• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Sephzilla

I don't like her, plus she looks like a fool doing this.
tumblr_oikao0myCl1u1ljrzo2_500.gif

giphy.gif

You say that like Elgin hasn't been putting out quality work in his NJPW run. Elgin is a workhorse in the company.

No I meant more ironically because that whole conversation was in the context of talking aboyt Elgin.

That Elgin is good (can be very good) but he's a guy that more often gets elevated by being in there with someone great.

The best luchador in the world is a goddamnn jobber now.

Feels bad, man. x2

Thank you for the concern, Internet buddy, but I can assure that Mr. Luchador is alive and well, and happily retired. I've never been, or ever will be a jobber. Each time a foe defeated me it was a well earned victory for them, and an opportunity of learning for me.

Heroman

Banned
No I meant more ironically because that whole conversation was in the context of talking aboyt Elgin.

That Elgin is good (can be very good) but he's a guy that more often gets elevated by being in there with someone great.
What? No he is fantastic wreslter, like has more five matches than Naito. And you don't have matches that good if someone is elevating or carrying you.

Draxal

I'm ok with this because of Stardom but I also can't help but imagine what having someone as talented as her on tv each week would do to the overall quality of matches.

I just don't think Shirai could have gone over with workrate alone, Kairi has the cute pirate charming face gimmick going for her. I just don't see Shirai doing as well.

I was talking with my friend about Elgin tonight. He is similar to me in that something doesnt click with Elgin for me. He has great matches but something just feels a bit off.

My friend feels that a lot of his style is no selling and using power moves that really rely on someone else making them look good.

Not sure I totally agree but I can see where he is coming from.

I just don't think Shirai could have gone over with workrate alone, Kairi has the cute pirate charming face gimmick going for her. I just don't see Shirai doing as well.

Idk. I feel like Shirai does things in the ring no one else does (or at the very least no other woman in WWE does). And uniqueness more often than not gets over.

I do agree that Kairi has more WWE star potential though.

How long before Rousey is in WWE?

Seems like maybe WM.

There might be a Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen match. Shayna already wrestles and will be signed by them and the other members of the group are apparently training right now (Dave had a story about it this week in the Observer).

What? No he is fantastic wreslter, like has more five matches than Naito. And you don't have matches that good if someone is elevating or carrying you.

No he hasn't. He's had the same amount. 2. They also both have 4 4.75* matches.

So they both have identical numbers at the 5 and 4.75.

But Naito dwarfs Elgin's total numbers in 4.5, 4.25 and 4 star matches.

At 4.5* (Mid G1 I don't have all the updated ones) it's Naito: 10 Elgin: 3

At 4.25* it's Naito: 17 Elgin: 2

At 4* it's Naito: 13 Elgin: 5

Naito has the same number of 4.5 star matches that Elgin has 4, 4.25 and 4.5 combined.

Elgin is very good to great. Naito is elite.

No he hasn't. He's had the same amount. 2.

They have similar numbers at the 5 and 4.75. Both at 5* and 4.75*.

But Naito dwarfs Elgin's total numbers in 4.5, 4.25 and 4 star matches.

At 4.5* (Mid G1 I don't have all the updated ones) it's Naito: 10 Elgin: 3

At 4.25* it's Naito: 17 Elgin: 2

At 4* it's Naito: 13 Elgin: 5

Elgin is very good to great. Naito is elite.
This looks like a transcript for NJPW English commentary team.

On the subject of Elgin, I remember back when he was in ROH and complaining about New Japan not giving him a shot, people were shitting all over him. He was saying he thought he could do very well there, but he just needed the opportunity. And New Japan officials would never give him a tryout. And tons of people, including me, thought he was full of shit and wouldn't get over in Japan. But lo and behold, here we are a few years later.

The lesson here is that we are all clueless.

Beefy

Seems like maybe WM.

There might be a Four Horsewomen vs. Four Horsewomen match. Shayna already wrestles and will be signed by them and the other members of the group are apparently training right now (Dave had a story about it this week in the Observer).

Least WWE can pay her far less per year now

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know if wrestling can ever make Rousey seem badass again.

I mean, Brock had his surgery to fall back on, and he still looked like a beast.

Rousey got destroyed. Twice.

Tagyhag

I love Kairi.

But I don't think her pirate gimmick goes with main WWE.

Like, I can't see someone with that gimmick continually being in the main event picture.

It's too much of a comedy character thing, and that means that they'll keep her in the mid-card at best.

Foggy

Rousey has the world's most fragile ego, there's no way she could handle wrestling crowds.

I love Kairi.

Like, I can't see someone with that gimmick continually being in the main event picture.

It's too much of a comedy character thing, and that means that they'll keep her in the mid-card at best.

