• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

DMczaf

The main event is...the nWo coming to the ring. No Hogan, so Bret is in charge I guess. He calims that he is the only person Sting can trust. He shit talks the Wolfpac for a while and wants to know where Sting stands. The Wolfpac come out. They all brawl. WE'RE OUTTA TIME.

DUB SEE DUB!

DUB SEE DUB!

DUB SEE DUB!

DUB SEE DUB!

strobogo

Banned
Thunder is really so cheap. I mean, I thought it was bad in 2000, but 2000 Thunder was treated more as an equal to Nitro than it is 5 months into its run in 1998. It's all jobber matches, recaps, and promos. Maybe one competitive match per week. It took about 3 months before they gave up on it. It strikes me that Turner wanted another show, not the WCW side of things.

I can honestly say I don't remember seeing a good Miz match.

I've can think of plenty of good matches from guys I think suck (Cena, Orton, Triple H, etc.) or even guys who are basically treated as jokes (Santino, JTG, Jinder, Slater, etc.) But as I reflect on The Miz he has basically no stand out matches even with guys like Punk and Bryan.
The only thing I can remember him doing well is getting giant swung into the barrier by Cesaro, but that was a highlight in an otherwise below average Cesaro outing.

Kaladin

Jericho is awesome though.

iyKzQDCmE94FZ.gif

nappy

Neo Member
I can honestly say I don't remember seeing a good Miz match.

I've can think of plenty of good matches from guys I think suck (Cena, Orton, Triple H, etc.) or even guys who are basically treated as jokes (Santino, JTG, Jinder, Slater, etc.) But as I reflect on The Miz he has basically no stand out matches even with guys like Punk and Bryan.
The only thing I can remember him doing well is getting giant swung into the barrier by Cesaro, but that was a highlight in an otherwise below average Cesaro outing.

Punk vs ADR vs The Miz from TLC 2011 was quite good.

They should have turned Big E and AJ face instead of Ziggler.

clipboard017yk10.jpg

Dude needs to five-count it up and do backstage comedy with AJ on every show instead of being the evil "heavy".

The problem is the promo he cut on raw was a super serious generic big guy one

Let him show some personality

Thunder is really so cheap. I mean, I thought it was bad in 2000, but 2000 Thunder was treated more as an equal to Nitro than it is 5 months into its run in 1998. It's all jobber matches, recaps, and promos. Maybe one competitive match per week. It took about 3 months before they gave up on it. It strikes me that Turner wanted another show, not the WCW side of things.

In his seminal work CONTROVERSY CREATES CA$H, Bischoff cites Turner demanding another two hours of WCW every week as the beginning of the end for their success. He was hugely against it from the start. Which is interesting considering how few resources it must have eaten up, they obviously put very little effort into it every week.

strobogo

Banned
That makes a ton of sense. It just feels like no one wants to do it and the absolute minimal effort is put into it. The expansion to 3 hours for Nitro feels like the same thing. That extra hour adds nothing. It doesn't even seem like there are any extra matches or longer matches. It's just more time for rambling promos and a few extra squashes.

9 times out of 10 Colt's podcast is really good. Every now and then there is a guest who is either too full of himself to enjoy or I just don't care for at all.

Truth Martini and Domino (I think it was him, might have been Deuce) were fantastic. Highly recommend everyone to listen to those.

Kaladin

It begins. (SD spoiler)

Big Show, Mark Henry and Rob Van Dam defeat The Shield after KO Punch and Five Star Frog Splash.

Typical booking of
The Shield. At least this time it's not to some jobbers that would be beneath them.....but what happened to the cohesive unit that couldn't be defeated by a random grouping of main event stars?

Interesting as well because it always seemed to me like the Attitude Era started to run out of steam when Smackdown started. Pre-brand split it seemed to cheapen each show instead of make the whole thing better. Maybe it's just my imagination, though.

strobogo

Banned
I would agree with that. It's a lot harder to string a feud out when you have to have angles on two shows a week instead of one. But even before the brand split, there were definite Raw and Smackdown guys. Thunder wasn't like that. It was more of a "fuck, just throw in 20 minutes of This Week in WCW Motorsports and send one of the Beverly Brothers out there!" kind of deal.

Kaladin

I love how WWE gets their D shows filmed with the time they used to have for their undercard dark matches. It makes it feel like you're getting added value (both on the live end and on tv seeing more matches) but really they're just putting on the same matches they would have either way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How are you guys coping with the drought after the G1 monsoon? What are you watching to get your fix of quality wrassles?

Penguin

WWE officials are looking to get SmackDown on par with RAW in hopes of getting a good deal from SyFy next month when the current TV contract expires. One WWE source says they wouldn't be surprised if SmackDown ends up going to three hours.

The problem with Smackdown was... there wasn't enough SmackDown! :(

Fix the show, don't make it longer.

Also don't make it a test run for Raw!

In brighter news, E! has extended Total Divas season 1 to 14 episodes!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would agree with that. It's a lot harder to string a feud out when you have to have angles on two shows a week instead of one. But even before the brand split, there were definite Raw and Smackdown guys. Thunder wasn't like that. It was more of a "fuck, just throw in 20 minutes of This Week in WCW Motorsports and send one of the Beverly Brothers out there!" kind of deal.

It was basically a two hour Shotgun Saturday Night. WCW Saturday Night usually had better matches in 1998.

Top Bottom