• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

tm24

Hey guys
LBrLNop.png

it'll be fun

Thats a better card than triplemania. The semi will be a lucha hardcore clusterfuck. Machine Rocker is great and you should really look up the trios matches that Los Infernales Rockers had

EDIT: OH man, i forgot about this match. Aerostar, Angélico, Jack Evans vs Machine Rocker, Pentagón Jr., Soul Rocker. It has everything. Flippy lucha, the good rockers and Pentagon!

Brock doesn't NEED a title. At this point, being the one that beats Brock probably has more meaning than winning any title, and that's something they can't really ever take away from you. Unless you say something racist or murder your family, of course.

I'll be so happy for Taker

I think one of the larger issues with matches these days is that it feels like there isn't much storytelling anymore. I think this is probably tied into the terrible booking, but I don't really feel the wrestler's character in the matches anymore. Everyone ends up feeling a little samey.

They need to go back to establishing that face and heel divide, and have characters change up their moveset based on the character they're playing. Heels need to incorporate more dirty tactics, and wrestling moves which reflect that.

Something feels off now. A lot of the big matches tend to be samey, and there isn't much character work. And that needs to be reflected in the ring too. You can't just cut a promo, and then put on a match which is the same when you're face and heel. You have to play up that character better.

Hopefully, that makes a bit of a sense.

You should listen to the Vampiro interview on the steve austin podcast.

Or, the battleground review on the jim ross podcast

I hate how cage matches have pinfall finishes. they should all be escape only. batter the other guy so much that he can't do anything as you walk away from his (or her!) broken body

I don't really know who's going to win between Taker/Brock. The rematch is so stupid that it's entertaining, which is wrestling in a nutshell.

¡HarlequinPanic!;175451487 said:
I hate how cage matches have pinfall finishes. they should all be escape only. batter the other guy so much that he can't do anything as you walk away from his (or her!) broken body

Yes, and no leaving through the door bullshit either.

RP912

Banned
I think one of the larger issues with matches these days is that it feels like there isn't much storytelling anymore. I think this is probably tied into the terrible booking, but I don't really feel the wrestler's character in the matches anymore. Everyone ends up feeling a little samey.

They need to go back to establishing that face and heel divide, and have characters change up their moveset based on the character they're playing. Heels need to incorporate more dirty tactics, and wrestling moves which reflect that.

Something feels off now. A lot of the big matches tend to be samey, and there isn't much character work. And that needs to be reflected in the ring too. You can't just cut a promo, and then put on a match which is the same when you're face and heel. You have to play up that character better.

Hopefully, that makes a bit of a sense.

It actually do. Honestly, wrestling nowadays seems like a fast food industry compared to the days when it was all time and consideration. When the chamber was introduced, it suited well with the storyline. Bischoff being the new chief bring back a cage stipulation reminisce of wargames and every wrestler in the match had some sort of storyline. It worked. The same with HITC. Now it's like an attraction with no damn elephants and tight rope walkers. It's just apart of the show. EC this year was a drag to watch because of how random the damn event was....

Some of them can be good. Building tension with a "oh is this it?! no!" moment a few times can be good.

I also enjoyed Show/Rhodes' accidental step through loss.

True. I did enjoy the Show/Rhodes match because of that blunder. Big Show's facial expression was truly the icing on the cake.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Never liked the leaving through the door option. Never ever.

RP912

Banned
Why put a damn door on a cage anyway? It's suppose to be the most brutal match ever and you giving dudes the easy way out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did this make this because Hogan was afraid of heights? Way for heels to win like bitches?

I dunno. Hey Boots, you're a historian - any idea what the first or second or so use of a door on a steel cage match was for? Specifically, use of it as an escape tactic?

Verendus

Banned
Never liked the leaving through the door option. Never ever.
I think this is the biggest problem with those matches. It ends up ruining the pacing of pretty much every match with that stipulation. There ends up being a lot of awkward or odd moments that end up feeling out of place. If they just had no door, they'd be able to put on a more focused match. That would help the flow a lot too.

A cage match is an automatic disappointment these days. You kind of expect it to be poor.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think this is the biggest problem with those matches. It ends up ruining the pacing of pretty much every match with that stipulation. There ends up being a lot of awkward or odd moments that end up feeling out of place. If they just had no door, they'd be able to put on a more focused match. That would help the flow a lot too.

A cage match is an automatic disappointment these days. You kind of expect it to be poor.

Yep.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Yup. If they both WANT to be in the match I can see it working on some level, but the entire premise is "I am finally getting my hands on you. You have nowhere to run."

Just thrown out the window with a door option. Over the top or not at all!

Striker

Why put a damn door on a cage anyway? It's suppose to be the most brutal match ever and you giving dudes the easy way out.
Same for Hell in a Cell having doors.

I think the only time I thought it was worthwhile was when they had Kane debut and rip the door of its hinges.

They've watered down and overdone that match now is means nothing.

Trainwreck was... good. I think I'd had it built up to expect something less traditional shall we say.

I did not need to see Cena with towel on cock.
He was pretty good tho

Sephzilla

HITC is these EDGY 90S cage match anyways. Don't know why it lived past the 90s.

If the idea behind the match is "one person can no longer escape from the other" then Hell in a Cell is honestly a better idea than a normal cage match. What's hurt hell in a cell matches are A) there's too many of them now, so when HIAC actually gets announced it has no meaning, and B) everyone feels like they need to have their one big OMG spot that reminds everyone of Mick Foley

I think the only time I thought it was worthwhile was when they had Kane debut and rip the door of its hinges.

Honestly it's probably so someone can quickly get in/out of the cage should something go wrong.

I always thought it was cool how the old stipulation for a no holds barred match was that you can only win through submission or referee stoppage

RP912

Banned

Pretty much. I think the last good HITC match was Edge/Taker.

HITC is these EDGY 90S cage match anyways. Don't know why it lived past the 90s.

Guess it's the WWE's staple to WCW's Wargames.

Fave five HIAC & cage matches in WWE/WCW?

C'mon, friends, get me to sub to the Network

1. Brock/Taker at No Mercy 02
2. Dangerous Alliance/Stings Squadron at WrestleWar 92
3. Edge/Taker at Summerslam 2008
4. Bret/Owen at Summerslam 94
5. Hogan/Flair at Halloween Havoc 94

Getting into podcasts...any good wrassle ones?

Buddy Landel on Art of Wrestling

William Regal on AoW pt. 1

William Regal on AoW pt. 2

Jim Johnston on Steve Austin Podcast

Vampiro on Steve Austin is really really good. Vampiro's story and current involvement with Lucha Underground is great to hear about and it also is the best I've heard from SCSA in a long while.

I also like Bauer & Pollock for current wrestling happenings. Just two guys talking that have good perspectives and good voices. (It's off the air until the G1 is over.)

Cheap Heat is my guilty pleasure for wrestling podcasts. It's too "morning radio" for me due to Rosenberg being a HOT 97 DJ but I stick with it. Dave Shoemaker is great and Stat Guy Greg is a fun character.

Top Bottom