• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Hex

Banned
Okada probably watched that match and wondered why Nakamura-san was apologizing.

vicySbQ.gif

Bruv....Naito vs Ibushi..G1 night 1.
Glorious wtf cringe fest of greatness and sympathetic neck pain.

I will say that in the Tana match we saw how Ibushi's corner spear was supposed to work (thanks to a poor camera angle).
The one with Naito was definitely a botch

Being a main stay on 205 live is like being on the browns practice squad. Sure you made to the NFL but no really cares.

I mean, maybe, but it's more than most of the CWs get.

It's because how he says "Fox" though.

That helped, but it's not just because of that from the way I understand it. Vince likes his general ability to work with anything he's given.

I haven't watched 205 Live in a few weeks. What happened with the Dar and Alicia story? The last time I watched he turned on her which confused the fuck out of me because up until then the story seemed to be that Dar doesn't want to be with Alicia at all but then came this big reveal that the whole time he was playing her by making her think he liked her.

That was the end of it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I have no problem with Japanese wrestling, but defending Cena getting dropped on his head by saying that Japanese dudes take worse hits is kind of a ridiculous take. I mean, two different Japanese wrestlers have gotten absolutely fucked up in the ring this year. That isn't good or indicative of how wrestling is "supposed to be done." Meltzer seems pretty resigned to the fact there's going to be kick-ass matches in Japan until someone inevitably gets killed in the ring. He brings up Tanahashi working hurt like every other podcast. I think like last week he said he wished Titus O'Neill was Tanahashi's manager and would throw the towel in for him.

Anth0ny

I know (assume?) you're joking but that spot (hell, a lot of the spots in those guys matches, or Ibushi v Naito recently and many others) really shouldnt be happening.

Honest question cause I don't know how fake sports work: Isn't the scary place to land on the top of your head as opposed to your shoulder/traps?

Like when Austin had his near paralysis it was the top of his fucking head and I imagined his neck and spine crunching together like an accordion.

The Cena bump and all the bumps we see in Japan look like they land on their shoulder or traps, which is why they can continue with the match afterwards instead of being, you know... dead.

MC Safety

Nia Jax did a podcast with Chris Jericho.

Jericho also did a podcast with Bo Dallas, and the promotional text on the Podcast one Web site states Dallas is a huge conspiracy theorist. I'd hope this is part of his wrestling gimmick, or that he's being facetious, but I don't really care to investigate the matter.

I mean, I have no problem with Japanese wrestling, but defending Cena getting dropped on his head by saying that Japanese dudes take worse hits is kind of a ridiculous take. I mean, two different Japanese wrestlers have gotten absolutely fucked up in the ring this year. That isn't good or indicative of how wrestling is "supposed to be done."

I don't think anyone was saying that. We were just talking about why Meltzer and Alvarez wouldn't bring it up, probably just didn't have that much of an impact on them.

klonere

Banned
I mean, I have no problem with Japanese wrestling, but defending Cena getting dropped on his head by saying that Japanese dudes take worse hits is kind of a ridiculous take. I mean, two different Japanese wrestlers have gotten absolutely fucked up in the ring this year. That isn't good or indicative of how wrestling is "supposed to be done." Meltzer seems pretty resigned to the fact there's going to be kick-ass matches in Japan until someone inevitably gets killed in the ring. He brings up Tanahashi working hurt like every other podcast. I think like last week he said he wished Titus O'Neill was Tanahashi's manager and would throw the towel in for him.

I'm definitely not defending it.

That Cena bump was scary as hell, guess I'm just desensitized at this stage though. Flat back bumps are CTE inducing, I'm morally compromised watching any type of wrestling~

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Honest question cause I don't know how fake sports work: Isn't the scary place to land on the top of your head as opposed to your shoulder/traps?

Like when Austin had his near paralysis it was the top of his fucking head and I imagined his neck and spine crunching together like an accordion.

The Cena bump and all the bumps we see in Japan look like they land on their shoulder or traps, which is why they can continue with the match afterwards instead of being, you know... dead.

dude you JUST posted a gif of Okada landing right on his head lol :D

Landing on the top of your head is worse.

That does not mean landing very high on your shoulders and causing your neck to strain is okay.

Beefy

Jericho also did a podcast with Bo Dallas, and the promotional text on the Podcast one Web site states Dallas is a huge conspiracy theorist. I'd hope this is part of his wrestling gimmick, or that he's being facetious, but I don't really care to investigate the matter.

Nah, he said Sandy Hook is a lie etc

jmdajr

It certainly is. It should never be the norm. Yeah, mistakes happen but they should be avoided as much as possible.

Zach

Dudes posted about it on here, of course. You don't want to hear the details.

Sephzilla

It's not

Heroman

Banned
I doubt that will happen.

klonere

Banned

Shibata was really, really close to dying or at least being wheelchair bound for life.

Zach

You needed the refs help to even beat the Nation tho....
You mean a referee who called it right down the middle?! A man who wouldn't stand for Beefy's outside interference?! Beefy put his hands on my person, okay?! My person!! The referee did the right thing and deserved the standing ovation the GWF Galaxy gave him!

Tanahashi's quote about not getting the surgery was fucking terrifying. He basically said he owes it to the fans to show up and be Tanahashi right now, regardless of whatever problems it may personally cause him later.

