• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

ibcOla6rfhKpVa.gif

I love this Pokemon movie scene.

MoosiferX

Some interesting mixed views of the PPV (and more specifically the results) on here. For me, that was easily the best WWE PPV of the year, and I'm pretty thrilled with how everything turned out. Not only because both Bryan and Orton are on my fantasy team (lol) but because it really makes Bryan the focal point going forward.

I thought the flying knee to finish off Cena was brutal looking, and was kind of surprised re-watching the gifs to see that people weren't really expecting the 3 count. Maybe the impact came across better on TV than it did live?

Punk and Lesnar was god damned phenomenal. I loved that Punk going after Heyman essentially cost him the match. Both main events lived up to the hype for me.

Current post-Summer Slam fave five!

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Ishii Tomohiro
3. CM Punk
4. Mark Henry
5. Yano Toru

strobogo

Banned
I like this..... great expression

money_zps089abf39.gif

He has had such a goofy look on his face for the past 2 years that I can't help but find endearing.

Mel is getting pumped up so he can be the God Damn Batman in Batman vs Superman. Please. Please let that happen.

jmdajr

I thought the flying knee to finish off Cena was brutal looking, and was kind of surprised re-watching the gifs to see that people weren't really expecting the 3 count. Maybe the impact came across better on TV than it did live?

Looking at match again he sets up the Flying knee almost like a super kick. His finisher is born.

Mr. Sam

It's just unusual for WWE wrestlers, particularly Cena, to get pinned by anything but a finisher.

Omega

Banned

It's Cena

I never expect a 3 count. Even when one happens I expect a swerve reverse decision and the match will be restarted

strobogo

Banned
What was Cena/Bryan ranked at? I for sure believe it was on the level of Punk/Bork and should also be 5 stars.

And if you're Booker T, you think Christian/ADR was better than both.

Showaddy

See, the Wyatts are interesting.
While they are a trio, I feel like the whole point of the stable is to get Bray over as a heel.
So putting him on the back burner of any potential feud seems strange.
But I don't know what else face they could go after...

Yeah the Wyatt's aren't really a traditional stable like the shield, Harper & Rowan are just there to support Bray Wyatt.

Hell he only reason the Wyatt family actually became a thing was because Bray couldn't wrestle for 6 months back in 2012 so they needed to give him some muscle to fight for him in order to keep his character from dying out.

Penguin

I think the point is this is Bryan's new finisher, and that "leading" the Yes! chant was akin to his "tuning up the band"

No way it doesn't become one of his finishers.. he pinned John freaking Cena with it!

Nothing more than a Superstar with multiple finishers

Angle
Punk
Taker
Technically The Rock
Cena
I think Sheamus
Heel Orton

strobogo

Banned
He's really needed an impact finisher for a while. He can be a submission dude, but some guys are just too big for the LeBell Lock. A flying knee to the fucking head is a great move that can come out of nowhere against any guy of any size and be legit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say Lesnar/Punk was better than Bryan/Cena but it's also not a big deal which is better. Both delivered, and Cena did work you haven't seen in ages. So good.

Abut 70-something in his 30 years of wrestling journalism.

71 since 1983.

31 for AJPW
8 for AJW
8 for WCW
7 for NJPW
6 for WWE
4 for ROH
2 for AAA
2 for NOAH
1 for JWP
1 for TNA
1 for UWF

Meltzer had such a hard-on for AJPW. I know 90's AJPW was the shit, but he severely underrated a lot of New Japan in the mid-90's.

Not sure if this was posted but the story behind Del Rio black eye:

He didn't press charges against them it seems.

This reminds me of the whole 'HBK got jumped by Marines!' deal way back when

Also, good on Drew for helping a dude out. Sounds like it could've gone bad

Ithil

71 since 1983.

31 for AJPW
8 for AJW
8 for WCW
7 for NJPW
6 for WWE
4 for ROH
2 for AAA
2 for NOAH
1 for JWP
1 for TNA
1 for UWF

Meltzer had such a hard-on for AJPW. I know 90's AJPW was the shit, but he severely underrated a lot of New Japan in the mid-90's.

We're only human I guess.

strobogo

Banned
There was a whole lot of Brock stuff in 2002/2003 that was absolutely worth talking about. And I find it hard to believe there weren't any Benoit/Rey/Guerrero matches that weren't close to 5 stars for Dave.

Off the top of my head, Bork/Taker HIAC, and Bork/Benoit that ended in the Brock Lock were pretty close to 5 stars. As was Bork/Eddie.

Although there certainly was a dearth of 5ish star matches between 2005-2009ish.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There was a whole lot of Brock stuff in 2002/2003 that was absolutely worth talking about. And I find it hard to believe there weren't any Benoit/Rey/Guerrero matches that weren't close to 5 stars for Dave.

