• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

NoRéN

It's just weird that nobody had a problem with fat jokes until it happened to their faves. It was fine when they were about Big Show. No one said shit. No one said shit when everyone body shamed Batista. But when an ISEC fave is called fat, it's suddenly an issue.

Savitar

Remember what they did with Vader in the day?

Yeah, same thing with KO.

But here's the thing, we know that some people don't like Hunter and will screw over those he supports.

So if your laughing now, you probably won't be when you see others like Balor or Sami get screwed over in their own ways.

Sephzilla

It's just weird that nobody had a problem with fat jokes until it happened to their faves. It was fine when they were about Big Show. No one said shit. No one said shit when everyone body shamed Batista. But when an ISEC fave is called fat, it's suddenly an issue.

The KO fat jokes went straight into the realm of being mean spirited. I don't think I'd say the same about Show and Batista. That and the KO ones happened in a much more concentrated amount of time, which I think annoyed a lot of people because every other post was a KO IS FAT post.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yup.

I mean, word came down from on high, and we all must obey. Not a big deal, easy to do. It bugs me a little that Cesaro is now making fat jokes at Owens' expense (and the love handle/chair issue is tough to avoid) but at the same time, it's not like we're dying to call black folks shitty names because Hogan did it.

We don't have to poke fun at Owens' shape, so there's no need for it. It's fine. There's plenty more to mock him for, like his filthy-ass French Canadian accent that makes him sound like a fucking cunt.

Sephzilla

I'd say the Kevin Owens jokes are far less mean spirited than the 'Roman Reigns has a flabby chest' jokes

Those got old fast too, honestly

Yup.

I mean, word came down from on high, and we all must obey. Not a big deal, easy to do. It bugs me a little that Cesaro is now making fat jokes at Owens' expense (and the love handle/chair issue is tough to avoid) but at the same time, it's not like we're dying to call black folks shitty names because Hogan did it.

We don't have to poke fun at Owens' shape, so there's no need for it. It's fine. There's plenty more to mock him for, like his filthy-ass French Canadian accent that makes him sound like a fucking cunt.

You're trying way too hard today

NoRéN

I honestly believe that the biggest issue with Owens, aside from the booking and his random rage screaming that makes him sound like gamestop customer that missed out on preordering an exclusive amiibo, is the ring attire. It just seems out of place on what is supposed to be a bad ass brawler with incredible athletic skill and an undying motivation to do better for his family.

The messy font written with what looks like chalk or tape looks better for the kevin Owens character.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NoRéN;175046226 said:
I honestly believe that the biggest issue with Owens, aside from the booking and his random rage screaming that makes him sound like gamestop customer that missed out on preordering an exclusive amiibo, is the ring attire. It just seems out of place on what is supposed to be a bad ass brawler with incredible athletic skill and an undying motivation to do better for his family.

The messy font written with what looks like chalk or tape looks better for the kevin Owens character.

He honestly does look "homemade" - so to speak. Or what people call a Trashbag Wrestler.

Honestly though I can't think of much that would look better for him. I think his attire has hit the "ceiling" so to speak, without any sort of...drastic change.

miserable

threw him like a rag doll

tKIXCl4.gif

mguqPhU.gif

7P1XvFj.gif

"you brought me here for a couple of SWERVES and 20 mins of AIR GUITARRO? let me the fuck outta here!"

tloLM7A.gif

jmdajr

KO isn't exactly the best looking dude. Not like it matters if you are heel.

I mean Daniel Bryan might look like a troll, but more like a cute likeable troll. Has that nice goofy smile and funny laugh.

Maybe we underestimate KO's face abilities. But Bull seems to already have the endearing fat guy gimmick.

Sephzilla

KO isn't exactly the best looking dude. Not like it matters if you are heel.

I mean Daniel Bryan might look like a troll, but more like a cute likeable troll. Has that nice goofy smile and funny laugh.

Maybe we underestimate KO's face abilities. But Bull seems to already have the endearing fat guy gimmick.

Yeah, but Bull is probably never going to see the main roster because, unlike Owens, he is dogshit in the ring.

DMczaf

They should test out Daniel Bryan's overness at another city.

If he's still getting a significant pop, fuck it just roll with him.

What can it hurt? Ratings are in the toilet and house show attendance is in the shitter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
AJ put over Fale huge there, he really did. Gave him a lot. Really interesting how they did it and it gives Fale more of a character and a place to go once the Bullet Club disseminates.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He looks like absolute shit. Sorry, but it's the truth. He has the worst look in wrestling I've ever seen, and I've followed the guy since 2004 where his look just kept getting worse and worse. It's not as noticeable in the indies but in the WWE it is the BIGGEST thing and no matter who is in charge, be it Triple H or Kevin Dunn or Vince McMahon, he will always have a shitty look. I don't know what the end game was when they signed him. I feel like him being an accepted midcarder would be an absolute best case scenario for him with a 10% chance of it happening and people on the internet are talking about him main eventing.

