• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Penguin

It has also been quite a while since we've had a corporate champion.....I hope they go down that road.

That has to be the angle, no?

The whole the WWE needs a Champion who looks like Triple H... then why not the man Triple H groomed to be like him a decade ago.

They can throw in maybe Barrett and another heel who is wallowing in the mid-card to form a new heel stable and have folks for Bryan to feud with.

Vestal

How is it bad booking?

Orton instantly becomes the number 1 heel in the company and Bryan becomes the number 1 babyface with a large-reaching storyline and the sympathy of the fans for being screwed AGAIN.

If I had to make one change, it would be that Orton and Bryan had an actual match and when it looked like Bryan would have won, have Triple H turn on him.
you do that and Orton doesn't get the heat he will now. Orton wouldn't come off as an opportunistic prick.

Kaladin

That has to be the angle, no?

The whole the WWE needs a Champion who looks like Triple H... then why not the man Triple H groomed to be like him a decade ago.

They can throw in maybe Barrett and another heel who is wallowing in the mid-card to form a new heel stable and have folks for Bryan to feud with.

Orton might have not been in on it. He accepted it, sure....but he might have not been in on the plans, thus they might not have him be a corporate champion, more like the chosen champion.

hlhbk

1. How? Bryan has beaten Orton on free TV clean multiple times. If he wins the belt back it would not draw and the fans wouldn't be interested. The added McMahon family hijinx were the worst part of the Cena and Bryan build. It won't add any groundbreaking drama to the Orton and Bryan feud. I fear that the crowd is going to cool on Bryan and WWE is going to back off of his push by the end of this bullshit.

2. Batista and Flair aren't coming out tonight on RAW. This is not an Evolution reunion. Storyline wise, it makes no sense. Triple H helping Orton win the belt was less about giving the belt to Orton and more about getting the belt off of Cena and Bryan. It's not an alliance between the two.

3. Heel Triple H is a good thing. But even Punk didn't get one over on Triple H. Just another example of "this older established guy is way better than these new up and comers you cheer for."

PS: The only reason Cena isn't in the spotlight is because he's taking time off. I expect him back by Survivor Series. It wouldn't surprise me if Orton and Cena were fighting for the title by the Rumble.

1. I see a much bigger storyline than what you seem to think will happen. I think this will end up with Bryan in the Wrestlemania main event for the title, and that wrestlers such as HBK and HHH rubbing off and helping Bryan get over more than he already has.

2. They will come out eventually. Until it is shot down you won't convince me this isn't an Evolution comeback.

3. Look at this as a way for Bryan to step up. Punk didn't go over in the ring but he destroyed Hunter on the mic and don't be fooled the fans remember that.

Paracelsus

You can name the number of people who, after winning whatever world championship, kept being in the title game for six to eight years on one single hand. That is the problem with Orton, Cena and Triple H.

Austin and Rock are two of the biggest ever and their run at the absolute top is roughly three years each, Flair has got it much longer but he was not in the same place for long, Michaels was like 2 (and even if he hadn't broken his neck it still would have been like 5-6 at best), Bret Hart got 5-6. Hogan at the top won five titles in 10 years, Cena won thirteen in eight, Orton won eight in six. Triple H is the worst offender of them all but I'm not even sure how much of an actual draw he is, my guess is not as big as they make him look like.

jmdajr

Austin had to leave, hist body couldn't take it. The Rock left for Hollywood. So yeah they had shorter runs but it is what it is.

BFIB

You may say my posts are dumb.

But this is the WWE we are talking about.

Do you really trust them to book Bryan out of this? Because I sure as fuck don't.

I get what you're saying, and usually, I would have to agree with this.

But having Bryan not only control 95% of the match against Cena, but actually pin him clean, its clear that WWE is looking to establish a long term plan for Bryan eventually getting the strap.

Aiii kept telling me, and I did not want to believe him. But he was right. The ending fit the chase for the title, and Bryan's popularity will continue to get stronger because of the swerve.

jmdajr

I get what you're saying, and usually, I would have to agree with this.

But having Bryan not only control 95% of the match against Cena, but actually pin him clean, its clear that WWE is looking to establish a long term plan for Bryan eventually getting the strap.

Aiii kept telling me, and I did not want to believe him. But he was right. The ending fit the chase for the title, and Bryan's popularity will continue to get stronger because of the swerve.

