• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Kaladin

The move just doesn't make sense to me. Why can't Jordan just land the dude himself and roll into a suplex? They really need a move where one person brings something to the finisher that the other can't.

It's the added sense of the "oh shit" moment when Jordan lets the guy go and the feeling of falling into the German makes it more impactful than just landing the German.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I lived through that when it was new, revisiting traumatic periods doesn't sound fun.

You guys should watch some of those dope NWA episodes that hit the Network this and last week. Lots of right before it turned into WCW stuff. What a cool time.

Aiii

So not worth it
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/art...-access-experience-november-2016?sf33510789=1

With this exclusive experience, you will:

•Share a light breakfast and lunch with NXT Superstars (meals included)

•Participate in a Q&A and Orientation Session with NXT coaching staff

•Attend a Q&A and autograph session with NXT Superstars

•Sign a one-day WWE booking contract, granting admission to a private NXT Live Event at the WWE Performance Center that you will help produce, manage and watch alongside your favorite NXT Superstars

•Take an all-access tour of the WWE Performance Center

•Get an inside look at a private NXT Training Session

•Learn the ropes during a promo class, then create your very own promo video

•Create your very own entrance as NXT Superstars cheer you on

Plus, you’ll be able to take the experience home, with exclusive keepsakes, including:

•Commemorative WWE Performance Center: All Access Credential

•WWE Performance Center Gift Bag

•Limited Edition Event Chair pre-signed by NXT Superstars

•WWE Performance Center: All Access Highlight Reel (available for download after the experience)

•Your Personal Promo Video; available for download after the experience

•Professional photos will be taken throughout the day (available for download after the experience)

The WWE Performance Center: All Access experience is $1,499 per person.* Tickets are available now at NXTTickets.com. Space is extremely limited and will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. Don’t miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime!

Kaladin

I feel like they have completely botched Finn's debut angle since that awesome first night. They have kind of pulled a Roman on him in that he's being forced down everyone's throat at any given minute. They also forced the Demon appearance on Raw when before it was at least special for only being used in big matches. Now it might as well be his normal thing.

I'm still looking forward to the match as unlike Roman, Balor can actually go.

klonere

Banned
who? do you mean the DEMON KING?

original.jpg

I can't wait for Summerslam when Eva Marie will spend the entire tag-match on the apron doing absolutely nothing and then at the very end tag herself in after Alexa or Natalya finish off Carmella to score the pin.

bjork

You guys should watch some of those dope NWA episodes that hit the Network this and last week. Lots of right before it turned into WCW stuff. What a cool time.

No network sub for me, but I can imagine those episodes being good times.

I really want bjork's gimmick to be this:

he rolls out of his waterbed, reaches for his phone, gets notes on all the shows, hops to the computer and says : "Wrestling is a work and its also garbage" and go to back to bed.

$$$$$

Not even playin'

I shower once after bed and once right before, so if you fit that in, we can do this.

Kaladin

I'm looking forward to KO/Jericho vs Enzo/Cass far more than I am a Rollins and Balor feud. That's whole thing has been riddled with bad booking. Even blew their load by having dude come out Monday night in paint.

I'm with ya. The dynamic between those four is amazing. I wish there were belts involved. They have it.

Kaladin

Wed night is the best night of Wrasslin, even without Lucha.

8 PM - WWE NXT on the WWE Network:

*NXT Takever Brooklyn preview.

*Carmella & Liv Morgan & Nikki Glencross vs. Alexa Bliss & Mandy Rose & Daria Berenato.

9 PM - WWE Cruiserweight Classic on the WWE Network:

*Akira Tozawa vs. Jack Gallagher
*Noam Dar vs. Ho Ho Lun
*Brian Kendrick vs. Tony Nese

Well, NXT might be worth skipping this week. But hot damn that CWC. Tozawa vs Gallagher, Dar gonna kill Ho Ho and Kendrick vs Nese.

Pikma

Banned
What kind of stupid motherfucker would kill all the potential interest in the Cesaro v Sheamus match at Summerslam by making it match #1 of a best of 7 series?

And the writing used to justify it is even more fucking mindblowing:

"Hey guys I know you want to kill each other so bad and are eager to end this feud once and for all so I'll have you go through 6 irrelevant matches before you're able to have your wish"

What the fuck

Leedogg

So I got an email from my local convention center for a wrestling event coming in September. The wrestling organization is the Micro Championship Wrestling (MCW). There motto is "Half the Size Twice the Violence" Just that Motto has me intrigued. Does anybody know anything about them, or seen them in action?

