• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

HHH is the only reason Bryan had that run in the first place, he was the real hero in this feud

i'm only half kidding

H was the perfect foil, but what we didn't realize at the time is he was right all along. It's hard not to watch back Mania 30 and cringe as our hero fails to save the WWE Universe from transitional champs who can't even hold up the transition part.

kiguel182

Shit, if you told me Orton, Batista, and Bryan were pissed I'd believe that too. The crowd was dead as fuck for the main event of WrestleMania with Daniel "Over as Fuck" Bryan going for the belt. They didn't wake up until the power bomb spot.

The main-event took it's time but it got the crowd on their side so it worked out in the end.

They had to work harder than they should but they did it.

kiguel182

HHH was a great enemy for Bryan but at the same time the fact that we knew that HHH was more on Bryan's side than Vince kinda hurt it at times.

I mean, I get Vince couldn't actually wrestle Bryan and I'm not saying I would rather have that or that HHH wasn't a great match for him but sometimes I thought of that and it made him more sympathetic than it should.

jmdajr

Dean Ambrose on Michael Cole interview said the Wyatt feud is for life brothers. Nothing ends next Sunday.

Then Now Forever

kiguel182

Remember when the Shield feuded with the Wyatts and the crowd went wild? And how now people don't really care?

That's how WWE rolls.

We need this Brock

1388105118000-c03-v2-mma-04.jpg

klonere

Banned
Dean Ambrose on Michael Cole interview said the Wyatt feud is for life brothers. Nothing ends next Sunday.

Then Now Forever

I think that could be a good thing, this feud needs 100x heat to actually have a satisfying end and doing some shennanigans at SS to build a NoC match would be fine.

Its probably going to be somebody screwing Roman again the ultimate babyface!!!!!!!

Sephzilla

I didn't care the first time. What was the story of that feud? What were the stakes?

It was The Shield wanting revenge on the Wyatts. The Wyatts interfered in a match to attack John Cena which ended up costing The Shield a chance to all be in the Elimination Chamber for the World Title. It was a simple straight forward story that actually made a ton of sense.

It was The Shield wanting revenge on the Wyatts. The Wyatts interfered in a match to attack John Cena which ended up costing The Shield a chance to all be in the Elimination Chamber for the World Title. It was a simple straight forward story that actually made a ton of sense.

"Simple" is definitely accurate and can be good, but none of it was compelling. Two monster factions going at it should have had more going for it.

I didn't care the first time. What was the story of that feud? What were the stakes?

Two teams of all new talents that never crossed paths and both had huge "ideas" and they collided. It didn't have to be deep. It was was something new for a change and those matches were great.

Now look at where everyone is. Big Red is MIA. Luke and Ambrose are stuck in mid-card hell. Rollins had to carry the show before he was ready. Roman was forced down people's throats and it backfired. Bray got buried and says the same ole stupid shit every week with no end goal.

It's a mess.

Spider Silva is claiming that the anabolic steroids in his system came from tainted sexual enhancement aids?

I love it, Maggle. He definitely isn't all natural, baby.

jmdajr

I liked how they have retroactively made Brock worthy of having beat The Undertaker. Because that day, everyone was pissed.

Not sure what happens next Sunday, but so far so good.

The Shield never had a good story anyways, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. They worked best when they were driving DB crazy to the point he became a main-eventer. It also doesn't help I don't like those Shield/Wyatt matches much. Shield were killing it on Smackdown on the regular against Hell No for awhile. But as usual nothing involving Bray Wyatt matters.

Sephzilla

"Simple" is definitely accurate and can be good, but none of it was compelling. Two monster factions going at it should have had more going for it.

What I think a lot of people liked about it was the simplicity of it. It was two groups of people who simply didn't like each other and wanted to beat the piss out of one another. The fact that these two factions were going at it to see who was top group in WWE was a big deal on its own considering both the Wyatts and Shield were basically upper-card factions at that point.

Since we're reminiscing about simpler times, when we had hopes and dreams;

zlX38br.gif

As terrible as the outcome of the feud ended up being, and as little sense as this pose would make in frightening anyone. I loved the camerawork and timing for this sequence. Top notch. And the crowd singing "He's got the whole world in his hands" for the first time, before it became obnoxious, which was pretty cool.

What I think a lot of people liked about it was the simplicity of it. It was two groups of people who simply didn't like each other and wanted to beat the piss out of one another. The fact that these two factions were going at it to see who was top group in WWE was a big deal on its own considering both the Wyatts and Shield were basically upper-card factions at that point.

I didn't really get any sort of animosity between the two though. The Wyatts prevented Shield from getting a title shot, but it was only to beat up Cena. It felt like a diversion for the Wyatts more than anything. I like the idea that it was "this town isn't big enough for the two of us" but that only really works for me if they follow through with that premise, and they didn't. Would have been great for Bray to essentially break up The Shield and start his reign of terror yadda yadda yadda fantasy booking, Bray could have been cool, etc. That's not where we're at.

Like Freckle said, it's kind of sad to see where they're all at now. It's like the DB/HHH fallout. But that's just wrasslin.

I didn't really get any sort of animosity between the two though. The Wyatts prevented Shield from getting a title shot, but it was only to beat up Cena. It felt like a diversion for the Wyatts more than anything. I like the idea that it was "this town isn't big enough for the two of us" but that only really works for me if they follow through with that premise, and they didn't. Would have been great for Bray to essentially break up The Shield and start his reign of terror yadda yadda yadda fantasy booking, Bray could have been cool, etc. That's not where we're at.

Like Freckle said, it's kind of sad to see where they're all at now. It's like the DB/HHH fallout. But that's just wrasslin.

Bray's character and promos are supposed to be much bigger than what they are. Which makes no sense when he's stuck having a god damn ambulance match with Dean Ambrose on an episode of Raw. A supernatural character like him can't run or control anything while a power like the Authority are around. That should have ended when Bryan soundly defeated them and their top guys.

I dunno. Bray is supposed to be supernatural like Taker, but he's working with people who are just regular joes, like the entire roster is for the most part. He's such an out of place gimmick/character in a world that's so grounded in building it's story in a reality setting. Bray has fucking social media accounts.

WWE fucked up with him, and that's no fault of his own. He's a great promo when he's not spouting the same shit all the time and he's capable of going in the ring. And you KNOW they fucked up with him because they had to get the Wyatt family back together.

Wrasslin is dumb and there's not enough foresight in the writing and story process, and it hurts more than it helps.

Yeah, I would've totally been on board with Bray being the new Taker. End The Shield. Give him the streak. Have him end Bryan's title run. Have John Cena fail to stop him (like for real). Maybe a feud with Brock. But it was not meant to be.

Basically, everyone on the roster is cut off at the knees when something interesting happens, so no one builds up enough momentum to put anyone else over.

jmdajr

Ballers apparently doing Entourage like peak numbers in ratings.

Rock keeps winning.

I was also amazed that he has 23 million followers on Instagram. That's fucking nuts.

Top Bottom