• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

2k gonna 2k

eCd8mSJ.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...k16_roster_reveals_some_official_many_leaked/

Menome

Arkham City is good but it's not even the best Arkham game (Asylum is)

It's bloody tight between Asylum and City for me. Asylum has the tighter game structure, but City is big enough to "feel" big without being overwhelming and also features a lot more of my favourites from Batman's rogue's gallery.

Whichever way around they take the No.1 and No.2 spots, they're both better than Knight was in my opinion.

RP912

Banned
I can safely say that my Movie of the Year is easily Mad Max Fury Road, however. That movie is safely in the discussion for one of the all time great action movies

The more open world nature of City got a bit tedious and the entire last act of the story is an absolute fucking mess. It's like someone told Paul Dini "I bet you cant put X amount of pointless plot twists into the ending" and he responded with challenge accepted.

Jurassic World for me unless I see Straight Outta Compton soon :/.

Yeah the more it became open world, my attention span took a nosedive. I just couldn't finish the game at all. Maybe the Batmobile should have made a debut in AC.

Jack Nicholson looking marvelous in this game.

Menome

That's a surprising option. Regarding hearing and disability, I'm super psyched that AbleGamers have released a nice checklist for devs so they can make their games easier to access for people with any kind of issue. That shit is important and a lot of it is nearly effortless, people just forget because they may have no issues, but a little time can make a world of difference.

Yup. It's surprising how many games still don't even have 100% subtitle coverage. I can still hear well enough that I know when a line's been missed out from the text on screen.

To be a bit on-topic; got to give credit to WWE Network for having subs on everything I've watched so far, even the PPVs when they've only just been uploaded to there.

Sephzilla

Jurassic World for me unless I see Straight Outta Compton soon :/.

The more I let Jurassic World sink in the more I think I was actually disappointed by it. The first half of the movie was an interesting Jurassic Park sequel and then the second half is a pretty good monster movie but kind of a shitty Jurassic Park movie.

I do want to see Straight Outta Compton though, that looks good. Also, Ant-Man might be my #2 movie of the year. That shit was FnP as fuck.

Arkham Knight can suck it. TERRIBLE ending.

Why does the Arkham franchise seem cursed to shitty endings?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hard time with subs for WWE in-ring action. Combo of it all coming too late, and being words I don't necessarily care about.

Menome

I have a hard time with subs for WWE in-ring action. Combo of it all coming too late, and being words I don't necessarily care about.

I imagine when being done live it's not so great. Probably end up with "HE WRESTLES" like the BBC Kanye West performance. Being in the UK, only one I've seen live so far was Wrestlemania and my flatmate had the sound turned up quite high anyway as both our neighbours' flats were empty.

Pre-recorded content though is mostly top-notch so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gwent is a Kideo of the Year nominee, Witcher 3 isn't.

If they made a Gwent iOS/Android app, they could make some serious money.

"Witcher 3 wouldn't have been possible without the console market" is wrong.

Witcher 3 would have been possible with sweet F2P mobile money. Gwent packs...

RP912

Banned
Witcher 3 was rad, epically when that game gets going. Gwent is amazing.

Need to return to Bloodborne at some point.

I hate Gwent. I can't win a damn game to save my life. Maybe it's my shitty deck.

The more I let Jurassic World sink in the more I think I was actually disappointed by it. The first half of the movie was an interesting Jurassic Park sequel and then the second half is a pretty good monster movie but kind of a shitty Jurassic Park movie.

I do want to see Straight Outta Compton though, that looks good. Also, Ant-Man might be my #2 movie of the year. That shit was FnP as fuck.

Why does the Arkham franchise seem cursed to shitty endings?

I like JW for the popcorn aspect of it. If you ignore the dumb plot and "love interest" crap...it's a pretty good movie for what it's worth. It's not as serious as the past JP movies, but it still gets the job done.

As far as Arkham having shitty endings...Origins wasn't that bad. The game overall was pretty good. It's a shame that Rocksteady treat the game like it never happened.

think I'm over rocket league brehs, I want Psyonix to finish buttoning up Nosgoth instead~

Could I put Killer Instinct as my game of the year for the past three years?

Mad Max is the best film of the year in a terrible year for film. Increasingly I find myself looking to decades past for new films to watch, rather than going to see the latest over-hyped, CG-heavy, shallow and ultimately unsatisfying shitfest, but Mad Max was a genuine surprise - it's obviously very action packed, but I delighted in how bizarre and how unconcerned it was with answering questions about the world in which it was set. Super light on exposition, it was the definition of what an action film should be and, once it was over, I immediately wanted to watch it again. I haven't been able to say that about a new film in the longest time.

