• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

KiNeSiS

Banned
Hey op all "reality" shows are scripted I hope you knew that. There is no such thing as reality tv.

Except for those caught on camera surveilance video shows.

OK, Ibushi vs Okada was REALLY fun. Excellent main event match in front of a loud and pro-Ibushi crowd. They trade Rainmaker attempts early on and Okada gets in a lot of his signature offence, but Ibushi eventually fights back, hitting a ridiculous springboard corkscrew moonsault to the floor and a sick moonsault knee drop. There's one unfortunate botch where Ibushi doesn't connect properly on a top rope hurricanrana, but Okada smartly sells it like he's been kicked off the top to the floor, rather than doing a front flip to the mat. Okada regains control by busting Ibushi open with his dropkick and locks in Red Ink. This was easily the best I've seen him apply it yet, the set up was perfect and Ibushi fought against it well, the crowd popping when Okada cinched in the chin-lock. Ibushi comes back with a disgusting schoolboy suplex that dumps Okada on the back of his neck and they then take it home with a great finishing sequence. Very much enjoyed this one, it ran just under 20 minutes but felt a lot quicker.

ibdeMBZfDi3H8S.gif

Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada - (DDT 08/18/13)

thuway

OK, Ibushi vs Okada was REALLY fun. Excellent main event match in front of a loud and pro-Ibushi crowd. They trade Rainmaker attempts early on and Okada gets in a lot of his signature offence, but Ibushi eventually fights back, hitting a ridiculous springboard corkscrew moonsault to the floor and a sick moonsault knee drop. There's one unfortunate botch where Ibushi doesn't connect properly on a top rope hurricanrana, but Okada smartly sells it like he's been kicked off the top to the floor, rather than doing a front flip to the mat. Okada regains control by busting Ibushi open with his dropkick and locks in Red Ink. This was easily the best I've seen him apply it yet, the set up was perfect and Ibushi fought against it well, the crowd popping when Okada cinched in the chin-lock. Ibushi comes back with a disgusting schoolboy suplex that dumps Okada on the back of his neck and they then take it home with a great finishing sequence. Very much enjoyed this one, it ran just under 20 minutes but felt a lot quicker.

ibdeMBZfDi3H8S.gif

Is this Day 4 Climax levels of Greatness?

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey op all "reality" shows are scripted I hope you knew that. There is no such thing as reality tv.

Yeah, sure buddy. Next thing you're going to tell us is that pro-wrestling is staged. As if we'd fall for that.

KiNeSiS

Banned

ibdeMBZfDi3H8S.gif

Holy shit! This guy isn't in fire pro returns BBT org right? That move sure isn't.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That match was freaking excellent, really good work by Cena, he sold his arm well throughout and the finish was great, BOMA YE!!! However, I can't help but feel that the whole angle would be a whole lot better if the stinking McMahons/H's were as far away from it as possible. HGH's ego won't allow for that, of course.

Come on, bootaaay. You of all people

Not to be a puro dork

but that's a busaiku knee kick not a bomaye
ryq3btf.gif

which would make sense given
tumblr_mpg8bbi8ym1qkcqnjo1_400.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
new consoles, Space Dandy and Pokemon Origins announced, GTA V looking like gotg, pokemon x and y looking like gotg, NJPW, WWE being awesome, razor in 2k14, kaitlyn's nipple popping out on tv

2013 is turning out awesome.

Kaladin

All about Punk n Bryan for me. Punk looks GREAT right now, and you believe he COULD beat the shit out of anyone just because of his determination and "me first" attitude. Bryan? Well, he's just awesome in the ring and is only going to get better on the mic.

Punk and Bryan are the cornerstones, but there are other things working now too. Too many for me to name at 8am, and that's a good thing.

Yes, but the joke is that wrestling is also a worked reality show. So it's a worked reality show about a worked reality show.

hlhbk

I said this in the summerslam thread and it deserves repeating here:

Man having heel HHH FINALLY come back and a possible evolution comeback along with wrestlegaf's melt down was almost as good as sex last night. I may need a cigarette. :)

Can't wait for RAW tonight! It will be a perfect show if the rumours about Cena taking time off are true!

Summerslam totally broke my expectations in match quality, the only really bad match was the opener but that was expected. The crazy thing is we're still going to get Zayne/Cesaro this week too, that's the third possible MOTY contender in one week from 6 unique wrestlers.

Kaladin

Summerslam totally broke my expectations in match quality, the only really bad match was the opener but that was expected. The crazy thing is we're still going to get Zayne/Cesaro this week too, that's the third possible MOTY contender in one week from 6 unique wrestlers.

August 26th.

