• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The whole Brawl For All thing was so stupid, a complete waste of time, all things considered. Williams should have been a huge name for WWF and was supposed to be in line for a program with Austin for the belt, but he tore his hamstring in the Brawl For All and got knocked out by Bart Gunn and that was that. The half-hearted push they gave him when he returned from injury was worthless. Dr. Death deserved better.

He did deserve better. Remember those WEIRD vignettes with Dr. Death going to frat parties for the Hardcore title? not sure what year, but I remember some weird shit going on with Dr. Death around then.

strobogo

Banned
Bret's entire WCW run is so sad. He comes in as the hottest property around and just gets taken out at the knees by backstage politicking in about three weeks.

He's not even shoved into the upper mid card like most of the WCW talent poaches from that day, he's just ignored and barely ever on tv in any meaningful way and this is all before he starts suffering repeated career threatening injuries.

It's so weird. He's been there for 6 months now and, I believe, 3 matches. Possibly four. The match with Flair, one with Hennig, tag match with Sting on Nitro, and I think a Thunder match. The majority of the time he hasn't even been on TV, and if he was, it was to save Bulldog and Anvil and say he was going to tear apart the nWo. It's so weird. I don't even know why Bischoff hired him if he was just not going to use him until the Montreal heat died off anyway. They finally decide to use him and it is as a Hogan suck up. It's so weird and makes no sense.

But then again, Vince didn't really push Benoit to the top when he came in as the undefeated WCW Champion, either. But that was probably due to the racism thing.

Also, WCW + house show = Lazy as fuck. But I always enjoyed WWF house shows more than the actual TV tapings I went to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How many matches did Vincent have in WCW in 3 years? Like 1.5?

strobogo

Banned
Nah, he's had quite a few, but all of them were squashes for Rick Steiner/Goldberg/Lex. And then he had some matches as SHANE and Curly Bill, and that super random 2-3 weeks in 2000 where he wrestled under his real name, Mike Jones.

somedevil

With the departure of Bruce Prichard, Eric Bischoff has assumed the role of the head of TNA creative. Former WWE creative team member Dave Lagana and Matt Conway remain on as writers. The feeling is the direction isn’t going to be changing much from what was happening with Prichard out of the mix, reports The Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Well I guess Eric wants to bankrupt another wrestling company.

NXT:

OMG Emma can't dance. Poor girl.

idvOvxRZzSj93.gif

It's so weird. He's been there for 6 months now and, I believe, 3 matches. Possibly four. The match with Flair, one with Hennig, tag match with Sting on Nitro, and I think a Thunder match. The majority of the time he hasn't even been on TV, and if he was, it was to save Bulldog and Anvil and say he was going to tear apart the nWo. It's so weird. I don't even know why Bischoff hired him if he was just not going to use him until the Montreal heat died off anyway. They finally decide to use him and it is as a Hogan suck up. It's so weird and makes no sense.

But then again, Vince didn't really push Benoit to the top when he came in as the undefeated WCW Champion, either. But that was probably due to the racism thing.

Also, WCW + house show = Lazy as fuck. But I always enjoyed WWF house shows more than the actual TV tapings I went to.

I blame Brett's entire run in WCW in Bischoff. And believe me I am a huge Bischoff mark.
He dropped the ball hard. Hogan dropped the ball hard. For me this was the beginning of the end. :(

Its as bad as the invasion angle Vince dropped. I mean all the stars were aligned, and it was a cluster fuck of epic proportions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there anyway to actually look at the Brawl For All in a positive light?

Didn't think so.

They never did it again and keep guys like CM Punk from having exhibition matches for fun. That's positive, just like the steroid scandal from the 80s/90s got people to cut down.

NXT:

OMG Emma can't dance. Poor girl.

Emma can't, but Tenille Dashwood can and that's what makes it all the more hilarious. It takes skill to look that awful for a gimmick.

House shows have always been notoriously bad for lazy performances. They've already got your money, and most people are there to see the wrestlers, not the wrestling, why should they care?

True to a degree, but there have been a lot of house shows where it's still been entertaining (even if light and safe) and the wrestlers that want to have fun get to for WWE and NJPW. Even WCW from time to time had good showings, like DDP beating Savage for the first time or Lance Storm vs Norman Smiley matches where they got to test out new moves.

