• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I've finally took a dive into New Japan and good lord, this is awesome. It's a unique experience of getting to know all these guys, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. My favorite so far is Prince Devitt, damn, this dude has it all - skill, look, attitude and even a cool entrance! Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kota Ibushi are also among my favorites. Hell, I even can't say other guys aren't, pretty much everyone has something great to offer. As for Okada, while he's obviously a very good wrestler, I can't say I'm THAT impressed - perhaps he's just not showing his best game, I dunno. You shouldn't land on your feet first when you do a flying elbow, come on!

Many thoughts circulate in my head about all of this, but not so much structure in them, just a big beam of excitement. This is wrestling at its purest and finest.

*beams*

What did you watch? Day 1 of G1?

If you want good Okada, I highly recommend Okada vs Tanahashi from Wrestle Kingdom 7 early this year. Great match. Okada's also had a great match vs Makabe from DOMINION this year as well.

Any time I watch some NJPW I'm reminded of why I love great wrestling over convoluted storylines.

Dear UK Wrestlegaffers. And to Bootaaay, our dear Texan. I have a question that needs answering. What's the difference between calling some a cunt, and calling some a "right cunt?"

XenoRaven

I have to say that while I too hate when guys land on their feet before an elbow drop, I have seen numerous highlights of Savage doing the same thing, so I usually just let it go.

Okada has not been on his A game during this tournament. Fortunately for him, he's nearly always at his best in a main event match with a title on the line.

strobogo

Banned
Hero giving up and going back to ugly pants and tanks makes me so sad after all the work he did to get in good enough shape for WWE to pick him up in the first place. He's come so close to let it all go to shit again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say that while I too hate when guys land on their feet before an elbow drop, I have seen numerous highlights of Savage doing the same thing, so I usually just let it go.

Okada has not been on his A game during this tournament. Fortunately for him, he's nearly always at his best in a main event match with a title on the line.

Okada's savin it for when he drops the belt to Nagata after Nagata wins the G1

please

Aiii

So not worth it
*beams*

If you want good Okada, I highly recommend Okada vs Tanahashi from Wrestle Kingdom 7 early this year. Great match. Okada's also had a great match vs Makabe from DOMINION this year as well.

Any time I watch some NJPW I'm reminded of why I love great wrestling over convoluted storylines.

While I do love great wrestling, and as such have very much enjoyed G1 (Watched days 1, 4 and 7 now). I do like my storylines and my entertainment just as much. Now in the tournament setting that doesn't matter that much and NJPW makes up for that with good in-ring action, so never mind me.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Dear UK Wrestlegaffers. And to Bootaaay, our dear Texan. I have a question that needs answering. What's the difference between calling some a cunt, and calling some a "right cunt?"

First is insulting sure, but it adds some leeway that could just be appearing to one and a chance the person could improve. The latter is absolute, no question, no quarter, just all out absolutely one and won't be changing.

nappy

Neo Member
*beams*

All days except 3! Sure, skipped a match here and there, but still watched the majority.

I recently watched Okada vs Tanahashi from Invasion Attack and the recent Okada vs Devitt from Kizuna Road, very good stuff. I'll take a look at those you listed, thanks!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
While I do love great wrestling, and as such have very much enjoyed G1 (Watched days 1, 4 and 7 now). I do like my storylines and my entertainment just as much. Now in the tournament setting that doesn't matter that much and NJPW makes up for that with good in-ring action, so never mind me.

You never saw the Ishii/Shibata Pocari Sweat vignettes!

A right cunt is like someone who is most definitely a cunt (used here in its traditional negative sense), there are no doubts about their cuntish nature, therefore they are a right cunt.

nappy

Neo Member

Had to check it... Well, it's true, but he usually bent his knee and landed on it pretty much at the same time as his elbow hit the opponent, so it didn't look like it killed the impact.

The reference flying elbow for me is Punk's one, just so good.

Ithil

So I've finally took a dive into New Japan and good lord, this is awesome. It's a unique experience of getting to know all these guys, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. My favorite so far is Prince Devitt, damn, this dude has it all - skill, look, attitude and even a cool entrance! Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kota Ibushi are also among my favorites. Hell, I even can't say other guys aren't, pretty much everyone has something great to offer. As for Okada, while he's obviously a very good wrestler, I can't say I'm THAT impressed - perhaps he's just not showing his best game, I dunno. You shouldn't land on your feet first when you do a flying elbow, come on!