Tom Nook

What kind of stupid motherfucker would kill all the potential interest in the Cesaro v Sheamus match at Summerslam by making it match #1 of a best of 7 series?

And the writing used to justify it is even more fucking mindblowing:

"Hey guys I know you want to kill each other so bad and are eager to end this feud once and for all so I'll have you go through 6 irrelevant matches before you're able to have your wish"

What the fuck

That baffles me there, I don't know. They are stretching that shit out to 7 matches.

bjork

So I got an email from my local convention center for a wrestling event coming in September. The wrestling organization is the Micro Championship Wrestling (MCW). There motto is "Half the Size Twice the Violence" Just that Motto has me intrigued. Does anybody know anything about them, or seen them in action?

http://www.mcwnation.com/

these guys? I think these are the ones that had the show with hulk hogan awhile back.

looking at their site... they have a dude called Lt. Dan. I shouldn't be laughing, but holy crap

Kaladin

So between the 50 minute video which looks kinda meh, the convoluted sounding leveling system and the last minute 2 month delay, I feel confident in my decision to cancel my pre-order for Final Fantasy XV.

Zach

So any of you lucha lovers familiar with this Cassandro fellow I saw the other day on The New Yorker Presents?

GNlapkr.png

Worth a watch.

gun_haver

Agreed! I've always liked Naomi. She was elevating women's matches before Sasha et al came up, and she's been ignored since (and pretty much always), so I like that she now has an entertaining entrance and hopefully she and Becky can have some good matches.She got a good reaction coming in totally cold, as well, so you know its an entrance people can get behind. Just give her some time.

I know a lot of people hate the She Calls It The Rear View, but I really don't mind it that much. I'm not attached to it either, so sure, give her a new finisher while we're at it. Let's get Naomi in the game here, she's good.

Recall

ROH The Future is Now (12th June 2005)

We begin with a clip from WB News promoting ROH being in New York for this show, as WWE’s produced ECW One Night Stand was also happening in New York later that same night. We get these WB News highlights throughout the DVD and they are pretty bad but any press is good press.

Match 1) Jimmy Rave [w/ The Embassy] vs. Colt Cabana
Thoughts: Decent back and forth and was totally fine for what it was but its focus, as with most indy matches was super unclear. Neither guy held any momentum before being cut off from the other and the wrestling itself was a mixture of spots for spots sake, and some sound ground work. Though there was no payoff for what they set up and for what happened after the match the booking made little to no sense. The match itself was inoffensive and showcased both well enough for those unfamiliar with either. The finish was neat with Colt escaping the styles clash and rolling up Rave.
Grade: C, Passable.

Match 2) Carnage Crew vs. Dunn & Marcos (Street Fight)
Thoughts: Dunn and Marcos get busted open early as the Carnage Crew dominate them both with slams, whips into the guard railing and general fisticuffs. Eventually a ladder appears allowing Dunn and Marcos to gain the upperhand but only for a moment without getting in any offence as Dunn suddenly gets thrown off the top turnbuckle through the set up ladder and Marcos is destroyed with a top rope spiked piledriver. Totally one sided and basically an extended unspectacular squash.
Grade: D, Underwhelming

Match 3) BJ Whitmer vs. Izzy vs. Jack Evans vs. Azrieal vs. Deranged vs. Fast Eddie (6 Man Mayhem)
Thoughts: Fast action with lots and lots of flips, inditastic moves and total chaos. There is no structure or reasoning for anything as it’s just a move showcase ran at 100mph with no-one selling a thing. Basically we got lots of no selling and a continuous string of high impact moves. It’s a match you could watch once and be entertained by live, which the crowd were but you would never need to see it again.
Grade: D, Underwhelming.

Shane Douglas comes out to beat up two nobodies, and then begins berating WWE’s ECW show, promoting his forever hardcore DVD and general whining. All this was supposedly done to set up a match down the road for Shane in ROH, which I don’t think ever happened as Shane was pissed about his time here and how poorly it went over.

