• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
By all accounts I'm most impressed by Okada. But from what I understand he won last year and is the champ, so someone else should get it.

Then again, the kid is only fucking 25. How impressive.

Yeah, he's something special. I hope he keeps himself clean, and safe, because he still has a ton of potential. He also puts on some serious match of the year candidates with regularity. He's also been given great opponents as well.

XenoRaven

Yeah, he's something special. I hope he keeps himself clean, and safe, because he still has a ton of potential. He also puts on some serious match of the year candidates with regularity. He's also been given great opponents as well.
I remember reading in here that he's having money problems right now because he went a little crazy with all his newfound cash. Hopefully it's an early wake up call that none of this is permanent and he needs to take care of himself.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I liked a G1 Climax Devil-horns Vince, I gotta go back to this avatar. Perfect fit.

Goddamnit Sunflower I can't tell whether your beard thread is a troll thread or not :p

And Bart Gunn beating Williams led to the best moment of Wrestlemania 15, Butterbean ANNIHILATING HIM

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamnit Sunflower I can't tell whether your beard thread is a troll thread or not :p

And Bart Gunn beating Williams led to the best moment of Wrestlemania 15, Butterbean ANNIHILATING HIM

Was a foregone conclusion. Butterbean isn't GOOD by any stretch of the imagination but against any amateur they'd likely get eaten. I really like Bean though, good entertainer.

Was a foregone conclusion. Butterbean isn't GOOD by any stretch of the imagination but against any amateur they'd likely get eaten. I really like Bean though, good entertainer.

Yeah, I doubt anybody expected Bart to win/do much. Bean did a lot entertainment wise too, yeah. When I was watching it I expected Bean to probably just get him via enough knockdowns, not send his damn head into the cheap seats

Striker

The the hype for the headlining matches is super high and makes up for the rest of the matches. It's not even that I don't want to see the other matches, I'm just not that interested in them. All of those matches are Raw/SD kind of matches. The main events are the only things that feel like a real PPV big match kind of deal.
Cody and Sandow is one good mid-card storyline we've gotten in what feels like years. That's growing on me but they need to put something up for grabs.

ADR-Christian I'm sure will be a fine match. The story they've played so far is fairly forgettable, and doesn't help the fact WWE continually puts these two on free TV so often, it makes no sense for people to pay to see on a PPV. They do this with lots of guys, I don't get it.

The mixed tag is just a waste for Ziggler. They did the same at WM.

Tag titles, U.S. title, and IC titles are all but forgotten.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Cody and Sandow is one good mid-card storyline we've gotten in what feels like years. That's growing on me but they need to put something up for grabs.

This is something I've noticed as soon as I started watching wrestling again a couple years ago - there were virtually no mid-card feuds. Like, every match at a PPV had a story around it and it was built up at nearly every show through promos, backstage segments and matches.
Now it's literally like - Ryback looking at Mark Henry funny started and carried a feud for a Wrestlemania match. Like, fuck that is awful and lazy.

I dunno, I think all of the angles are pretty solid heading into this because nothing has been overexposed or underbaked.

Usually we'll get dragged along in a Cena storyline and see the exact same confrontations every single week, but this feud is still fresh and using Orton + The Shield to stoke the flames is working well.

Punk/Brock/Heyman has been a master class so far, as everyone is playing their roles to a T and the brawls leading to total beatdowns of Punk have been really enjoyable. Also "Paul say something stupid" is even better than "It's piss".

Cody/Sandow has been given more TV time than a midcard feud usually gets these days, but it's still only just enough that all of their confrontations so far have been meaningful. Should be a fun match and I wouldn't be upset to see the angle last another month or so. Ideal scenario - set up a match for the briefcase but have Sandow "brilliantly" cash it in before that match, denying Cody an opportunity at the title or the case.

Wyatt/Kane ring of fire is pretty much the perfect debut feud for Wyatt, as it lets both guys play up their respective characters. I'm pretty sure we can get a good hoss fight out of the two of them, as Wyatt can move and Kane seems motivated.