Many thoughts circulate in my head about all of this, but not so much structure in them, just a big beam of excitement. This is wrestling at its purest and finest.

The difference with Okada is he's very young, only 25, and most guys in the G1 are in their mid 30s to mid 40s. He does really well in championship main events, but as just one of the guys in the tournament, he doesn't stand out as much as say Tanahashi or Nakamura or Suzuki, who are all brimming with charisma and experience. But he's got a LONG career ahead of him, he's nowhere near his prime yet.

Not one mention of Nakamura?

ur doin it rong

Hold on hold on hold on

Are you saying that Punk's elbow is what you measure elbows drops by? As in you consider Punk's elbow drop good?

UR DOIN IT RONG

First is insulting sure, but it adds some leeway that could just be appearing to one and a chance the person could improve. The latter is absolute, no question, no quarter, just all out absolutely one and won't be changing.

A right cunt is like someone who is most definitely a cunt (used here in its traditional negative sense), there are no doubts about their cuntish nature, therefore they are a right cunt.
Ah, thanks!

I have not watched, nor will I ever watch, Total Divas.
But you'll miss great moments like this
tumblr_mr2z5z9v4I1rlmi6co1_400.gif

strobogo

Banned
I feel like "right cunt" is meant in the way that "cunt" is used in the US.

In the US until very recently (like last 2 years maybe), cunt was almost if not more harsh than nigger, which is pretty crazy. And it was 99% directed at females. I believe the UK version is starting to take hold here, where it is often used more towards men and is just another way to call someone an asshole. I prefer the UK version.

Randy Savage is the best elbow dropper of all time. The fuck, Punk's is awful.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seriously, I think the WWE Universe is pretty much unanimous about how much Punk's Elbow Drop sucks.

---
Okay, I'm gonna spoil Smackdown now, sorry about that, but I have to.
vlcsnap-2013-08-09-23xsjhy.png

Damien Sandow is the best thing ever.

nappy

Neo Member
Yeah lol, I wonder how stupid does that sound from a guy with a Macho Man avatar, but heck, I prefer Punk's elbow. Guess I'm just a despicable mark, after all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're DQed from ever complaining about spoilers again Aiii. Just FYI. Gonna reference the time you threw the spoilers in the garbage on August 9th.

I just love the motion Punk does with his hitting arm in mid-air, it adds so much to the move, IMO. Who's your top elbow dropper?

All time best elbow drops are clearly Savage and 90s HBK imo. The form, the height, the grace, the subtle things both of them did to make the move their own; it's a thing of beauty. Punk, aside from 1 time on TV, always looks awkward doing it. Like he's not supposed to be up there. He's hunched over weirdly, and falls weirdly, and just eww.

Test had a better one too. Okada's looks way smoother as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
You're DQed from ever complaining about spoilers again Aiii. Just FYI. Gonna reference the time you threw the spoilers in the garbage on August 9th.

People overreacted about my comment, as I wasn't even spoiled, just warning that some people might not enjoy it. But that's fine Sunny, you go right ahead.

But let's face it, since I'm one of three people that watch Smackdown, there's no problem.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People overreacted about my comment, as I wasn't even spoiled, just warning that some people might not enjoy it. But that's fine Sunny, you go right ahead.

But let's face it, since I'm one of three people that watch Smackdown, there's no problem.
As long as you don't mind! I understand the "minor bummer" spoils for people and I thought you were affected by them.

Aiii

So not worth it
As long as you don't mind! I understand the "minor bummer" spoils for people and I thought you were affected by them.

Not in that case, unless you're referencing that time when I was watching Smackdown and some other guy was 15 minutes ahead of me and spoiled every result as I was watching. That kinda sucked.

Yeah, maybe that was it. I wasn't overly mad or anything, but it did kinda ruin my fun. I read the Smackdown spoilers and then forget about most of the results by the time Smackdown is on heh.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While not as flashy or a big deal for set-up, I always prefered the elbow drops that look natural and flowed smoothly. The kind Hashimoto Shinya would pull out at times.
http://youtu.be/MaYoR9x1Zm0

I still don't like spoilers. Even something like that, a nice little moment is better as a surprise. Just give the link, it didn't have to be a image tag.