RP912

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;175725054 said:
think I'm over rocket league brehs:

Could I put Killer Instinct as my game of the year for the past three years?

Sure...Simcity 2013 been my GOTY for 2 years straight.

Mad Max is the best film of the year in a terrible year for film. Increasingly I find myself looking to decades past for new films to watch, rather than going to see the latest over-hyped, CG-heavy, shallow and ultimately unsatisfying shitfest, but Mad Max was a genuine surprise -

What you mean the current superhero blockbuster machine isn't doing it for you how can that possibly be :U

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mad Max is the best film of the year in a terrible year for film. Increasingly I find myself looking to decades past for new films to watch, rather than going to see the latest over-hyped, CG-heavy, shallow and ultimately unsatisfying shitfest, but Mad Max was a genuine surprise - it's obviously very action packed, but I delighted in how bizarre and how unconcerned it was with answering questions about the world in which it was set. Super light on exposition, it was the definition of what an action film should be and, once it was over, I immediately wanted to watch it again. I haven't been able to say that about a new film in the longest time.

I watched Hardware from 1990 the other night. I think you'd enjoy it on two levels. It's not a magnificent movie but it has some good things. Looks like an old Front Line Assembly music video which works in its favor.

ZJ07hvb.png

asQVsqg.jpg

Sephzilla

Fury Road feels like a movie from the 80s or early 90s back when practical effects were still a thing and CG was used to assist what's already on screen instead of straight up replace what's already on screen. It's a throwback movie and that's why it feels so fresh, especially when you compare it to stuff like Jurassic World or Terminator 5 (Jurassic World almost entirely lacking animatronic dinosaurs really upset me).

Also I agree regarding looking at past films. They really don't make movies like they used to.

Menome

I'm part of the problem; the only two films I've seen at the cinema this year are Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. I was moving house and thus broke when Fury Road was out, so I intend on grabbing it on Blu-Ray and doing a Mad Max marathon over Christmas.

Sephzilla

I'm part of the problem; the only two films I've seen at the cinema this year are Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. I was moving house and thus broke when Fury Road was out, so I intend on grabbing it on Blu-Ray and doing a Mad Max marathon over Christmas.

Both of those movies were fine. (Ant-Man was better). The hate Age of Ultron gets is a little overblown, but that's because Marvel is in that "it's so popular people hate it because it's popular" phase

jred2k

Ant-Man was a lot of fun too. I just saw it last week, but it was the most enjoyable Marvel film I'd seen in a while. Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Michael Pena were all great.

imBask

Banned
Past 5 year GOTY

2015 so far : Witcher 3 by a huuuuuuuge margin
2014 : Bayonetta 2
2013 : ALTTP 2
2012 : Walking Dead S1
2011 : Arkham City I guess

Heel

If they made a Gwent iOS/Android app, they could make some serious money.

"Witcher 3 wouldn't have been possible without the console market" is wrong.

Witcher 3 would have been possible with sweet F2P mobile money. Gwent packs...

Gwent with the Hearthstone model is a slam dunk. I'd be surprised if they didn't do something. You'd need to tweak and flesh out the game a bit, though.

Heroman

Banned
I never got praise mad max has gotten, I saw thought it was good and forgot about it , expect for the last 20 min. Maybe cause people said it was best action movie ever so I go my hope up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want to watch more Cyberpunk movies. Anime as well.

Hardware is on Netflix. Some other recommendations I have for those:

Blade Runner, of course - if anyone hasn't seen it just because, you should hunt down the blu-ray, it looks unbelievably good. A+ movie, and one of the classics for a reason.

AI is absolutely incredible, must-see.

Johnny Mnemonic was pretty dope, too.

Sephzilla

My MOTY for the last few years

2015 - Mad Max Fury Road
2014 - John Wick / Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2013 - Snowpiercer
2012 - The Avengers
2011 - X-Men: First Class
2010 - Toy Story 3

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I never do Movie of the Year stuff because I rarely catch new films, I prefer to just get to stuff whenever, so I'll just do a Fave Five.