Off the top of my head, Bork/Taker HIAC, and Bork/Benoit that ended in the Brock Lock were pretty close to 5 stars. As was Bork/Eddie.

Although there certainly was a dearth of 5ish star matches between 2005-2009ish.

05-09 was indeed a dark period. Ranks up there with 1994 WWE.

I need to closely watch more post-Attitude era matches, 03-05 namely. I know a ton of the Attitude era matches at the height were actually pretty shit.

Didn't see it in here, so I'd like to point everyone to the fantastic adventures of the 24/7 Hardcore Championship

https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT

According to him, Photos are house shows, Vine is TV, and Instagram is for PPV

Green Ant is a butthead and a thief. THUNDERFROG WAS GOING TO BUY A CAR D:

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd much rather see Bryan vs Brock than Orton vs Bryan but whatever. I kind of like that Brock's this outsider figure.

tumblr_mrrpy1ExwQ1rrg3b8o1_500.png

if it was AJ, 'That's from Batman and Robin in case you guys didn't know. #Suchanerd!'

yo he namedropped Damien Wayne?

strobogo

Banned
You shouldn't watch the Attitude Era for match quality. It wasn't about that at all, although I think most of the main events in 1998 delivered. Things were iffy in 1999 because it was Russo at full blast. 2000/2001 were really good in ring wise, though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Watching the 2K14 roster reveal yesterday it was erie how much like Heenan Sandow was. When they showed Hogan, Sandow was saying "boo that man" I thought it was Heenan.

hlhbk

So I watched when flair came out to the ring for the wwe 2k14 roster reveal and had words with Sandow. Is that what he got in trouble for? If so why? He was just being flair?

If there's a new Evolution, I hope Sandow is part of it. That sort of association is exactly what he needs to really be taken seriously as a possible future main eventer, and it would just take a few tweaks to his character to make him fit.

The problem with a new Evolution is that it requires HHH to refer to himself as the "past" component which I don't see his ego permitting. It would be pretty badass although I'm not sure Sandow fits the bill, I could see Big E and AJ as the "future" components, and a few months ago I would've said Ryback as well although I think he's too far gone. Failing that, I say use the entire Shield.

MoosiferX

It's just unusual for WWE wrestlers, particularly Cena, to get pinned by anything but a finisher.

True. For me though, at that point in the match, I felt like any high impact move could've ended it for either guy. I definitely hope that's an alternate finisher for Bryan going forward. I'm not a huge fan of the flying headbutt as a finisher.

It's Cena

I never expect a 3 count. Even when one happens I expect a swerve reverse decision and the match will be restarted

Hah, fair enough! For whatever reason the idea of Super Cena has kind of gone away in my mind over the last couple years. I was so into the match I wasn't really thinking about it, I guess!

JustinBB7

Brock/Punk was amazing. Best match of the night.

Cena/Bryan didn't work for me personally. So many rest holds, a few botched moves, Cena talking super loud again to Bryan.

Also HHH was staying around way too long, knew something was coming. For a second I almossstt thought he just wanted to share the spotlight a bit, after the confetti and shit. But then I was like really? Why would he stay for that, those are usually the highlight video/pictures WWE likes to replay a million times.

Also in b4 Evolution.

Omega

Banned
True. For me though, at that point in the match, I felt like any high impact move could've ended it for either guy. I definitely hope that's an alternate finisher for Bryan going forward. I'm not a huge fan of the flying headbutt as a finisher.

Hah, fair enough! For whatever reason the idea of Super Cena has kind of gone away in my mind over the last couple years. I was so into the match I wasn't really thinking about it, I guess!

I don't really watch Cena matches anymore because in the back of my mind, I feel like I always know how it's going to end.

A) He wins. This is 95% likely to happen
B) He loses, but gets redemptions and overcomes the odds shortly after

JustinBB7

I don't really watch Cena matches anymore because in the back of my mind, I feel like I always know how it's going to end.

A) He wins. This is 95% likely to happen
B) He loses, but gets redemptions and overcomes the odds shortly after

Or just gets up and pretends like the match didn't happen. (like this one)

strobogo

Banned
So I watched when flair came out to the ring for the wwe 2k14 roster reveal and had words with Sandow. Is that what he got in trouble for? If so why? He was just being flair?

No. I'm sure that was planned. They're mad at him for completely hijacking the panel, ruining all the things they had planned for it, saying things like Cena drinks 30 beers in a 5 hour road trip because of him and taking a very awkward and uncalled for dig at Daniel Bryan.

hlhbk

No. I'm sure that was planned. They're mad at him for completely hijacking the panel, ruining all the things they had planned for it, saying things like Cena drinks 30 beers in a 5 hour road trip because of him and taking a very awkward and uncalled for dig at Daniel Bryan.

So there was a seperate event outside of the roster reveal? Do you have a link to the video for this cause I can't find it and I watched the full 1 hour roster reveal.

Top Bottom