Match 4) Homicide vs. James Gibson
Thoughts: A far more methodical match with both concentrating on each other’s necks which makes sense considering each other’s preferred way of finishing matches involves the neck/head. And due to the pace and focus we get a more well rounded and satisfying match, with their moves having far more meaning and thusly impact. Homicide finding ways to slow a more versatile Gibson down was fun to see and for a wrestler who was incredible in 2003, Homicide had some of that old spark here too. The match lacked a little in the intensity department, which didn’t get displayed until the match was over (we got very aggressive comebacks with big move attempts) but I enjoyed what they did and would gladly watch a rematch.
Grade: B, Enjoyable.

After the match an injured Jay Lethal runs in and attacks Homicide only to be chased off by Homicide's tag team partner, Low Ki. Jay Lethal was on the receiving end of a cop-killa/double stomp combo at the last New York show so he is back for revenge.

Match 5) CM Punk vs. Roderick Strong
Thoughts: The story with Punk at the time was whether or not he would be leaving ROH and go to WWE and we all know what happened there but it did lead to a super hot period for ROH as they/he created the Summer of Punk idea. Where Punk as champion would threaten to leave the company with the belt and with each show it was unclear if that was indeed going to be his last match adding drama and heat to each title match. In the end Punk left ROH having made ROH more money in the process and created a buzz we wouldn’t see again until 2011 with Punk repeating the angle on a much larger scale. Punk didn’t capture the ROH World title belt until the next show, which was advertised as being his last ROH appearance so let’s move on to the match at hand.

Punk focuses on Strong’s arm and does his very best to avoid as much of Strong’s striking offense as possible. There is plenty of energy showcased by both while still doing their very best to tell a story of Punk using his experience to outwit the gutsy underdog. The pacing is wonderful as it was never too much for the sheer sake of it, Punk had an agenda and stuck with it and it helped the match ten-fold. Roderick Strong at this point was considered still a newcomer for ROH but he has always been able to hold his own and know how to stand out and entertain especially with his chops.

Quick rant. During the opening match Cabana did a spot where he went to chop Rave and Rave moved out of the way so Cabana actually chopped the ring post, which the crowd popped for yet it was a non factor in the match. This match is using the chop as a main story telling point and they do the same spot, which is great and all but its impact was neutered by it already being done and crowd having seen it coming. This is why indy wrestling can be frustrating. 1) They shouldn’t have done the spot in the opening match and 2) since it was done in the opener, Punk/Strong should have come up with a different way to incorporate it. I don’t think the opening match had any right doing the spot as it wasn’t a match where the spot mattered, fuck Cabana didn’t even sell it. Anyway rant over, back to the match.

Strong gets his opportunity and begins to hit his backbreakers allowing Strong to keep his momentum and work Punk down with stretches and slams. Strong goes to the well once too often and it allows Punk to counter and give himself some respite. Massive chop exchange, which neither man gets the better of so Punk changes it up with kicks. It seems Punk has the match won but Strong counters a pinning attempt with backbreakers leading to a well earned elevated boston crab. Punk escapes and begins his comeback and wins the match by reversing a last ditch backbreaker attempt by Strong into the anaconda vice.

I loved this match. It told a story exceptionally well and was more than just about two guys getting their moves in, it was about building towards something and letting you get enthralled by what they did. Indy wrestling today is still about watching guys get “their shit in” rather than telling you a story or giving you a chance to be invested in the outcome. As with almost all Roderick Strong matches at this time it was all about “look how I tried, look how close I came” and not just “look guys I can do the flips”

Punk gets a standing ovation and a thank you Punk chant as everyone was convinced Punk only had one show left...
Grade: A, Exciting.

Match 6) Samoa Joe (c) vs. Nigel McGuinness (ROH Pure Title Match)
Thoughts: Pure Title rules (limited use of ropebreaks, warnings on closed fists and 20 count on the floor) are somewhat peculiar resulting in odd matches as they focus heavily on these stipulations and weird outcomes but hey, sometimes different can be good if done well.

We get random holds and stretches early on but they bust out the strikes with a cool spot that saw Nigel being sent through the ropes out into the crowd even taking out a ringside staffer on his way out, all from just a Samoa Joe running kick. Joe exhausts all his rope breaks by escaping really basic holds, which doesn’t make too much sense. Why not save them for when you really need them? They slug it out and Nigel ties Joe up in the ropes but Joe has no rope breaks but the hold is so bad that no-one believes its gonna end the match anyway. With that spot out of the way they devolve into a standard match, which Joe wins with ease.
Grade: C, Passable.

