• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Aiii

So not worth it
-Dolph is FINALLY out of this AJ storyline...I hope? He seems to be floundering.

It think it's time for us all to realize Dolph isn't good enough to be a top guy.

He's fun in the ring. He bumps like hell, but he's neither the best wrestler in the company (not even top 5 imo) and he's definitely a lower midcarder as far as mic work goes.

How come after all this time on GAF, Heavy is still not able to tell the difference between what's happening in storyline and what's ACTUALLY happening.

I feel that it's unappreciated how well Brock sold that GTS.

Possibly one of the best sells of that move I've ever seen.

Yeah, we need a gif of that. Brock sold that brilliantly.

BRYAN YE!!!!!

3igx6Ty.gif

swagamura <3

boma ye , busaiku knee , whatever.

<3

krae_man

Bryan beating Cena clean for the title shows they're truly behind him. And it was absolutely clean, not even a "his arm was hurt to that's why he lost" deal, Bryan knocked him the fuck out and pinned him.

How many people have gotten to beat Cena clean as a whistle?

The at least 10 people I posted in the other thread.

Don't try claiming nobody has done it in this one.

tm24

So is August the best month for wrestling ever? We got SummerSlam, The G1 and PWG had Ten and BOLA later. SO much good stuff

Novid

Banned
I don't know where I would put Lesnar/Punk - Brian/Cena. The three times Cena lost the major matches (RVD, Punk, Brian) he pulls out all of the stops. The way Brian won though was NEW though for WWE standards. I want to make it a 5 star but god help me a 4 and 3/4 stars would put it one of the best matches in a long time and MOTYC.

Lesnar/Punk - Call it 5 stars. EASY. Match of the year. One of Lesnar's best.

Ithil

The at least 10 people I posted in the other thread.

Don't try claiming nobody has done it in this one.

"Since Cena won his first WWE title? HHH(Multiple times), Great Khali, HBK, JBL, Randy Orton(Multiple times), Batista, Sheamus, The Rock, Edge, I can go on. "

That's odd. I could have sworn all but Khali and Sheamus are/were main event champions. What's your point here?

The swerve is that we all knew that a swerve was coming and the swerve shown was the swerve that was predicted instead of them trying to swerve us with something else.

BERRIED~

So is August the best month for wrestling ever? We got SummerSlam, The G1 and PWG had Ten and BOLA later. SO much good stuff

so good.

SO GOOD.

Like I said before, wrestling now is better than it has ever been. With the amount of indys, the ease of watching indy/WWE/TNA/Puro, the options, there is something for everyone.

krae_man

"Since Cena won his first WWE title? HHH(Multiple times), Great Khali, HBK, JBL, Randy Orton(Multiple times), Batista, Sheamus, The Rock, Edge, I can go on. "

That's odd. I could have sworn all but Khali and Sheamus are/were main event champions. What's your point here?

What does that have to do with anything?

MOTYC

1) Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata - NJPW G1, Night 4
2) Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - NJPW Invasion Attack
3) Cena vs Daniel Bryan - WWE SummerSlam
4) Punk vs Brock Lesnar - WWE SummerSlam
5) Sami Callahan vs Drake Younger - PWG All Star Weekend 9

Novid

Banned
MOTYC

And each company had a bunch of three stars leading up to these 4 and 5 star matches.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bryan beating Cena clean for the title shows they're truly behind him. And it was absolutely clean, not even a "his arm was hurt to that's why he lost" deal, Bryan knocked him the fuck out and pinned him.

How many people have gotten to beat Cena clean as a whistle?

This deserves another quote, I didn't realise this but it makes perfect sense.

strobogo

Banned
I don't know where I would put Lesnar/Punk - Brian/Cena. The three times Cena lost the major matches (RVD, Punk, Brian) he pulls out all of the stops. The way Brian won though was NEW though for WWE standards. I want to make it a 5 star but god help me a 4 and 3/4 stars would put it one of the best matches in a long time and MOTYC.

