• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Kaladin

eXF1nYL.jpg

180px-WHY.jpg

krae_man

Holy crap Sandman, you would hate buying tickets from Tickets.com. I did some searching around for various numbers of tickets and the algorithm is straight up horrible. The website is programmed to search for the best available in the exact number you want before breaking up a larger group.

Example: You want 1 ticket and there is a group of 3 in the front row and a single in the 5th row, It will give you the single in the 5th row before breaking up the 3. It might not even break up the 3 ever.

jmdajr

I like that WWE events in Houston don't go through TicketMaster.
Selection process not perfect but it's still much better. At least I can pic sections by number.

edit: And screw all the reseller sites

krae_man

I like that WWE events in Houston don't go through TicketMaster.
Selection process not perfect but it's still much better. At least I can pic sections by number.

Well yeah there was better availability. I wouldn't have even had a chance at 2nd row tickets if it was on ticketmaster. Everything but the 4th and 5th row would have been held back for scalping. But still that algorithm is straight up bonkers.

jmdajr

Well yeah there was better availability. I wouldn't have even had a chance at 2nd row tickets if it was on ticketmaster. Everything but the 4th and 5th row would have been held back for scalping. But still that algorithm is straight up bonkers.

Best seat I ever got was like 3rd row from ring side of a Smackdown brand PPV. No Mercy 2005.
I actually got the chair and everything. It was only 150 bucks! Now it would be like 350...face value!

WWE_No_mercy_2005.jpg

Attendance was piss poor though. Only 7000 sold. WWE was definitely in a slump there.

Heck this weeks Smackdown sold out.

krae_man

This is my 8th PPV. Will be my 7th "keep your chair" although I got rid of 4 of the chairs as they were just taking up space.

2nd row is the best I've done for a PPV, but I have had front row for house shows and one Raw before.

strobogo

Banned
Front row doesn't seem very fun to me. So much closer to see all the pulled punches and called spots? Bleh. Or be completely fucked when they go to the floor on the other side of the ring. Top of the upper bowl seems the perfect place for a WWE show.

jmdajr

I have been to-

Wrestlemania 17
WrestleManiaX-Seven.jpg

Bad Blood 2003
BadBlood03.jpg

No Mercy 2005
WWE_No_mercy_2005.jpg

Royal Rumble 2007
Royal_Rumble_07.jpg

Night of Champions 2007
Vengeance_2007.jpg

Wrestlemania 25
200px-Wrestlemania_300x450.jpg

TCL 2010
TLC_Tables%2C_Ladders_%26_Chairs_%282010%29.jpg

Wrestlemania 29
Wm29poster.jpg

8 too lol!

I have also been to Raw, Smackdown, and House shows.

edit; Oh and a TNA PPV when they still had the old ring!lol
Victory_Road_%282008%29.jpg

jmdajr

Front row doesn't seem very fun to me. So much closer to see all the pulled punches and called spots? Bleh. Or be completely fucked when they go to the floor on the other side of the ring. Top of the upper bowl seems the perfect place for a WWE show.

That's what I got for TLC 2013. Section 107 row 23!
toyota_center_-_tx-seating-chart3030-945.gif

jred2k

Did anyone ever call the WWF Superstar Line? $1.49 to hear wrestlers be interviewed seems fucking insane. It actually makes the free app seem not so bad.

Sokantish

I've never been to a wrestling event. Actually the only sporting event I've ever been to was a Cardinals vs Rockies game like 20 years ago.

krae_man

I had something like that for WrestleMania 28 and I hated it. I couldn't hear the ring noise and that bothered me to no end. Up close is the best, you hear all the noise, better chance of getting your smarky sign on TV, Wrestlers will respond to your specific cheers/taunts etc. As for hearing spots being called, you already hear and see all that stuff on TV so what's the difference?

