• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Kaladin

New Japan just doesn't appeal to me in the same way Dragon Gate Japan or NOAH doesn't. If I can't follow the commentary and angles even if the match is good I find myself loosing interest. I guess I'm just not invested in any of the characters like I am with US based promotions.

I would probably be more into it if it was subbed or had someone doing English commentary. I actually hope New Japan is heading that way as it builds it's overseas audience. Offering those smaller shows as a cheaper iPPV is a good sign of a growing audience.

sd spoilerzzz

The Shield and Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry, The Big Show, Rob Van Dam, and Daniel Bryan is announced as the 8 man tag main event tonight, I think it's for the live crowd only, but we will see.

Smackdown:
The Miz out for Miz TV in his wrestling trunks. I am gonna guess this will lead to a match. Miz introduces The Big Show, then Dolph Ziggler. All three off trying to talk but don't want to...

Out comes Triple H and asks Miz if he wanted to say something. Triple H says, Why aren't you wearing a suit? Miz says you never know when a fight will break out. Triple H says why does everyone want to make this personal? Crowd is chanting "You Sold Out" which I don't get - Ha. HHH says Randy Orton is the future and is what's best for business. Big "No No No" chants. Triple H says, "Trust me, if I say it's Yes, it's Yes."

Triple H says since he is a good guy he is gonna give Miz an opportunity against Randy Orton tonight. He tells Dolph Ziggler will face The Shield in a Handicap Match. Triple H taunts The Big Show and says he is giving him the night off and tells him to sit by the announce table and watch every single thing that happens in the ring tonight and to not do nothing about it and continues to get in his face.

Hot crowd, this would of been great for RAW last night.

MIz vs. Randy Orton.

The Miz backdrops Randy Orton out of the ring . Sierra! Hotel! India! Echo! Lima! Delta! Shield! They make their way down through the crowd and it took forever since the steps are so far up and they position themselves watching the ramp like the last couple weeks . Massive Big Show chants but he looks on in frustration. Randy Orton with another headlock. Pretty long match, So far Miz has occupied about 45 minutes of the show. RKO by Randy Orton. He beats The Miz clean. The Shield begins to attack The Miz and Daniel Bryan out for the save swinging a chair The Arena is going nuts!!!!!

Los Matadores video.

Video of Las Vegas strip.

Vickie Guerreo on the big screen with Daniel Bryan. She says Daniel Bryan was a bully and bullied The Shield and Randy Orton and in her world, bullies get bullied back. She makes Daniel Bryan vs. Ryback for tonight. Ryback says, 'See you out there, shrimp'.

Ricardo Rodriguez introduces Rob Van Dam and his opponent ... Damien Sandow Sandow says what happens in Vegas won't stay in Vegas. 'You're Welcome' RVD with a kick to the face ... 2 count .... RVD wins with the Five Star Frog Splash ....

Alberto Del Rio's music hits. He's out with suit and scarf. He says RVD only got a title match because of Ricardo Rodriguez and that he betrayed his people, the Latinos. ADR says when you get in bed with dogs you get fleas. He says RVD may have rolling thunder but he will make it rain.

Ziggler vs. The Sheld

The Shield out from the same steps ... long way down ..... Dolph Ziggler out but doesn't shake his butt so he must be serious and yes The Big Show is still sitting next to the announcers holding his head down in concern. Roman Reigns blind tags Seth Rollins and spears Dolph Ziggler for the win. The Shield taunt The Big Show by Triple Powerbomb on Dolph. The crowd going nuts for Big Show who just sits in his chair ....

Paul Heyman and Curtis Axel out next . Recap of RAW beatdown of CM Punk. Heyman says WWE is virtually guaranteeing if you buy Night of Champions that he will get a beat down by CM Punk and that he is scared out of his mind. He says if Punk gets his hands on him that we may never see Paul Heyman again but he and Axel will own CM Punk at Night of Champions.

Follow The Buzzards! Wyatt Family is up next.

Tons of Funk out to the ring with no disco ball. Full dance routine. "We're here". It's Harper and Rowan against Tensai and Brodus Clay with Bray Wyatt sitting in a rocking chair .... and yes Big Show still sitting next to the announcers ..... Wyatts win Rowan does a splash on Tensai .... Bray Wyatt then mails Tensai with his finisher.
Big Show now chatting it up with Michael Cole while the crew changes the ring mats.

Footage of AJ's promo on RAW.

