• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

So, what match are we most looking forward to upon Chris Hero's shameful return to the indies?

I'm thinking that whoever books Chris Hero vs Michael Elgin first gets my money.

Mr. Sam

I felt the opposite. Neutered his character, turned him into shit - he was so much better in WCW. WWF was a step back, a huge one, and he sucked for a couple years before he found his groove.

I concur - cool entrance, mediocre promo. The Rock destroys him.

I have a feeling Ohno is there for more than his physique and it will take more than that to get him cut.

Yeah, got to imagine he's the ever present guy that they use to 'train' the other indie guys or something. He trained most of the CHIKARA guys.

Imagine him returning to save CHIKARA though?!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, what match are we most looking forward to upon Chris Hero's shameful return to the indies?

I'm thinking that whoever books Chris Hero vs Michael Elgin first gets my money.

this is a funny bet to me. I'm gonna go with...

Chris Hero vs DJ Hyde

I have a feeling Ohno is there for more than his physique and it will take more than that to get him cut.

To be fair, he is looking a little slimmer in the face. Maybe he ia working on his fitness and they just freshened him up.

Nobody wears the Bret Hart tights anymore either. The last person I remember wearing them was Braden Walker...

ROH's Manhattan Mayhem V show this weekend is looking pretty good;

. World Tag Titles: The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) (c) vs reDragon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish)
. Dream Tag Match: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) vs The Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
. ROH World Championship Tournament - Quarter-Finals:
Karl Anderson vs Michael Elgin
Roderick Strong vs Kevin Steen
Tomasso Ciampa vs Michael Bennett
. Silas Young vs Adam Page
. Plus, Adrenaline Rush (ACH & Tadarius Thomas), C&C Wrestle Factory (Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander), Matt Taven, Truth Martini & Prince Nana

Probably grab this one on VOD when it releases. Speaking of which, the All Star Extravaganza VOD from last weekend is up; http://www.rohwrestling.com/ippv

Kaladin

Whatever happened to him?!

BradenWalkerDVD.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
Can we start calling finishing moves, "finish him" moves?

"The Attitude Adjustment is my favorite finish him move!"

Can't believe they ever signed Braden Walker, only to have him wrestle four matches. Here's the highlights of his spectacular WWE career;

. 2008/01/29 - Signs with WWE
. 2008/03/11 - wrestles his first WWE dark match, losing to Shelton Benjamin.
. 2008/06/17 - wrestles his first FCW match, losing to Kafu.
. 2008/07/08 - makes his TV debut, defeating Armando Estrada. His classic catch-phrase is born; "Knock, Knock - I'm Braden Walker and I'm going to knock your brains out!"
. 2008/08/05 - wrestles his last WWE match, defeating James Curtis.
. 2008/08/07 - is released from his WWE contract.

The stuff of legends.

Whee, just got asked to film an indy wrestling show last minute. For people I don't trust at all!

Yeaaaaah, pass. Sorry sucker, not falling down this rabbit hole again. I'd rather go hang out at Movie Tavern instead :p

Indy wrestling is stupid. I'm not moving around my life so you can pretend you're important for 3 hours

Aiii

So not worth it
Whee, just got asked to film an indy wrestling show last minute. For people I don't trust at all!

Yeaaaaah, pass. Sorry sucker, not falling down this rabbit hole again. I'd rather go hang out at Movie Tavern instead :p

Indy wrestling is stupid. I'm not moving around my life so you can pretend you're important for 3 hours

BronsonCena
(Today, 09:20 PM)

jmdajr

Wrestling cheer is continuing to spread through the forum. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648323

Take that, Beef. Wrestling threads in OT are a GREAT idea.

It's good, but some people are still dumfounded by our love of professional wrestling.

Considering the insane amount of geek hobbies around here, you'd figure there be more open mindedness.

I feel like most people believe 100% of the fan base still thinks it's real.

