• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

jmdajr

former WWE writer Alex Greenfield on Vince McMahon wanting to censor Christian's face on television:

"Right before I started, there was a big show, I think it might have been in Toronto. Christian was just so completely over, and everybody thought he was going to get a push at, I think it was the World Heavyweight Championship at that point. We were on the plane one time shortly after I started, and Vince was just like “God damn, I just don’t like his face. His face really bothers me." I was like, “He’s ugly, Vince?” “No, it’s not that he’s ugly, it’s just, I don’t know, it’s ratty! You know what we should do? That Kennedy gimmick.” And we’re all like, “What?” Some see-on of the Kennedy fortune I guess got arrested for rape in the 1990s at some point. When the woman who was accusing him was on the stand, all of the networks put a blue dot over her face. Vince was like, “God damn, you know what we should do? We should put a blue dot over his face whenever he comes out.” It was the flight to Sheffield, England, also the flight where the Spirit Squad idea was invented. This was a whole flight of bad ideas."

strobogo

Banned
So was Rey for an hour. And Miz. And Dolph with 0 defenses. And every ADR reign. And The Rock. And both Christian WHC runs.

former WWE writer Alex Greenfield on Vince McMahon wanting to censor Christian's face on television:

Fucking lol. Poor Sharky.

dream

Khali was champion once.

Yeeeeeeah...I know...but at least that was a joke, and Khali is kind of distinct. Chris Sabin just looks like an indie kid, works like an indie kid, and talks like an indie kid, and him being a world champion just doesn't work for me. He just doesn't carry himself like a star on any level.

That's actually fucking hilarious and would have been great.

Sometimes I would really like to see a version of the WWE that is just a straight up unfiltered version of what Vince likes. I'm imagining a weird David Lynchian fever dream, featuring giant steroid monsters and super weird racist caricatures alongside horror movie monsters and just straight up vivid sex scenes.

Kaladin

Lucky :( I haven't been day drunk much at all this summer. 12-day Vacation coming up on Tuesday though. New Orleans and a cruise.

I'm going to a music festival labor day weekend....camping too so I'm not driving. I just have to be able to stumble to my campsite. So I'll be drunk for 3.5 days straight.

strobogo

Banned
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere.

Oddly enough, the drink I'm drinking right now says 5 O'Clock Cocktails on the can. I've had 5 Bud Light Lime Strawberritas/Limearitas and I'm on a Paradise Punch 16 ouncer right now. These things are dangerous. All 8% alcohol, but don't taste like alcohol at all.

I'm also listening to various Eurythmics/NIN songs.

Wow, goddamn, watching a pre-Rainmaker Okada match and he nearly got murdered by Takashi Sugiura's vertical release back-bodydrop;

ibpL0qkAkI3UaH.gif

Wasn't a bad match though, Okada got to show some fire against the far tougher Sugiura and he hit that sweet-ass dropkick he's become known for lately. Sugiura eventually finished the job with a huge backdrop driver.

I'm a little late, but goddamn.

strobogo

Banned
I can't get drunk on my own, I don't know why. I just start to feel bad at what I'm doing and then stop.

Also, someone mentioned the title of one of my favourite albums, so yeah;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB04m4Xebek

The true successor to Appetite for Destruction

I only get drunk on my own. Also, lol. The other Snakepit album was probably better. Snakepit in general was pretty iffy. It's so...generic. If you combined both Snakepit albums, you'd have something pretty great, though. Miles does those songs great live. Serial Killer is an awesome song.

Sometimes I would really like to see a version of the WWE that is just a straight up unfiltered version of what Vince likes. I'm imagining a weird David Lynchian fever dream, featuring giant steroid monsters and super weird racist caricatures alongside horror movie monsters and just straight up vivid sex scenes.

Why do you think he let Vince Russo have unprecedented control over his product from 1997-1999? Russo's insanity was pretty much exactly in line with McMahon's, except McMahon had the actual wrestling accumen to make Russo's insanity work within a wrestling context (as best he could). Not having that context is what made Russo fail in WCW.

I only get drunk on my own. Also, lol. The other Snakepit album was probably better. Snakepit in general was pretty iffy. It's so...generic. If you combined both Snakepit albums, you'd have something pretty great, though. Miles does those songs great live. Serial Killer is an awesome song.

