to bring it up. People are adverse to discussing the wrestlers sometimes and would rather blame everything else.

My biggest complaint about a lot of the NXT talent has been that they often end up looking more like drama kids playing dressup than actual believable competitors/gimmicks

Daria is no exception

More on that Braun Strowman/Karen Jarrett autograph incident:

Hint: It's fucking nothing.

During a GFW media conference call on Wednesday, Karen Jarrett addressed the much-talked-about rumors of a blowup between herself and WWE Superstar Braun Strowman at a bar in Nashville, Tennessee a couple of weeks ago.

"Oh my goodness, I can clear the air. It was a silly incident where you have two people in the wrestling business playing their characters, being silly and it got blown way out of proportion."

Jarrett elaborated, insisting that the situation between herself and Strowman was blown way out of proportion by the wrestling media that covered the story.

"And the fact that the two of us are still in the news and it's still being talked about, that's a question that you took the time to ask I think is hysterical, to be honest with you," Jarrett said. "It's silliness. It's the wrestling business, we had fun with it and somebody took it and turned it into something more than it was."

http://rajah.com/node/57336

Isn't NXT the place were all these bad gimmicks need to be weeded out. I don't mind people going out there and trying stuff. It it doesn't work then let them try something new. It's the place were a lot of these people are trying to find their voice. It doesn't bother me so much.

I was under the impression before they come they've already run through some gimmicks? I'm not faulting the way NXT allows them to try things out. Just noting how for some it just looks worse than others. Perhaps this is where the "indie effect" has a benefit because you have a lot more time to work on how you carry yourself beyond the ring

Cosmozone

I'm actually super lenient on everybody including the likes of Liv Morgan except self-centered people like Vince. Spares me some pain as opposed to seeing charisma vacuums everywhere. :)

Heroman

Banned
How does a shooter gimmick work in the WWE? Since very few people know how to wrestle with or against that Stlye. And not to mention that submission are not over with most of the crowd.

Exactly. Omega and Okada are the two gods right now.

Tanahashi, Naito, Suzuki, Ishii and Ibushi are right up there too (Shibata was there too ; _ ; ). Any of those 7 can take a "tier 2" guy and make them look like a million bucks pretty much every time. Then you have the truly great, 4.5* and above matches when you combine any of those 7 together.

The consistency of work in New Japan in unreal right now.

I'd put Naito with the Gods. He's got a 5* under his belt this year too... with Elgin no less

tchocky

More on that Braun Strowman/Karen Jarrett autograph incident:

Hint: It's fucking nothing.

http://rajah.com/node/57336

Dave posted a follow up to that story in today's Observer. I think Dave is up to about 4 different eye witnesses to the incident

From multiple versions including another eye witness this week regarding the Karen Jarrett thing with Braun Strowman that was mentioned in last week’s issue, when Jarrett asked Strowman for an autograph for her son, Strowman shot back nastily, “F*** your son,” and that’s when it all got started. So Strowman was out of line, although he did immediately apologize, and begged for the apology and for her not to tell Kurt Angle. Her point was that he should have never said that to a woman no matter who is the father of her children. They were both drinking at the club. There were so many people there and I was shocked that nobody claimed the story was false, because that’s how these things are usually handled, but there’s still time for that. Karen tried to downplay it on the GFW conference call saying it was blown out of proportion and they were just having fun, which was then denied to me by two people right there, although we thought she’d deny it ever happened publicly. At Raw after the story got out, there was some ribbing of Jordan with the idea Karen was asking for an autograph for him

Whats the full story? What was she threatening to do?

They had a tryst, she screamed "I'm not finished with you!" and he ran away. It scarred him horribly, but he used her catch phrase on his opponents now to bring the terror he once felt.

Now there's a copyright suit like Hardy's have.

My biggest complaint about a lot of the NXT talent has been that they often end up looking more like drama kids playing dressup than actual believable competitors/gimmicks

Daria is no exception

Except Daria was an MMA fighter. The boxing gloves make her look goofy. It didn't help that they kept her off TV for months, so you never even got a chance to see if she had improved. Berenato vs. Asuka working a shoot style could have helped kill time before the Ember Moon stuff started.

But if you're going to bring in Shayna Baszler, you don't need Daria Berenato.

Top Bottom