Daniel Bryan vs. Ryback

Randy Orton makes his way to the ring mid match . Funny 'Ryback, Be A Star' sign in the front row. Daniel Bryan gets Ryback in the Yes Lock and Orton interferes for the DQ. Orton gets put in the Yes Lock ... out comes The Shield and they beat the cheap out of Daniel Bryan with The Big Show pacing and finally entering the ring to stand over Bryan .... out comes Triple H and screams at Show to leave the ring which he does to a chorus of boooossss....doesn't Big Show have a iron clad contract in which he can't get fired? I could of sworn he was boasting about that last year - ha!

The Shield and Orton proceed to beat down Daniel Bryan. Triple Powerbomb on Bryan Orton gets spray paint and sprays NO over Bryan's front. Orton holds belt over Bryan. End of Smackdown.

Big Show's music hits and this is the dark match ..... Somebody Gonna Get They Ass Kicked .... Mark Henry with RVD are out next .... Bryan is helped to the back .... looks like its 3 on 4.

Pretty good Smackdown, great crowd in Vegas, the whole upper section was tarped off.

Randy Orton takes a seat where Big Show was sitting all night during match. Daniel Bryan runs back out, flying drop kick to Rollins then the running knee .... RVD with the Five Star Frog Splash on Rollins for the pin ... Crowd goes home happy!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Japan just doesn't appeal to me in the same way Dragon Gate Japan or NOAH doesn't. If I can't follow the commentary and angles even if the match is good I find myself loosing interest. I guess I'm just not invested in any of the characters like I am with US based promotions.

I would probably be more into it if it was subbed or had someone doing English commentary. I actually hope New Japan is heading that way as it builds it's overseas audience. Offering those smaller shows as a cheaper iPPV is a good sign of a growing audience.

What you're saying is that Cole and JBL are more important than the in-ring work. RIGHT?

Kaladin

What you're saying is that Cole and JBL are more important than the in-ring work. RIGHT?

I'm saying a connection with the action is just as important. Commentary and knowing the backgrounds of characters and the story behind things gives me a connection to the action going on in the ring.

As an example, I find it somewhat easier to watch Dragon Gate Japan after being exposed to some of their stars in the US, but I still feel super lost when trying to digest their product beyond what I'm familiar with.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Orton gets spray paint and sprays NO over Bryan's front

FUCKING LOL.

image.php

Couldn't resist. ;)

Mr. Sandman said:
I'm saying a connection with the action is just as important. Commentary and knowing the backgrounds of characters and the story behind things gives me a connection to the action going on in the ring.

I can understand the need for English commentary (especially for Dragon Gate and its convoluted stable madness), even if it's something that doesn't appeal to me personally - the background information is something that becomes evident as you view the product, but I get that some people don't want to muddle through without having it all explained to them and commentary is the best way to do that and, surely, the biggest barrier to New Japan's international appeal.

That being said, the angles in New Japan are mostly self-explanatory, so I rarely find the lack of English to be a problem, but it would be nice to get that extra bit of insight (good) commentators can provide. I mean, look at the Destruction card - ALL of the angles there are either 'this guy beat the champ in the G1 and now he gets a title shot' or 'this guy lost to that guy in the G1 and now he wants revenge'. It's really that simple, everything else is character based or follows on directly from the last show.

i'm the opposite. i mute commentary.

jmdajr

I'm tempted, but I will wait for the new Nexus 10. The design is interesting. Also first Ninty handheld I don't own since the GB color. The same goes for console. Rather have a tablet then handheld these days.

You know if it really was for kids, I wouldn't even have digital downloads on there.

Thing I like about my old GBA SP, the 1 year old can "play" with it and I don't have to worry about her messing around with anything.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
You know if it really was for kids, I wouldn't even have digital downloads on there.

Thing I like about my old GBA SP, the 1 year old can "play" with it and I don't have to worry about her messing around with anything.

Use parental controls?

Most kids and parents are perfectly fine with downloading shit from App Stores like the eShop.

At least the 2DS cements my decision to upgrade to the 3DS XL when the time comes.

sd spoilerzzz

I'm going to be so hyped for when Show eventually storms the ring and punches everyone in the face, then he'll probably continue punching everyone including Bryan to reveal yet another Show Heel Turn because it's Big Show and that's the story of his career

Aiii

So not worth it
sd spoilerzzz

Out comes Triple H and asks Miz if he wanted to say something. Triple H says, Why aren't you wearing a suit? Miz says you never know when a fight will break out. Triple H says why does everyone want to make this personal? Crowd is chanting "You Sold Out" which I don't get - Ha. HHH says Randy Orton is the future and is what's best for business. Big "No No No" chants. Triple H says, "Trust me, if I say it's Yes, it's Yes."