I thought SummerSlam was a pretty good show. It was a two match show, but that was expected going in. Both Punk vs. Bork and Cena vs. Bryan were both excellent.

It was promoted that way, but it really wasn't.

Christian/ADR
Rhodes/Sandow
Cena/Bryan
Lesnar/Punk
Team Ziggy/AJ&E

Neidhart/Bella

At the bottom

Wyatt/Kane

Man, Kane/Wyatt was a stinker. Saddling Wyatt with a gimmick, Kane and over booking for his first match. Not even Cena could overcome those odds.

So for those who watch RoH and New Japan, how do you think Summerslam stacked as one of the PPVs of the year?

Joeki11a

Banned
Looking back why was the Crowd sooooooo
Into Orton winning lol?, they cheer him like
he was Ziggler when he cashed in! lol

I expected booooos all over that segment,
Yet all I hear is cheers. These same people were cheering DB lol

I like how Orton wasnt all excited like other
Cash ins, he seems more excited before
doing an RKo

Yet all I hear is cheers.

Cash ins,
he seems more excited before
doing an RKo

He is a heel

I said this in the summerslam thread and it deserves repeating here:

Man having heel HHH FINALLY come back and a possible evolution comeback along with wrestlegaf's melt down was almost as good as sex last night. I may need a cigarette. :)

Can't wait for RAW tonight! It will be a perfect show if the rumours about Cena taking time off are true!

I prefer HHH as a heel. As a face, he falls in the smarky a-hole category. He doesn't really seem like a man of the people.

But, lol, at him getting back together with Orton. He back stabbed Orton after he beat Benoit for the title. Then we had the whole, McMahon/HHH vs Orton angle from a few years ago during Orton's punt days. Orton punted McMahon and Stephanie. HHH broke into Randy Orton's house.

I just hope this lights a fire under Orton. Bring back the Punt. Don't seethe and spit as much. Keep the pace he's been wrestling at while incorporating under handed tactics instead of that slow, plodding, head lock-rich style he had as a heel.

Yet all I hear is cheers.

Cash ins, he seems more excited before
doing an RKo

Because people love Orton for some reason. I'm not so sure this heel turn isn't going to completely backfire as the crowd continues to cheer for him since Bryan only ever had 50-75% of the crowd against Cena. They need to align Orton with scum, and have him do lowdown heel activities like selling drugs to cats or something.

Ithil

Have we figured out if Bryan's reign was the shortest in WWE history yet? The only ones that I can think of that MIGHT be shorter were Yokozuna's at WM IX and Cena's after the Elimination Chamber match when Edge cashed in on him. And even those I think might have been longer given that they involved things that actually resembled a match, rather than the 7 seconds it took Orton to pin Bryan.

Andre the Giant's is the shortest in history, at 30 seconds.

Kaladin

I think Orton will surprise a lot of people. He's been boring because he's been in the dog house and stuck as a babyface when he's wanted to go back to being a heel for a long time. Give him a chance. He'll either be awesome again, or he'll be back to putting over Sandow and Barrett in two months.

jmdajr

That face HHH had when Orton handed him the briefcase was too awesome. Interesting how he came out to King of Kings and not Time to Play the Game.

Anyway, ordered the PPV online and watched through my Xbox, and the stream came in very well. I liked that fact that it was a flat fee. I usually have to pay an extra 10 bucks in fees and taxes through my cable provider. Granted the feed comes in better through cable but it was more than good enough.

Striker

Hopefully the latter.

The "Randy is boring" stuff didn't begin when he turned babyface after Legacy broke up. Fans endured years of HHH-Cena-Orton running RAW and holding the title. It was non stop. Rest holds galore, etc.

I'm not upset about Orton winning really, but big nose butting his head into another person's popularity is just predictable - ruined Punk's title win(s) and could possibly make this crummy too.

Paracelsus

and this Heel got a bigger reaction pop than
DB the champ just a few seconds after, this crowd was going insane for Orton winning,
without him pandering to them with arm gestures lol

Did you get a piped in dlc for Summerslam? Crowd was dead, everybody remembers Orton's run as WWE champion and nobody but fangirls wants him at the top.

jmdajr

So Del Rio had a fight backstage??????

I also saw some bruises on Christian's back.

AND.... some bruises on Daniel Bryans arms.

DrZeus

I like that idea. Del Rio badly needs a spark or something to work and it would boost the heel side a little bit. Although that may be one too many heel stables protecting their champion along with the Shield and whatever HHH & Orton are doing.

