• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| Make a.. make a good...uh...a good wrestling thread

Oh heck, I GUESS THAT MEANS CENA WINS AT SUMMERSLAM

Im going to cry seeing AJ lose

Edit: oh shit, Ive never been happier to see an AA!!

OH MY GOD A TABLE SPOT! AJ IS WINNING SO HARD

A SummerSlam where Ziggler goes over Ambrose and Styles goes over Cena would be pretty incredible. Let's just hope Rollins retains against The Daemon Kang.

I'm actually shocked the WWE doesn't sell headsets at network special events and TV tapings with a direct feed to the commentary team for the crowd.

Seems like a no-brainer thing that people would gladly pay extra for. Like paying to watch a movie in 3D when it wasn't shot in 3D in the first place.

Then again, they're probably waiting for some other professional sport to come up with the idea first so they can leech off of it then.

I'm almost positive they did do this a few years ago.

Edit: Yup, they did. It looks like they don't anymore though.

Zach

WWE was trapped because their roster is (hypothetically) deep enough for two World titles, but not two women's or Tag titles.

I wouldnt have minded Floating Champions at all. They could even make storylines out of it. i.E. the Club could be tag champions and know that they can only team with A.J. on Smackdown as long as they have the belts.

I wish the women's division wasn't split. =\ I'd rather the women be exclusive to Raw than there being a cruiser weight division or just had that on Smackdown.
Yup.

They should've done:

RAW - US, Tag, CW
SDL - IC, Women's

World champ, #1 contender, and MITB winners
Heath Slater
appear on both shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The women being split up will make more sense once Bayley comes to Smackdown. Gotta keep her away from Sasha and Charolette to save some big money crossover matches for huge PPVs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually subjecting yourself to 5 hours of RAW and Smackdown.

I don't know why you people do it.

Wednesday also has three hours of wrestling, though they're spread over two hours. Thursday has impact, and Friday sometimes has NJPW on AXS. Every other Sunday will have a Live Event eventually.

Definitely Smackdown and not just because it is 2 hours long.

Aside from that abysmal premiere episode of Smackdown Live, it's been more consistent as well as showcasing feuds. I didn't get behind an Ambrose/Ziggler feud but these past few weeks show it can come together a bit more organically compared to the Rollins/Demon "Kane" feud. They've been showing off American Alpha pretty good, not to overexposed them unlike Enzo and Cass over at Raw. Eva Marie trolling is wonderful stuff and basically every Smackdown star in the roster has a minute to shine...even Corbin and Kalisto. So yeah I'm gonna continue watching SL while having Raw in the background while I do other stuff.

Kaladin

I'm finally up to the historic Madison Square Garden Raw where they started Austin vs McMahon. We decided to skip One Night Only and aside from HBK showing up with a belt that doesn't even feel like cannon at this point it's like it never happened.

ReiGun

Smackdown being an hour shorter gives it a clear advantage. It's just a tighter show overall.

Also, while it has less talent, it's done a better job of utilizing what it has. The women's division is more interesting even without a title. The upper card feuds (Dean/Dolph, Cena/AJ) have had better builds. Hell I'd even say that minus the Brock encounter, Heath Slater's segments have been better on SD.

There's still some areas of improvement, to be sure. They've done a pretty poor job of building the IC title feud, and generally giving the lower card more time to really shine. Also, at this point, they might as well just have a coronation ceremony for American Alpha as the new SD tag champs than keeping up any pretense that any of the other teams matter.

But overall, save the abysmal premiere, I've just enjoyed Smackdown more week to week.

If SD can do sch a great job of resurging Dolph they'll probably do a great job with Bray too, I like how they've been teasing his next singles feud with Orton.

Overall SD has done a much better job of showcasing all their talent through consistent storylines.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last night I watched Raw is Owen and man...that's a good tribute show. Almost everyone comes off as sincere. This showed gutted me when I watched it live and still gets me to this day. Part of the reason I like JJ and HHH is because of what they say on this show.

That means the next RAW I watch is the reveal of the HIGHER POWER. I've got stuff to say about that, and why it's the most Russoriffic (and not in the good way) move the WWF ever makes.