You mean a referee who called it right down the middle?! A man who wouldn't stand for Beefy's outside interference?! Beefy put his hands on my person, okay?! My person!! The referee did the right thing and deserved the standing ovation the GWF Galaxy gave him!

Beefy did nothing wrong. He was simply supporting his client and that ref threw him out. Most blatant example of 'cism I've ever seen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think anyone was saying that. We were just talking about why Meltzer and Alvarez wouldn't bring it up, probably just didn't have that much of an impact on them.

Alvarez was trying to bring it up, but the issue was a straight up non-starter for Meltzer (like he legit misinterpreted Alvarez's question about it) because Cena was pretty clearly not injured on it. It was just a scary looking bump.

It's kind of crazy that Sasha Banks takes bumps like that all of the goddamn time, but Bayley gets hurt on a botched shoulder tackle from an opponent who has no business in a ring. Nia did nothing to protect her opponent there and didn't even notice she fucked up. You shouldn't be putting people like that in a ring.

Imagine if Big E and Sasha Banks hooked up and had a kid. It would probably moonsault off of the crib and land headfirst.

He says something to that effect that you can't keep pushing the envelope further fairly often. He sometimes will remark on some guy working NJPW and says something like "he's doing great and going to have kick ass matches until he kills himself in a year or two."

Stall19

Joshi, not to be outdone by the men also have gotten on the action of terrible unsafe spots. Say hello to one of Kairi's concussions.

giphy.gif

Angry Grimace

Shibata was really, really close to dying or at least being wheelchair bound for life.

Honma announced his plan to return to the ring like a month after he got surgery. He spent something like another two and a half months in the hospital after his announcement. I mean, it's a different culture, sure, but you shouldn't want to see this dude back in a ring.

Draxal

To be honest, the second big hiatus from wrestling was after watching the documentary about Mick Foley's wife when Mick got nailed in the head 23029309230923092309230 times by the Rock with the chair.

Nakamura not having to have someone kick the shit out of him every match is probably a big reason why he jumped to WWE.

That and the fact he could deliver 2 star matches forever and have the crowd eating out of his hand.

Hex

Banned

Ref did a fine job, and I am proud of Zach for reaching into his darkness to come up with the win.
Will only make it sweeter when I take the belts from him and his sidekick.

Tanahashi's quote about not getting the surgery was fucking terrifying. He basically said he owes it to the fans to show up and be Tanahashi right now, regardless of whatever problems it may personally cause him later.

I'm always wary of interviews like that tbh, it wouldn't be the first time New Japan's played up an injury angle to make a popular face seem more heroic, or to emphasise the challenge they face, etc.

Also, I don't think Dave has much in the way of sources in Japan any more - this isn't the 90's when he was over there every other month, now he relies a lot on word from the gaijin boys over there. For instance, him originally reporting that the Shibata thing might be a work. That was clearly info fed to him by a gaijin not in the loop.

I'm always wary of interviews like that tbh, it wouldn't be the first time New Japan's played up an injury angle to make a popular face seem more heroic, or to emphasise the challenge they face, etc.

Also, I don't think Dave has much in the way of sources in Japan any more - this isn't the 90's when he was over there every other month, now he relies a lot on word from the gaijin boys over there. For instance, him originally reporting that the Shibata thing might be a work. That was clearly info fed to him by a gaijin not in the loop.

The problem is that I don't think that makes Tanahashi look heroic. It makes him seem idiotic.

Zach

Ref did a fine job, and I am proud of Zach for reaching into his darkness to come up with the win.
Will only make it sweeter when I take the belts from him and his sidekick.
Biggest-Geek-Ever and I rotate Team Captain status and responsibility. We are the perfect team. We are one.

Hex

Banned
Nakamura not having to have someone kick the shit out of him every match is probably a big reason why he jumped to WWE.

That and the fact he could deliver 2 star matches forever and have the crowd eating out of his hand.

He did it at the right time to be honest.
WWE is ...I will not say scared of Japan, their egos are too big for that but they are intrigued by Japan.
They already expected to have a footing their when the network went live there, but they have come to find that the locals are a bit more than some fly by night pyramid scheme.
So they are building a talent base to keep an appeal there for when they do make a push.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
LOL at Alvarez pulling from KO's tweet

"Including Nakamura almost killing Cena, with that move where you are supposed to flip over, but Cena did not flip over and landed right on his neck, but as noted by Kevin Owens on twitter, he is now a Transformer, so he is fine"

Hex

Banned
Biggest-Geek-Ever and I rotate Team Captain status and responsibility. We are the perfect team. We are one.

I am not interested in which one of you is the dom and which is the sub or who spray tans who, whatever makes you both happy.
It will not save you.

Anth0ny

Cena is more like the real life Wolverine.

He probably broke his next taking that bump but healed it in the 15 seconds between then and the kinshasa finish.

I'm super disappointed that nothing came of his heavyweight move up in NJPW. Everytime he had a big singles match it was always a highlight. I guess if they didn't want him, this is how it's meant to be.

O'Reilly wasn't getting great reactions, Gedo liked him but he just wasn't getting over with crowds. WWE was always his end goal, so no surprise he jumped.

Top Bottom