• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Aiii

So not worth it
I'll buy it, maybe.

It helps that the PS4 is coming out so I might not want to get a PS3 game anymore, unless it's very very good. So, I'm hoping for that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they were mainly complaining about how it barely resembles the rest of the series in a variety of ways (the tablet stuff coming behind that as the secondary complaint) but then again I don't know shit about the series really.

That's something that's always bugged me about 'fans' - their idea of what a franchise is. They don't get that kind of choice. They don't get to say what IS the actual feel. The owners and creators of it are telling you what it is. Like DmC vs DMC4, etc - "That's not Devil May Cry!" yes it is. And you don't like how it looks or plays. It IS Devil May Cry whether you like it or not.

Kaladin

Technically we've been waiting for a new generation WWE engine since 2001.

Well, I doubt 2k will keep Yukes around after this game. They probably only got to work on 2k14 because it was already underway. If 2k puts their own team on the game, they'll probably start from scratch.

DMczaf

Well, I doubt 2k will keep Yukes around after this game. They probably only got to work on 2k14 because it was already underway. If 2k puts their own team on the game, they'll probably start from scratch.

What if they put the now taskless MLB2K team on WWE?

Another Decade of Despair!

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, WWE wanted a game this year and they can't make a engine and a game in just over half a year, so they let Yukes make this one. I reckon they're already working on the PS4/Xbone engine internally for the next game.

Kaladin

The buyrate for WrestleMania 29 was 1,039,000 buys, down from last year's 1,217,000 buys.

The power of The Rock everyone!

jmdajr

QUICK! MORE PART TIMERS!

BRING OUT WARRIOR, PUT FLAIR IN THE RING, WHAT IS ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER DOING?

Lol.

For real though. I'd like to see Kurt Angel back. Maybe even Meth Hardy.
Don't finish those careers on a low note.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
G1 spoils talk:

Amazing. Putting that piece of shit Devitt over Okada like that. I know Okada's not going to win but DAMN. And Anderson over Nakamura? Hot dicks, amazing. I mean, I have a lot of faith Anderson will go very far, maybe even win the whole goddamn thing, but right out of the gate on Nakamura? That's amazing.

Kurt is the only TNA dood I'd like to see come back.

In general I'd like Kendrick, MVP, Harry Smith, Gallows, and maaaaaybe Shelton Benjamin to come back.

That's something that's always bugged me about 'fans' - their idea of what a franchise is. They don't get that kind of choice. They don't get to say what IS the actual feel. The owners and creators of it are telling you what it is. Like DmC vs DMC4, etc - "That's not Devil May Cry!" yes it is. And you don't like how it looks or plays. It IS Devil May Cry whether you like it or not.

When I first read this I was like "sorry sunflower, I disagree" but then I stopped and thought for a moment and I get where you're coming from to a degree. I'm reminded of Castlevania Lords of Shadow and how to some "it's not Castlevania!" because of reasons usually related to not following the format of the Metroidvania titles.
In turn those types of CV titles also aren't CV to some because it's not linear challenging action platforming. You see there's a bit of an issue here, not liking something is fine and that includes if you don't like how different a game is to its predecessors but yeah you don't get to decide what the series is defined as.

A series can be take many forms when it comes down to it, how well they are actually received by the fans seems to be the main point of division coming to think of it.
Like for example on the other side of the coin you've got games like Super Mario Bros 2, it's technically not a Mario game, it's another NES platformer reskinned for international release yet it's well received enough that people don't really bother to call into question its status as a legit Mario game or anything. Hoo boy I could cite examples all day long both considered good and bad but yeah, it's not really as simple as "this game isn't really *insert series here*"

I think it's understandable for people to be disappointed or dubious about a franchise steering off into another style whether it's a tone or gameplay shift and voice their concerns but maybe they should wait until there's more info or until they've played it before succumbing to mass hysteria, outside of certain special cases.

But enough of that, Wrestling yeah, So Barrett's basically a midcard heel jobber now judging by the last few weeks of tv, I do not like this turn of events.

jmdajr

You would think DmC was somehow turned in to a first person shooter they way some people reacted to it.

I have no doubt tons of people didn't even give that game a chance because they made up their mind to hate it first and foremost.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When I first read this I was like "sorry sunflower, I disagree" but then I stopped and thought for a moment and I get where you're coming from to a degree. I'm reminded of Castlevania Lords of Shadow and how to some "it's not Castlevania!" because of reasons usually related to not following the format of the Metroidvania titles.
In turn those types of CV titles also aren't CV to some because it's not linear challenging action platforming. You see there's a bit of an issue here, not liking something is fine and that includes if you don't like how different a game is to its predecessors but yeah you don't get to decide what the series is defined as.