BronsonCena
(Today, 09:20 PM)

MY TIME=NOW

But yeah, while there are tons of awesome people in indy wrestling, there are still some that are just nightmare. Inferiority complexes, massive (and unearned) egos, etc etc. I've got stories upon stories for this kind of thing. I've had my fill. Let some other schmuck deal with it :p

Also GIMME DAT PAPER *Rainmaker Pose*

Am I alone in thinking that "schoolyard bully" is the only gimmick that has actually given Ryback any personality? If they build this up for a few months, he could have a damn good feud with Daniel Bryan once he's an entrenched main eventer. And Bryan could actually convincingly put him over once in a while, unlike Cena.

10 weeks study:

Group 2 (no exercise, drug use) was able to build about 7 pounds of muscle. That’s not a typo. The group receiving testosterone injections and NOT working out at all gained 7 pounds of muscle.

Group 3 (exercise, natural) was able to build about 4 pounds of muscle.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/steroids-vs-natural/

Figured I'd crosspost this because:
a. Jesus what the fuck, how are they so effective?
b. It is relevant to all of the broken down drug-addicted conmen of wrestling
c. I always held out hope that Hero wasn't cycling, but if they are that effective... fuck

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Worst finisher/finish him move was Hogan when he tried to use the choke slam to end matches and they pretended it worked. Grab a man by a throat, don't lift them, just slowly ease down onto your knees and then let go.

Huh, New Japan have made the G1 FINAL available to purchase on its own!

http://www.ustream.tv/njpwsub

The price is $30 and the show starts this Sunday (Saturday on the west coast) at 8AM EU | 7AM UK | 2AM East Coast | 11PM Saturday West Coast

Just quoting this so people remember it's an option.

The card for WRESTLE-1's first show has been announced;

WRESTLE-1, 2013/09/08
Tokyo Dome City Hall

1. Women's Pro Wrestling Match: X vs. X
2. Hiroshi Yamato & Daiki Inaba (Debut) vs. X & X
3. Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. X & X
4. KAI Return Match: KAI vs. X
5. Minoru Tanaka & X vs. X & X
6. Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo VS. X & X
7. Masakatsu Funaki & Masayuki Kono vs. X & X
8. Keiji Muto & X vs. X & X

iu8TYuGGONdtE.jpg

I'm still not sold on the idea that it's going to last, but I am curious as to who they will get. Is it really Daiki Inaba's debut though? I could have sworn I heard reports of him doing some of the travelling shows and work with AAA. Oh, it better not be Andy Woo he fights.

I do like the logo. I would buy a keychain of that.

That reminds me of why I never liked The Rock. That whole talk, catchphrase, walk a bit, catchphrase, walk a bit, catchphrase/insult just annoyed the hell out of me back then.

Aiii

So not worth it
I refuse to take any wrestler seriously that accepts a count-out loss finish to one of his matches.

If I was in the 'E and creative came up to me and told me "yeah, after a minute you walk out from your match and take the count out loss, because you're a chicken now" I'd kick him in the head and go straight to TNA. I'd rather job to Wes Brisco than do that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to look at the results of WRESTLE-1 and pass for now.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
A problem I'm sure WWE didn't think they'd have with Total Divas is a main event match between Cena and Bryan. Having them "feud" even though none of is a heel, and then watching them on a plane together and dating the twins.

KenOD

A problem I'm sure WWE didn't think they'd have with Total Divas is a main event match between Cena and Bryan. Having them "feud" even though none of is a heel, and then watching them on a plane together and dating the twins.

I don't know about that. They are already making the show about two different lifestyles and relationship behaviours, most shows like are already based around "I like those ideas" and picking a side.

Beyond that, I'm actually for the return of not always needing a strict, mean, deep personal issue to set up matches. Having guys who just want to fight each other to see who is better, matches just devoted to who is the greater wrestler, or a friendly rivalry. This may have something to do with watching G1 currently and collecting Terry Funk vs Dory Funk Jr matches to watch later.

