• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

strobogo

Banned
No, the whole point of a cage match is to keep the competitors IN the ring, and keep everyone else out. It's so the heel can't run away or have his buddies interfere.

No, the whole point of a cage match is to keep the competitors IN the ring, and keep everyone else out. It's so the heel can't run away or have his buddies interfere.

If that were the case then surely their buddies being able to climb into the cage like the competitors are able to climb out is a major oversight akin to the ring of fire one at Summerslam. I like the point of the match being that one wrestler has to incapacitate the other for so long that they're able to cleanly escape the cage.

strobogo

Banned
Cage matches lost all impact years and years ago. WWE always did escape rules just so they could have cheap finishes on house shows. NWA always did them better and escape rules are stupid unless the heel wins. But heels really shouldn't win cage matches, nor should cage matches happen as a face punishment match .

Edgeward

Bret/Owen Hart at Summerslam is still the best ending to a cage match I've seen.

Saw Tamina/Paige round 1 of the diva tournament. How is Paige not called up yet? She moves around the ring well and is a natural. And is pretty to boot.

Also, for a daughter of Superfly, Tamina does the worst splash I've ever seen

RBH

catch.gif

flip.gif

turnbuckle.gif

strobogo

Banned
NXT is all entertainment, except for Bo. If you don't enjoy NXT, you probably don't like wrestling very much. It's JCP/CWF, but with top indie talent and WWE production. Anyone who doesn't like that is a JERK.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NXT is all entertainment, except for Bo. If you don't enjoy NXT, you probably don't like wrestling very much. It's JCP/CWF, but with top indie talent and WWE production. Anyone who doesn't like that is a JERK.

Watched NXT for the first time ever due to all the praise for this weeks episode and it did not disappoint. That Zayn/Cesaro match was amazing.

strobogo

Banned
You need to go back at least 2 months, but I would start from the start of the year. There is so much goodness on NXT this year. All those months of bad Raws and filler Smackdowns had great NXT shows.

I had heard of Claudio on the web over the years, but had never seen any of his matches before. HOW is WWE using this guy as a jobber on their main TV? He's so good on NXT it's ridiculous.

i am legit fucking shook watching this

SO GOOD

You knew Cesaro would counter when he caught Zayn on the DDT, never did I expect him to fucking hulk out whilst running around the ring and then launch Sami into Swiss Death. It was the most legit shock moment I could think of.

On another note I think this was my favourite of the 3 MOTY WWE candidates this week because both men worked and looked great. No matter how much I like Punk in the ring he chooses to use strikes a his main offence and they mostly look like shit, then you have Cena being Cena. Where as Cesaro/Zayn worked at a really nice pace (I loved the idea of making your opponent pass out in a 2 out of 3 falls match) and both wrestlers offence looked stellar throughout the match.

Edgeward

I have never seen a WWE crowd into a women's match like Emma vs Paige. Dueling chants and This is Awesome chants, what a great crowd. And the match itself was terrific. They need call these two up.

DrZeus

Seeing those questionable Fabulous One gifs made me think of a southern tag team I loved to watch. The Fantastics were so fun, but never really got anywhere since everyone looked at them as RnR clones. They were much better workers then them and most other American teams of the 80s.

strobogo

Banned
I hope Claudio's choke gets over as something serious. It looks vicious. And his double stomps. And uppercuts. And super Karelin lifts. And everything.

Punk, Dragon, and Claudio are running way with the WWE MOTYC. I think the second Claudio/Generico match could be a bottom of the top 10 MOTYC. It was really good.

Without giving any looks back for things I've forgotten, my rankings for the year would be:

1. Bork vs Punk
2. Bryan vs Cena
3. Cesaro/Zayn 2/3 Falls
4. Punk vs Cena
5. Cesaro vs Bryan
6. Punk vs Taker
7. Christan vs ADR Summerslam
8. Cesaro vs Zayn II
9. Shield vs Kofi/Sheamus/Orton
10. Idk. Maybe BoD vs Shield.

Lunchbox

Banned
You need to go back at least 2 months, but I would start from the start of the year. There is so much goodness on NXT this year. All those months of bad Raws and filler Smackdowns had great NXT shows.
I stopped watching nxt after the diva only season where that cunt aj came out of

never again

I stopped watching nxt after the diva only season where that cunt aj came out of

never again

The new nxt is basically FCW re-branded, it has nothing to do with the old nxt.

Some guys here liked season 5 of nxt, but you should avoid it, and focus on the new nxt.

It started on August 2012.

Wow friends, a shiver just ran up my spine. Mixed martial artist Wanderlei Silva just cut the hottest promo in any sport since Dusty Rhodes' "Hard Times".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tg0eSdFcE

Absolutely chilling. I'm legit shook right now.

Saw this last night and that fight went from something I had no interest in snoring through, to something I'd love to see. Pity it'd probably just end up with Chael wrestlefucking Wanderlei for 15 minutes.