Shane Douglas is back out and the crowd boo him relentlessly. Including “You still suck” chants, ruthless jeering and general disdain sent in his direction. They even cut the promo short on the DVD knowing it was doing nothing and wasn’t going the way they wanted.

Match 7) Austin Aries vs. Low Ki (Non-Title Unsanctioned Match)
Thoughts: Low Ki is notorious for never wanting to be booked in a position that makes him look weak (i.e. losing) but he was a name that drew so maybe he had a point therefore a straight up title match would mean defeat, as the plan was Punk vs. Aries for the belt so they had to get creative here. How did they get to this unsanctioned main event match? Low Ki interrupted Aries during the WB news segment. That’s it. Though their last encounter about 8 months prior ended up as a draw (as again Low Ki doesn’t do losing) so hopefully they play off that here.

Strike exchange starts us off and then Low Ki’s entourage gets instantly ejected, ok then. Low Ki’s intensity is something to behold though and it does create an interesting dynamic as it’s up to Aries to keep powering through Ki’s ever increasing harder strikes. Aries attempts a frog splash but Ki gets his knees up allowing Ki to control the match and wear Aries down with holds. Aries escapes and then returns the favour of being in control and just as he gains momentum an Aries dive is countered by a kick to his head. Back to rest holds we go, then to the strikes and lots of them. Aries hulks up and starts a beat down of his own on Ki and guess what, Ki still manages to get the upperhand. They fuck up a bunch of moves and this match is a little weird as we have the intensity and aggression and energy but it doesn’t fully click on all levels. Aries hits Low Ki with his own double stomp, which isn’t enough to keep him down so Aries just punts him in the head. Cool. Aries goes up to the top rope so Ki kicks the ref into the ropes to dislodge and stop Aries’ attack. Low Ki hits a super Ki Krusher from the top to a monsterous pop and Aries is defeated.

What a way to promote the big upcoming Punk vs. Aries title match but hey now Punk can go in to it with a game plan. It was an intense fight and very hard hitting though personally I feel it’s something I’ve seen before but regardless I still was entertained by it all. Jay Lethal runs down after the match and lays Low Ki out with a Dragon Suplex to help continue Lethal's quest for retribution.
Grade: B, Enjoyable.

Overall: I can see someone getting something more out of the main event if they haven’t seen a Low Ki match before because it displayed everything you need to know about him (including all the stiff strikes imaginable). I enjoyed 3 matches on the card and feel the rest fell a little flat especially Joe vs. Nigel. Strong vs. Punk was great and a wonderful thing to watch and I would totally recommend that match but as a show as a whole, yeah it is a good way to introduce someone to ROH but it isn’t the best show they’ve done. Though what makes ROH fun is the effort they put in and it’s a nice alternative, regardless if it pays off or not.

Kaladin

I for one am glad they're bringing Best of 7 back. It's a great way to work a feud based on wrestling. I hope they switch things up by making all of the matches with different stips.

I just wish it wasn't wasted on a guy like Sheamus. Sure, a good showing could do a lot for him, but he's been out of the picture for so long it would be hard to see it do any good.

klonere

Banned
ROH The Future is Now (12th June 2005)

Overall: I can see someone getting something more out of the main event if they haven’t seen a Low Ki match before because it displayed everything you need to know about him (including all the stiff strikes imaginable). I enjoyed 3 matches on the card and feel the rest fell a little flat especially Joe vs. Nigel. Strong vs. Punk was great and a wonderful thing to watch and I would totally recommend that match but as a show as a whole, yeah it is a good way to introduce someone to ROH but it isn’t the best show they’ve done. Though what makes ROH fun is the effort they put in and it’s a nice alternative, regardless if it pays off or not.

Thanks for this, ROH is a total blindspot for me.

Pikma

Banned
Who's the Wrasslegaf booker? I want to have a best of 52 series with SomewhatGroovy but I don't know who I should talk to

klonere

Banned
Who's the Wrasslegaf booker? I want to have a best of 52 series with SomewhatGroovy but I don't know who I should talk to

Sorry bud, you've got 5 minutes in the dark match. 1 high spot allowed. Double count out finish.

Due, pay, etc. Now get out there and break a leg.

Top Bottom