• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As nice as a fighting champion would be, it'd wear on you a LOT, physically. I don't know if they want to burn him out so quick.

Summerslam turned out better than I could have hoped. Decent matches all around, with some impressive spots (along with some cringeworthy ones). Totally worth heading to the bar to watch it last night. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that Triple H set up Orton's chance to cash in the briefcase, which means we get to sit through another few weeks of Vince VS Hunter. It was obvious that would happen as soon as Triple H put himself into the match, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's almost as fun going through the SummerSlam OT after the fact - although it seems like the bar for what constitutes a 'meltdown' has been severely lowered. 5-6 pissed posts and a couple of tired gifs = 'ALL DAT SALT'? C'mon, son.

I would be more scared if WWE hadn't been giving us exactly what we wanted ever since WrestleMania.

It's been too long to be a fluke really.

Exactly. It's a mixed bag, but there's more good than bad. Worst case scenario, it's a smooth patch in booking; hopefully, this past SummerSlam is just another example of the product improving.

Because people love Orton for some reason. I'm not so sure this heel turn isn't going to completely backfire as the crowd continues to cheer for him since Bryan only ever had 50-75% of the crowd against Cena. They need to align Orton with scum, and have him do lowdown heel activities like selling drugs to cats or something.

That will never have an effect so long as Orton fans have Burn In My Light stuck in their heads everytime he comes out - I swear, either Orton fans have incredible patience or they've got mental burn-in of 2006 Randy, arms outstretched and lightly tatted, stuck smack-dab in their occipital lobes.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Bryan can only do matches with intensity on 11 though.

I doubt the guy can do a match on 70%, even on house shows.

krae_man

According to Wikipedia, the match was 8 seconds long. Randy Orton now shares the record for fastest WWE title win with Kevin Nash.

At least the celebration after the match was probably long enough to not make it the shortest title rein ever.

Edit: Actually upon closer inspection, it might be. The only rein that might have been shorter is when Batista beat Cena after the Elimination Chamber in 2010.

Edit2: Never mind, I forgot Yoko-Hogan. Bryan is safe.

After this past week of wrasslin I'm changing up my top 5

1) Punk
2) Bryan
3) Aries
4) Ziggler
5) Bork

Bork is part time in my top 5, its good to see he is capable of delivering such a match, Punk elevated him to what he is capable of, it also shows how crappy the fued with HHH was. Punk is phenominal right now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Brock Lesnar
3. Katsuyori Shibata
4. Minoru Suzuki
5. Tetsuya Naito

Apparently I'm way into MMA guys in wrestling. Can't wait for Sakuraba to return. Honestly, despite the goofy face, I thought he came off as even more intimidating than Shibata. Shibata still looks like a movie star body wrestler. Sakuraba just looks like he works out to kill fools.

tumblr_mroqiorPFO1qhjbxeo1_500.gif

strobogo

Banned
Remember when Orton won his first title and HHH cut his legs out from under him right away? It took Orton YEARS to fully recover. I think it is reasonable to be nervous and uneasy over the next few weeks.

jmdajr

Evolution is a mystery
A small change that no one sees.
Clock makes a fool of history .
Yesterday's so long ago, don't agree with what I know .
Tomorrow becomes a place to be.

I see the line in the sand
Time to find out who I am
Looking back to see where I stand.

EVOLUTION EVOLUTION

Kaladin

As nice as a fighting champion would be, it'd wear on you a LOT, physically. I don't know if they want to burn him out so quick.

Fighting champions hardly ever work to put over a single wrestler. It's more of vehicle to put over a promotion as having solid matches.

Fav Five (five)

1) Shinsuke Nakamura
2) Daniel Bryan
3) Katsuyori Shibata
4) Tomohiro Ishii
5) Kazuchika Okada
5) Hiroshi Tanahashi
5) Karl Anderson
5) Brock Lesnar
5) Kota Ibushi

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brock Lesnar didn't get elevated by Punk. Both of them worked their asses off, it was a symbiotic relationship!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Three amigos was a nice touch. I think Brock actually enjoyed himself out there.

Hell yes he did, it was great. Brock was firing on all cylinders and making Punk look like a million bucks. Great psychology all match long.

