• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, think of it from a bosses pov. Here you're paying a guy on a programmers salary to do a job that you normally pay minimum wage for. Talk about wasting money.

This is why Konami is a kind, benevolent company. Willing to eat the losses instead of boot their employees out on the street.

I'm sure there's paycuts and talks of "for the good of the company" involved and all that.

hey wait doesn't that sound like WWE superstars losing their PPV bonuses~? BEST FOR BUSINESS.

jk superstars are back to making what they more or less did back then now right?

jmdajr

WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka reveals he is battling stomach cancer, and recently underwent surgery to have the cancer removed.

The cancer involved Snuka having part of his stomach and lymph nodes removed, and although doctors told him the surgery was a complete success, he does have a long way to go.

Snuka will be dead before he ever goes to jail.

Sephzilla

Morning friends,

How was everyone's weekend? I'm hopelessly addicted to Rocket League now. Xavier Wood's Youtube channel is FnP. Girlfriend and I decided to watch Batman Begins this weekend, I want to reconfirm to you all that Begins is in fact the best Batman movie ever made.

Caught up on NXT a bit;

-Did Enzo and Cass piss someone off backstage? Why is the most over tag team putting up a lot of L's lately.

-Bull-Fit was amazing

-Samoa Joe is definitely a good talker, I still hope his NXT run reaches above its current mediocrity.

-Alexa Bliss is exactly what the Dubstep Cowboys needed

Aiii

So not worth it
Morning friends,

How was everyone's weekend? I'm hopelessly addicted to Rocket League now. Girlfriend and I decided to watch Batman Begins this weekend, I want to reconfirm to you all that Begins is in fact the best Batman movie ever made.

Caught up on NXT a bit;

-Did Enzo and Cass piss someone off backstage? Why is the most over tag team putting up a lot of L's lately.
I believe they're about to get called up, so it makes sense they use them to put guys over now.

-Alexa Bliss is exactly what the Dubstep Cowboys needed

Alexa Bliss is what we all need in our lives. Sparkle. Bliss.

Cagey

Banned
WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka reveals he is battling stomach cancer, and recently underwent surgery to have the cancer removed.

The cancer involved Snuka having part of his stomach and lymph nodes removed, and although doctors told him the surgery was a complete success, he does have a long way to go.

Snuka will be dead before he ever goes to jail.

This takes protecting the business to new extremes.

Sephzilla

I believe they're about to get called up, so it makes sense they use them to put guys over now.

5MAnq5r.gif

I don't think they're ready yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That new Yu-Gi-Oh game is pretty fuckin dope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you would hate our industry then lol.

I just don't see Konami as being so terrible to work for if they give you other options at work instead of firing you. Sure, you don't get a choice, but you can always walk away.

I just don't see Konami as being so terrible to work for if they give you other options at work instead of firing you. Sure, you don't get a choice, but you can always walk away.

Because the understanding is that it's a punishment. Also presumably the intention is you quit rather than they have to pay you severance or benefits or whatever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Because the understanding is that it's a punishment. Also presumably the intention is you quit rather than they have to pay you severance or benefits or whatever.

So walk then. What's the problem?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You dont get severance from being fired from your job. What Konami is doing is sleezy as fuck

They'd just fire them if they wanted to. It's not sleazy. It's generous. Also, you don't deserve severance if you fuckin suck at your job.

Sephzilla

They'd just fire them if they wanted to. It's not sleazy. It's generous.

It's sleazy because they're most likely putting programmers into low level terrible jobs. The intention in that scenario is to get the employee to quit instead of firing them and having to pay severance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's sleazy because they're most likely putting programmers into low level terrible jobs. The intention in that scenario is to get the employee to quit instead of firing them and having to pay severance.

So what? Fuck, that's a stupid, stupid way to see things. You've got my Management-GAF hackles raised. I'm gettin hot! You don't deserve severance if you suck assssss!

I forgot what it is that Snuka did so I looked it up.

On May 10, 1983, a few hours after Snuka had performed at a WWF TV taping at the Lehigh County Agricultural Hall in Allentown, Pennsylvania, Snuka placed a call for an ambulance. When emergency personnel arrived at Snuka's room at the George Washington Motor Lodge, they found that Snuka’s girlfriend, Nancy Argentino, had been injured. She was transported to Allentown's Sacred Heart Medical Center, where she died shortly after of "undetermined craniocerebral injuries." The coroner's report stated that Argentino, 23, died of traumatic brain injuries consistent with a moving head striking a stationary object. Autopsy findings show Argentino suffered more than two dozen cuts and bruises — a possible sign of "mate abuse" — on her head, ear, chin, arms, hands, back, buttocks, legs and feet. Forensic pathologist Isidore Mihalakis, who performed the autopsy, wrote at the time that the case should be investigated as a homicide until proven otherwise. Deputy Lehigh County coroner Wayne Snyder later said, “Upon viewing the body and speaking to the pathologist, I immediately suspected foul play and so notified the district attorney."[15]

Snuka was the only suspect involved in the subsequent investigation. Although charges were never pressed against Snuka, the case was left officially open. In 1985, Argentino’s parents won a $500,000 default judgment against Snuka in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, PA. Snuka appears not to have ever paid, claiming financial inability to do so.[16] On June 28, 2013, Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin announced that the still-open case would be reviewed by his staff.[15] On January 28, 2014, Martin announced that the case had been turned over to a grand jury.[17]
Fuck that guy.

jmdajr

I just saw John Cena naked in Trainwreck.

