• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Striker

Ambrose, Miz, and Ziggler in a ring together. That trio collectively has the world champion, IC champion, and number one contender for the WC.

Only now do I see how far the darkness has spread.
Those three collectively have won as many world titles in the WWF/E as Ric Flair, Macho Man, and the Ultimate Warrior have won.

RIP

Aiii

So not worth it
This is the first WWE 24 that just isn't really good, it has good bits when it's being honest, but also has revisionist history which instantly makes it three steps below a regular WWE 24.

naomi7bqgh.gif

Ecstacy is a violation of the wellness policy....

I think it's stupid to pretend that one belt would be fine with two completely different shows and future PPVs.

Yeah, that's the main issue with only having one belt. Unfortunately, I feel that the belts get devalued as more are added. That was a problem with the last brand extension and it will probably be a problem again. Earlier tonight someone ITT asked if Ambrose forgot that Ziggler was a two time world champ, the problem is that nobody really viewed Dolph as the champ during that period. At that time it was probably Cena or whoever Cena was feuding with.

The title Ziggler won was basically a glorified midcard belt, which meant that the real midcard titles meant nothing. It was just a few months ago that Sami Zayn, KO, Cesaro and the Miz were all in a feud for the Intercontinental Championship. That feud actually made me care about that title again, and now the belt feels less important again.

Both shows having full sets of titles could work if their rosters were deep enough to support it. I've got a feeling though that certain wrestlers will be pushed to the main event that would otherwise be nowhere near if the brand extension didn't happen. That's not all bad though since it keeps feuds fresh and gives other wrestlers a chance to shine. It just feels weird to me that Ziggler is referred to as a two time world champ when I feel that he never really got to that point. I think I just miss the days when Hulk Hogan and Austin both being six time champs meant something. Nowadays, there are multiple guys in the company that have amassed almost as many reigns as Ric Flair has.

I can keep on bitching and go on and on about why I can't stand having multiple titles, but I really don't know how to fix it with there being two brands. I could maybe see a situation where the title's could be defended in a kind of Raw vs. Smackdown event where the winner's take the gold back to their shows, but that probably wouldn't work from a writing perspective and kind of violates the whole keeping the brand's separate thing.

oddjobs

So since Cena's presumably going to take some time off, and he looked dominant at the end of Smackdown, I guess AJ wins at Summerslam?

Browny

Banned
You know who really gets the short end of the stick?

The current tag team belts.

Yup:

W02786X_crop_north.jpg

Disgusting.

However:

ab95fdac832972e7a4c3b7a1b3c777f6.jpg

Either of these are fine.

I could imagine them going for shenanigans in a title match, to hold the belts up and run a tournament - good time to introduce new belts. But didn't they do a tag team tournament not too long ago?

Syder

But didn't they do a tag team tournament not too long ago?
Yeah but Enzo getting that concussion in the deciding match for the No. 1 contender slot really took the momentum out of it. I'd like new belts when Enzo & Cass inevitably get the Gol… Bronze.

Stro recently confided in me that he is considering shutting down legitshook.com. He says that no matter what type or what quality of content he adds, traffic is trending downwards. Now, strobobo is a very good friend of mine, and I know how much time he spends on the articles he authors for the site. And despite being puzzled by most of wrestling gaf at the best of times, I think legitshook.com is our site, and strobobo will always be one, if not the best, of us.

So I think we owe it to him--and to ourselves--to figure out ways to drive traffic to legitshook.com. If anyone has any ideas, please share them here and I will gladly forward them to our fallen brother.

Start a podcast? Seems to be the most effective way to draw fans.

Sigh....WWE is definitely in a shit spot right now. The Eva thing is a great way build up heat, but it really feels like an Attitude level push all over again.

JBL also just said Eva "magree"

UberTag

Enjoy, the biggest difference is you'll feel lonely without the commentary tbh. I've been to many shows but the lack of commentary (even of it's bad) seems so weird. I'm skeptical of going to Mania due to those reasons alone.
I'm actually shocked the WWE doesn't sell headsets at network special events and TV tapings with a direct feed to the commentary team for the crowd.