Some folks need to chill, everything will be fine. I can tell you one guy that doesn't give a fuck about all this.. Daniel Bryan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In honor of his appearance in WWE 2k14 and his greatest comeback yet(in life). I present

Razor Ramonday

Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels famous ladder match at Summerslam 1995
Scott Hall vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania X8
Razor Ramon vs Goldust (really underrated match)
Scott Hall carves up Disco Inferno's chest real nice
Razor Ramon vs The Undertaker 92

tumblr_mr0ukodRw61s1lrtoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqq4c6K7FT1sqxw6oo1_400.jpg

tumblr_mpwqxjbkrH1sygt8to1_500.jpg

RazorRamon.gif

Some of the best wrasslin punches of all time
His character made the IC title seem like the biggest deal in the world. 'My gold, chico'
The lax character
The fact that he got two phrases wicked over
The Razor's Edge

Wish I could find the match where he beat Lenny and Lodi in a handicap match because the Giant was sick and they were the tag champions.

Paracelsus

The only way for this feud to be legit and put Bryan over completely is in the same night send Punk against Orton, have Orton win via classic heel screwjob, all while Bryan annihilates HHH, possibly with a crippler crossface.

just saw Lesnar vs Punk. 5 stars. Lesnar has such an aura of legitimacy, it's fantastic.

edit: lol, that 0 reaction for AJ. cut all these people, i ain't gonna watch this shit.

Orton might have not been in on it. He accepted it, sure....but he might have not been in on the plans, thus they might not have him be a corporate champion, more like the chosen champion.

Kinda like Batista a few years ago after Cena won the EC... he didn't really become the corporate champ even though McMahon orchestrated the whole thing.

Ithil

You may say my posts are dumb.

But this is the WWE we are talking about.

Do you really trust them to book Bryan out of this? Because I sure as fuck don't.

I feel like the difference between something like 18 seconds, or Christian losing to Orton two days into his title reign, or Punk losing to Del Rio after Nash interfered, is that those all suffered from not being about the guys they should have been about.

18 seconds was a dumbass booking decision aimed at getting Sheamus over big, Christian losing was KEEPING ORTON STRONG nonsense, and Punk's loss after SS 2011, was just a part of the story that had HHH of all people as its main character with Cena as the secondary guy, and Punk as a supporting character.

This story is ALL about Bryan. It's not a "GOTTA KEEP ORTON STRONG" deal here, it's about Bryan vs Orton/HHH and the corporation. With how they ended this, and Cena leaving for major elbow surgery, I fully feel Bryan is very much the protagonist here.

jred2k

I'm gonna have to watch that Brock/Punk match again tonight. My stream was kind of being shit through parts of that and I had to watch it on medium quality and missed some spots.Brock is just ferocious and basically everything he does looks like it has IMPACT.

Also, I'm of the mind that you can't really judge a storyline until after the next night's Raw. The main thing is that, wrestling wise, SummerSlam was a lot of fun to watch. Most of the under/mid-card matches gave some sort of conclusion or resolution and the uppercard matches have new threads to move forward with.

I think Sandow/Rhodes was a nice job and could set up Rhodes as a challenger for the WHC against ADR.

strobogo

Banned
The end of the show was very deflating, but I am interested in where the story goes. It will be fun to see Stone Cold Daniel Bryan. I think the end should be the ULTIMATE SMARK DREAM of Bryan Danielson beating the shit out of HHH and beating him in the center of the ring

DrZeus

post-summerslam Fave Five let's do this folks

1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Yuji Nagata
3. Karl Anderson
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Kazuchika Okada

Looks like WWE can't win in my book! STILL high off of Nakamura's EVERYTHING, Nagata's still over as fuuuaaaark, Karl Anderson never lets me down, Ishii still had match of the year, and Okada IS Okada.

1. Shinsuke Nakamura
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Katsuyori Shibata
5. Tomohiro Ishii/ Bork Laser

Brock is the closet thing to a Vader-esque monster heel, so I gotta sneak him in there.

mouserat

Neo Member
Summerslam was awesome!

- I though that pre-ad break/horribly booked finish, RVD and Ambrose were having a really solid match. I'd love to see them have a rematch with 15+ minutes and a no interference stiupulation.

- Ring of Fire match SUCKED. glad the flames were so high because they obscured how horribly mistimed the moves were. so many moves didn't even connect, and it was a typical big man squash, like WCW in 1998. just awful. the ring steps spot was TERRIBLE, no-one has ever believed there is any contact, not even in 1992. 'follow the buzzards' and a t-shirt? Bray Wyatt DOESN'T NEED A CATCHPHRASE, nor a tertiary nickname. on Smackdown I thought it was symbolic that the Shield were in-ring as they replayed the Wyatt assault on Kane from the first segment, but if they are HHH's new pet project then I guess we can look forward to generic promos and WWE branded sheep masks. bleh.