To get in the mood for the G1 tomorrow, I made a playlist of classic G1 matches, starting with the very first G1 in 1991 and running up to last year's tournament;

Classic G1 Matches;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ro25

• Keiji Mutoh vs Masahiro Chono - 1st G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/11/91)
  • Shinya Hashimoto vs Hiroshi Hase - 3rd G1 Climax, First Round - (NJPW 08/03/93)
  • Shinya Hashimoto vs Genichiro Tenryu - 8th G1 Climax, Second Round - (NJPW 08/01/98)
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Osamu Nishimura - 11th G1 Climax, Block A - (NJPW 08/06/01)
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - 14th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/15/04)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - 15th G1 Climax, Block B - (NJPW 08/07/05)
  • Satoshi Kojima vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan - 16th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/13/06)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata - 17th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/12/07)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - 20th G1 Climax, Block A - (NJPW 08/08/10)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - 22nd G1 Climax, Block B - (NJPW 08/03/12)

jmdajr

I had something like that for WrestleMania 28 and I hated it. I couldn't hear the ring noise and that bothered me to no end. Up close is the best, you hear all the noise, better chance of getting your smarky sign on TV, Wrestlers will respond to your specific cheers/taunts etc. As for hearing spots being called, you already hear and see all that stuff on TV so what's the difference?

Yeah lower bowl for Wrestlemania is a whole other ball game. It's not like lower bowl at an Arena. Much father away!

strobogo

Banned
No PPVs, but went to a number of Raws/Smackdowns/house shows at Conseco, almost all of them in the Marsh suite. Before the awful experience at Raw in March, I hadn't been to a show since right before Hogan/Rock II, which also featured Bork beating "Kurt Angle" only to be SWERVED because it was actually Eric Angle.

The majority of the show I went to were in 2000-2002. I went to two WCW shows, a house show in 1996 at Ball State shortly after the nWo started, and a Thunder taping at Market Square Arena. I also attended one of the crazy tape 3 Raws, plus Superstars, plus Shotgun tapings at Ball State once. I saw Owen and Bulldog FIVE times that night.

Nothing tops the Smackdown in 2001 I went to that was during the height of the BoD vs Power Trip feud, and I swear to Christ that Taker's music played at the end of every segment. The whole show was based on Taker chasing Austin around all night, so every segment would end in them coming out and Taker's music playing. It made my bizkit limp.

I think I've seen pretty much all the majors over the past 15 years or so. Rock, Austin, HHH, Taker, Punk, Bork, D-Bryne, Hardys, Dudleys, Angle, E&C, Goldust, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Booker, Sting, Savage, Flexy Lexy, Rey Jr, Cener, Shield, Mark Henry, Big E., Ziggles, Owen, Bret, Bulldog, HBK, DOA, Eddie, Benoit, Malenko, and other dead dudes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To get in the mood for the G1 tomorrow, I made a playlist of classic G1 matches, starting with the very first G1 in 1991 and running up to last year's tournament;

Classic G1 Matches;

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ro25

• Keiji Mutoh vs Masahiro Chono - 1st G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/11/91)
  • Shinya Hashimoto vs Hiroshi Hase - 3rd G1 Climax, First Round - (NJPW 08/03/93)
  • Shinya Hashimoto vs Genichiro Tenryu - 8th G1 Climax, Second Round - (NJPW 08/01/98)
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Osamu Nishimura - 11th G1 Climax, Block A - (NJPW 08/06/01)
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - 14th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/15/04)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - 15th G1 Climax, Block B - (NJPW 08/07/05)
  • Satoshi Kojima vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan - 16th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/13/06)
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata - 17th G1 Climax, FINAL - (NJPW 08/12/07)
  • Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - 20th G1 Climax, Block A - (NJPW 08/08/10)
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - 22nd G1 Climax, Block B - (NJPW 08/03/12)

You're gonna burn out this year Boots!

Will watch some of this at lunch. Really want to watch the old shit mostly...I think it'll be a Hashimoto Lunch Break for me.

You're gonna burn out this year Boots!

Will watch some of this at lunch. Really want to watch the old shit mostly...I think it'll be a Hashimoto Lunch Break for me.

Yeah, I can't imagine wanting to watch much wrestling for a few weeks after the G1 is over. It's almost overkill. Almost.

Don't sleep on that Tenzan vs Nishimura match, excellent veteran technician versus big man encounter. Nishimura deserves more love, dude's awesome.

I've been to many wrestling events. None were as good as going to Raw with Sunflower and kicking handicap people out of their seats. #heel

Entropia

No One Remembers
Only PPV I have been to is Wrestlemania X-8 :<

I've been to:
1 house show in 1998
RAW a few times
Smackdown at least once.

I can't remember exact dates/years. Most of the RAWs and Smackdowns were around 2002-2003.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I can't imagine wanting to watch much wrestling for a few weeks after the G1 is over. It's almost overkill. Almost.

Don't sleep on that Tenzan vs Nishimura match, excellent veteran technician versus big man encounter. Nishimura deserves more love, dude's awesome.