He's not big enough, he's not tall enough, he's not unique looking. He doesn't look like a 'tough guy in a bar'. He looks like an unkempt comic book nerd. The shitty facial hair, the farmers tan, the clothes, the weird lazy gelled spike thing in his hair. I'm all for different looks, but they need to be strong at what they're doing. Doink the Clown is a good look and it's not a bodybuilder. Kevin Owens isn't a good look for anything in the WWE. He's not fat enough to be a believable fat guy wrestler, and he's not tall enough to be an all arounder. Cena gets by on having a massive upper body, but Owens wasn't ruined by losing to Cena. Owens was ruined by standing near Cesaro and Orton. Owens was ruined by standing next to Rusev who just basically looks like what they think he looks like and what they want you to think he looks like.

jmdajr

As of right now, there are approximately 100 tickets left for the “post-Summerslam” edition of WWE Monday Night RAW on August 24th.

The taping, set for the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, is advertising John Cena, Roman Reigns and Randy Orton versus Seth Rollins, Sheamus and Bray Wyatt in a six-man tag team match, in addition to appearances by The Authority, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Kane, Big Show and others.

It was already reported that next Saturday’s NXT Takover special has sold out; with all three shows this could be the first time ever that WWE would sell out a major arena in three consecutive nights.

Sephzilla

I don't know if I can say Kevin Owens has an all-time-worst look when Baron Corbin exists. Or when Ric Flair was allowed to wrestle in his 50s

The issue I had with the Kevin Owens thing wasn't even about making fat jokes, it just seemed to be another instance of "I don't like this internet darling as much as everyone else does, so I'm going to belittle his work at every turn and get into arguments with his fans for the lolz".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Trying to remember now who was decrying old wrestlers still working on the indies.

Also, hey Bronson:

That's just more depressing than anything else. That you're 38 and still working indie shows without ever touching the big time.
Is it documented which PPV (starting with Wrestlemania 1) has the most dead wrestlers?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Mania, right?
Pretty sure it's Survivor Series 1990

Sephzilla

The issue I had with the Kevin Owens thing wasn't even about making fat jokes, it just seemed to be another instance of "I don't like this internet darling as much as everyone else does, so I'm going to belittle his work at every turn and get into arguments with his fans for the lolz".

You're not wrong. Look at how Sunny has been fishing for a reaction today with some of his Owens comments

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I can say Kevin Owens has an all-time-worst look when Baron Corbin exists. Or when Ric Flair was allowed to wrestle in his 50s

You really don't like Corbin's look? That's his best thing he has going for him!

hey now, I've been very vocal about me NOT hating Kevin Owens. His accent drives me bananas though!

Sephzilla

You really don't like Corbin's look? That's his best thing he has going for him!

His look is absolutely awful. Almost no muscle definition, long stringy hair that's desperately trying to hide the fact that he's aging, his face never shows any kind of emotion and when he actually tries to look intense he looks like a guy who's trying to not cry over his puppy dying. His attire is some sort of halfassed biker look. His only memorable thing regarding his look is his awful set of tattoos. Baron Corbin is the exact type of "skinny fat" everyone pretends CM Punk was.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish Kevin Nash was back. Release Owens and pay for Nash.

I find it insulting that you think Owens is paid as much or more than Hollywood Megastar Kevin Nash would cost, Beef. Maybe if we cut Ziggler, Sandow, Sheamus, and Wade we MIGHT be able to get Big Kev on a Brock contract and make wrestling cool again

Corbin's has the potential to get better, though. Owens is basically at his peak, and he really does look quite bad.

That said, they could mitigate the badness if they could find some better ring attire for him. Baggy sleeveless T-shirt and MMA shorts are NOT doing the guy any favors. Maybe if he had attire not unlike what Fale is wearing in the GIFs above, he could look a little more credible. His smug face and spiked hair are good.

I find it insulting that you think Owens is paid as much or more than Hollywood Megastar Kevin Nash would cost, Beef.
I never tried to insinuate that, Friend Data. I simply meant that the WWE should "cut the fat," so to speak, and release Owens, Ziggler, Sting, and a couple other guys in order to get Nash back on the roster.

His look is absolutely awful. Almost no muscle definition, long stringy hair that's desperately trying to hide the fact that he's aging, his face never shows any kind of emotion and when he actually tries to look intense he looks like a guy who's trying to not cry over his puppy dying. His attire is some sort of halfassed biker look. His only memorable thing regarding his look is his awful set of tattoos. Baron Corbin is the exact type of "skinny fat" everyone pretends CM Punk was.

Don't forget his shitty tattoos.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Corbin looks like the bad boy of the boy group. Threatening enough to make the fangirls fell ~endangered but safe~ but not too threatening.

He is guaranteed money for them.

Toki767

Stupid Sheamus. Keeps saying he wants to cash in but doesn't want to let go of the briefcase even with the referee trying to take it from him.

U2JgYon.gif

Sephzilla

Corbin looks like the bad boy of the boy group. Threatening enough to make the fangirls fell ~endangered but safe~ but not too threatening.

He is guaranteed money for them.

That will change once his bald spot becomes even more obvious. His hair loss makes Ambrose's look tame by comparison.

Speaking of which, Ambrose I think does the "bad boy of the group" look better than Corbin.

Top Bottom