I refuse to take any wrestler seriously that accepts a count-out loss finish to one of his matches.

If I was in the 'E and creative came up to me and told me "yeah, after a minute you walk out from your match and take the count out loss, because you're a chicken now" I'd kick him in the head and go straight to TNA. I'd rather job to Wes Brisco than do that.

What if they did an angle about an up-and-comer/establishing as main event status guy who refused to ever compete or get stuck in the John Cena downward drain? Just went out of their way to avoid matches against Cena, or if forced to get into the ring would just stay out of reach and then walk out rather than giving up his moral stance?

I remember some Japanese promotion doing that, W*ING maybe, where this younger wrestler knew that that no matter what he did, the matches against his opponent would just keep getting harsher and harsher leading to a death match, so he refused to ever let it start. He was then killed by a guy in a Jason Voorhees mask. Still, I enjoyed it.

Aiii

So not worth it
That's fine, but that's a storyline. This isn't a storyline, just crappy booking that does nothing for Ryback (or Fandango).

jred2k

TNA just had a double count-out last night with Daniels and Kazarian. It did make some sense within the context of the BFG tournament, but it still felt shitty. Its just a comes off as a cop-out because TNA realized "Oh shit, these guys have to have a match together, but we don't want to split them up yet."

tm24

Ugh, im so behind on wrestling. I havent even watched the last PWG show. Not that it matters since i was there, but still, half the fun is commentary. Also, I know we're pimping the G1 Final, but i need to pimp what im going to enjoy later today!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Ten

Co-Main Event Three Way Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Guerrilla Warfare Match
"Panama City Playboy" Adam Cole (C) vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. "Ultraviolent Golden Boy" Drake Younger

Co-Main Event Three Way Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Ladder Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - C) vs. DojoBros (Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong) vs. Inner-City Machine Guns (Rich Swann & Ricochet)

Tag Team Match
Brian Kendrick & Paul London vs. Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor

Singles Match
Michael Elgin vs AR Fox

Tag Team Match
Alex Koslov & "Azúcar" Rocky Romero vs RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Singles Match
Brian Cage vs. Anthony Nese

Singles Match
Kyle O'Reilly vs. TJ Perkins

Plus B-Boy, Candice LeRae, Willie Mack, Ryan Taylor, and much more!

Calling it now, there's going to be a weird ladder chop spot in the tag match!

KenOD

Ah right, I thought you just meant in general. How they are doing it for Ryback and Fandango is awful I agree, but it's just as much execution as well as booking.

When Buddy Rose, or Jerry Lawler, or Bobby Heenan, or Ric Flair did it I was fine with it because it was building their opponent, it was making it seem like the heel knew he couldn't win and they had to get out of there either to survive or keep the championship. It was a last ditch effort. Fandango just showed he could match up with CM Punk well enough and Ryback is supposed to be a monster, but hell if walking out or not doing a match actually does anything for them especially when its not near the end of a big feud where there is general worry (JBL is the last guy I thought did that well) or the sake of a visiting champion who can't dare leave as a loser or without the belt (no territories, might work for TNA with their Wrestle-1 and AAA deals though).

It is an awful practice in general, but it can work if executed well for the right reason. WWE hasn't been able to do either for a cowardly heel since JBL and it's a shame they keep trying.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, forgot PWG was still around. Been too high on G1 to remember what superkicks are.

Aiii

So not worth it
TNA just had a double count-out last night with Daniels and Kazarian. It did make some sense within the context of the BFG tournament, but it still felt shitty. Its just a comes off as a cop-out because TNA realized "Oh shit, these guys have to have a match together, but we don't want to split them up yet."

Didn't watch Impact (because seriously, TNA is shit), but how did they do the double count-out? If they're both knocked out that's fine. If they in storyline decided, fuck this, we're friends, we don't do this. Also fine.