I just think it would be fitting for him to dump his loyal com padre and end up on the side of the evil over-patriotic Zeb to reach a new level of heat. Who is so passionate about righting the wrongs in his country that he is willing to turn to the antithesis and redefine the American Spirit. They did feud for a few months, but this is the E Universe. They can conveniently bring this all together in a promo blaming the fans/public for putting strong ethical men as themselves against each other for their own entertain and to derail Zeb/ADR's movement.

Yea, maybe would be too heel group heavy. This may give more people the chance to step up as faces to truly drawn lines in the sand and show direction. You got Ziggler who I'm not sure what they want to do with and guys like Cody/Kofi/Usos/Sin Cara floundering to get people to consistently cheer them. If Shield does end up joining Evolution too this could end up a heel dominated company moving towards Survivor Series. Would make some fun 5 v 5 tags though...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
post-summerslam Fave Five let's do this folks

1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Yuji Nagata
3. Karl Anderson
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Kazuchika Okada

Looks like WWE can't win in my book! STILL high off of Nakamura's EVERYTHING, Nagata's still over as fuuuaaaark, Karl Anderson never lets me down, Ishii still had match of the year, and Okada IS Okada.

Batigol

Banned
Where does Bryan even go from here?

He'll feud with Orton, obviously won't win the title. Orton will move onto Punk, then they'll feud until Cena comes back. Then Cena/Orton and Cena gets his title back

Bryan twiddles his thumbs

hlhbk

He'll feud with Orton, obviously won't win the title. Orton will move onto Punk, then they'll feud until Cena comes back. Then Cena/Orton and Cena gets his title back

Not true. I could easily see this being a huge spring board for Bryan's career. I could see HBK coming in and helping him deal with Hunter.

jmdajr

People have little faith. You think Cena would job just to have Bryan go back to mid card?
It's all good. D. Bry pretty much has a rocket ship strapped to his back at this point.

Kaladin

Why won't he win the title from Orton? Bryan has beat Orton already. This feud is the vehicle to put Bryan solidly on the main event level. This isn't to help Orton regain the spotlight or as a place-holder till Cena gets back, it's a launching pad for Bryan to main event status, where he should be.

Ithil

I don't get this idea. This story is ALL about Bryan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
August's subtitle should have been 'Why can't I hold all these MOTY contenders?' with the limes replaced by Ishii, Brock, Shibata, Punk, Bryan, Naito, Cesaro, Suzuki, etc.
L0i8gUu.gif

Morning Brock sell appreciation

Brinbe

What, seriously? This is the whole point of prolonging Bryan's momentum. It'll do more for him to continue chasing for a little while, especially against Orton/Triple H. He'll get the strap back in time in a few months.

BFIB

This sort of reminds me of Austin going for the strap. Sometimes the chase is what people want to see more than the title run itself.

On that twitch stream that Stro linked, anyone else not able to hear audio?

Kaladin

August's subtitle should have been 'Why can't I hold all these MOTY contenders?' with the limes replaced by Ishii, Brock, Shibata, Punk, Bryan, Naito, Suzuki, etc.

It will be something along those lines.....like how does September follow that?

Actually, what was that Flair quote about Goldberg following his Wrestlemania match?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty often the chase of a face to get a heel championship is far more captivating for people. The opposite is not very entertaining and can get old fast.

hlhbk

Pretty often the chase of a face to get a heel championship is far more captivating for people. The opposite is not very entertaining and can get old fast.

Agreed. I mean take a look at face supercena being pushed down our throats the last 10 years.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Faces are usually better chasing, but Daniel Bryan would be the perfect Bret Hart style champion where he's just the 'fighting champion.' Performs every night, shows that he didn't win by flukes or being flashy. Carrying guys through amazing matches like Bret did with Diesel.

Kaladin

September Wrasslin' |OT| Summerslam? Nobody could follow that thing. Do you think HIAC could? Are you kidding me?

Dammit, that quote is too long. Even with Hell In A Cell abbreviated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
September Wrasslin' |OT| Summerslam? Nobody could follow that thing. Do you think HIAC could? Are you kidding me?

Dammit, that quote is too long. Even with Hell In A Cell abbreviated.

September Wrasslin' |OT| DESTRUCTION

Aiii

So not worth it
Faces are usually better chasing, but Daniel Bryan would be the perfect Bret Hart style champion where he's just the 'fighting champion.' Performs every night, shows that he didn't win by flukes or being flashy. Carrying guys through amazing matches like Bret did with Diesel.

There's time for that, I'm sure they'll get there.

The fact that we can't wait for Bryan being champ is even better, chasing faces are fun. Chasing faces everyone desperatly wants to win the belt is just epic.

I hope they handle it well though, some people think it'll be a RR win and a build to WM, but how do you keep Bryan THIS hot for that long? It's five long months until the Rumble after all.

Top Bottom