• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

RBH

CARA6_zpsc9db0772.png

ibxdOKl92HLvXk.jpg

Selkies!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude I see no problem with doing that to be honest. Get it while it's hot hot hot!

I was doing so well with my 2013 NJPW watch I don't want to blow it. I have a weird compulsion to watch everything in correct order that I don't really understand. Maybe I'll just watch that ishii/shibata match, at this point those are the 2 guys I want to win the thing. Especially Ishii.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Stick with Kizuna Road, it's still good stuff. Not to mention what you are watching now, the expectations you have from that going into G1 will be blown away.

I know all you nerds were in e-feds back in the day, so what were your wrestlers' names?

Mine was just "Snake Eyes". Stupid and cheesy, but I thought it was fun when I was 13, I guess. I tried to make him "Snake Eyes" Jesse Mercer, later, but the fed crashed and burned.

I was Karate Ken. Yeah I know, not a good nor original name, but I was young and it was the early days so I could get away with it. I even had my own action figure to take photos of and share what my moves looked like. Okay so it was just an Action Man in Karate Gear with the letter K written on with permanent marker (I killed the resale value there), but it was mine.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm just going to keep watching Kizuna and post impressions in this thread like it's still relevant and people care.

Well you could make it into a review and posts gifs to accompany it, then we can respond with talk of how everything they did was done better with G1. Then we all laugh and eat biscuits Laserfrog style.

Selkies!

Well you could make it into a review and posts gifs to accompany it, then we can respond with talk of how everything they did was done better with G1. Then we all laugh and eat biscuits Laserfrog style.

I've had way too much to drink to be making "gifs". Even with gifcam.

Anyway, NAKAMURA/SOMBRA WAS DOPE. DO NOT REGRET THIS DECISION. I might buy that new Nakamura shirt.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
From the latest issue of the Observer:
Sheamus, who the company had attempted to groom for the position of top star on the non-Cena tour, will be out of action four to six months due to needing surgery on his left shoulder for a torn labrum. Real name Stephen Farrelly, 35, Sheamus’ said that his shoulder injury stems from the nasty ladder bump he took during the Money in the Bank match on 7/14 in Philadelphia. Shamus was knocked off the top rope and landed on a ladder set up bridging the ring and the announcers table, taking the fall on his left leg and shoulder. Originally, he thought the serious injury was to his leg, which was at first badly swollen and with visible nasty bruising. He had continued to work and was on tour of South Africa with his leg healing but his shoulder getting worse. His range of motion was getting more limited while on tour and he had sharp pain radiating down his arm, according to an article on the WWE web site. When he was working out on 8/5 in Green Bay, prior to the Raw taping, he said he experienced sharp pain in his shoulder and told company doctors. He had an MRI done on his left shoulder and both Dr. Chris Amann and Dr. Michael Samson reviewed the results and suggested surgery. He’ll be undergoing arthroscopic surgery early next week, which, surprisingly enough, will be the first time he’s ever had any surgery in his life. That fact is remarkable for a 35 year old who has been wrestling 11 years, with the last four years working among the most dates of any company performer.
So whether or not anyone likes Shamu it's clear that RVD is a danger to anyone he works with.

RBH

Fighting Spirit Magazine is delighted to confirm that our monthly columnist, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, has re-signed with TNA Wrestling.

"I'm very happy to confirm that I have signed a new two-year deal, on improved terms. It came down to the wire between TNA, myself, and my agent, but ultimately we came to a mutually beneficial agreement," Aldis said in a statement to FSM.

"I'm really excited about the new structure and more streamlined team. It's important to know that while some people may be moving on, TNA is focusing on their priority guys. Simply - earn your spot, and be rewarded. I can only speak for myself, but my career has steadily progressed financially throughout my entire time with the company."

Indeed, TNA has recently been criticised for, under various circumstances, allowing the likes of Bruce Prichard, DOC, Tara, Doug Williams and Jesse Sorensen to depart the organisation. FSM is also aware of at least one high-profile TNA contract offer that has been verbally dismissed by the employee in question.

On the bright side, FSM can confirm that top talents Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode have also signed new deals with TNA, adding credence to Aldis' suggestion that recent roster and behind the scenes changes are more of a case of streamlining of talent rather than dropping contracts out of financial necessity
http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/art/news/326/fsm-exclusive-magnus-earns-improved-tna-deal

Is CHAOS still considered a heel faction?