A series can be take many forms when it comes down to it, how well they are actually received by the fans seems to be the main point of division coming to think of it.
Like for example on the other side of the coin you've got games like Super Mario Bros 2, it's technically not a Mario game, it's another NES platformer reskinned for international release yet it's well received enough that people don't really bother to call into question its status as a legit Mario game or anything. Hoo boy I could cite examples all day long both considered good and bad but yeah, it's not really as simple as "this game isn't really *insert series here*"

I think it's understandable for people to be disappointed or dubious about a franchise steering off into another style whether it's a tone or gameplay shift and voice their concerns but maybe they should wait until there's more info or until they've played it before succumbing to mass hysteria, outside of certain special cases.

Yeah. It took me a while to get onto that wavelength and realize, in SMB2's case (since it's a really good example) that yeah, I might not feel like it's a Mario game, and it's not a Mario game originally, but Nintendo says it is a Mario game so it IS a Mario game. That is what a Mario game is.

And of course, what you said about people to try it first...well this is the internet, so..you know how that works.

The bottom line is basically "you don't get to say this isn't _____ franchise" because you're not in charge, no matter how much you think you love the series and understand it - it's not yours to declare that about.

Owl, I like you.

You would think DmC was somehow turned in to a first person shooter they way some people reacted to it.

I have no doubt tons of people didn't even give that game a chance because they made up their made to hate it first and foremost.

Another thing is the existence of DmC doesn't invalidate previous DMC games from being good. You can still be a fan of those games. It doesn't dirty the previous ones, but people think it does. It doesn't. DMC4's combat didn't suddenly get worse because DmC's is very different.

If you're a true fan, and ACTUALLY enjoy the series, you'll take the extra effort to play it on whatever platform it exists for.

That's a retarded way of thinking about things. I don't want to play a browser or iPhone based MGS or Bionic Commando game. If that would happen, I wouldn't go out of my way to upgrade my iOS device just to play them, even though I'd sell my left nut in order to buy one of their Limited Editions if they were on a console.

Edit: Same thing with DmC, I absolutely love 1, 3, and 4, but the devs don't give a shit about making a proper title in the series, so why should I care?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's a retarded way of thinking about things. I don't want to play a browser or iPhone based MGS or Bionic Commando game. If that would happen, I wouldn't go out of my way to upgrade my iOS device just to play them, even though I'd sell my left nut in order to buy one of their Limited Editions if they were on a console.

Edit: Same thing with DmC, I absolutely love 1, 2, and 4, but the devs don't give a shit about making a proper title in the series, so why should I care?

?! You loved 2? Whoa. The only thing I liked about that was the outfit...and the tease that the villain was voiced by Burt Reynolds.

I guess for you a good question is do you think you're still a huge fan of the series, even though the developers and creators are telling you "this is how it's changing"? Or are you a fan of specific games at this point?

jmdajr

Sometimes I think fans hate games for simply not being Japanese. I'm sure some are not that shallow, but I have no doubt these type of folks exist as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I think fans hate games for simply not being Japanese. I'm sure some are not that shallow, but I have no doubt these type of folks exist as well.

the whole 'glorious nippon' thing kinda dropped the ball this gen. Japan doesn't produce all the cool shit anymore and it's no longer fresh and new. for instance ni no kuni is some of the most boring shit to me now, but 15 years ago it'd be wicked.

?! You loved 2? Whoa. The only thing I liked about that was the outfit...and the tease that the villain was voiced by Burt Reynolds.

I guess for you a good question is do you think you're still a huge fan of the series, even though the developers and creators are telling you "this is how it's changing"? Or are you a fan of specific games at this point?

I meant 3 lol, nine missions of 2 were enough to give me terminal brain cancer. Stupid typo.

I'll buy a DMC5 if it is made by the old devs, or at the very least set in the old universe with the same attention to combat.

jmdajr

the whole 'glorious nippon' thing kinda dropped the ball this gen. Japan doesn't produce all the cool shit anymore and it's no longer fresh and new. for instance ni no kuni is some of the most boring shit to me now, but 15 years ago it'd be wicked.

It sure as heck isn't like the PS1 era that's for sure.

For me that doesn't apply, I never even knew that Bionic Commando even existed before the Swedish GRIN took over, and I fucking loved both BCR and BC '09.

Although I'll admit, lots of people seem to have discredited BC '09 based on that sadly :(

KissVibes

Banned

IF 2k is going to get a team to do the game then Yukes will be developing WWE2k15 too probably. I think 2k sticks with Yukes and maybe even buys them outright but if they don't, I pray to Christian that they get some of the guys that worked on WWE All Stars and WWE Brawl.