How many wrestlers have you guys seen butt naked?

I've seen Ric Flair's, HHH's, HBK's, and Rick Rudes' butt. All on wrestling TV!

And we've all seen Hulk Hogan's cock brothers. Hence why he is suing and now we know he's doesn't like blacks or gays.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot what it is that Snuka did so I looked it up.

Fuck that guy.

He's a fuckin piece of shit. I don't wish cancer on people, but he already had it so...he probably isn't long for this world anyhow. Snuka is a terrible human.

Sephzilla

So what? Fuck, that's a stupid, stupid way to see things. You've got my Management-GAF hackles raised. I'm gettin hot! You don't deserve severance if you suck assssss!

The whole reason this is kind of stuff happens is because they didn't suck at their jobs. There's no logical way to fire them and deny them severance since they likely weren't incompetent at their jobs or breaking any company rules, so the next logical way is to provoke them to quit on their own free will.

Aiii

So not worth it

I'm sorry if I don't trust the company that tossed Silent Hills/P.T. (along with the massive tons of hype) in the bin to make a decent call on who sucks and who doesn't.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The whole reason this is kind of stuff happens is because they didn't suck at their jobs. There's no logical way to fire them and deny them severance since they likely weren't incompetent at their jobs or breaking any company rules, so the next logical way is to provoke them to quit on their own free will.

How do you know they didn't suck at their jobs?

As management across multiple professions in the past, a lot of coworkers or people outside don't see the actual problems that are only privy to management, and we literally cannot talk about what the problems are. Many people have been let go to see a lot of their colleagues angry about it, a lot of "I don't know why they got rid of X, she was amazing and wonderful and did her job" when the reality was they were, say, doing their job poorly. Or they were caught stealing money. Or they said something they're not supposed to say (cism, etc) - but you can't talk about it. You just execute your action and it's done.

I'm sorry if I don't trust the company that tossed Silent Hills/P.T. (along with the massive tons of hype) in the bin to make a decent call on who sucks and who doesn't.

How is this connected?

Sephzilla

How do you know they didn't suck at their jobs?

As management across multiple professions in the past, a lot of coworkers or people outside don't see the actual problems that are only privy to management, and we literally cannot talk about what the problems are. Many people have been let go to see a lot of their colleagues angry about it, a lot of "I don't know why they got rid of X, she was amazing and wonderful and did her job" when the reality was they were, say, doing their job poorly. Or they were caught stealing money. Or they said something they're not supposed to say (cism, etc) - but you can't talk about it. You just execute your action and it's done

How do you know they did suck at their jobs?

Aiii

So not worth it
How is this connected?

Because it's obvious Konami wants out of the serious gaming business and needs to thin its ranks. There is no "half our programmers suck and need to be demoted out of kindness of our hearts" and "everyone who dares like a status of a soon-to-be ex-employee getting a new job are being demoted to factory worker" management styles I can get behind.

Again, this company is backhandedly trying to change their organizations, without properly setting their soon-to-be ex-workers up with a severance package or helping relocate them to a similar job with a different company.

They're changing their business model, that's fine, but there are other ways to help out the workforce that is becoming obsolete as you usher them out of your company.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do you know they did suck at their jobs?

Why else would management reassign someone? It doesn't make business sense to keep people bad at their jobs in the same position. If you want to make money, and Konami obviously does, you get efficient and reorg, you move people, you make it work. Maybe they didn't suck, maybe they had a terrible manager that didn't understand how it works. We don't know for sure. But you should trust management, that's why they're better than you (the programmer, the employee, whatever) - they guide and steer the boat. Konami's doing great. I trust them. They're not doing things I like, but they're doing great.

Because it's obvious Konami wants out of the serious gaming business and needs to thin its ranks. There is no "half our programmers suck and need to be demoted out of kindness of our hearts" and "everyone who dares like a status of a soon-to-be ex-employee getting a new job are being demoted to factory worker" management styles I can get behind.

Again, this company is backhandedly trying to change their organizations, without properly setting their soon-to-be ex-workers up with a severance package or helping relocate them to a similar job with a different company.

They're changing their business model, that's fine, but there are other ways to help out the workforce that is becoming obsolete as you usher them out of your company.