Everything else is less good, but four matches with meaning behind them is better than the 1/2 that we usually get.

I'm getting a little sick of the Ziggler stuff (he really should have just stuck with the multi-ethnic Team Rocket), but hopefully Big E and he can deliver in the match. Kaitlyn/AJ is usually pretty good but it's starting to outstay it's welcome.

Bloodwake

Yeah, the overall build to this PPV has been the best since I can remember.

I sort of can't believe what I am saying. WWE is really doing a good job right now. Even though this past Monday's RAW was a little rough to get through.

Striker

Summerslam is almost always uncommonly good.
Always has hype (it's pushed as the summer Mania) but often under-delivers. The past four in LA haven't been so good.

I'm getting a little sick of the Ziggler stuff (he really should have just stuck with the multi-ethnic Team Rocket), but hopefully Big E and he can deliver in the match. Kaitlyn/AJ is usually pretty good but it's starting to outstay it's welcome.
Maria to Vicki to AJ. That's been Dolph's calling in the past four years. He needs to be by himself. And really, he doesn't need to be out there cutting promos for 10 minutes. It's not his strong suit for one, but it's not necessary either. Leave it to backstage stuff or quick 2 minute badgering. Later, you'd hope somebody like him or Bryan win the Rumble.

Djsandman or anyone else,
Do public libraries have any safeguards to stop scum like me from checking out CD's, ripping them to my hard drive, and uploading them to my cloud music service of choice?
I see some metallic ribbon laminated on the disc but that's just to trip the detector at the door when not checked out properly, right? It's not damaging my disk drive or sending out some signal when spun at a certain speed?
I guess you guys are ecstatic about the absence of disc drives on new hardware,
so maybe now you're cutting us poors with aging equipment some slack and looking the other way?
Does it look suspicious when I return a CD hours after I've checked it out? How long should I wait? 2 days? A week?

My guilty conscious is eating me alive, I wish bangai-o were here; you just know he's doing the same thing too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
librarians tend to prefer the dissemination of information above all else so as long as you're not damaging their shit they don't give a damn.

It seems strange that The Rock hasn't been tapped to play a Superhero yet. He seems like he'd fit the Marvel Movieverse but I don't know who he'd play.

It's weird that the gaijin wrestlers have music that they can play on iPPV, and they have to censor the Japanese wrestlers music for copyright.....you'd think it would be the other way around.

It really isn't that surprising. Most of those Japanese wrestlers have had their themes for years and since they only started doing iPPVs last year, getting the licensing sorted out would be a pain in the ass and suddenly changing them all isn't really an option. Whereas with new or gaijin wrestlers, they can get that stuff sorted out long before they debut.

If you've been watching the iPPVs since last year, you will have noticed that they have gradually been sorting out this issue.

Maria to Vicki to AJ. That's been Dolph's calling in the past four years. He needs to be by himself. And really, he doesn't need to be out there cutting promos for 10 minutes. It's not his strong suit for one, but it's not necessary either. Leave it to backstage stuff or quick 2 minute badgering. Later, you'd hope somebody like him or Bryan win the Rumble.

What a downgrade.

jmdajr

Do public libraries have any safeguards to stop scum like me from checking out CD's, ripping them to my hard drive, and uploading them to my cloud music service of choice?
I see some metallic ribbon laminated on the disc but that's just to trip the detector at the door when not checked out properly, right? It's not damaging my disk drive or sending out some signal when spun at a certain speed?
so maybe now you're cutting us poors with aging equipment some slack and looking the other way?
Does it look suspicious when I return a CD hours after I've checked it out? How long should I wait? 2 days? A week?

My guilty conscious is eating me alive, I wish bangai-o were here; you just know he's doing the same thing too.

They had WWE DVDs at the library if you can believe. Due to time constraints, I made a copy for later viewing and returned the original.

So far piracy police has not come knocking,

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They had WWE DVDs at the library if you can believe. Due to time constraints, I made a copy for later viewing and returned the original.