Those guys had the right mindset: FUN GAMES.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Summerslam tears of rage are going to be oh so fucking delicious.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2013/7...an-and-why-every-city-can-be-a-wrestling-city

The Farticle said:
Fuck the vaunted 18-49 male demographic and the drooping Nielsen ratings. The newest and most efficient barometer for gauging whether WWE is doing something positive is by invoking a reaction out of those in attendance. Whether the feedback comes in the form of shrieks from those without Adams apples or witty chants based on things seen on REDDIT by grown men, the important thing is they aren't sitting on their hands as they do during a Drew McIntyre entrance.

I have seen a recent surge in acknowledgment of live crowds by wrestling writers and those with a vocal opinion. Many are quick to point out a "wrestling city" or a hot crowd. On the other side of the coin, those same writers will jump all over a city for "killing a segment."

Newsflash: this shit does not matter.

Smarks don't run the wrestling world; Vince McMahon does. He is well aware of what will create a reaction and come SummerSlam look for him to have his hand in what occurs with Daniel Bryan and John Cena. Would the crowd reaction matter if something similar to WrestleMania 17 and Stone Cold's heel turn occurred?

Aside from how hilarious this type of talk even is, the town WWE has rolled into for the event matters about as much as TNA ever leaving the Impact Zone. Patrons of these events will react to good wrestling, engrossing storylines and by not insulting their intelligence every week. There are only so many count-out victories one can handle a week before a blow-off match at a pay-per-view.

These so called wrestling towns (Chicago, Philadelphia, most recently New York) have a rich history within the sport and those who have attended events in years past are able to look back fondly upon landmark events as a reason to keep buying tickets and making 3:16 signs.

The same cannot be said about a place similar to where I live: Los Angeles.

Sure we have been home to the past five SummerSlams. There have also been some big time main events. But since WrestleMania 2000 (which actually took place in Anaheim, which likes to still call itself L.A.) there hasn't been much to latch onto and expect from a live event.

These types of moments are saved for known wrestling cities. Middle of the (Victory) road style pay-per-views and mediocre results are given to the stale, un-knowledgeable, comped ticket venues similar to the Staples Center. A great deal of the lack of reaction can be placed on just how huge the Staples Center actually is. The arena isn't a prime example of sound retention and I'm positive WWE cares much less about how something sounds in comparison to maximizing butts in seats.

All this can be changed at SummerSlam by something big happening. No, not a Money in the Bank briefcase cash in, or a returning nWo member with a Just For Men contract. I'm talking about a fresh act, in this case Daniel Bryan, winning cleanly over the most prolific wrestler of the last 10 years, John Cena.

A crowning moment for not only Daniel Bryan, but for a fan base who has been pandered to far too often by paying homage to our strong Hispanic population with multiple Rey Mysterio returns and in last years edition, an underwhelming Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar match.

I can see the e-mails now.

A reader from Arkansas Pine Bluff writing and telling me how I should be ashamed of myself for bitching. "We are lucky if we even get a "WrestleMania World Tour" live event in our parts every couple years."

I am campaigning for something which will help to leave every stop on a WWE live tour packing the decibel punch the "wrestling cities" do. Not in the style of played out "What" chants or bullies chanting names of retired or deceased wrestlers. But in reacting to a champion the so called "Universe" can get behind.

WWE has done a great job of moving away from relying on shock value style instances to create a pop and focused on the basics of building up believable superstars the average fan can get behind and, as asinine as it may sound, in some cases even relate to.

Daniel Bryan was supposed to have a moment at SummerSlam previously. But as much as I may of enjoyed his unannounced re-emergence at the 2010 edition of the show, no one knew who he was. Much has changed since the forgettable return, including the burial of Wade Barrett and the short lived Nexus stable (OR WAS IT THE CORRE?) which was the forefront of the pay-per-view.

After what has been one of the hottest runs in the company since Jeff Hardy's meteoric rise in 2009, the stage is set for a defining moment featuring Bryan at the conclusion of SummerSlam complete with confetti, fireworks and a top turnbuckle pose with the title.

As cliche and predictable as this scenario seems, it is exactly what should occur and end up being the defining moment in Daniel Bryan's WWE career to this point.

Whether those in attendance cheer or boo doesn't matter (even though Cena will get booed out of the building); what does is the company backing Bryan as an elite wrestler. Many are calling for a Randy Orton cash-in, others wonder what the Wyatt's have in store. The amount of moving parts makes for one of the more intriguing main events in recent history.

I will be in attendance, refusing to Fandango, cheering for people I shouldn't be, and awaiting the worst. You learn to take the good with the bad and forget the ugly. As far as WWE goes in Los Angeles, I hope it's a case of them doing what is right.

