• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I saw some Fave Five Shooters

5. Twinbee Detana
4. Lords of Thunder
3. Gunbird 2
2. Mars Matrix
1. Dimahoo

Tanahashi is awesome. Don't knock the air guitar

83zsTXg.gif

I think Tanahashi vs. Okada is proof that you can have too much of a good thing. I think their match at WK will be great, but damn am I tired of that being the big match.

RP912

Banned
On a different note...Naka/Okada was truly an amazing match. See matches like this justify my NJPWorld subscription despite Okada/Tana being the big fight feel for another decade to come. Shit is like the new Inoki/Singh

I think Tanahashi vs. Okada is proof that you can have too much of a good thing. I think their match at WK will be great, but damn am I tired of that being the big match.

It's likely the last time they have a match at least at WK. It's honestly a perfect end to the "Okada can't win at the big show" years-long angle, and against the only guy left that he couldn't beat

I swear, the hyperbole about Okada/Tana is ridiculous - this is pretty obviously the final act of their story and I will gladly eat crow if Tana's anywhere near the WK11 main event, or even if Okada & Tanahashi wrestle more than once in 2016. I get that some people are sick of it already, but the sooner it's over and done with the sooner they can move onto something else.

RP912

Banned
I swear, the hyperbole about Okada/Tana is ridiculous - this is pretty obviously the final act of their story and I will gladly eat crow if Tana's anywhere near the WK11 main event, or even if Okada & Tanahashi wrestle more than once in 2016. I get that some people are sick of it already, but the sooner it's over and done with the sooner they can move onto something else.

I don't really mind the matches, but I wish they could change the record from time to time. I know anything is possible between now and WK, but still...Naka needs to headline the big one with his glorious entrances.

It's likely the last time they have a match at least at WK. It's honestly a perfect end to the "Okada can't win at the big show" years-long angle, and against the only guy left that he couldn't beat

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the story they are telling. WK10 will be Okada's final ascension to the top spot where he beats and replaces Tanahashi as the guy for NJPW. He couldn't overcome him at WK in the past, and failed in the main event of WK9. This is his redemption moment. I get the story they are going for, but I think they let it drag just one match too long. If you wanted to do that, WK9 was the place to do it. It'll likely be their last big match together, but it's hard to get excited to see it as the centerpiece match for the seventh time in three years.

C'mon, guys. We've already lost Misawa. We can't ask Kobashi to come out of retirement to fight Suzuki.

That said, Kobashi in a suit and glasses is basically what Clark Kent should look like.

I wish. It's probably going to be that bum marufuji

Or Nagata for the 80 billionth time.

And Boots, yes, I will agree that the hyperbole around Tanahashi is a bit silly, the year has revolved around the story of Okada not being able to win the big one, and now it looks like he will have another chance at the one thing his career has been missing, a victory over the ace of the company at the biggest show of the year. And with Tana getting up there in years (dude is 39) this may be the final chance for him to officially convey his status of ace to Okada. And these two have made for many, many great matches in the past, so WK10 should be another classic.

That said, it's hard not to feel that the main event scene is stagnant right now. It's Tanahashi, Okada, and AJ. That's it. There's plenty of talent right below the surface - Naito, Ibushi, Shibata, Goto, and of course, Swagsuke himself, who would in no way be out of place in challenging for the gold. But again, they get overlooked by Eat, Sleep, High Fly Flow, Repeat. I get that this is New Japan's hottest rivalry, but I feel like the booking is just in a total holding pattern right now and Gedo and Jado are too afraid to give anyone a chance, even though all five of the guys I just mentioned are ridiculously over right now. I get that they need to fill a 80,000 seat stadium and going with a proven draw is the best way to do it...I just want some variety.

One can only hope that we get a double main event with Nakamura vs. AJ.

Who's watched the Tim Donst documentary yet? Planning on watching tonight, how is it people? Link below for those who are interested and didn't know. For those unaware, Donst is a wrestler who was diagnosed with cancer and made a comeback (much like Kris Travis of UK wrestling fame) and has wrestled for AIW and CZW mainly among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3keX5aFGBc

I haven't watched Dragon Gate in awhile and I've only watched it sparsely, but I always really dug their whole pomp and circumstance when it came to title matches. The photograph in the middle of the ring, the national anthems of each competitor being played, all of it.

I even like their whole Open the dream gate title with the keys and everything.

I haven't watched Dragon Gate in awhile and I've only watched it sparsely, but I always really dug their whole pomp and circumstance when it came to title matches. The photograph in the middle of the ring, the national anthems of each competitor being played, all of it.

I even like their whole Open the dream gate title with the keys and everything.

Whatever you do, watch the six man tag they had in ROH a few years ago. Fuck sake it was unreal.

JavyOO7

Kobashi is the shit. I'll never forget the finish where he did his moonsault press and his knee landed right on top of poor Takayama's face. Great match though!!

Top Bottom