Triple H says since he is a good guy he is gonna give Miz an opportunity against Randy Orton tonight. He tells Dolph Ziggler will face The Shield in a Handicap Match. Triple H taunts The Big Show and says he is giving him the night off and tells him to sit by the announce table and watch every single thing that happens in the ring tonight and to not do nothing about it and continues to get in his face.

Ugh. Roll on October.

Classic Match of the Day:

Genichiro Tenryu (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - Triple Crown Championship - (AJPW 1989.10.11)

Tenryu has been Triple Crown Champion for about 4 months at this point. It's his first reign with the top belt in the company and the fans are behind him. He's finally made it and is looking forward to a long and illustrious reign, after successfully defending the belts against Yoshiaki Yatsu and Terry Gordy. However, Jumbo Tsuruta is not quite ready to pass the torch. Still immensely popular, Jumbo has been the one big roadblock to Tenryu's career thus far. It was a struggle just to get the title off Jumbo (and, hell, Jumbo nearly killed him in their first match with a botched folding powerbomb), but now the old man wants his belts back and, this time, he is not fucking around. He makes that perfectly clear early on as, while Tenryu tries to act the honourable champion, Jumbo just wants to FIGHT. He's almost acting the heel here in his desperation to reclaim the title. Can Tenryu keep his title reign alive? Can Jumbo prove that he's still the man? Watch and find out.

strobogo

Banned
NJPW commentary is the best. It sounds like solid MMA commentary, but with EXPLODAAAHHH and LARIATTOOOOOOO thrown in once in a while. OHHHHHHHhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH. Dingnonegomus. That's the phonetic spelling of what is said when you get back in the ring in KOCII. I hear it a lot.

INVASION3.png

The commentary isn't what makes it hard for me to get into NJPW, it's the sameness through out the whole show. Nak is really the best dude because he has so much more personality. The whole roster needs to start doing blow.

XenoRaven

NJPW commentary is the best. It sounds like solid MMA commentary, but with EXPLODAAAHHH and LARIATTOOOOOOO thrown in once in a while. OHHHHHHHhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHH. Dingnonegomus. That's the phonetic spelling of what is said when you get back in the ring in KOCII. I hear it a lot.

INVASION3.png

The commentary isn't what makes it hard for me to get into NJPW, it's the sameness through out the whole show. Nak is really the best dude because he has so much more personality. The whole roster needs to start doing blow.
I don't get this really. To each his own and everything but I think the guys in NJPW have tons of personality. They all have their own distinct mannerisms and wrestling styles. It easy to tell them apart based on more than just their appearance. It took me like two shows to learn all the names and their role in the company.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this really. To each his own and everything but I think the guys in NJPW have tons of personality. They all have their own distinct mannerisms and wrestling styles. It easy to tell them apart based on more than just their appearance. It took me like two shows to learn all the names and their role in the company.

Same here, I have no issues remembering people. The most samey dudes would probably be Sakuraba + Shibata, and maaaaybe...Goto and...yeah...I guess that's it for me.

Japan does have a thing for plain black trunks though.

strobogo

Banned

But so many of the matches FEEL the same to me.

The only Japan fed I watch in which I feel truly lost is DDT. I want to laugh when the crowd laughs too! But I have no idea what they are saying!

jred2k

Good article from David Shoemaker about post-SS WWE:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9609037/wwe-villains-supposed-make-mad-cheer-about

On Monday's episode of Raw, Triple H stood atop the entrance ramp with the entire roster in cowed silence as Bryan was callously thumped in the ring by the Shield. If any wrestler objected, they would be fired. Some might call this a delicious storytelling device. Some might say Triple H is once again acting out his power-trip fantasies in story lines. The message boards fumed with indignation: Triple H is back to burying the roster. He loves to hear himself talk; he loves to be in the spotlight; he loves to boss everybody around. When Orton strolled to the ring and coolly hit Bryan with the finishing blow, fans said, "Get that guy off my TV screen." And that's exactly what they're supposed to be saying. WWE figured out how to turn the meta-fans into old-school marks.

A lot of posts in this thread have been a testament to the bolded. The trick for WWE will be to turn that in to people tuning in every week to see Bryan be the foil, rather than just getting bored and turning off completely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I might have been playing Final Fantasy 5 most of the time but this was the first RAW I watched without even changing the channel in maybe four years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A Top 20 WCW Gifs would get some pageviews for sure.

Aiii

So not worth it
I want a reality show based around the jobbers CATERING. The hell does JTG do every week at TV.

I imagine he, Ryder, Yoshi and Hawkins just play poker there all day every day until a new wrestler is called yp from NXT and needs a jobber to squash.

Top Bottom