Lesnar/Punk - Call it 5 stars. EASY. Match of the year. One of Lesnar's best.

I'd definitely give Dragon/Cena 5 stars. I think it was neck and neck with Bork/Punk, which blew me away. I really didn't think it was going to be possible to match that fucking war, but they did. I would say it was Cena's best match ever, with only the MITB and SS11 matches with Punk being as close.

Alucard

Banned
I think I'm gonna buy this ppv on Blu-ray. It was that good. I was entertained and enthralled from front to back. There was something to like about every single match.

MOTYC

I'd put Nakamura/Ibushi from G1 Day 4 in the #2 spot and push everything down. I really really enjoy how Nakamura devolves towards the end, and Ibushi plays up the scrappy junior heavyweight role.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the most underrated part of Cena's reign at the top is that all these years of boring ass matches at every house show and PPV and yet he can still go half an hour with some of the best technical wrestlers in the world and look at worst only a half step behind them without getting blown up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes he is.

You're probably watching the one they made after Orton was kicked out.

That makes a lot more sense as I swore I remember him being in it. I didn't really watch during that period, only played the GCN and PS2 games from time to time.

strobogo

Banned
I think the most underrated part of Cena's reign at the top is that all these years of boring ass matches at every house show and PPV and yet he can still go half an hour with some of the best technical wrestlers in the world and look at worst only a half step behind them without getting blown up.

I've never seen Cena blown up and he usually looks like he's barely broken a sweat, even after long and intense matches. Super drunk Flair said that Cena doesn't even do cardio. Matches like these really make me MORE annoyed with Cena, because it proves that he absolutely can be a great wrestler, but chooses not to except for one or two matches a year.

That's because he's good when he's carried. I think Orton's a much better example of this as somebody who'll always put out blinders as long as somebody's there to control the pace of the match and help him work out the big spots.

I'd put Nakamura/Ibushi from G1 Day 4 in the #2 spot and push everything down. I really really enjoy how Nakamura devolves towards the end, and Ibushi plays up the scrappy junior heavyweight role.

Yeah, that was a fantastic match too. Totally forgot about it.

Also, does anyone have a gif of the painting becoming the ddt ironman heavymetalweight champion?

strobogo

Banned
That's because he's good when he's carried. I think Orton's a much better example of this as somebody who'll always put out blinders as long as somebody's there to control the pace of the match and help him work out the big spots.

I think Orton is WAY better at having better matches where he's leading the match and is working with someone not on his level. Orton has has good-nearly great matches with basically everyone on the roster (except Sheamus, because they have zero chemistry) from top to bottom over the past 2 years. Around 2011, something finally switched with him and he became the wrestler they had been saying he was for years on TV.

Cena can be awesome, but only with guys who can bring him up to that level. Orton can be the guy who brings guys up to his level. There is a big difference between those two, although it wasn't a very big difference until the last couple of years.

BFIB

Overall, this PPV IMO was pretty damn good. The ending was predictable, especially when Bryan was celebrating for an extended period of time, and The Shhhovel was still in the ring.

I guess since I have been expecting this ending for a while, I was OK with it. The main thing for me, was a clean win over Cena, which is what Bryan got. Him chasing the title from here is fine, as long as at the end, Bryan is properly built, and gets the strap.

Other thoughts. Christian/Del Rio ended up being a really solid match. Hopefully Ziggler can move on to something new. Thinking that since Wyatt beat Kane, Kane will join the Wyatt Family.

Great wrestling all throughout though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cena also tended to have middling competition during a lot of his run and even the opponents he did mesh well with ended up being stale after they ran the same matches with the same spots over and over again.

I think he works quite well with The Big Show of all people but everytime they'd have a match you'd wait for the inevitable same four or five spots and the fact that they ended up throwing those two together for two or three months every year since I started watching semi seriously again around 09 really didn't help things.

Top Bottom