Oh, I'm well aware of how underrated/despised the album is among GnR fans, but fuck it, I love it. I could not get on with the 2nd Snakepit album at all though, something about the new dude's voice - Eric Dover was perfect for that style and, yeah, it was pretty generic, but I found it to be a very well done album on the whole. I've got a playlist of GnR's best on my iPod and there's a good six or seven songs from 5 O'Clock on there.

Miles is a great singer. I saw Slash in 2011 and they played a couple of Snakepit songs, neither from 5 O'Clock though, and he did a great job. Saw GnR for the first and last time (unless the original line-up ever reforms) in 2001 and it was pretty great too. Axl was very much on point, but the guy from Nine Inch Nails was a disgrace.

strobogo

Banned
I didn't mean to come off as hating Snakepit or anything. I think if you took the best songs off both albums, THAT would be the successor to AFD. But both albums individually are pretty iffy. Together they would be a really great album.

Robin was...Robin. I loved what he did on Chinese, but his live playing of the classics was questionable from time to time. I think he has a lot more feel and emotion to his playing the DJ Ashba has, even if Ashba is better at hitting all the notes correctly. I miss Robin in GNR. I wish he was still around.

It's interesting you thought Axl sounded on point in 2001. That's what everyone said who saw them live in the handful of 2001 shows and the 2002 mini tour, but the recordings say otherwise. That's part of why I was so happy that the bootleg of the Indy show sounded just like what I heard live. Did you see them in Vegas?

I missed Slash and Myles when then came through Indy. Hopefully they'll come back in the next year or so. I really liked the Slash + Myles and the Conspirators album.

strobogo

Banned
Highly recommend. It's GREAT. And fucking crazy. I liked it a lot more than Slash's book. It felt like it was Duff through and through, where as I have a hard time believing that Slash remembers as much as he remembers in the book. Although that isn't to say that Slash's book wasn't good, too. But Duff's way great and about much more than just GNR. It was about life and family and drugs and I found it a lot more interesting than Slash's book, which was mostly just about drugs and music. Duff's book felt more personal. Duff is a better writer, too, since he's been doing columns for years in Seattle.

Definitely pick that book up or torrent it or whatever. It's really good. I hope someday Axl releases a book. Much like 100% unfiltered Vince, I don't think the world is ready for the crazy of a 100% unfiltered Axl Rose book. Have you read his chats he did with GNR message boards around the time Chinese Democracy came out? He's one wordy motherfucker, and most of it makes no sense.

Duff's book also ends right around the time that he completely coincidentally was on the same floor in the same hotel as Axl in 2010 and they hung out for the first time in a decade and then Duff played with GNR for the first time since 1993 shortly thereafter. It's a really great book for fans of classic rock/GNR in general, but it's about way more than just that.

jmdajr

I know Ozzy's book wasn't written by him but it's incredibly entertaining either way.
I was literally in tears reading some of the stuff. Just insane.

Kaladin

You know who's book I want to read after reading all the excerpted stories from it? Al Jourgensen. I know it's probably a bunch of bullshit, but it will be entertaining bullshit.

KissVibes

Banned

WHAT
THE
FUCK
IS
THIS
BULLSHIT

tumblr_mqbeql7Nmy1rsglg4o1_1280.jpg

PERFECT SPECIMEN OF HANDSOMENESS IN WRESTLING.

FUCK YOU OLD MAN. SORRY HE ISN'T SOME DUMB NEANDERTHAL LOOKING FUCK LIKE NATHAN JONES OR THE GREAT FOOT FACE. GODDAMN I HATE YOU VINCE. I HOPE YOU FALL DOWN SOME STAIRS AND YOUR FALL COULD'VE BEEN BRACED BY CHRISTIAN SHIRTS BUT YOU REFUSE TO MAKE MORE OF THEM. SO YOU GET HURT.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They should have Nathan Jones be the new The Mountain since Conan Stevens isn't coming back and Ian Whyte doesn't quite fill his shoes well.

strobogo

Banned
I know Ozzy's book wasn't written by him but it's incredibly entertaining either way.
I was literally in tears reading some of the stuff. Just insane.

Well, definitely read Duff's book. I don't know how much the opinion of a guy who watches a bunch of late stage WCW is, but as a huge GNR fan, I can tell you that Duff's book is excellent and it probably is like 30% GNR total. His book is really about his struggles with drugs and his family life.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I remember when he showed up on TNA. "The Human Chicken" I thought. That's as much care I ever gave until today.

