• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Classic Match of the Day:

New Japan Army vs UWF - 5 vs 5 Gauntlet Match - (NJPW 05/01/1986)

New Japan Army: Seiji Sakaguchi, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Shiro Koshinaka & Keiichi Yamada
UWF: Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki

Real classic match here from the granddaddy of all pro-wrestling vs shootsyle feuds as old man Sakaguchi leads out the New Japan Army against Akira Maeda's UWF shooters. There's far too much action to call, the whole thing running over an hour, but suffice to say there's some absolutely fantastic technical wrestling throughout. Nobuhiko Takada starts off for the UWF against a very young & scrawny Keiichi Yamada, who would become Jushin 'Thunder' Liger three years later and the first match alone is a pretty great encounter, but it just gets better from there on out and once Yoshiakia Fujiwara makes his presence known, it really kicks up a gear. A fantastic hour's worth of wrestling from one of the hottest feuds in Japanese pro-wrestling history.

Here's the list of bouts, in case you need help identifying anyone;

Keiichi Yamada vs Nobuhiko Takada
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Nobuhiko Takada
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Kazuo Yamazaki
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Osamu Kido
Osamu Kido vs Shiro Koshinaka
Osamu Kido vs Kengo Kimura
Kengo Kimura vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Tatsumi Fujinami
Tatsumi Fujinami vs Akira Maeda

jred2k

NXT has been a sleeper cell this whole time. HHH has been using McMahon's money and resources to groom an army that can help him take control of the company away from Vince.

Kaladin

NXT has been a sleeper cell this whole time. HHH has been using McMahon's money and resources to groom an army that can help him take control of the company away from Vince.

And Daniel Bryan will have to reform the Nexus (with few original members) to combat the evil H's & 3's.

Kaladin

He left with dignity.. I mean he has lost the title 11 times now.. it's not that big of a deal to him I would imagine

Which was part of the story, he lacks that hunger.

What I thought was an awesome part of that moment was when Cena approached Bryan and the music cut, the crowd hushed and the celebration stopped in anticipation of something....and then Cena shook his hand.

Omega

Banned
He left with dignity.. I mean he has lost the title 11 times now.. it's not that big of a deal to him I would imagine

Which was part of the story, he lacks that hunger.

Except it isn't part of a story. It's how he is.

Apparently he's taking time off for surgery. He knows the moment he gets back he's getting that title and the spotlight back so he doesn't give a shit. He never has because he knows it and we know it.

Anyone else that has the belt is just babysitting it while Cena has other things to worry about.

Into

Evolution 2.0

Triple H - Mentor (old Ric Flair role)
Orton - Main guy (old Triple H role)
Ziggler - Young blood

I want to see Orton and Ziggler drinking champagne in the limo, straight ballin' and that theme song to return.

hlhbk

Evolution 2.0

Ziggler - Young blood

I want to see Orton and Ziggler drinking champagne in the limo, straight ballin' and that theme song to return.

That is what I am talking about! Book it! OMG I would love that Evolution!

Good god, surprised Juvi didn't murder Jimmy Yang with this;

ioKCBnxnqzlId.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
The entire segment was great, the entire crowd YES-chanting as Bryan powered up for his finisher. Cena taking it head on, literally. The clean pin. The celebration with Cena's passing the torch moment. The streamers and confetti then the fireworks, the cash in tease, Orton walking away, hesitating, pedigree and loss.

Perfect, everyone knew it was coming, so that whole post match stuff to tease the crowd. I mean, Hunter staying was a clear sign, but you WANTED to believe in the moment,

Very well played. These writers can come up with some good stuff if they are allowed to long-term-book stuff. Props all around for that one.

BFIB

The entire segment was great, the entire crowd YES-chanting as Bryan powered up for his finisher. Cena taking it head on, literally. The clean pin. The celebration with Cena's passing the torch moment. The streamers and confetti then the fireworks, the cash in tease, Orton walking away, hesitating, pedigree and loss.

Perfect, everyone knew it was coming, so that whole post match stuff to tease the crowd. I mean, Hunter staying was a clear sign, but you WANTED to believe in the moment,

Very well played. These writers can come up with some good stuff if they are allowed to long-term-book stuff. Props all around for that one.

