• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

jmdajr

When I booted Gears 1 on my Xbox 360 it blew my fucking mind. I didn't have a feel like that since I booted Soul Caliber on Dreamcast.

Haven't had a feel like that since either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think characters get much better than Marcus Fenix. Pretty much perfect.

Sephzilla

When I booted Gears 1 on my Xbox 360 it blew my fucking mind. I didn't have a feel like that since I booted Soul Caliber on Dreamcast.

Absolutely. Gears came out in 2006 when most people were still used to PS2 era video game graphics and gameplay, then Gears came out and looked fucking ridiculous and suddenly we were chainsawing monster people in half. That was a fun as hell jump in gaming.

Also, Jesus Christ, Gears 1 is almost 10 years old already.

I wish I enjoyed Vanquished more. I liked it a lot, but I didn't like it as much as some people do.

It's a game that desperately needs a sequel. I love the shit out of Vanquish but I can understand why others might have felt underwhelmed by it. That gameplay engine has so much potential.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I played Gears after playing Uncharted and Vanquish.

That was real hard to do.

I wish I enjoyed Vanquished more. I liked it a lot, but I didn't like it as much as some people do.

jmdajr

Vanquish is fantastic. So underrated.

Or maybe not underrated. But many folks just don't even know it exists.

Heroman

Banned
Vanquish is one of the greatest 3rd person shoot of all time , only a handful of games can reach the high the it does.

klonere

Banned

My first online match in Gears was at a friends place. Shit blew my mind, it was so tight, frenetic, fast yet methodical. It was like a third person CS in many ways.

jmdajr

I remember the Resistance/Gears 1 battle.

Not sure how people thought that was even a challenge but it's all they had back then.

¡HarlequinPanic!;173946069 said:
too ugly to liiiivveeee.

man I actually can't wait to play the remaster. multiplayer should be a hoot. Is it crossplay with the pc version?

Aw, c'mon!

Hogan and Marcus are doo-rag brothers.

vanquish never got beyond feeling like a tech demo for me.

a very, very fun tech demo but one none the less. Would like to see Mikami deliver something that felt as holistically designed as RE4 did. How was evil within?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That whole Resistance series was a sad, sad thing. Those games are best buried. After all...

Who could forget this dogshit game?
Su9bPNB.png

¡HarlequinPanic!;173947377 said:
vanquish never got beyond feeling like a tech demo for me.

a very, very fun tech demo but one none the less. Would like to see Mikami deliver something that felt as holistically designed as RE4 did. How was evil within?

It's pretty polarizing among the RE and Survival Horror communities. I personally loved the game. It oozes atmosphere, and as undeveloped as they were, I really enjoyed the cast. It's hard to recommend because it is such a polarizing game, I have no clue which side someone would fall under.

Watch like two parts of a lets play, video reviews etc; I dunno. I loved it, I'm actually gonna replay it soon.

jmdajr

I haven't played it myself but multiple people have told me that Resistance 3 was legit, and I mean legit, awesome

I only played 1 and 2. I actually like the ending of part 2. Not sure how many agree on that but it was different.

"forgive me sir....It was an honor"

klonere

Banned
Resistance 1 was my first game on PS3, played it the night of the EU launch till the morning.

I thought it was pretty good and the multiplayer was hilariously fast for a console game Lots of fun weapons and a serviceable story as well!

On the subject of wrasslin' and ol' Piper:

MANNNN the promos they played from him on this week's law. That one where he just goes OFF on rock and roll. So goddamn intense, how awesome. Guy was legit screaming. Wish we could get something even close to that...maybe without the use of "little black man" though :$

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;173948598 said:

MANNNN the promos they played from him on this week's law. That one where he just goes OFF on rock and roll. So goddamn intense, how awesome. Guy was legit screaming. Wish we could get something even close to that...maybe without the use of "little black man" though :$

I don't think people use as much coke as he used to. It's a safer world.

jmdajr

¡HarlequinPanic!;173948598 said:

Jim Ross had some good points about him wanting to be a heel with no redeeming qualities. He didn't care to be a cool heel. He was putting himself in danger almost.

Last heel we had like that was probbaly Chris Jericho. Not that the smarks didn't like him but fuck he had legit heat during that run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Paige podcast tonight. Should be intresting

After seeing her true form on Tough Talk, I have absolutely zero interest in anything she has to say. That being said, I'm sure Steve won't let her be a chavvy piece of shit.

Jim Ross had some good points about him wanting to be a heel with no redeeming qualities. He didn't care to be a cool heel. He was putting himself in danger almost.

Last heel we had like that was probbaly Chris Jericho. Not that the smarks didn't like him but fuck he had legit heat during that run.