Aiii

So not worth it
August Fave Five!
1. Daniel Bryan
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. CM Punk
4. Katsuyori Shibata
5. Tomohiro Ishii
6. Prince Devitt

XenoRaven

It's Okada vs Kojima that's got me hyped, their match in the G1 was so freaking great, I just know the extended version will be a match of the year contender.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out Tanahashi vs Devitt from back in March (before Devitt turned and formed BULLET CLUB);

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt - (NJPW 03/03/13)
G1 Stuff:
As much as Tenzan sucked during the tournament, I got all misty eyed when Kojima started doing the chops and the crowd started chanting for Tenzan. Really great moment. Nagata spitting his blood everywhere was awesome too.

I'm pretty sure Suzuki is going to murder Yano.

As for Summerslam, I said it in the other thread but I really think HHH is working over a lot of people. They turned Vince's love of muscleheads into a storyline. Vince mentioned HHH's insatiable ego on live television. People in the Summerslam thread were going crazy saying that HHH had to stick his nose in the match because he has to be the center of attention and all that. Even smart fans are legitimately worried for Bryan's future and I think it's beautiful. I may eat my words here, but I think the ultimate payoff from this is going to be something that keeps everyone the edge of their seat, from lil Jimmy to the guys writing the dirt sheets.

That was my Aiii moment of the day.

Marvel

could never
My August fave five currently!

1. Bryan

2. Punk

3. Cesaro

4. Christian

5. Lesnar

Sneaky bonus goes to Sonjay Dutt for his beautiful moonsault foot stomp finisher I saw recently and RVD who is in top form upon his return.

Glad people are finding / remembering how much of a beast brock is.

Dude is the total package in the ring athletic , powerful and a good seller.

Watch his stuff from 03/04

One of my favs of all time.

strobogo

Banned
I'm currently giffing Bork/Punk. I really liked the GTS into kimura counter. I'm going to have to make multiple posts for it. I have more gifs for this than an entire WCW PPV.

Kaladin

You know, I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I felt like Triple H being out there as special guest referee was mostly to be there in Bryan's big moment. I don't think it was to share the spotlight, he was never a part of the match till he turned on Bryan at the end. I think he wanted to see how over this kid was for himself the best way he could. I think he came away from it all impressed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
August Fave Five!
1. Daniel Bryan
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. CM Punk
4. Katsuyori Shibata
5. Tomohiro Ishii
6. Prince Devitt

Man, I never thought I'd see the day. Horizons broad. Enjoying it all.

Aiii

So not worth it
Man, I never thought I'd see the day. Horizons broad. Enjoying it all.

Glad your happy, I knew you would be.

Still, once again, for the first two years I watched wrestling, it was exclusively New Japan. I was a huge Liger mark and will forever consider him the GOAT. So, really, it's not that surprising I still enjoy it now. It's just that G1 is a decent starting point if you're not familiar with current era NJPW and can't understand what people are saying.

Marvel

could never
I was waiting for Vince shenanigans, but it never came....
It was perfect.

I'm actually now really curious as to whether or not Vince is in on it... or is he going to be mad because HHH went behind his back and decide to back Daniel out of spite of HHH? lol very interesting.

Grat job by Bryan and Cena last night. Cena was a trooper losing clean and showing Bryan love after the match, he really wrestled a good match. Now he'll probably get that elbow cleaned out and be ready in 3 months, guy could use time off.

Kaladin

I know I've mentioned here before about how Bryan Danielson renewed my faith in wrestling on the first indie show I ever watched. He wrestled Lance Storm at Ring of Honor's Better Than Our Best 2006. It was a classic and showed me that that kind of wrestling still existed.

Fast forward seven years and now he's renewed my faith in wrestling again, only this time it is mainstream wrestling. I'm no longer just watching Raw because he's a part of it....to catch a glimpse of whatever match they throw him in this week. He's once again shown me that the kind of intense skillful art of wrestling he brings to the table exists, only this time on the big stage.

You can keep your Ric Flair, your HBK, your Undertaker. They were all great in their times. Daniel Bryan is my GOAT. I can't wait to see where he goes from here.

Franklin

Neo Member
Not sure if its been posted, but the reported fight between Del Rio and Drew didn't happen. Meltzer said that Del Rio and Drew got into a fight with other people and were beat up. Someone told Meltzer, "If this was mid south; they both would have been fired."

jmdajr

Not sure if its been posted, but the reported fight between Del Rio and Drew didn't happen. Meltzer said that Del Rio and Drew got into a fight with other people and were beat up. Someone told Meltzer, "If this was mid south; they both would have been fired."

I wonder who they bumped into and how many

nappy

Neo Member
August Fave Five

1. Daniel Bryan
2. CM Punk
3. Shinsuke Nakamura
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi
5a. Prince Devitt
5b. Minoru Suzuki
HM. Antonio Cesaro

Shit, so many great dudes get to work together, it's amazing time to be a fan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Heh goddamn

Couple thoughts:

Punk/Bork delivered. They probably could have dialed Heyman back a little bit but they didn't overbook it into oblivion unlike...