Curt Hawkins has a better elbow than Punk, bruh. You'll think I'm joking until you YouTube it.

I'm not even getting into guys like Mick Foley with the lazy elbow drops that still look better. Or even Bret Hart and Stone Cold with those second rope axe handle elbow drops.

Elbow drops are srs bsns.

Kaladin

G1 question.....I see there are block a & b matches on the final day.....are those tournament matches to determine the finals, or just matches booked with people who aren't in the finals?

somedevil

I just find it funny New Japan just put up for 30 dollars for the last two days. Basically kicking everyone in the nutz who paid 150 for the whole thing and basically admitting they screwed up but too late.

Also, people should watch smackdown tonight. Has two great matches and awesome promos from Wyatt and Lesnar that should be replayed on Raw.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Considering simulating in WWE13 a G1 format with WWE stars to see what the hell would happen. Here's my plan so far:

Block A (10 wrestlers)

John Cena
Dolph Ziggler
Jack Swagger
Kane
Cody Rhodes
Tensai
Chris Jericho
Alberto Del Rio
Wade Barrett
Christian

Block B (10 wrestlers)

Antonio Cesaro
The Undertaker
Sheamus
Mark Henry
Randy Orton
Ryback
Daniel Bryan
CM Punk
Damien Sandow
Triple H
Big Show

What do you guys make of this? I may start simming it tonight.

strobogo

Banned
What the fuck does Justin Gabriel wear to the ring? It's a silver jacket with tiny angel wings and tassles everywhere. What does that have to do with being a werewolf? Why isn't he the openly gay babyface?

Omega

Banned
Salty bets is so good you guys. i dont know about ths wrestling thing

i dont know why it's so big.

It's fun to kill time with here and there, but people do that shit for hours. 95% are the matches are shit. 4% are so one-sided you win no money because odds are 100:1 and 1% of the matches are even and fun to watch

Kaladin

Considering simulating in WWE13 a G1 format with WWE stars to see what the hell would happen. Here's my plan so far:

Block A (10 wrestlers)

John Cena
Dolph Ziggler
Jack Swagger
Kane
Cody Rhodes
Tensai
Chris Jericho
Alberto Del Rio
Wade Barrett
Christian

Block B (10 wrestlers)

Antonio Cesaro
The Undertaker
Sheamus
Mark Henry
Randy Orton
Ryback
Daniel Bryan
CM Punk
Damien Sandow
Triple H
Big Show

What do you guys make of this? I may start simming it tonight.

Undertaker vs John Cena finals in real life WWE......Triple H would job to Taker in Block B. It would be a little harder to determine if you swapped Triple H with someone in Block A. I would swap him for Kane probably, because Kane can prevent Taker from running Block B.

Aiii

So not worth it
What the fuck does Justin Gabriel wear to the ring? It's a silver jacket with tiny angel wings and tassles everywhere. What does that have to do with being a werewolf? Why isn't he the openly gay babyface?

This company can't even go one week without being sexist. And here you are asking for a gay character, come on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Had to check it... Well, it's true, but he usually bent his knee and landed on it pretty much at the same time as his elbow hit the opponent, so it didn't look like it killed the impact.

how did I miss this?
okadaelbowdropwcrca.gif

G1 question.....I see there are block a & b matches on the final day.....are those tournament matches to determine the finals, or just matches booked with people who aren't in the finals?

Tournament matches to determine the finals - the last block match is Tanahashi vs Shibata, then we get a random tag match with Akebono & Sakuraba, before the finals in the main event.

I just find it funny New Japan just put up for 30 dollars for the last two days. Basically kicking everyone in the nutz who paid 150 for the whole thing and basically admitting they screwed up but too late.

I would imagine that most of the people who bought all 9 shows were always going to buy all 9 shows. If anything, New Japan probably lost out on money by not making the opening day, the Korakuen show, the Osaka show and both Ryogoku shows available individually. Also, it's just the final day in Ryogoku for $30.

Kaladin

Tournament matches to determine the finals - the last block match is Tanahashi vs Shibata, then we get a random tag match with Akebono & Sakuraba, before the finals in the main event.

Can you post the current standings? Also, a mix of the best matches that we should watch to catch up....I've only really watched Day 1 and Day 4.

Top Bottom