So much this. I always hated reading about how WCW would "book on the fly", and in the meantime, Jericho talked about when he was deciding his future, and WWF literally had numerous storylines written out already for him when he came in.

I wish whoever is behind these decisions (my guess is Vince/Stephanie), long term booking needs to return. Who gives a shit about trying to stay one up on the dirtsheets? Fans like myself, who even know that a certain wrestler is being built up, will still watch what unfolds. Its not about the outcome, its about the journey on the storylines. Make them matter, and we'll be there.

Brock Lesnar fans, watch this enjoyable NJPW match while Bork was their champion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ve2q_njpw-brock-lesnar-vs-giant-bernard_sport?search_algo=2

Giant Bernard was at a high point during this. Just an out-and-out war of big moves with big men. It's a fun one. I've posted it here before but...yeah.

Lesnar is the kind of guy you could build a business on.

looks like i have my watch list for today

Sheamus should have been in Orton's place. Guy can only work as a heel. Randy works as pretty much nothing since he donned his fake Stone Cold persona. But Sheamus is perfect at acting like the bully, and it could work with continuity. Also works with Sheamus being Triple H's first big 'project'

Would have better matches too since Sheamus can go.

yo this would be GREAT. It's too bad Sheamus is injured and gone right now though. never thought i'd say THAT

Toki767

Evolution 2.0

Ziggler - Young blood

Ziggler's been in the WWE for about as long a time as Orton lol.

They'll probably split up the Shield or something and put Ambrose and Reigns in there.

strobogo

Banned
So much this. I always hated reading about how WCW would "book on the fly", and in the meantime, Jericho talked about when he was deciding his future, and WWF literally had numerous storylines written out already for him when he came in.

I wish whoever is behind these decisions (my guess is Vince/Stephanie), long term booking needs to return. Who gives a shit about trying to stay one up on the dirtsheets? Fans like myself, who even know that a certain wrestler is being built up, will still watch what unfolds. Its not about the outcome, its about the journey on the storylines. Make them matter, and we'll be there.

Wait, you're telling me Vince had the storylines with Road Dogg and Chyna already written out and he still agreed to jump ship? He must have really, really hated WCW.

What is that coast to coast from?

The MLWaMania video I linked a few posts above;

Bootaaay said:
Oh awesome, Maffew's done a BotchaMania for MLW;

MLWaMania

The SAT were fucking awful. Also, real sad to see the state of Awesome & Dr. Death.

I now totally remember why I only own one MLW DVD. That Jack Evans vs Sonjay Dutt match is the stuff of legends. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Also, the Texas Wrestling Academy guys were the drizzling shits. It's frankly amazing that Bryan, London & Kendrick came from the same school.

As a fan of wrestling, I honestly love the new WWE title. The personalization aspect is fucking money. It keeps things fresh, clearly identifies the champion, and gets the belt maker constant work.

As a video graphics guy, fuuuuuck that. I have to change the graphic every time there's a title change?! NOAP

Edit: Bootay how dare you, Fast Eddie was awesome, what with the moonsault fallaway slam and being blind as a bat

Darn Tootin'.

Edit: Bootay how dare you, Fast Eddie was awesome, what with the moonsault fallaway slam and being blind as a bat

Oh man, I forgot about Fast Eddie - that moonsault slam was cool as hell and I used to love hearing Punk take the piss out of his blindness on commentary. Guys like Don Juan, Hernandez, Bone Crusher, BioHazard & Oz were so, so bad though.

Also, I just remembered Michael Shane. Dude was pretty good at one point.

Classic Match of the Day:

New Japan Army vs UWF - 5 vs 5 Gauntlet Match - (NJPW 05/01/1986)

New Japan Army: Seiji Sakaguchi, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Shiro Koshinaka & Keiichi Yamada
UWF: Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki

Real classic match here from the granddaddy of all pro-wrestling vs shootsyle feuds as old man Sakaguchi leads out the New Japan Army against Akira Maeda's UWF shooters. There's far too much action to call, the whole thing running over an hour, but suffice to say there's some absolutely fantastic technical wrestling throughout. Nobuhiko Takada starts off for the UWF against a very young & scrawny Keiichi Yamada, who would become Jushin 'Thunder' Liger three years later and the first match alone is a pretty great encounter, but it just gets better from there on out and once Yoshiakia Fujiwara makes his presence known, it really kicks up a gear. A fantastic hour's worth of wrestling from one of the hottest feuds in Japanese pro-wrestling history.