The Bray Wyatt debut... what the fuck? That match was a hot mess. I'm not sure why they couldn't have just made Bray look like he was a match for Kane, but instead they booked him super weak. Also - flaming kendo stick should have been used.

Ambrose/RVD was good and really should have been on the main card. Every RVD match lately has just been "RVD gets his shit in then [wins/loses]" but at least in this one he looked like he gave a fuck.
Ambrose was solid as ever, plus he is looking like he's in the best shape of his life, glad he removed his weighted training armor and is fighting at full strength.

Glad to see Triple H finally turn heel. He's fucking insufferable as a good guy or a bad guy, but at least now I'm supposed to hate him for being a terrible person rather than being told I'm supposed to cheer for that same reason.

Solid show.

I can't do just five, so here's my Esteemed Eight for August;

1. Hiroshi Tanahashi
2. CM Punk
3. Satoshi Kojima
4. Daniel Bryan
5. Katsuyori Shibata
6. Brock Lesnar
7. Tomohiro Ishii
8. Kota Ibushi

I'm not even much of a Tanahashi fan, but he had a simply outstanding G1, topped off by three ****+ matches in 2 days, and all that while carrying numerous injuries. The guy's a machine. Punk has his faults, but he can always be called upon to have fantastic matches and last night's match with Brock was no exception. Punk played his role perfectly. Kojima was easily the best of the old guard in the G1 this year and my MVP of the tournament, such a fantastic performance and I can't wait for his match with Okada next month. Amazing to see Bryan succeed to such a degree on this level, his match with Cena was one of the best of either men's careers and I'm looking forward to seeing how high this storyline takes Bryan. Shibata was a beast in the G1, he's such a wonderful talent. Speaking of beasts, Brock had his best match since coming back against Punk last night. He's a real one-of-a-kind and I love watching him cause havoc. Ishii did very well in the G1 and it's really gratifying to see the fans take to him to such a degree, two really awesome matches against Tanahashi & Shibata easily rank in the top matches of his career. Finally, Kota Ibushi, probably the best high-flyer in the world (it's between him, Neville & Ricochet, for my money), he had a great August participating in the G1 and his match with Okada yesterday was a ton of fun.

BFIB

His entrance music king of kings should have been a clue. He hasn't used that music in years. The king of kings is back! :)

I thought the same thing. Odd that he would come out to that music. Knew something was up right then.

I thought that main event match was incredible. Easily four stars, maybe more. Cena brought his A game, Bryan was fantastic, crowd was awesome.

At first I was all "fuck this company" at the swerve but really, I think this is a decent direction for them to go with Bryan. Him chasing the belt for longer than a month (which is basically, in storyline, all he's been doing) will be much better for him long term than him winning the belt first chance he gets. And Orton is a good guy for him to go up against and eventually beat.

Kaladin

One of the top questions we've received since last night' Summerslam is what happened to World champion Alberto Del Rio's face.
According to several sources, Del Rio was at an Irish pub close to where the WWE hotel was late Saturday night/early Sunday morning when he got into a fight with several patrons there.

One story is that Del Rio got into a verbal confrontation with someone and his friends stepped in.

When Del Rio returned to the WWE hotel Sunday AM, he had two black eyes and was trying to shield his face from everyone in the lobby. He was accompanied by Drew McIntyre, who was also at the Pub and stepped into the fight to help Del Rio.

We've also heard that McIntyre ended up with two knots on the side of his head during the fracas.

Ithil

You know, I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I felt like Triple H being out there as special guest referee was mostly to be there in Bryan's big moment. I don't think it was to share the spotlight, he was never a part of the match till he turned on Bryan at the end. I think he wanted to see how over this kid was for himself the best way he could. I think he came away from it all impressed.

HHH was out there for the swerve. He had a low key entrance (he just walked out to his music, no water or anything), he was a regular referee for the entire match, hell I kept forgetting he was even the ref. All to make you think he really was just looking to keep it fair and clean.

But as soon as he stayed in the ring after Cena left, you knew the twist was coming.
I do wonder if this is meant to be HHH and Vince together, or separate. I mean if you want to turn Vince face, you can have him be impressed by Bryan's victory and think he's worthy after all, or something. The whole McMahon family together as heels doesn't sound like a fun time at all.

Top Bottom