I doubt she ever gets the call up and if she does, she'll fail in more ways than her gimmick. Hell, Evil Jersey Shore Woman is about as bizarre as Pirate Cosplay Woman.

That said, I do hope they keep her gimmick as just a visual gimmick and not a character one. If they have her acting and/or talking like a pirate, then you can stick a fork in her.

Pikma

Banned
Yoooo I love what they've been doing with Roddy, whoever came up with all of this isn't that bad of a writer/booker

But that's the thing with NXT, they seem like they dedicate a lot of time and attention to certain guys and certain angles and then there's other things that feel so damn lazy, dumb and rushed like that random attack on Black by Itami, or that random attack on No Way Jose by Andrade, at least with Sanity it is justified because that's just the way they act all the time..

'member the totally not incest gimmick of the Burchills

Yeah. It was so awkward when they had to almost immediately reverse course because they decided to do an incest storyline in March and decided to go PG in July.

I love Kairi.

I don't think so. I think she can tone it down just enough for it to be a fun character with the ability to turn up the intensity when needed.

Egg0

Banned
Is there a women's midcard? I feel like every other week, there's a fatal 4 way or battle royal #1 contender match. Also Lana got a title shot, twice.

Pikma

Banned
Does modern wrestling even have hostile crowds? I mean, if you manage to get Roman Reigns heat probably but otherwise?

What's the most hostile shit they could yell at her? WHAT? You-can't-wrestle?

Rousey has the world's most fragile ego, there's no way she could handle wrestling crowds.

I doubt she ever gets the call up and if she does, she'll fail in more ways than her gimmick. Hell, Evil Jersey Shore Woman is about as bizarre as Pirate Cosplay Woman.

That said, I do hope they keep her gimmick as just a visual gimmick and not a character one. If they have her acting and/or talking like a pirate, then you can stick a fork in her.

There's no way she's not gonna get called up. Zero chance. Asuka is getting called up. Kairi is eight years younger and has a lot more potential for making money.

She did not leave Stardom for a pay cut only to stay in NXT.

Yoooo I love what they've been doing with Roddy, whoever came up with all of this isn't that bad of a writer/booker

But that's the thing with NXT, they seem like they dedicate a lot of time and attention to certain guys and certain angles and then there's other things that feel so damn lazy, dumb and rushed like that random attack on Black by Itami, or that random attack on No Way Jose by Andrade, at least with Sanity it is justified because that's just the way they act all the time..

Huh? The attack by Itami made sense. Black laid him out last night, so Itami retaliated.

Ya Kairi probably stays in NXT for a bit to get used to life over here and then she's off to the races

I did lol at Itami gettin' WASHED by Black so he sneak attacks em in revenge

Egg0

Banned
Does modern wrestling even have hostile crowds? I mean, if you manage to get Roman Reigns heat probably but otherwise?

What's the most hostile shit they could yell at her? WHAT? You-can't-wrestle?

There was that gross ass crowd that chanted to individual wrestlers that "you suck [insert significant other]."

Pikma

Banned
There's no way she's not gonna get called up. Zero chance. Asuka is getting called up. Kairi is eight years younger and has a lot more potential for making money.

She did not leave Stardom for a pay cut only to stay in NXT.

Huh? The attack by Itami made sense. Black laid him out last night, so Itami retaliated.
Haven't finished the episode, you just spoiled me!!!

Draxal

Idk. I feel like Shirai does things in the ring no one else does (or at the very least no other woman in WWE does). And uniqueness more often than not gets over.

I do agree that Kairi has more WWE star potential though.

She does, but it would get nerfed a bit in the wwe(stardom's matches do shit that would be nonoed in WWE - see Jungle's headbutts).

I think there is a dearth of natural faces right now in the Women's roster, you pretty much have Becky and Bayley. (sasha is really over but she's better as a heel); I do think Dakota Kai has that babyface appeal but need to see more of her. Its what makes me think Kairi has a real shot at being a star.

As for Io, three japanese wrestlers with a nerfed moveset with poor english is rough for a small roster, and very tough on the third member.

I was skimming through old nxt episodes with my girlfriend last night laughing at how young some people look and ran into Johnny Curtis...if they continue with fashion peaks next week I hope fandango has some sort of amnesia and reverts to him.

Forkball

I love Kairi.

It's the women's division. Split between two shows. Everyone who is semi-competent gets the belt. Alicia Fox is a former Divas champ. In fact, I'm gonna look it up.

Raw: 10 women, 6 champs
Smackdown: 8 women, 5 champs

So yeah, unless you are Emma, Lana, and Summer Rae tier, you get a shot at the title. Kairi is immensely talented in the ring and exudes confidence. The only problem I can see could be her English, but she does write in English on Twitter and says she is taking classes. Though maybe not speaking English could be an advantage considering some of the promos they write for the women.

Top Bottom