If that were the case then surely their buddies being able to climb into the cage like the competitors are able to climb out is a major oversight akin to the ring of fire one at Summerslam. I like the point of the match being that one wrestler has to incapacitate the other for so long that they're able to cleanly escape the cage.

You think that's an oversight and yet you're fine with the idea of one wrestler running away in what's meant to be a grudge match? Escape rules only make sense in a "wrestling is fake bullshit" kind of way.

JustinBB7

I watched old NXT, first 3/4 seasons, but then I got burned out from the WWE/TNA/ROH overload and cut down a bit.

Cessaro was amazing in ROH, just like Beard & Punk of course, wish they could show more of that style. Though it looks Cessaro did in that NXT match.

Marvel

could never
Never want to see Chris Sabin as world heavyweight champion ever again.

As for NXT it really is incredible these days.

Classic Match of the Day:

Verne Gagne (c) vs Billy Robinson - 2/3 Falls - (IWE 11/20/1974)

OK, this is all kinds of awesome. AWA World Heavyweight Champion Verne Gagne puts his title on the line in Japan against his rival Billy Robinson in a 2 out of 3 falls match. I can't recall watching much of Gagne's work, but despite looking like an ageing used car salesman, Verne is clearly a technical master and a proper grappler whose skills demand the utmost respect, which is exactly what Billy shows him. But Robinson is far from a slouch, a fantastic technical wrestler in his own right, his youth, size and strength all pose some serious problems for the AWA champ. The opening minutes are great, as both guys trade holds back and forth, attempting to gain some advantage. Verne works on the neck, softening Billy up for the sleeper, while Robinson targets Gagne's back, setting up for his huge backbreaker. All the falls are fantastically worked and the crowd are going nuts for the finish. Probably one of the best 2/3 Falls matches I've ever seen.

Without giving any looks back for things I've forgotten, my rankings for the year would be:

1. Bork vs Punk
2. Bryan vs Cena
3. Cesaro/Zayn 2/3 Falls
4. Punk vs Cena
5. Cesaro vs Bryan
6. Punk vs Taker
7. Christan vs ADR Summerslam
8. Cesaro vs Zayn II
9. Shield vs Kofi/Sheamus/Orton
10. Idk. Maybe BoD vs Shield.

I agree on the top 8. I'm sure were missing some other stand outs. WWE is having a good year.

I wish the same could be said about TNA. But it seems all doom and gloom right now with the personnel cuts, Sabin's title run, Aces and 8, Dark AJ, MMA involvement, etc. I couldn't even name 5 TNA MOTY besides the Kim/Terrell TLC.

You think that's an oversight and yet you're fine with the idea of one wrestler running away in what's meant to be a grudge match? Escape rules only make sense in a "wrestling is fake bullshit" kind of way.

I think running away's fine for a heel in a grudge match and them trying to run before their opponent's down sets up for some big grudge match spots. As I said the face winning wouldn't be about running away but incapacitating their opponent for long enough that they're able to get out. Though maybe my brain's wired wrong and that only makes sense to me, I just remember always being more excited for escape victories when I was younger and being disappointed when somebody won through any other means.

strobogo

Banned
But that's not how they're worked in WWE. The face usually tries to bolt with in the first few minutes, even if they are the ones that requested the cage match to beat the shit out of the heel. Cage matches should either be about two guys wanting to kill each other who can't be contained any other way, OR the heel trying to run away and realizing he can't, leading to a big OH SHIT moment and an epic beatdown.

For years they've basically just been regular matches with someone getting rammed into the cage a few times. Just like no DQ matches only use tables and kendo sticks now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Match of the Day:

Verne Gagne (c) vs Billy Robinson - 2/3 Falls - (IWE 11/20/1974)

OK, this is all kinds of awesome. AWA World Heavyweight Champion Verne Gagne puts his title on the line in Japan against his rival Billy Robinson in a 2 out of 3 falls match. I can't recall watching much of Gagne's work, but despite looking like an ageing used car salesman, Verne is clearly a technical master and a proper grappler whose skills demand the utmost respect, which is exactly what Billy shows him. But Robinson is far from a slouch, a fantastic technical wrestler in his own right, his youth, size and strength all pose some serious problems for the AWA champ. The opening minutes are great, as both guys trade holds back and forth, attempting to gain some advantage. Verne works on the neck, softening Billy up for the sleeper, while Robinson targets Gagne's back, setting up for his huge backbreaker. All the falls are fantastically worked and the crowd are going nuts for the finish. Probably one of the best 2/3 Falls matches I've ever seen.

This was really something. I never got to watch a lot of Gagne either but boy, he's really fun to watch. Crowd always helps. Thanks for sharing - really good stuff, though dated.

What a fuckin weiner.

I think running away's fine for a heel in a grudge match and them trying to run before their opponent's down sets up for some big grudge match spots. As I said the face winning wouldn't be about running away but incapacitating their opponent for long enough that they're able to get out. Though maybe my brain's wired wrong and that only makes sense to me, I just remember always being more excited for escape victories when I was younger and being disappointed when somebody won through any other means.