Just asking since I rarely see Gedo do heel manager stuff (as compared to say TAKA and Taichi of Suzuki-gun).

They're a mixed bag. Okada, Nakamura, Gedo, Jado & Ishii don't really go in for the heel stuff, whereas Koslov & Romero don't really cheat, but are still heels and then Yujiro, Iizuka, Yano & YOSHI-HASHI are heels all the way.

Oh, FUCK NO;

Hirooki Goto & Hiroyoshi Tenzan have had to pull out of the 23rd G1 Climax with injuries.

Poor Goto :(

He was my pick to win. Apparently he has a fractured jaw, which I'm guessing he somehow picked up in the match against Tanahashi yesterday, while Tenzan has fractured ribs, which probably happened when Naito landed on him awkwardly in their match from day 6.

2 points will automatically be awarded to the wrestlers they were supposed to face today and this weekend, so now the blocks look like;

Block A;
1. Prince Devitt [8]
-. Davey Boy Smith Jr [8]
-. Katsuyori Shibata [8]
4. Tomohiro Ishii [6]
-. Kazuchika Okada [6]
-. Hiroshi Tanahashi [6]
-. Satoshi Kojima [6]
-. Togi Makabe [6]
9. Lance Archer [4]
x. Hirooki Goto [8]

Block B;
1. Shinsuke Nakamura [10]
2. Yuji Nagata [8]
-. Kota Ibushi [8]
4. Minoru Suzuki [6]
-. Tetsuya Naito [6]
-. Yujiro Takahashi [6]
-. Karl Anderson [6]
-. Shelton Benjamin [6]
9. Toru Yano [4]
x. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [6]

Forkball

AuxCk1BCIAA4B6g.jpg-large.jpg

The strangest part is the caption:

John Cena and CM Punk as The Chicago Florida Hangmen during a Live Event in Japan.

Was... was that a thing?

The strangest part is the caption:

John Cena and CM Punk as The Chicago Florida Hangmen during a Live Event in Japan.

Was... was that a thing?

Nah, just Punk & Cena having fun. It totally should be a thing, though.

Punk says; "The story is in 1984, John Cena & CM Punk were a hellacious tag team and took on The Miracle Violence Connection. We were The Chicago Florida Hangmen. We worked for everybody. [Antonio] Inoki, [Giant] Baba, everybody."

Haha, it's funny because Gordy & Williams would have dismantled Punk & Cena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuGAJxMACFY

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm legitimately interested in watching every match announced thus far for Summerslam. How the fuck did that happen? I think I need to lie down…

Seriously, I was thinking the exact same thing last night. Aside from the two matches I'm hyped as fuck for (as is everyone) all the other matches should be alot of fun as well.

strobogo

Banned
Hyped for Bork/Punk and Cena/Dragon

Interested in Wyatt/Kane, and Cody/Sandow

Not interested in the rest. I'm sure ADR/Christian will be a very solid match, but I don't care about it at all. Mixed tag will probably be fun and short, but again...meh.

The the hype for the headlining matches is super high and makes up for the rest of the matches. It's not even that I don't want to see the other matches, I'm just not that interested in them. All of those matches are Raw/SD kind of matches. The main events are the only things that feel like a real PPV big match kind of deal.

Ithil

That's some seriously shitty news for Goto, especially when it seemed he was going to the finals. That's probably screwed up their plans majorly.

I'm legitimately interested in watching every match announced thus far for Summerslam. How the fuck did that happen? I think I need to lie down…

It's crazy but I think i've figured out why.
If there's one thing i've been complaining about for what feels like the last decade of WWE booking it's how poorly put together midcard matches tend to be, little rhyme or reason, just thrown into the mix to accompany the main events.
Yet here we are with this years Summerslam incoming and damn near every match on the card has had an actual buildup to it, multiple storylines across the shows actually adding a plot based element to the matches. The only match that sticks out right now for having little interesting build is ADR vs Christian, otherwise the rest of the matches have some sort of personal element to them and in a shocking turn of events for the WWE writing staff to have discovered this helps makes them more interesting.

Maybe the days of rushed PPV builds thrown together on the go home show are finally over, for now at least.

strobogo

Banned
wcw1998.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 5/4/98

Thunder is off the air for two weeks due to basketball I believe. And during the playoffs, Nitro is back to 2 hours, which is definitely for the best. Also, this show is from Indy. Nash vs Lex Luger is the main event. I always like to see what kind of local heat the heels use. Edge and Christian were for sure the best at it.