Seems like a no-brainer thing that people would gladly pay extra for. Like paying to watch a movie in 3D when it wasn't shot in 3D in the first place.

Then again, they're probably waiting for some other professional sport to come up with the idea first so they can leech off of it then.

So since Cena's presumably going to take some time off, and he looked dominant at the end of Smackdown, I guess AJ wins at Summerslam?
You'd think that, wouldn't you?

I can keep on bitching and go on and on about why I can't stand having multiple titles, but I really don't know how to fix it with there being two brands. I could maybe see a situation where the title's could be defended in a kind of Raw vs. Smackdown event where the winner's take the gold back to their shows, but that probably wouldn't work from a writing perspective and kind of violates the whole keeping the brand's separate thing.
It would work just fine if they actually bothered to build feuds with storytelling instead of just throwing two guys in the ring together to dance and having them trade wins back and forth and the only thing that motivates them being belts (that can't even be referred to as belts) that often result in them losing more often once they have them or "making the WWE Universe happy". But they don't do that any more.

kiguel182

Slater deserves more than just being a comedy jobber. He was the best part of both shows.

Also, they are bringing back Curt Hawkins with a Chuck Norris gimmick? Why?

I'm actually shocked the WWE doesn't sell headsets at network special events and TV tapings with a direct feed to the commentary team for the crowd.

Seems like a no-brainer thing that people would gladly pay extra for. Like paying to watch a movie in 3D when it wasn't shot in 3D in the first place.

Then again, they're probably waiting for some other professional sport to come up with the idea first so they can leech off of it then.

This is possible at some stadium. You use your phone to access a particular network / app and get extra information for the event you're at.

UberTag

Slater deserves more than just being a comedy jobber. He was the best part of both shows.
Slater has always excelled while making the most out of very limited opportunities. He even made gold out of his JBL & Cole show character. He's essentially the new Santino Marella.

Hasney

Smackdown was great again. While I'm not a fan of the gimmick, that was more of a psush for Curt Hawkins than he ever got in his first run.

kiguel182

Slater has always excelled while making the most out of very limited opportunities. He even made gold out of his JBL & Cole show character. He's essentially the new Santino Marella.

I think the promo he cut on Lesnar showed a serious side that I had not seen before and I liked it.

Aiii

So not worth it
EDMaomi is so ridiculous it's bordering on "so bad it's good" but I'm not sure it's there yet.

Not sure, she needs to go even further, I think.

As usual Vince has got it all wrong, I care more about Heath than the no one cares feud against Borton and Bork that we're supposed to be hyped for. >_>

I'm like, actually, I want to see more of Heath, the guy who is fighting for his (miscellaneous number of) kids, his livelyhood, someone the everyman can relate to. But nope he is just the butt of the joke "HAHAHAHA" so funny, right? As soon as they threw him out I'm like back to *fast forward* to the rest of Heyman's same old waffling on about nothing shit.

It's like Rusev, the man fighting for the honor of his beautiful bride, but he loses because he is the bad guy for some reason? Rusev is Sami Zayn tier good guy.

Barrage

WWE was trapped because their roster is (hypothetically) deep enough for two World titles, but not two women's or Tag titles.

I wouldnt have minded Floating Champions at all. They could even make storylines out of it. i.E. the Club could be tag champions and know that they can only team with A.J. on Smackdown as long as they have the belts.

I wish the women's division wasn't split. =\ I'd rather the women be exclusive to Raw than there being a cruiser weight division or just had that on Smackdown.

For the love of god I hope Naomi's move set has improved, no more rear view, no more whatever it was called when she'd pull her opponent's face into her ass and no more of that stupid kicking thing that had absolutely no impact to it.

Pizoxuat

I don't think they want this because it provides and incentive to sit down and listen quietly. WWE loves the rowdy, loud, enthusiastic crowds.

Shows are so much better live in part because you don't have to listen to the knuckleheads on commentary ignore the show.

Top Bottom