- Cody/Sandow was fine. I wish Sandow wouldn't do the job in every match. he's one of, if not the most hated heel on the roster. I can't see him really going far with his current gimmick, it's a little kitschy. they should have kept the 'stache on Cody and used this as a springboard for a beard vs moustache match with the briefcase on the line. solid midcard match though, loved Sandow doing the bottom half of TOTAL ELIMINATION, Cody took a pretty rough apron bump.

- Christian/ADR was actually much better than I anticipated. they won me over towards the end of their recent TV matches, but this one was pretty good throughout. told a nice story, nice to see some proper heat for Alberto, and the heel tactics showed some real character, which he has missed outside of savaging Ziggler and Ricardo. was a thousand percent sure his weird promo would queue up a Rey Misterio run in. I find ADR and Christian both pretty predictable and thus, boring, but I feel like they did a lot of fresh, unexpected stuff here. on a side note, the dude is a legit fighter, if he got beat up that badly in a bar I'd expect he was pretty heavily outnumbered. hopefully we'll find out from the dirtsheets what happened. not sure what part of Ayrshire Drew McIntyre is from but a lot of it is rough as shit, I've love to know what kind of guys could mess those two up.

- Divas match was a Divas match. call up Paige and Emma, put Natty back in with the wrestlers and keep the reality TV girls to Sunday night. Eva Marie is UN BE LIEV A BLE. so hoochy. smoking hot.

- Punk/Bork. just brilliant. I didn't hate on HHH/Bork's wrestlemania match as much as everyone else, but this was a zillion times better. no point talking about because it's been done to death already, which is a testament to how good it was. I had zero problem with the logic during the Heyman interference, I was 100% sucked into kayfabe mode for this match. snapping the wood from the announce table on Punks back was brutal, I was so sure there would be a chairshot to the head during it, instead they just amped up the back chairshots. 5 stars!

- crowd was zapped for the mixed tag match. no-one cares about Kaitlyn or Big E. AJ is over, Dolph is over, but they can't be in the ring together. that the crowd was so hot for the ending is a testament to how much Dolph and Big E were trying in this match. Dolph was jumping higher and running faster than usual, but he was really laying the moves in tight, sometimes I feel like he tries so hard things end up sloppy, like when he lands 5 feet away from the other guy after a Zigzag. this was as good as I could be I guess, just please let it die now. Big E is so charismatic, let him loose on a new programme and give him the mic/backstage skits.

- Bryan/Cena. John Cena is a nice guy. he works hard, he loves his company, and he does more than his fair share of charity stuff, whether for sick kids or the armed forces. and, it's not his fault persay that he's been pushed to the moon for so long, but this match (as good as it was) really pissed me off. the payoff for Bryan's 'elevation' is that they designed this match to put Cena over as a good wrestler. HE. IS. NOT. A. GOOD. WRESTLER. and the dumb thing is, he doesn't need to be!! did the crowd chant 'you can't wrestle' at Stone Cold Steve Austin? no they did not. the most technical thing he did was a Lou Thesz press! they cheered because a) they liked him and b) he didn't try to do stuff he can't do! they chant that at Cena because they just want to slate the guy because of how he's booked! and the moron feeds them by doing dumb shit like CM Punks Shining Wizard in the corner, or a Hurricanrana, or that abomination people are referring to as a Styles Clash which, personally, I thought it was stupid and reckless - Bryan nearly broke his back trying to avoid breaking his neck. John Cena does not need to prove he's a good wrestler because he cannot prove it, the whole story behind the match is pointless, do they think fans won't realise that he only has matches like this against dudes like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan? this whole programme stopped being about Daniel Bryan during RAW and became about John Cena, and the reason he could take the clean pinfall as that he's been 'redeemed' as a technical wrestler, as good as anyone in the indies or Japan AS WELL as being the big Hollywood superstar.

this match, booking aside, was good. not as good as Punk/Brock, but a different kind of match. I liked how obvious it was that Bryan was calling it, and he came out looking like a real pro who is able to carry a match at the highest level. Cena will be out, and the E finally has a main event heel after months of weird tweener promos and heatless, confusing TV. like seriously, the next biggest heel before Orton's cashin was Ryback, and his Summerslam involvement amounted to pouring soup down a guys shirt. I'm looking forward to seeing Orton's newfound workrate with his natural heel behaviour being allowed to shine, but HHH/Vince will probably turn the whole thing into a clusterfuck. still, as long as the madness happens before and after 25 minute 4star matches then no complaints from me. great show overall.

side note, the commentary put the end of the show over perfectly, they did a great job selling the emotional win, and the dastardly heel turn even though the crowd popped for the Pedigree. co-incidentally, Bryan kicks out of Cena's finisher and finishes his match looking pretty fresh, but a Pedigree puts him down for like a full minute so that Orton doesn't even need to RKO him for a 3-count? get over yourself Paul.