It's what we're missing with our heels. People don't want to "deny" the crowd anything. People need that to hate. HATE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kane is a great interview in places far away from wrestling. SoulPlaya linked to this back in the day. A really cool, candid interview with honestly a really great guy. It's worth watching the whole 22 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTWjgF31R6k

Puts over Otunga, as well...

Roddy Piper was the kind of heel that'd break your groot bobblehead and horde your iphone charger. Dolph Ziggler was on the right path when he was hiding Zack Ryder's HDMI cable.

Cagey

Banned
After seeing her true form on Tough Talk, I have absolutely zero interest in anything she has to say. That being said, I'm sure Steve won't let her be a chavvy piece of shit.

After seeing Paige on Total Divas, she's immature and annyoing as fuck. She needs to have gone to college.

It's what we're missing with our heels. People don't want to "deny" the crowd anything. People need that to hate. HATE.

Wrestlers today are soft and want affection and crowd approval. ROH when I frequented their Manhattan live events in 2010-2013 was awful with this.

Go kick a baby and get heat.

The business is never going to be as beloved and fan-devoted as it was decades ago. A decline was obvious even 2 decades ago sadly.

We went from actual riots and wrestlers having to be regularly bodyguarded and snuck out of arenas for safety over heel tactics they did in-ring, to trash getting thrown in the ring after the biggest wrestler of all time turned heel, to now where people might boo Reigns/Ambrose/Cena if any of them turned heel and that's it

jmdajr

The business is never going to be as beloved and fan-devoted as it was decades ago. A decline was obvious even 2 decades ago sadly.

We went from actual riots and wrestlers having to be regularly bodyguarded and snuck out of arenas for safety over heel tactics they did in-ring, to trash getting thrown in the ring after the biggest wrestler of all time turned heel, to now where people might boo Reigns/Ambrose/Cena if any of them turned heel and that's it

Are the fans the real heels now?

Let's ruin this fucking show with our chants!

Sephzilla

This makes me raise a question - Was wrestling generally better when people still thought it could be real and WWE portrayed it as a sport?

jmdajr

This makes me raise a question - Was wrestling generally better when people still thought it could be real and WWE portrayed it as a sport?

In some ways yes. We've gone from taking the movie seriously to wink* wink* we're just here to enjoy the ride.

But I can enjoy either type of movie I suppose.

edit: Cornette said something like..back then you were selling a confrontation. These two fucks hate each other and it's time to settle the score.

Now your selling a performance /exhibition in the ring.

edit edit: Last time I actually believed the two wrestlers hated each other was Cena/Rock.

Are the fans the real heels now?

Let's ruin this fucking show with our chants!

They shortened Bryan's career twice and still think they were in the right in both situations

For that and numerous other reasons, I'd argue there isn't a stronger heel in the company

Oersted

In some ways yes. We've gone from taking the movie seriously to wink* wink* we're just here to enjoy the ride.

But I can enjoy either type of movie I suppose.

edit: Cornette said something like..back then you were selling a confrontation. These two fucks hate each other and it's time to settle the score.

Now your selling a performance /exhibition in the ring.

edit edit: Last time I actually believed the two wrestlers hated each other was Cena/Rock.

RAW_980_Photo_124.jpg

Sephzilla

Yeah, Cena vs Rock at WM28 felt like they genuinely hated each other.

Speaking of feuds where you thought they hated each other ... Austin vs Bret Hart was intense as fuck because of that.

As far as WWE is concerned, the problem is that their heels are always more compelling characters than their faces - of course, after a few months of WWE Creative's special touch, even the most fan favoured heel can be worth exactly jack shit. Feeling like I'm done with WWE for a while, at least until the Rumble.

Aiii

So not worth it

I will watch it, but yeah, TE has made me sour on her a lot. But she's young, easy to forget given how she's been around for so long, so I'll cut her some slack.

klonere

Banned
As far as WWE is concerned, the problem is that their heels are always more compelling characters than their faces - of course, after a few months of WWE Creative's special touch, even the most fan favoured heel can be worth exactly jack shit. Feeling like I'm done with WWE for a while, at least until the Rumble.

And their most compelling and real feeling face is going to face a man who should have retired long ago with no good outcome for anybody.

Ugh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

See you later for Raw...those easy RTs and Follows entice you to watch WWE.

I will watch it, but yeah, TE has made me sour on her a lot. But she's young, easy to forget given how she's been around for so long, so I'll cut her some slack.

She's gonna be a real mess in her 30s when she's done wrestling, assuming a whole lifetime of that will break her down quick.

jmdajr

I feel that's a problem in most media.

Top Bottom