• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

mouserat

Neo Member
I don't know why 'a shoot' and 'acceptable on TV' need to be mutually exclusive. he said some stuff on there that was close to the bone but he did it in character and didn't damage the company. seems odd to me they cut him off when he insulted HHH and Stephanie and started to talk about Vince and the Be A Star stuff. seems from this quote Hs is just trying to appear more in control of that situation than he was.

Sokantish

I don't know why 'a shoot' and 'acceptable on TV' need to be mutually exclusive. he said some stuff on there that was close to the bone but he did it in character and didn't damage the company. seems odd to me they cut him off when he insulted HHH and Stephanie and started to talk about Vince and the Be A Star stuff. seems from this quote Hs is just trying to appear more in control of that situation than he was.

or they cut it when the time was up, maybe?

Who in the world thought that was a "shoot"? It might have broken the fourth wall but I'm sure everyone knew from the start that Punk was very much authorized to do his promo.
I think bean breath is required to go back in time to the moment of The Shoot and find out who actually thought it was real.

Next you'll tell me Trips was lying about Total Divas!

On another note given what you've all said about Nakamura (especially Xeno) I'll give him another chance and start looking for some of his stuff outside of G1.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
To me it sounds like HHH is merely saying Punk didn't go out their unplanned, which is what CM Punk said himaelf on the DVD. They would have cut the feed if he went out unplanned.

The real question is if CM Punk's feed getting cut at the end was planned or unplanned.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To me it sounds like HHH is merely saying Punk didn't go out their unplanned, which is what CM Punk said himaelf on the DVD. They would have cut the feed if he went out unplanned.

The real question is if CM Punk's feed getting cut at the end was planned or unplanned.

Of course it was planned! They showed the logo a decent amount of time before - so they could cut immediately and make people think it was cut off.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Confession: I've never listened to Stone Cold's podcast. I have an 8 hour car ride next week and need to fill the time.....give me his greatest hits.

FYI, Vs. The Fly is already on the list.

Little Egypt, so you can learn about GLOW.
Samoa Joe or Kevin Nash part 1, depending on which you are more interested in.
Razor Ramon 1 and 2.
Diamond Dallas Page 1 and 2, after you finish Razor Ramon.
Kurt Angle, if you are interested in his pre-Pro Wrestling days.

Or Punk's DVD was a lot more in character and storyline than you marks would like to admit.

Exactly. Anything involving WWE was as in character as it gets.

Punk wasn't negotiating at the very end before MITB, that's junk. It's just cover for the story to get -everyone- hooked, not just some.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Of course it was planned! They showed the logo a decent amount of time before - so they could cut immediately and make people think it was cut off.
Well, either way, I knew he knew it was allowed and it was watered down because it's not like he dropped a bunch of f bombs and such. So I never considered it a legit shoot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'd give a lot for the new Yakuza game to hit Vita instead of a normal console. I like being able to put shit down and then start up where I was again instantly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
rofl what does it matter? you aint getting that shit localized either way

ij6hGYX.png

somedevil

Some TNA news about their financial situation:

AJ Styles' contract with TNA will be ending very soon. Unlike in the past with TNA however this is not a case of a contract expiring abruptly. Styles and TNA management have been in talks for a new deal for a while now. They have yet to agree on a new deal but discussions are ongoing. But there is a very real possibility that Styles will leave TNA and there is only one reason for that: Money.

TNA is working under a budget more now than they ever have in the past and when that is the case, hard choices have to be made. While everyone I spoke to in TNA told me that they want AJ to stay, it will come down to whether the deal makes sense to them financially. From AJ's perspective, he has over a decade of service and goodwill with the company. Like anyone in that position, he doesn't want to stay even or go backward financially. TNA management understands that but they also realize that they don't have unlimited finances and thus have to spend their money as judiciously as possible. They want AJ to stay but they also understand that if he can get a better deal for his family, he should take it and move on.

The company has set an objective recently to try and uncover young talent. Going foward, they will be looking for young workers to add to their roster. The sad reality of the situation is that after a decade in TNA, their audience has plateaued. It could be that AJ's experience and tenure have priced him out of TNA. If they can bring in four or five guys for the price of his contract, it is something that they have to consider.

There are at least two other wrestlers being affected by the new reality of TNA right now as well. They are Ken Anderson and the person that loses the fall of tonight's match on Impact. Anderson is in a similar situation to AJ in that the sides are still talking and it could go either way but will probably go down to the wire. The person that loses tonight's fall is said to be leaving in the next month or two.

Basically AJ Styles wants more money in a time that TNA has none. Also, Ken Anderson contract is almost up but he should stay because WWE will not take him back because of Orton. Also,
Devon
is done tonight.

Kaladin

Some TNA news about their financial situation:

Basically AJ Styles wants more money in a time that TNA has none. Also, Ken Anderson contract is almost up but he should stay because WWE will not take him back because of Orton. Also,
Devon
is done tonight.