Here's the list of bouts, in case you need help identifying anyone;

Keiichi Yamada vs Nobuhiko Takada
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Nobuhiko Takada
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Kazuo Yamazaki
Seiji Sakaguchi vs Osamu Kido
Osamu Kido vs Shiro Koshinaka
Osamu Kido vs Kengo Kimura
Kengo Kimura vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Tatsumi Fujinami
Tatsumi Fujinami vs Akira Maeda

good shit, Boots. anything involving Maeda is gold.

Oh man, I forgot about Fast Eddie - that moonsault slam was cool as hell and I used to love hearing Punk take the piss out of his blindness on commentary. Guys like Don Juan, Hernandez, Bone Crusher, BioHazard & Oz were so, so bad though.

Also, I just remembered Michael Shane. Dude was pretty good at one point.

Punk being a butthead on commentary was always nice, especially if he had just lost a match and Lovey/Bauer/Gabe would troll him about it like an older brother would make fun of his sibling for losing a fight - 'How's your stomach, Punk!?'

Hernandez was always fun for the midcard stuff. NO IDEA why he has been in TNA forever though.

His crowning moment for me will be ALMOST MURDERING some poor girl in some random music video where he does that stupid crucifix powerbomb toss into a pool, and she literally lands like inches away from the edge of it because he's an idiot and was really far away

Michael Shane was awesome. The first Ultimate X's were fun with the role switches. Him as a heel was pretty slammin' too.

Joeki11a

Banned
WWE coming to Brooklyn again soon
Why are the prices the same?, this is a house show not Raw!
105 dollars for ring side? What? Should be 75 at most,
Unless it will be treated like a Raw with pyro and all that?...

I always think these "wwe live" events are production tone down
House shows but Barclay Center aint some Low budget arena where they wouldnt need big production.

BFIB

Wait, you're telling me Vince had the storylines with Road Dogg and Chyna already written out and he still agreed to jump ship? He must have really, really hated WCW.

I think after he came in is when things started changing, booking wise.

But yeah, I think its best that we all forget that angle ever happened.

Linkified

Evolution 2.0

Ziggler - Young blood

Won't happen based on WWE.com reaction shots from Ziggler. You know who you need the big monster - guess which monster Daniel Bryan hasn't beat. You guessed it Ryback. Woooooooo

WWE coming to Brooklyn again soon
Why are the prices the same?, this is a house show not Raw!
105 dollars for ring side? What? Should be 75 at most,
Unless it will be treated like a Raw with pyro and all that?...

I always think these "wwe live" events are production tone down
House shows but Barclay Center aint some Low budget arena where they wouldnt need big production.

Seeing YouTubes shot at current house shows, they do seem to make it more like a TV now than they used to. It looks like they bring a Tron for the entrance videos, maybe smaller than the TV version but still it's something. Went to a live event in 2005 and there was no pyro, no nothing, just an entrance curtain that wouldn't have looked out of place on a high-end indie show.

The WCW house shows I went to were even worse, they had a black ring and no art on the apron. It could have been any promotion in the world, no indication it was WCW at all. I at least expected the "target" WCW logo from Saturday Night!

Seeing YouTubes shot at current house shows, they do seem to make it more like a TV now than they used to. It looks like they bring a Tron for the entrance videos, maybe smaller than the TV version but still it's something. Went to a live event in 2005 and there was no pyro, no nothing, just an entrance curtain that wouldn't have looked out of place on a high-end indie show.

The WCW house shows I went to were even worse, they had a black ring and no art on the apron. It could have been any promotion in the world, no indication it was WCW at all. I at least expected the "target" WCW logo from Saturday Night!

WWE usually doesn't have pyro for house shows, but they do for some of the big ones.

The house show set they have now though is INCREDIBLE. I fucking love it for smaller venues and stuff. DAT X

Top Bottom