A recap of the Wolfpac/Hollywood split. Crush is the first to officially take Hogan's side. I feel like it'd be easier to just kick Hogan out.

Eddie Guerrero vs Scott Norton

Eddie is just trying to be a good uncle and is going to set a good example. Eddie shit talks Norton a lot, which makes me think he's going to make Chavo take the match. Lol, Eddie rolls out of the ring claiming an injured knee and makes Chavo take the match. Poor Chavo. I read on Wiki that Norton would be totally cool with a TNA run. Norton goes after Eddie, which allows Chavo to go after the big guy's knee. It didn't matter. Norton still crushed Chavo with the shoulder breaker. Ultimo Dragon comes out to check on Chavo. Eddie doesn't like this.

iEFsRr10BQuM2.gif

Scott Putski vs Kidman

Man, fuck Larry. He's the face color guy and is shitting on the Pacers for no reason. The Pacers were a quality team in 1998. I miss Market Square Arena, but Conseco is one of my favorite buildings I've ever been in. It's really a great facility with excellent sight lines. You can be at the very top seat and still be able to see everything. Putski hits the BK Bomb. What a dick. Stealing moves in his first match. Nash/Savage/Konnan head down from the crowd in red nWo shirts. They attack Kidman and Putski. I still want to know how Nash and Savage patched things up, and I'd really like to know why Konnan was the first guy they brought in. I mean, KONNAN? Apparently, Hall is too dangerous for live TV. Whole lot of rhyming going on here. I always liked how Savage would ask a question and answer it in the same breath. "Isn't that right ooooooh yeah it is!" I miss Macho. The newest member of the Wolfpac is...Curt Hennig! But he's wearing a black and white shirt. Crush tries to stop him. Curt reveals the new colors. Ugh, Konnan challenged Crush to a match.

A special look at Raven.

Chris Jericho vs Boreus Malenko WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Jericho plays a video of Dean talking about the death of his father. The Great Malenko must be rolling in his grave. He only got the Man of 1000 holds gimmick because the WCW office knew he was too boring for anything else. Quick squash. The man of 1 hold did get to use his one move, at least.

Alex Wright again tries to dance with the Nitro Girls and gets pulled away.

Hugh Morrus/Barbarian vs Public Enemy Street Fight

This is as lame as can be except for the table spots. Grunge pins...Jimmy Hart to win.

ibxtTK6RZgV2mw.gif

ikouZbtobV63T.gif

TO THE MEAN GENE. He's going to talk to Crush. Nah.

A video on the Benoit/Booker feud.

Saturn vs Hammer Loser Leaves The Flock

Raven sent Kidman to make the announcement, but also made it clear that they want Saturn to win. Hammer comes close to breaking Saturn's neck with a reverse suplex. I can't imagine the very high and tight German suplex Saturn gave right after was an accident. The Flock were watching in the back. Superplex from Hammer. Saturn hits the gargoyle suplex and flying leg drop. He gets a chair and uses it to hit a poetry in motion dropkick. He tries it again and the ref gets hit. A vendor comes out of the crowd and hits Saturn with the beer thing. He then hits Hammer with a chair. He falls on Saturn and Saturn is now out of the The Flock. BANG!

ibsU1KXSQnY9HC.gif

iEaGj1NzbvuG7.gif

i0X73UGCRzBQp.gif

TO THE BACK. Raven heads out of the locker room, pissed that his boy lost, but DDP was waiting and attacks the Flock with a stop sign and cow bell/rope. He drags Raven to the ring. DDP HANGS Raven. He's trying to kill him for real.

I like hot dames dancing around and all, but the Nitro Girls were a terrible dance group. They had bad routines and always had half the group totally off beat with the others.

Sick Boy vs Juventud Guerrera

Awesome F5 from Sick Boy. Then they start botching everything since the ring is soaked from Kanyon spilling beer everywhere. Whoreass interferes and the match is thrown out. Reese also comes out. Goldberg comes out and saves the day.

ibgBlRDsdZvLS3.gif

ib0z1c7CW4WBv6.gif

TO THE MEAN GENE. Rick Steiner is the guest. He wants Scott to come out and end this thing between them. Scott comes out on crutches. Scott is all teary and talking about how his family members won't talk to him the same any more. He wants to be a Steiner Brother again. Scott looks like a straight up ape walking with crutches. Rick is going to give him a chance. They hug, but Crush comes out and hits Rick with a bat. SWERVE!