I can't blame AJ for wanting to leave when TNA will still employ big money superstars like Hulk Hogan, Sting and Kurt Angle who are adding little more than name value to their product. If I were AJ, I would hold out for what I wanted and take nothing less.

strobogo

Banned
AJ made enough money from TNA that he could get a Batpod.

ibb7N58evkdINS.gif

He really is the Sting of TNA, not just because of him doing the Crow thing this year, but because he was carrying the company on his back with no complaints, a guy who never left, yet TNA pushed him aside for every cast off they could get from WWE. And he never complained. It's a real shame he never got the real chance to showcase his talents on the big stage, but I feel like it is late for him to get thrown into the WWE machine. I don't think he's well known enough that he can instantly be an over guy. I don't think he's a guy that WWE would bring in with no NXT type of retraining, yet he's actually already older than Punk/Dragon/Cena.

jred2k

TNA is trying to go super-meta and actually get rid of A&8's as a threat by just not paying them. Its a daring new direction, but I'm fully on board.

If it's more money he's after, he'll probably want a shot at WWE. However, I could see him being of some use in New Japan - the Jr. heavyweight division is kinda stuck at the moment, as the champion (Devitt) is now a full-time heavyweight and has no defences lined up. It was obvious that Taguchi was going to go over Devitt in the Super Jr's final, had he not been injured, so I could see someone like AJ working as the face to Devitt's heel. Have him liberate the title from Devitt and keep it warm until Taguchi's ready to come back, plus, we could see some cool defences like AJ vs Ibushi, AJ vs Shelley or AJ vs KUSHIDA in the meantime. The only problem with that is that AJ has no real presence in Japan. He wrestled for ZERO1 a decade ago and had a few New Japan matches when they were doing that exchange with TNA, most noticeably against Hiroshi Tanahashi, but I don't know whether they can use that and his multiple-time TNA champion status to make people give a damn. On the other hand, they made the Japanese fans believe the NWA Title was still relevant, so it could work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If it's more money he's after, he'll probably want a shot at WWE. However, I could see him being of some use in New Japan - the Jr. heavyweight division is kinda stuck at the moment, as the champion (Devitt) is now a full-time heavyweight and has no defences lined up. It was obvious that Taguchi was going to go over Devitt in the Super Jr's final, had he not been injured, so I could see someone like AJ working as the face to Devitt's heel. Have him liberate the title from Devitt and keep it warm until Taguchi's ready to come back, plus, we could see some cool defences like AJ vs Ibushi, AJ vs Shelley or AJ vs KUSHIDA in the meantime. The only problem with that is that AJ has no real presence in Japan. He wrestled for ZERO1 a decade ago and had a few New Japan matches when they were doing that exchange with TNA, most noticeably against Hiroshi Tanahashi, but I don't know whether they can use that and his multiple-time TNA champion status to make people give a damn. On the other hand, they made the Japanese fans believe the NWA Title was still relevant, so it could work.

I don't know if WWE would even bother with him. Maybe as a trainer, but he's far too much work to build at this point compared to his high skill level. He could always be a new Bullet Club member...

Lol, Backstreet Bo's;

qZQY2sn.png

I don't know if WWE would even bother with him. Maybe as a trainer, but he's far too much work to build at this point compared to his high skill level. He could always be a new Bullet Club member...

Devitt needs someone to feud with and the Bullet Club's getting kinda full; Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Terrible & Ray Bucanero. I really just hope they aren't going to have Devitt hold onto the belt until Taguchi's back from injury. I understand that they wanted to have Taguchi overcoming his former tag partner, but it sucks that the Jr. title is in limbo.

I think the only way they could make AJ work in the 'E is if they fully reference his role in TNA. And sadly, I just don't think that they'd do something like that for him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Devitt needs someone to feud with and the Bullet Club's getting kinda full; Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Terrible & Ray Bucanero. I really just hope they aren't going to have Devitt hold onto the belt until Taguchi's back from injury. I understand that they wanted to have Taguchi overcoming his former tag partner, but it sucks that the Jr. title is in limbo.

Nobody would want to see Styles as a babbyface over there. I wouldn't think so at least.

Striker

I don't think he's a guy that WWE would bring in with no NXT type of retraining, yet he's actually already older than Punk/Dragon/Cena.
Younger than Cena, one year older than Punk, though Bryan is still four years younger than both Cena and Styles.

I wouldn't suspect he would get a big, significant push, but most likely shoved into the US or IC picture. If he's fine with that for a couple years and for decent money he should jump to it. It's a shame TNA huddle so hard with Hogan/Bischoff, or it's Spike's fault, because it's been weakening the company. Before they arrived it was an enjoyable show.

somedevil

Does AJ even play a heel well? I haven't watched TNA all year.

Well when he was with Ric Flair and played Ric Flair Jr and it didn't work. When he was a heel under fortune he was pretty good but he still wrestled like a face. The depressed emo sting character he playing now is a total fail but he finally realized how to wrestle like a heel.

He gets over by is Ring work and not promo skills. Also, how much does New Japan pay there workers anyway? AJ want the money but Karl Anderson still takes Independent dates but Devitt doesn't. Does that mean Devitt makes more than him?

Top Bottom