5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - in a way I liked Temple of Doom more as it was more pulpy, but Last Crusade is absolutely EVERYTHING I love about Indiana Jones in a long-ass movie. The best!
4. Groundhog Day - expertly written and performed, clever, everything
3. Predator - taut thriller that hits all the right notes
2. Conan the Barbarian - nearly perfect, music especially (Serpent Temple music that wasn't on the soundtrack is EXCEPTIONAL)
1. Magnolia - unbelievable

RP912

Banned
MOTY for the past years

1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Watchmen
4. Her
5. Inception

Jumbo Tsuruta vs Big Bossman from '88;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8hso-zx40

Surly Jumbo cooperates throughout, but is visibly annoyed at Bubba's shitness (he was only 3 years into his career at this point) and poor selling of the patented Jumbo high knee. The final straw comes when Bubba messes up the cobra twist, so Jumbo takes him to the mat and grapplefucks his ankle to pieces. Doesn't look like the planned finish, the ref's confused and Bubba seems to be in a ton of pain. This was Bubba's last night of the tour and they'd been building towards the match with a number of tags, but there Bubba's deficiencies had been effectively disguised by Snuka & Brody, whereas here he was on his own, inexperienced and wrestling a guy with little patience for his inability in a rather embarrassing semi-main event. Incidentally, the main event of this show was Brody's last ever match in All Japan, his death occurring just two months later.

I watched Hardware from 1990 the other night. I think you'd enjoy it on two levels. It's not a magnificent movie but it has some good things. Looks like an old Front Line Assembly music video which works in its favor.

This looks like the sort of thing I'd be interested in for sure! Added to the list.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My movie Fave Five isn't right.

There's simply too many. It has to be broken down somehow. The original Rocky isn't on there, which is an incredible love story. Lock Stock and Two Smoke Barrels isn't there, First Blood isn't there...

I just can't pick five.

Sephzilla

If I did a Fav Five or Top Ten for movies I just know that #1 would be RoboCop, #2 would be The Matrix, and 3-10 would be an unordered mess of classics

I never do Movie of the Year stuff because I rarely catch new films, I prefer to just get to stuff whenever, so I'll just do a Fave Five.

5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - in a way I liked Temple of Doom more as it was more pulpy, but Last Crusade is absolutely EVERYTHING I love about Indiana Jones in a long-ass movie. The best!
4. Groundhog Day - expertly written and performed, clever, everything
3. Predator - taut thriller that hits all the right notes
2. Conan the Barbarian - nearly perfect, music especially (Serpent Temple music that wasn't on the soundtrack is EXCEPTIONAL)
1. Magnolia - unbelievable

MyMan.gif

Last Crusade is quite possibly the perfect adventure movie (I'd also say its a dark horse candidate for Steven Spielberg's best movie). I also think Temple of Doom gets way more hate than it deserves (it has way better pacing than Raiders did).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jumbo Tsuruta vs Big Bossman from '88;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8hso-zx40

Surly Jumbo cooperates throughout, but is visibly annoyed at Bubba's shitness (he was only 3 years into his career at this point) and poor selling of the patented Jumbo high knee. The final straw comes when Bubba messes up the cobra twist, so Jumbo takes him to the mat and grapplefucks his ankle to pieces. Doesn't look like the planned finish, the ref's confused and Bubba seems to be in a ton of pain. This was Bubba's last night of the tour and they'd been building towards the match with a number of tags, but there Bubba's deficiencies had been effectively disguised by Snuka & Brody, whereas here he was on his own, inexperienced and wrestling a guy with little patience for his inability in a rather embarrassing semi-main event. Incidentally, the main event of this show was Brody's last ever match in All Japan, his death occurring just two months later.

Huh, for some reason I read it as "98" instead of "88" and that'd be MUCH different for both dudes.

Bossman did have a great amount of talent but I can see the talent he did have in 88 absolutely not coming across to the Japanese style at the time. I'll be watching this later...thank you.

Sephzilla

1- RoboCop (original)
2- The Matrix
3- Terminator 2
4- Return of the Jedi
5- Aliens
6- Mad Max Fury Road
7- Empire Strikes Back
8- Die Hard
9- Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
10- Batman Begins

Major honorable mention - Back to the Future

jmdajr

If I made a list I'd miss on stuff for sure. I'll go look through My Fandango account and see what I liked recently though.

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
Jurassic World
Mad Max
Interstellar
Dawn of The Planet of the Apes
Skyfall
Edge of Tomorrow.

I like all the Marvel Movies but I expect them to wow me. LIVE.DIE.REPEAT.

edi: Almost forgot Edge of Tomorrow. Should have made more money!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
MyMan.gif

Last Crusade is quite possibly the perfect adventure movie (I'd also say its a dark horse candidate for Steven Spielberg's best movie). I also think Temple of Doom gets way more hate than it deserves (it has way better pacing than Raiders did).

Temple of Doom definitely gets more hate than it deserved imho. Temple is like picking up a book from a used bookstore about an action hero you've never read any books of, but it's one in a list of over 50 books that were written about that hero. In a way, kind of reminds me of if you were to pick a random Conan book out of nowhere. It's just a slice of a storied life that Indy had.

Plus Mola Ram was an AWESOME villain. Dude should have been in wrasslin.
7v7fREW.png

Top Bottom