The tears will be amazing.

jmdajr

2013-07-31-total-divas.jpg

The Summerslam tears of rage are going to be oh so fucking delicious.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2013/7...an-and-why-every-city-can-be-a-wrestling-city

The tears will be amazing.

Do you really think Bryan will lose? I could see an Orton cash-in, as I doubt Bryan leaves cleanly w/ the belt, but I don't see them putting Cena over the hottest property since Punk - and one they seem to actually LIKE, instead of simply feeling impelled to push because of crowd reaction.

jred2k

I hope SummerSlam runs long so they have to cut the main event. That'll make for an excellent season finale of Total Divas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bryan will win clean and make Cena tap.

BELIEVE.

Drinkin' yours first.

Also I've been working on replaying a bunch of games I really loved in this console generation to see how they all hold up still, as I'm going to be doing a "Games of This Generation" show about it. Right now here's my short list of games I loved that I need to revisit:

Alan Wake
Witcher 2
Bioshock
Alpha Protocol
Halo 3 (no chance this one holds up, I'm SURE)
Gears of War 1
Prey
Condemned
Crackdown
Viva Pinata
Just Cause 2
Dead Rising
Far Cry 2
Omega Five
Fable 2
The Club
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bulletstorm
Kane and Lynch 2
Limbo
Dragon Age: Origins
Left 4 Dead
Resident Evil 5
Asura's Wrath

I need to trim the list significantly because even in a year I couldn't re-finish those games, but they're all games I -really- loved that I need to look at again.

jmdajr

During today's WWE Conference call, Vince McMahon noted that WWE will be releasing a John Cena clothing line at K-Mart this fall.

jred2k

Sunny, you can probably cut Far Cry 2 out of there right now, that game was terrible. I don't think Condemned has a good chance of holding up either. Looking at that list, though, its amazing how many series got worse in their sequels. Gears, Crackdown, Condemned, Fable 2, Dragon Age, RE5 all better than the games that came after them.

During today's WWE Conference call, Vince McMahon noted that WWE will be releasing a John Cena clothing line at K-Mart this fall.

“The Never Give Up by John Cena apparel line is a lifestyle brand that appeals to those who not only like his style, but are drawn to the positive message he offers,” said Cheryl Olinger, VP/GMM of Kid’s Apparel, Kmart. “Kmart will have the exclusive opportunity to provide merchandise previously available only at WWE events. We believe the line will resonate with many of our current, younger customers while allowing us to reach a segment of John's fan base that may not have shopped at Kmart before.”

They've also renewed their sponsorship deal with Fruity Pebbles. The Reign of Cena ain't ending anytime soon.

I'm still waiting for the Bo Dallas line. Don't keep me waiting, Vince.
There's actually a big box of Bo shirts at the bottom of your local river, you should go searching for them.

Sokantish

Drinkin' yours first.

Also I've been working on replaying a bunch of games I really loved in this console generation to see how they all hold up still, as I'm going to be doing a "Games of This Generation" show about it. Right now here's my short list of games I loved that I need to revisit:

Alan Wake
Witcher 2
Bioshock
Alpha Protocol
Halo 3 (no chance this one holds up, I'm SURE)
Gears of War 1
Prey
Condemned
Crackdown
Viva Pinata
Just Cause 2
Dead Rising
Far Cry 2
Omega Five
Fable 2
The Club
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bulletstorm
Kane and Lynch 2
Limbo
Dragon Age: Origins
Left 4 Dead
Resident Evil 5
Asura's Wrath

I need to trim the list significantly because even in a year I couldn't re-finish those games, but they're all games I -really- loved that I need to look at again.

it's weird that I don't see GOTG Reccettear on that list... also Mass Effect 1-3 take up all of my fave five spots

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny, you can probably cut Far Cry 2 out of there right now, that game was terrible. I don't think Condemned has a good chance of holding up either. Looking at that list, though, its amazing how many series got worse in their sequels. Gears, Crackdown, Condemned, Fable 2, Dragon Age, RE5 all better than the games that came after them.

Ehhhhhhhhh I dunnoooooooooo~

FC2 was supremely dope on release. A different kind of shooter. I loved it, it absorbed me so much. Dunno if it still can.

Condemned was absolutely fucking phenomenal - the most terrifying game I've ever played. I have a fear of poor people though and those hobos had me running to the hills. But those mannequins...

I can say Gears 3 is hands down the best, but 1 was doing something different then. I need to revisit.

it's weird that I don't see GOTG Reccettear on that list... also Mass Effect 1-3 take up all of my fave five spots

Recettear is uguu shit. ME1-3 I recently replayed so I am notttt ready to dive back into those yet. ME1 was one of my favorite games ever though, even though ME2 was better and held a hellacious amount of promise for 3.

Top Bottom