So far piracy police has not come knocking,

watch out, I smell snitchin'

Ziggler finally being on his own is a relief, and I am sure he will challenge Del Rio again before the end of the year. The guy can also be hilarious if given the chance, especially if you ever heard anything he said on NXT.

On the subject of Okada, It is amazing what he has accomplished already at the age of 25, and he has been wrestling for years (there is a match from 2009 that involves both him and Kobashi!) but if he keeps improving, he will be one of the wrestlers ever in New Japan, should be fun to watch!

RBH

11o.gif

77l.gif

Kaladin

They typically don't care. I borrow cds from where I work all the time and rip them.

What? Don't look at me like that, classical music (outside of Amazon's 99 piece compilations) is either expensive or hard to find.

That strip is there to keep you from just walking out with the disc, you're free to do what you want to with the information once you have checked it out.

jred2k

Ziggler finally being on his own is a relief, and I am sure he will challenge Del Rio again before the end of the year. The guy can also be hilarious if given the chance, especially if you ever heard anything he said on NXT.

I'd be interested to see his stand-up. He seems like hes a fairly funny guy, but he comes off as really awkward in front of a crowd. I don't get the impression that hes very good at improv either.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be honest, I think Ziggler needs someone by his side. Whenever he cuts a promo by himself it has varied from sorta okay to quite bad. He is much better when he is in conversation and has someone to play off of. It's the only way the guy comes off natural.

I hope he proves me wrong, but so far putting him on his own hasn't been great.

We'll see how he does once he goes back to Del Rio after SummerSlam.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So what he needs is an Edge to his Christian. Even a Commissioner Mick Foley would do.

Ziggler showing off needs to be more than just fucking around in the ring. Obviously, they'll never do an "enter from the rafters" thing again, but that KIND of thing - really showy, demonstrative stuff - is what'll get him over. He's fine on the mic backstage, but he gets stage fright in arenas, so have him do other stuff. They need crowds to think exciting shit is ALWAYS a possibility with him. Having him wreck Alberto's party and play with the mariachi band was an okay start, but it's not enough.

Striker

I hope he proves me wrong, but so far putting him on his own hasn't been great
Since his split with AJ he's been... facing AJ and Big E. He has yet to really get away and be on his own.

As far as promos yeah, he isn't going to be Mick Foley and stand out there for 5-6 talking and not looking goofy. But that's not his forte, don't use him in a way he's not built. If he's going to hold a mic, do it interrupting somebody and make fun of them. Do short segments and apply humor. That's the best way for him to be speaking.

jmdajr

Ziggler showing off needs to be more than just fucking around in the ring. Obviously, they'll never do an "enter from the rafters" thing again, but that KIND of thing - really showy, demonstrative stuff - is what'll get him over. He's fine on the mic backstage, but he gets stage fright in arenas, so have him do other stuff. They need crowds to think exciting shit is ALWAYS a possibility with him. Having him wreck Alberto's party and play with the mariachi band was an okay start, but it's not enough.

Mariachis man. Always hired to get something over.

brocksmariachidance.gif

Punk_Chavo.jpg

wcw1998.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 5/4/98

Lex Luger vs Kevin Nash

Saw this match as the main event of a house show in Charleston, WV in March 1998. Nash came out to "Ready or Not" by Fugees. Worst piece of shit match ever. They teased a test of strength for like five minutes, then there were some run-ins, shenanigans happened and Luger won with the rack. Such a lazy performance by both guys.

Benoit and Raven chopped the piss out of each other, Goldberg was hella over, arena was packed to the gills for a house show. WCW was hot then!

WCW @ Charleston, WV - Civic Center - March 7, 1998
Ernest Miller (sub. for Bobby Walker) defeated Scotty Riggs
Bill Goldberg defeated Yuji Nagata (sub. for Steve McMichael)
Dean Malenko defeated Eddie Guerrero
Rick Steiner defeated Buff Bagwell
Scott Steiner defeated Ray Traylor
Chris Benoit defeated Raven
Lex Luger defeated WCW Tag Team Champion Kevin Nash (sub. for WCW Tag Team Champion Scott Hall)

Kaladin

House shows have always been notoriously bad for lazy performances. They've already got your money, and most people are there to see the wrestlers, not the wrestling, why should they care?