Caderfix

It bothers me how they choose to write Seth's character the way they do. The whole "I'm looking for the demon king. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King. Demon King." was terrible.

The writing is awful. Just make him a confident guy that thinks he's the second coming, it worked great during his return all the way to Battleground.

To give you a read on my dedication level: I left Smackdown last night after the KFC commercial taping (so surreal, Dolph just kept doing multiple takes while Miz was on the video screen on loop, before the actual "match"), when Seth came out for the dark match versus Roman Reigns. I am not staying an extra 15 minutes plus for that.

I watch Raw and Smackdown because:

1) I have a kid and I'm going to be home anyway.
2) There are more wrestlers that I enjoy watching than there are Roman Reignses
3) They have some good story threads going right now. Heath is god, Jericho and Owens are on fire with theirs, Miz is killing, Darren and Bob is surprisingly twisty and dynamic, I'm even entertained by the Ringpostitis saga.
4) You never know when they're going to do something like having Dolph dress up as Colonel Sanders.

EDIT

5)
tumblr_oc21wdRfyI1sbzhteo1_400.gif

klonere

Banned
B & V describing Luger not even getting in more than a clothesline for his hot tag (that got a huge pop) before the NWO hit the ring on this weeks 97 Nitro seems like the most apt metaphor for his WCW career.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LL is surprisingly over from his return until 1999. Like...the biggest actual face of the company at times because of Sting being in the rafters all of 1997. He eventually gets overshadowed by DDP and Goldberg.

Easily the best WCW pickup of the Monday Night Wars, gotten for cheap too.

klonere

Banned
LL is surprisingly over from his return until 1999. Like...the biggest actual face of the company at times because of Sting being in the rafters all of 1997. He eventually gets overshadowed by DDP and Goldberg.

Easily the best WCW pickup of the Monday Night Wars, gotten for cheap too.

Yeah he stayed somewhat over but man, that title win was so fucking hot and a huge moment and then he got like what, 2 weeks with the belt?

Cagey

Banned
Actually subjecting yourself to 5 hours of RAW and Smackdown.

I watched Smackdown last night in less time than a sitcom.

Watch the opener with Slater in full, fast forward until Eva Marie, then to Slater v Orton, stop for a second to see American Alpha is in a 48 man tag match and then skip, see Alexa Bliss is also in a tag and also keep it moving, but then stop for Sudden Eva, skip to the end to catch AJ and Cena closing the show.

Cut out filler, people you're not interested in watching, matches thst have no consequence and you've seen before, recaps, and commercials.

Raw might take me an hour or so most weeks.

Kaladin

Zach, I think I'm enjoying late '97 WWF more than you did. D+ for Ground Zero? That main event pushed it into at least C+ or B- territory by itself. And then you gave Bad Blood a D+? You must really not like HBK vs Taker. Sure, the undercard is abysmal and kind of the same across this period of PPVs, but the main event scene is where its at. Plus, real ass Stone Cold.

Zach

Let me look at the cards...

Edit: Those look like C's on paper. I'm guessing I didn't enjoy the execution. Also, you're right that I'm not enamored with The Undertakeeerrr. He's generally pretty boring to me.

Any show that can get Ziggler and Eva over to naysayers like myself deserves some kudos.

Let's be clear, when what's getting Eva over is her not even being there, it's actually the writers getting over. Or maybe the announcer guy.

I'm not saying it's not a good storyline, it's just that literally anyone could be doing it.

klonere

Banned
Aaah yeeeaaah! Can't wait to see them on my TV again at SummerSlam.

They're on the card, right?

Back to Wikipedia!

Edit: -_-

There's nothing wrong with a slow burn, the division doesn't even have belts yet and AA being crowned champs at the first Smackdown exclusive PPV will be a great moment. More time to build that audience reaction!

bjork

Here is the best way to consume WWE, bjork-style, day-by-day breakdown:

Monday: if there was a PPV the night before, read the report.

Tuesday: read Raw report, look for clips if something sounds like it was ok.

Wednesday: read SD report, look for Alexa clips

Thu-Sun: ignore and talk about Nash in this thread.

Keeps it simple and saves a ton of time and energy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
bjork, you should write for legitshook.com

Build Something Beautiful: The Legitshook.com Story

Top Bottom