Will make sure I watch that before I get on the Hashi-Sideburns Train. And I love Tenzan, I really do.

beanman25

Going to Impact taping in September

Been to WWECW house show, Raws, Smackdowns, regular house shows, Raw 1000, Extreme Rules 2013, Royal Rumble 2012.

Bloodwake

I have only been to one PPV and one RAW taping.

Royal Rumble 2012
RAW 1000

I lived about an hour and a half outside Saint Louis at the time. Now I am back in Kentucky, where it's a three hour drive to either of the cities that have somewhat large wrestling shows. (Cincy or Louisville)

jred2k

I live about a 6 hour drive from Toronto so I've only been to one house show. It was in 1998 at the SkyDome.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing a live Raw in September. I really hope that show doesn't suck.

krae_man

Oh god, I'm having second thoughts about my seat placement. I'm afraid I'm going to be way in the corner and not by the ramp. I tried phoning the number and the CSR said they cant see the map during a presale. What a load a bull.

krae_man

Oh trust me, I know. I don't want to be a dick because I hate it when picky customers are a dick to me but I don't like being lied to.

Edit: Success! I phoned the First Niagara Center box office number and got someone who was able to tell me(and I was right, I was way off in the corner) and initially after telling me "no refunds or exchanges" I was able to talk her into moving me into a seat closer to the middle in the same row and section I was already in. I'm now just 4 seats down from the ramp in the second row.

Specific venue box offices are way better then generic massive 1-800-numbers. The people there are actually willing to provide customer service and will bend rules if you are nice.

suplex

I've only been to more recent shows, really wish I woulda went to some shows in the attitude era.

Raw before WM27
MitB 2011
WM28
Extreme Rules 2012
Payback 2013

Going to Raw in September as well.

Kaladin

Oh man. I'm going to have to get back to you guys later today with the shows I have been to. Too many to just figure up in my head.

jmdajr

Oh trust me, I know. I don't want to be a dick because I hate it when picky customers are a dick to me but I don't like being lied to.

Edit: Success! I phoned the First Niagara Center box office number and got someone who was able to tell me(and I was right, I was way off in the corner) and initially after telling me "no refunds or exchanges" I was able to talk her into moving me into a seat closer to the middle in the same row and section I was already in. I'm now just 4 seats down from the ramp in the second row.

Specific venue box offices are way better then generic massive 1-800-numbers. The people there are actually willing to provide customer service and will bend rules if you are nice.

I bought my TLC tix at the actual Box Office. No bullshit convenience charges!

Question - what are your favorite short-lived gimmicks for major guys? I was just thinking about how much I loved Rock's return and heel turn as Hollywood Rock back in... 03? Something like that? He was only back for a little while, but he squeezed every drop out of that run and was just detestable in the best possible way. (Makes the lameness of his schtick in the buildup to WM29 even sadder, really.)

Kaladin

I have excluded TNA, ROH and other indies because that would triple the list and I'm not entirely sure how many of those shows I have been to. I'm fairly certain this is a complete list of the WWE, WCW and WWE/ECW TV tapings and PPVs I have been to. I didn't include house shows because I don't know how many of those I have been to and I don't have a record of all of them.

WCW Superbrawl IV (1994)
WWE/ECW December To Dismember (2006)
WWE One Night Stand (2007)
Monday Night Raw - 12/29/2007
Wrestlemania 24
Monday Night Raw - 03/09/2009
Monday Night Raw - 04/13/2009
WWE Royal Rumble 2010
Wrestlemania 27
Monday Night Raw - 04/04/2011
Wrestlemania 28
Monday Night Raw Supershow- 04/02/2012
Friday Night Smackdown - 04/03/2012

jmdajr

I have excluded TNA, ROH and other indies because that would triple the list and I'm not entirely sure how many of those shows I have been to. I'm fairly certain this is a complete list of the WWE, WCW and WWE/ECW TV tapings and PPVs I have been to. I didn't include house shows because I don't know how many of those I have been to and I don't have a record of all of them.

WCW Superbrawl IV (1994)
WWE/ECW December To Dismember (2006)
WWE One Night Stand (2007)
Monday Night Raw - 12/29/2007
Wrestlemania 24
Monday Night Raw - 03/09/2009
Monday Night Raw - 04/13/2009
WWE Royal Rumble 2010
Wrestlemania 27
Monday Night Raw - 04/04/2011
Wrestlemania 28
Monday Night Raw Supershow- 04/02/2012
Friday Night Smackdown - 04/03/2012

Wow fucking Super Brawl.