Just watching NXT and I legit marked for the return of the five count

Is it me or does Enzo Amore somehow look like a different guy each week lol

I honestly don't fully understand or get the Enzo Amore gimmick and style, but for some reason I love the "S A W F T... SOOOOFT" every time it happens. If they ever need a replacement to the 3MB for jobbers, I hope it's him. The sawft is the only part that is good, and the rest of the time I enjoy seeing him lose.

Bourne flies. That's all he does.

No charisma, no looks and a risk for welness violations.

He'll never get pushed again in WWE, don't even count on it.

Evan Bourne is the living embodiment of the WWE games create a wrestler. Just randomly messing with the settings, it's hard not to accidentally create him.

I've also been thinking of making some 'documentary' series that would never be made otherwise. Feel free to chime in with your suggestions:

Got any others?

The Many Faces Of Al Snow: The Ninja, The Magician, And More!

I found it. http://youtu.be/LOqunCMe_No

jmdajr

Well, definitely read Duff's book. I don't know how much the opinion of a guy who watches a bunch of late stage WCW is, but as a huge GNR fan, I can tell you that Duff's book is excellent and it probably is like 30% GNR total. His book is really about his struggles with drugs and his family life.

Cool man. I'll add it to my wish list!

BFIB

When Vince does decide to call it quits and retire, he should get 6 months, and everything that is current goes on hold.

He gets to do whatever he wants, all unfiltered. It would be incredible.

Robin was...Robin. I loved what he did on Chinese, but his live playing of the classics was questionable from time to time.

That was pretty much the issue, I'm sure he ad-libbed more than one solo and it didn't go down too well.

strobogo said:
It's interesting you thought Axl sounded on point in 2001. That's what everyone said who saw them live in the handful of 2001 shows and the 2002 mini tour, but the recordings say otherwise. That's part of why I was so happy that the bootleg of the Indy show sounded just like what I heard live. Did you see them in Vegas?

Nah, London, and it was 2002, not 2001 - seems the whole show's up as a bootleg! Gonna rewatch it later and see if it holds up to my memories;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5x4tnVN0g

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What a start of a reign it was too. http://youtu.be/9yrLm-r_hGI

I was so glad when they just gave up, Vince lost all interest, and it became a proto-NXT (Current) and letting Golddust have good matches against younger talent.

Oh and looks like Darren Young is already getting that support as a public media figure.
http://youtu.be/AITIrwySC9I
No surprise since it was WWE that contacted TMZ that they would get a story, but I wonder how far they will take it in and out of the ring.

XenoRaven

Christian looked cool at the start of his run and then he went through this weird puffy-faced phase for awhile. I think it was because of steroids. He looks fine now though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I barely turned in when Umaga/Lashley was around. That clip though is hilarious.

Wait, Lashley had the Dominator as his finisher???

I want to start watching some NJPW from like 2000 and beyond. I never really got into it until recently. Any suggestions on shows that I need to watch?

Should I just go through this playlist and then find more?

I'm more familiar with 80's & 90's New Japan than I am with post-2000 stuff, so I'm not sure on which full shows to check out - the January 4th shows are always a good bet, though, plus the big yearly events; Dominion, Destruction, Super Jr's, G1, etc. You'll probably have more luck finding individual matches though. Check out Ditch's site for a ton of stuff (don't go crazy, though, he's quick to ban people who download too much)

I'm more familiar with 80's & 90's New Japan than I am with post-2000 stuff, so I'm not sure on which full shows to check out - the January 4th shows are always a good bet, though, plus the big yearly events; Dominion, Destruction, Super Jr's, G1, etc. You'll probably have more luck finding individual matches though. Check out Ditch's site for a ton of stuff (don't go crazy, though, he's quick to ban people who download too much)

holy shit, this is amazing.

Thank you. I know exactly what I am doing in my free time.

With Total Divas being such a success their next show should really be reality show centered on Vince McMahon. Maybe break him and Linda up beforehand and make it a dating show. I would watch that live daily if they could produce it.

Is G1 Climax 23 a good point to start watching NJPW? Shit looks so good.

Yeah, it's a good place to jump in - you'll get a feel for the top players in the promotion and there aren't really too many storylines you need to be familiar with. I'd also recommend Invasion Attack and Wrestle Kingdom VII from this year, both were amazing shows.

Top Bottom