Watching an old WAR show from '94, featuring Lionheart (Chris Jericho) unwisely deciding to try and chop grumpy old Tenryu and then kick him in the head. A decision I'm presuming he soon regretted;

iWXy13OuespGe.gif

He then got his ass handed to him by Bam Bam and Onita and his partners (Warlord & Vampiro) were next to useless. Such a bizarre mix of talent on these early WAR shows.

tm24

Eterno gives no fucks!

Funm0DF.gif

I would be fine with buckle bombs if they all involved launching people like this

i41WVwr.gif

Never sit on guardrails

162OUaK.gif

somedevil

Well some rating news for those who are interested. The 18--49 group of viewers are interested in the Daniel Bryan and Cena feud with the top segments involved both of them.

At the start of the show, Bryan's "make-over" registered a 2.02 rating in males 18-49. This was the highest-rated Q1 since we began tracking m18-49 quarter-hours in May.

At the top of the second hour, John Cena's promo responding to Bryan scored a 2.29 rating in m18-49. This was the second-highest-rated Q5 since we began tracking m18-49quarter-hours in May.

Raw stayed above the 2.0-mark with a 2.09 rating for the Wyatts in action, post-match with Kane, and one commercial

Over-Run: Raw scored a 2.24 rating for the six-man tag main event and Randy Orton standing tall in the post-match

With the 18-49 these segments were above 2.0. The Punk vs Axel match bombed with a 1.87 both when Lesnar showed up it got to 1.99. The Wyatts beat them.

House shows have always been notoriously bad for lazy performances. They've already got your money, and most people are there to see the wrestlers, not the wrestling, why should they care?

House show plus Kevin Nash is a recipe for disaster, I agree.

Saw another house show in 2000 with a Benoit-Rick Steiner match with NO CHOPS. Not one. I guess Steiner was like "go easy on the chops tonight bro" and Benoit was like, "OK." Was Benoit's last WCW house show so maybe he was past giving a shit

mouserat

Neo Member
I know all you nerds were in e-feds back in the day, so what were your wrestlers' names?

Mine was just "Snake Eyes". Stupid and cheesy, but I thought it was fun when I was 13, I guess. I tried to make him "Snake Eyes" Jesse Mercer, later, but the fed crashed and burned.

was that when you had to cut the best promo and someone wrote a play by play of a fantasy match? I used to do that shit, but it was like a comedy fed where people chose real wrestlers and tried to be funny. I was a psychopathic sex pest Jeff Jarrett to begin with, and later decided it would be super funny to be a crazy neurotic Kanyon who was obsessed with being the best in every situation. I wrote the whole thing with a lisp (who'th betta 'dan Kanyon!?). 13 year old me wishes I knew Kanyon was gay.

the best dude in that fed was Brian Pillman, and to this day I still maintain that guy was standup comedian funny.

jred2k

I can't imagine most house show towns are very exciting for guys that have gotten to travel all over the world wrestling. Plus, after their match they probably have a several hour drive to the next town they'll have to wrestle in. Its a shitty attitude to have, but I think its easy to see how someone could develop it. On the other hand, there are probably some guys that get nervous in front of the camera and probably put on great matches without the pressure of millions of viewers.

mouserat

Neo Member

in Bob Holly's book he said Butterbean wouldn't do a proper Brawl for All match, it had to be a properly sanctioned boxing match. the whole was skeezy as hell, Bart Gunn might have been a total geek but he didn't deserve to be beaten and sacked for making a fool of J.R's boy Williams. the whole thing was so shitty.

The whole Brawl For All thing was so stupid, a complete waste of time, all things considered. Williams should have been a huge name for WWF and was supposed to be in line for a program with Austin for the belt, but he tore his hamstring in the Brawl For All and got knocked out by Bart Gunn and that was that. The half-hearted push they gave him when he returned from injury was worthless. Dr. Death deserved better.

Top Bottom