It's very easy to assume that someone got demoted by liking a FB post, but there have been tons of situations, even in my current profession, where it was just a coincidence. It was going to happen anyway. Just happened right then.

It's like serving someone with a lawsuit the day they're getting married. Coincidence.

Sephzilla

Sunny, unrelated, your comment in the Hogan thread about HBK saving his legacy with his late 2000s run is 100% spot on. He would not be remembered fondly at all if he never came back.

Why else would management reassign someone? It doesn't make business sense to keep people bad at their jobs in the same position. If you want to make money, and Konami obviously does, you get efficient and reorg, you move people, you make it work. Maybe they didn't suck, maybe they had a terrible manager that didn't understand how it works. We don't know for sure. But you should trust management, that's why they're better than you (the programmer, the employee, whatever) - they guide and steer the boat. Konami's doing great. I trust them. They're not doing things I like, but they're doing great.

And we've looped back to my original reason why those guys were probably reassigned

klonere

Banned
Friends wasn't Gears 2 meant to be the dark, gritty and personal chapter of the already comedically grimdark Gears series? How stupid do you think the "personal, intimate, and dark" Gears 4 is going to go storywise?

It's going to be trash

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friends wasn't Gears 2 meant to be the dark, gritty and personal chapter of the already comedically grimdark Gears series? How stupid do you think the "personal, intimate, and dark" Gears 4 is going to go storywise?

It's going to be trash

You're trash. Gears of War series, excluding Judgment, is top shelf entertainment and joy.

Sephzilla

I wish Gears would steer away from trying to be serious and go a little more in the campy direction. Gears is fun but the story modes kind of bore me when Cole isn't on screen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Gears would steer away from trying to be serious and go a little more in the campy direction. Gears is fun but the story modes kind of bore me when Cole isn't on screen.

Honestly I'm not too worried about any sort of story. Gears 3's bot stuff, horde mode, beast mode - that's just pure unadulterated fun. It's fun to play and fun to shoot and fun to detonate people. That's what makes it great, not the story.

Sephzilla

Honestly I'm not too worried about any sort of story. Gears 3's bot stuff, horde mode, beast mode - that's just pure unadulterated fun. It's fun to play and fun to shoot and fun to detonate people. That's what makes it great, not the story.

I agree. I just would be happier if the story mode was a little better as well. If it was a little more self aware about the fact that everyone in the game is basically some variant of a jock stereotype wearing space football pads, it could be immensely FnP

Gears 1 is one of my favorite narratives in all of vidya. Everything is in media res, there's little to none exposition. Why is Marcus in jail? What happened on E-day? Where'd all the people go? Why is it so dark? What is immulsion? Why is it valuable?

The game doesn't explain it because the characters live that life, they already know so why explain it to each other. Such great storytelling. It was a game that knew when to talk and when to shut up, and the sequels def lost sight of that, is there anything lamer than Adam Fenix?

Speaking of grimdark vidya, Doom 3 came out 11 years ago today, I remember rolling pennies at a min wage job between 11th and 12th grade to save up for a vid card to play it~ Love the shit out of that misunderstood game.

Gears is good stuff, friends. I've never played Judgment; I've been meaning to pick it up whenever it's total bargain bin status.

kiguel182

If someone sucks at their job you fire them and pay them the severance so they can find a new job and/or not be without money. That's the just way to do things. Punishing them until they quit is carny as hell.

klonere

Banned
You're trash. Gears of War series, excluding Judgment, is top shelf entertainment and joy.

Oh yeah Gears was always incredibly fun, some of my best high school memories come from Gears 2/3 Horde mode grinds with friends. Probably one of the finest series for nailing down exactly how it wanted to feel and control from the word go.

I just always cringed at 95% of the story stuff (muh dead wife!!!!) and as Seph said, they could benefit from injecting a bit of campiness into the world. It's like 40K minus the swathes of lore that make 40K awesome.

Never cared for the Gears games, but the trailer for Gears 1 is one of the best game trailers out there. Falls in line with Dead Island for not exactly following the tone of the game itself, but a great trailer regardless.

Sephzilla

Oh yeah Gears was always incredibly fun, some of my best high school memories come from Gears 2/3 Horde mode grinds with friends. Probably one of the finest series for nailing down exactly how it wanted to feel and control from the word go.

I just always cringed at 95% of the story stuff (muh dead wife!!!!) and as Seph said, they could benefit from injecting a bit of campiness into the world. It's like 40K minus the swathes of lore that make 40K awesome.

Holy shit this is actually a fantastic way to describe gears

Never cared for the Gears games, but the trailer for Gears 1 is one of the best game trailers out there. Falls in line with Dead Island for not exactly following the tone of the game itself, but a great trailer regardless.

Yeah that commercial that used that Mad World song was sweet

Top Bottom