I would never go into a house show in the States expecting it to be great or right before a big event in Tokyo or Osaka, but watching fan videos and listening to reports about people's time at them on average has generally been fun to me. The few times I've been to a WWE show while visiting friends in Canada I enjoyed myself as much as watching any old school Main Event, Prime, Heat, Velocity, or what have you.
Of course the best non-televised shows are the international tours for WWE. Not WCW or TNA though, screw both of them in history forever.

strobogo

Banned
I blame Brett's entire run in WCW in Bischoff. And believe me I am a huge Bischoff mark.
He dropped the ball hard. Hogan dropped the ball hard. For me this was the beginning of the end. :(

Its as bad as the invasion angle Vince dropped. I mean all the stars were aligned, and it was a cluster fuck of epic proportions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. "Huge Bischoff mark". Is that really a thing?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It has been said that anything can happen here in NeoGAF, but now more than ever, truer words have never been spoken. This is a conscious effort on our part to "Open the Creative Envelope", so to speak, in order to entertain you in a more contemporary manner.

Kaladin

It has been said that anything can happen here in NeoGAF, but now more than ever, truer words have never been spoken. This is a conscious effort on our part to "Open the Creative Envelope", so to speak, in order to entertain you in a more contemporary manner.

1099.gif

Yep. Vince handed them the stake to drive into his heart on a silver platter and they fucked it up as badly as they possibly could.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a timeline of WCW's head booker? I remember that Nash was the one that fucked everything up but I can't remember when he took over that spot or who preceded him.

Emma's gotten WAY over with that goofy-ass awkward character. Why couldn't Bryan have kept more of the humor for his main event push? The corporate makeover was on the right track, but out of the ring, he's best as a lovable goofball.

Emma's gotten WAY over with that goofy-ass awkward character. Why couldn't Bryan have kept more of the humor for his main event push? The corporate makeover was on the right track, but out of the ring, he's best as a lovable goofball.

Because comedy gimmicks are for midcarders.

somedevil

Holy crap TNA is trying to get people to change the channel with Taz and Anderson announcing together. Also, TNA asking why has Tito Ortiz showed up on Impact wrestling is hilarious.

Guys I finally found a good MMA fight

http://youtu.be/OWxlZ52O0rI

some more:

Minowa vs Giant Silva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv7JUOYCIik

Genki Sudo vs Butterbean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Its1mz5xG5I

Jose Canseco (yes, that Jose Conseco) vs Hong Man Choi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af8NmSimsL8

Royce Gracie vs Akebono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ny-jE1SD0

Melvin Manhoef vs Mark Hunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD-Fwi9K6LM

some KOs that feature crazy size difference:

Melvin Manhoef vs. Ruslan Karaev (Melvin was 40 pounds lighter)
http://youtu.be/MRoiv9BAA9o?t=2m50s

Mighty Mo vs Hong Man Choi (Choi was over a foot taller)
http://youtu.be/BieU8MEVlwM?t=13m35s

Kaoklai vs Mighty Mo (Kaoklai was 200 pounds lighter)
http://youtu.be/4OZUeBm91-g?t=2m45s

jred2k

Holy crap TNA is trying to get people to change the channel with Taz and Anderson announcing together. Also, TNA asking why has Tito Ortiz showed up on Impact wrestling is hilarious.

Even with those two on commentary, the MEM entrance music is still the most annoying noise made on the show.

BROMANS! Lol why they kicked Tara to the curve.
What do guys think. Bad influence gonna put up a good match? I enjoy Daniels everytime he's in the ring.

Alucard

Banned
Tito Ortiz coming up next on Impact. Prepare to...yawn or say "Wow, that was pretty good," or "What the hell was that?" WHICH ONE WILL IT BE?!

Raw64life

Tito Ortiz coming up next on Impact. Prepare to...yawn or say "Wow, that was pretty good," or "What the hell was that?" WHICH ONE WILL IT BE?!

Here's what you can expect from the spoilers posted last week

Tito Ortiz came out for a promo. Angle interrupted him to tell him he respected him. Bully Ray then came out & said he didn't respect either of them. Dumb segment.

I lol'd if it's really just going to be that.

Top Bottom