If it's deciding after 1,5 minute "I don't want to wrestle" and taking a count-out that's shit.
1. WHY EVEN SHOW UP FOR THE MATCH?
2. IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT WINNING, WHY ARE YOU A WRESTLER?

Seriously, think about it. You're a wrestler. You purposely lose after taking one offensive move. It makes NO sense. At all. And it fucking pisses me off, worst booking ever.

And they do it every other week with Fandago and Ryback too. It's not even okay if it's a once every other month deal, let alone every other week. Terrible terrible booking.

I understand that WWE has a weird aversion to breaking outside of the four or five heel/face templates the company uses. It's dumb, but whatever. What I don't understand is how creative is never on the same page with one another. There's always three guys doing the exact same heel/face routine simultaneously. Why are Ryback and Fandango both taking count out losses? Do their teams just not look at eachothers work?

...Does creative even work in teams? What's the structure of the writing staff in Stamford? Do they have like, basic project management utilities?

Ryback walking out of matches makes perfect sense. Most people get to that level he is at by doing progressively harder dungeons with stronger opponents, but Ryback just spent a year hanging out grinding XP on jobbers (usually 2 at a time), so while he is at a high level he just doesn't have any proper gear for the bosses he's fighting. He runs from battle to keep himself from having to start over from his last checkpoint.

jred2k

Didn't watch Impact (because seriously, TNA is shit), but how did they do the double count-out? If they're both knocked out that's fine. If they in storyline decided, fuck this, we're friends, we don't do this. Also fine.

If it's deciding after 1,5 minute "I don't want to wrestle" and taking a count-out that's shit.
1. WHY EVEN SHOW UP FOR THE MATCH?
2. IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT WINNING, WHY ARE YOU A WRESTLER?

Seriously, think about it. You're a wrestler. You purposely lose after taking one offensive move. It makes NO sense. At all. And it fucking pisses me off, worst booking ever.

And they do it every other week with Fandago and Ryback too. It's not even okay if it's a once every other month deal, let alone every other week. Terrible terrible booking.

Yeah they basically just did holds and quick pin attempts for like 2-3 minutes and then decided to walk out of the ring together. Earl Hebner injected his face in to it as well which made it even worse. Personally, I think it would have suited the characters better to both scramble back in to the ring at 9 and just finish the match. The count-out was just a set up to Roode coming out and saying that the three of them were uniting.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ryback walking out of matches makes perfect sense. Most people get to that level he is at by doing progressively harder dungeons with stronger opponents, but Ryback just spent a year hanging out grinding XP on jobbers (usually 2 at a time), so while he is at a high level he just doesn't have any proper gear for the bosses he's fighting. He runs from battle to keep himself from having to start over from his last checkpoint.

Okay, this is the best thing that I've seen posted this week. Well done Persp.

I tuned into Impact for the first time in 6 months, and its just as bad as ever.

Ortiz is already a lost cause. And I fear for Kurt Angles life, he can not stand straight, he has body tremors, that look like parkinsons. I really worry for him.

XenoRaven

I think it makes perfect sense for current Ryback to walk out on Henry. He can't bully him.

I've watched the last three RAWs and I can't remember seeing Fandango once, so I can't comment on him.

KenOD

Have you watched Total Divas? Fandango was everyone's favourite diva in the second episode.

nappy

Neo Member
So I've finally took a dive into New Japan and good lord, this is awesome. It's a unique experience of getting to know all these guys, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. My favorite so far is Prince Devitt, damn, this dude has it all - skill, look, attitude and even a cool entrance! Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kota Ibushi are also among my favorites. Hell, I even can't say other guys aren't, pretty much everyone has something great to offer. As for Okada, while he's obviously a very good wrestler, I can't say I'm THAT impressed - perhaps he's just not showing his best game, I dunno. You shouldn't land on your feet first when you do a flying elbow, come on!

Many thoughts circulate in my head about all of this, but not so much structure in them, just a big beam of excitement. This is wrestling at its purest and finest.

Top Bottom