Bowser

As much as I understood why they had Orton cash in and how it makes a lot of sense, etc, I still hated it lol. I wish they let Bryan ride that emotional high. But it's clear that at some point Bryan is getting the title back. Whether it's at Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, or WrestleMania, it's happening. Hell, look at the end of the write-up to the match on the website:

Moments after Bryan had repelled The Viper, The Game shocked the WWE Universe and their new champion by cutting down Bryan with a Pedigree. With a smile, The Game beckoned Orton to the ring and happily accepted his Money in the Bank contract, counting the pinfall and handing Orton his first WWE Title in three years without a single drop of sweat spilled.

And so ended Daniel Bryan’s reign as WWE Champion, with the people’s chosen hero splayed across the mat and a pair of men entrusted to do the right thing celebrating over his body. What this means for the future of Orton, Triple H and the WWE Title is anyone’s guess, but this much is clear: Having come this close to reaching the peak, Daniel Bryan will find his retribution in the long run. As this match showed, he doesn't take defeat lying down. Though, at The Biggest Party of the Summer, it seemed he was left with no other choice than to take “No” for an answer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do we get an Observer today or do they save that for post-Raw?

Penguin

So this was asked on the LAW and curious as well, what do you do with most of the roster now?

Where does the Wyatts go?
Punk?
Del Rio?

If there's a new Evolution, I hope Sandow is part of it. That sort of association is exactly what he needs to really be taken seriously as a possible future main eventer, and it would just take a few tweaks to his character to make him fit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So this was asked on the LAW and curious as well, what do you do with most of the roster now?

Where does the Wyatts go?
Punk?
Del Rio?

The Wyatts - I'd put them in a program with a tag team - keep Bray out of the ring and make the other two do a lot of the work. Bring in Kane near the end of the feud on the Wyatt's side. New lease on life. What team would want to save Kane? Might be the Shield they target next. Hard to say.

Punk - probably fit him in the main event scenario

Del Rio - uh, well...I got nothing.

somedevil

Not sure if this was posted but the story behind Del Rio black eye:

n an update to the earlier story about two men attacking Alberto Del Rio near WWE's hotel over the weekend, PWInsider reports that the incident happened at an Irish pub near WWE's hotel. Del Rio reportedly got into a verbal argument with someone and that person hit Del Rio with his friends jumping in. This led to Drew McIntyre stepping in to help Del Rio.

The incident actually happened on Saturday night. When Del Rio returned to WWE's hotel early Sunday morning, he was sporting two black eyes and trying to hide his face from everyone in the lobby. Drew ended up with two knots on the side of his head

He didn't press charges against them it seems.

An eyewitness report said that Alberto was getting harassed by two dudes outside the hotel and started attacking him. McIntyre jumped in to even things up.

Penguin

The Wyatts - I'd put them in a program with a tag team - keep Bray out of the ring and make the other two do a lot of the work. Bring in Kane near the end of the feud on the Wyatt's side. New lease on life. What team would want to save Kane? Might be the Shield they target next. Hard to say.

Punk - probably fit him in the main event scenario

Del Rio - uh, well...I got nothing.
See, the Wyatts are interesting.
While they are a trio, I feel like the whole point of the stable is to get Bray over as a heel.
So putting him on the back burner of any potential feud seems strange.
But I don't know what else face they could go after...

Punk - As noted below is probably continuing his feud with Heyman, but Lesnar has so few dates/PPVs left, and you probably want to build it up a bit, but you also probably don't want to put him in the title scene yet. I do suspect he'll be there for Survivor Series/Royal Rumble.

What I was thinking... and would give him three PPV matches until Survivor Series is they pair Heyman with The Shield again, since he was responsible for bringing them into the company, and have Punk take them out on successive PPVs.

Del Rio - His promo last night made it sound like fixing him for a Rey feud, but I could also see RVD.

Nattie of of nowhere

Nattie-lingerie.gif

Also punk will still fued with Brock/heyman

And great ep of Total Divas!

Top Bottom