Konnan vs Brian Adams

No. Bret and Nash got involved.

iO8DWa8oAkRa8.gif

Fit Finlay vs Booker T WCW TV Championship

Sweet. I bet Finlay vs Vader would have been amazing. Finlay vs Steamboat. Finlay vs the Mean Street Posse. I need them all. Fit goes after Book's leg. Doesn't last very long and it goes to the floor. I also would really have liked to see JBL vs Finlay when both were 10 years younger or so. Or at least JBL could have been younger. I think Finlay was just as good if not better in his WWE run than he was at any other time. Ax kick. Spine walk buster slam. Benoit comes out. I wonder if Irish is white enough for Benoit. Book glares at Benoit, which gives Finlay a chance to hit the tombstone. New champion!

ibtJmDULtOWfEZ.gif

Lex Luger vs Kevin Nash

Gross. What's weird is that Nash is clearly a face now. Yeah, he's facing Lex and has a title match with Sting/Giant at the PPV, but he's a face now. As is Savage. I wouldn't even say they're tweeners. Fans are 100% behind them. It breaks down with Konnan and Savage getting involved. Sting makes the save before Lex can be powerbombed. Then the Giant comes out and they all brawl. Crush comes out. Bret stops him. Hey, remember how Crush debuted and went out of his way to SWERVE Bret? And now they're laughing and smiling in the aisle together. Oh, and remember how Bret has being saying for months that he was only in WCW to tear down the nWo, brick by brick? And now he's a full on Hogan supporter, wearing his shirts, and saying how he's the greatest ever. I wonder why Curt Hennig didn't come out during this.

NJPW G1 Climax Day 7 results;

YOSHI-HASHI & Takashi Iizuka defeated Captain New Japan & Tomoaki Honma with a swanton from YOSHI to Captain.
Yujiro Takahashi defeated Kota Ibushi with the Tokyo Pimps.
Karl Anderson defeated Yuji Nagata with the Gun Stun.
Katsuyori Shibata defeated Prince Devitt with the Go 2 Sleep.
Kazuchika Okada defeated Tomohiro Ishii with the Rainmaker.
Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated Lance Archer with the High Fly Flow.
Toru Yano defeated Tetsuya Naito with the Akakiri Cradle.
Minoru Suzuki defeated Shelton Benjamin with the Gotch-style piledriver.
Togi Makabe defeated Satoshi Kojima with the King Kong Knee Drop.

Another good show overall, although nothing terribly outstanding. I really enjoyed Anderson vs Nagata, Devitt vs Shibata and Makabe vs Kojima, but Ishii vs Okada was easily the match of the day.

Standings;

Block A -
1. Katsuyori Shibata [10]
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi [8]
-. Togi Makabe [8]
-. Kazuchika Okada [8]
-. Davey Boy Smith Jr. [8]
-. Prince Devitt [8]
7. Satoshi Kojima [6]
-. Tomohiro Ishii [6]
9. Lance Archer [4]
x. Hirooki Goto [8]

Block B -
1. Shinsuke Nakamura [10]
2. Yuji Nagata [8]
-. Minoru Suzuki [8]
-. Karl Anderson [8]
-. Yujiro Takahashi [8]
-. Kota Ibushi [8]
7. Tetesuya Naito [6]
-. Toru Yano [6]
-. Shelton Benjamin [6]
x. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [6]

*edit, also, Toru Yano's DVD trailer subtitled in English :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBSOYmYZvQ

Day 7 felt a little front loaded, but it was still a solid show all things considered.

Only 2 shows left, brahs. This weekend gun be good.

Some huge matches on those last two shows, should be awesome. I'm really looking forward to Ibushi vs Suzuki, Okada vs Tanahashi, Kojima vs Okada and Tanahashi vs Shibata.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Almost nobody is completely counted out on the G1. Amazingly close. Could go any way except a couple. Tomorrow we're going to see some people eliminated for good. It's going to be insaaaaane.

Cmon Nagata!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret's entire WCW run is so sad. He comes in as the hottest property around and just gets taken out at the knees by backstage politicking in about three weeks.

He's not even shoved into the upper mid card like most of the WCW talent poaches from that day, he's just ignored and barely ever on tv in any meaningful way and this is all before he starts suffering repeated career threatening injuries.

Aiii

So not worth it
By all accounts I'm most impressed by Okada. But from what I understand he won last year and is the champ, so someone else should get it.

Then again, the kid is only fucking 25. How impressive.

Top Bottom