I cant remember all the RAWs I went to. At least 2, and like 4 Smackdown's. Maybe 3 house shows.

krae_man

I bought my TLC tix at the actual Box Office. No bullshit convenience charges!

I don't care about the charges. At the end of the day you have to decide if the "all in" price is something you are willing to pay or not regardless of what part is in the ticket price and what part is in the fee line.

Plus I don't live in Buffalo so that wouldn't have been an option in the first place. Nice First Niagara lady already has an Amazon Gift card in the mail. She dun good and deserves it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Question - what are your favorite short-lived gimmicks for major guys? I was just thinking about how much I loved Rock's return and heel turn as Hollywood Rock back in... 03? Something like that? He was only back for a little while, but he squeezed every drop out of that run and was just detestable in the best possible way. (Makes the lameness of his schtick in the buildup to WM29 even sadder, really.)

Berlyn :(

poor Alex Wright.

Bloodwake

I went to a Smackdown brand house show last summer. They had moved CM Punk over to tour with the Smackdown brand so the headlining match was Kane, Daniel Bryan, and CM Punk for the title.

That was worth every penny. Probably the best lineup on a house show circuit in recent memory.

I went to a TNA house show earlier this year. That was pretty disappointing. It kept me from buying tickets to Destination X a few weeks ago in Louisville. After seeing the show on TV I don't regret that decision.

jmdajr

I don't care about the charges. At the end of the day you have to decide if the "all in" price is something you are willing to pay or not regardless of what part is in the ticket price and what part is in the fee line.

Plus I don't live in Buffalo so that wouldn't have been an option in the first place. Nice First Niagara lady already has an Amazon Gift card in the mail.

I drive by the Toyota Box Office every day after work so it's nice. But yeah, I would pay the convenience fee if I had to.

Kaladin

Wow fucking Super Brawl.

I cant remember all the RAWs I went to. At least 2, and like 4 Smackdown's. Maybe 3 house shows.

Superbrawl was the first wrasslin show I ever went to, right around in the first or second year when I was watching. I begged my dad to get the tickets since they were in a town that was only about an hour away. It sucks that the only video we have of that show is a shitty PPV rip which came from a VHS recorded off the TV. As far as I know they never released a VHS.

Also, I had to go through my e-mail to look at all of the Monday Night Raw shows I have been to. No way I could remember all of them.

tm24

Despite living in and around the Orange County area the majority of my life, i've only been to 2 shows in my life. One was a house show way back in 94 and the other one was When Worlds Collide.

Los Conquistadors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhn-0rq5INo

Also, TNA have given us two great short lived gimmicks in recent years, with MMA Double J and Joker Sting.

krae_man

PPV List:

Unforgiven 2006
Bragging Rights 2009
Over the Limit 2010
Summerslam 2010
Royal Rumble 2011
Night of Champions 2011
WrestleMania 28(2012)
and now Battleground 2013

I've also been to every TV taping in Toronto but 1 since Unforgiven, and a half dozen house shows.

Oh and I went to a Saturday Nights Main Event taping after the first Canadian Nitro.

jmdajr

Superbrawl was the first wrasslin show I ever went to, right around in the first or second year when I was watching. I begged my dad to get the tickets since they were in a town that was only about an hour away. It sucks that the only video we have of that show is a shitty PPV rip which came from a VHS recorded off the TV. As far as I know they never released a VHS.

Also, I had to go through my e-mail to look at all of the Monday Night Raw shows I have been to. No way I could remember all of them.

Man it was almost impossible going to a WWE show in the attitutde era. They would sell out so fast.

Tried to go to Smackdown and it sold out while I was waiting in line. I was one sad puppy.

Luckily I was able to go to a House show even though it was like literally the last row. The Pop for Rock was HUGE! (this was one when Stone Cold was out with his neck injury)

Kaladin

It's looking like 2013 is going to be the first year I don't go to a WWE show since 2006. At least I got to see Chikara for the first time this year though.

Kaladin

There's a Smackdown at Philips Arena in November.

I don't know where I'll be in November. I can't buy a ticket for something that far in advance or I risk losing it because I either get a job interview or a job. This job hunt has been killing my advanced planning of stuff for a year now. Only thing I've been planning far in advanced is this music festival I'm going to in August, and that's because it is labor day weekend.

Top Bottom