But that's not how they're worked in WWE. The face usually tries to bolt with in the first few minutes, even if they are the ones that requested the cage match to beat the shit out of the heel. Cage matches should either be about two guys wanting to kill each other who can't be contained any other way, OR the heel trying to run away and realizing he can't, leading to a big OH SHIT moment and an epic beatdown.

For years they've basically just been regular matches with someone getting rammed into the cage a few times. Just like no DQ matches only use tables and kendo sticks now.

Cage matches in WWE need to be repurposed.

With Sin Cara in the dumps I think they screwed up by taking the mask off Zayn.

Dude seems like the masked wrestler WWE wants Cara to be. He can actually wrestling without killing himself or others AND he speaks English.

He can be goofy so kids will probably love him so I bet replica masks would sell.

Ithil

They did the right thing in unmasking Zayn. He's charismatic and likable, and his facials in matches are great.

The Mysterio replacement should be a guy that needs the mask to stand out, whether it be due to size or lack of speaking ability, or whatever. Samuray Del Sol is really small, (like 5'6), he would probably look silly in WWE without a mask, but with a mask, he'd look like a cool masked guy doing impressive flips to take down his bigger opponents.

strobogo

Banned

Either he was gacked out of his mind, or he's got some kind of Parkinson's type disease bubbling over. I my mind leads towards gacked due to his past decade or so, but either way, that's pretty uncomfortable.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Japan was the only place to watch AWA guys. AWA in America was boring, old man wrestling. AWA in Japan was top level technical awesome. Bockwinkel was really the only guy who was as good in America as he was in the US. But everyone else did their best work either in Japan or other territories. Bock is also probably the most underrated guy of the 70s and 80s. It's a shame he stayed in the AWA forever as opposed to branching out. He was for sure better than Flair.

Fuck it, might as well do my top 10 for the year so far - it's pretty telling that no indie matches have managed to sneak in this year, WWE & New Japan have been just too damn good;

01. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
02. John Cena (c) vs Daniel Bryan
03. CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar
04. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada
05. CM Punk vs The Undertaker
06. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kota Ibushi
07. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki
08. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii
09. Daniel Bryan vs Antonio Cesaro
10. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Karl Anderson

Woah, what the fuck? Dude's on the bennies.

Linkified

With Sin Cara in the dumps I think they screwed up by taking the mask off Zayn.

Dude seems like the masked wrestler WWE wants Cara to be. He can actually wrestling without killing himself or others AND he speaks English.

He can be goofy so kids will probably love him so I bet replica masks would sell.

He can still put a mask on when he gets called up to the big leagues.

a cage without ceiling, under the pro-wrestling reality, make sense since it's supposed to lead to the spot where the heel is about to escape and the face pursues him and they trade punches and a big spot. don't really have a problem with it.

He can still put a mask on when he gets called up to the big leagues.

Yes, but it would actually be a waste at this point, which is funny because I and many others were really against him dropping the Generico gimmick. However, from everything I've seen of Zayn so far, the guy is just so natural in the babyface role that it would certainly be wasteful to put him back under a mask.

strobogo

Banned
a cage without ceiling, under the pro-wrestling reality, make sense since it's supposed to lead to the spot where the heel is about to escape and the face pursues him and they trade punches and a big spot. don't really have a problem with it.

But why does the face try to escape early on? Why are cage matches now usually booked as punishment to faces, yet the heels try to escape right away? Cage matches have been fucking lame for years. The last good ones in WWE that I can remember were the BLOOD BATH of HHH vs Flair and the Edge vs Grape Hardy one that was the stiff fight it needed to be.

I swear there have been feuds that STARTED in a cage match in the past few years.

I'm also a guy who was super against Generico losing the mask, but he's pretty great with out it, so I don't mind. His promo style reminds me a lot of Kevin Steen.

Cage escapes are fine, you just need to pick the right finish for the right scenario.

In a grudge match where the babyface wants to get his hands on the heel, it's acceptable for the heel to escape.
In a match where the babyface is put up against a monster heel, it's acceptable for the babyface to escape.
In a big feud-ending match, it's unacceptable for either heel or face to escape and the match should end by normal means.

But, in general, cage escapes should be discouraged. The babyface should only ever be trying to escape if he's out-sized in a match-up no one expects him to win. The heel should only ever be trying to escape when the babyface fires back and is in with a chance of beating him, but only IF the heel has a cowardly streak. It pisses me off that in situations like that, the heel always becomes a coward these days. There are no monster heels left, certainly not in WWE.

bjork

My favorite cage match was Bret/Owen, but I think the best one is Luger/Brody. If Brody would've been serious, Luger was toast.

I've never actually seen the Brody/Luger match, but I know the gist of it and how Brody stopped working because Hiro Matsuda had told him to make Lex look bad, as he was leaving the Florida territory to go work for Crockett.

I always liked the Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard steel cage I Quit match, although the cage was only really there to contain the violence;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32jse

The Aja Kong vs Bull Nakano cage match is a classic as well;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i99nPWsz7-Y

Top Bottom