• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Oersted

First thing that came into my head:

E79DqoT.0.gif

Sign on the head

Smarks ain't the same anymore

Mengetsu

Everything in this gif is like WWE bizarro land for lapsed 90's/2000 fans. The punch misses, that guys sign in the crowd is upside down? There's only one sign in the crowd and the fans looks bored as hell. I could imagine a old fan tuned in at that moment and saying "What the hell is this?"

Friends, I listened to this free episode of Dr. Keith Presents last night and greatly enjoyed the discussion between Alan4L and VoicesofWrestling.com's Joe M. Lanza about disruptive moments in professional wrestling. The discussion covered influential disruptions in wrestling like the Dynamite Kid/Tiger Mask matches, the rise of 1980s joshi, Michinoku Pro, ECW, and ROH's first Dragon Gate six-man tag. I recommend it to all of you.

Vylash

True but you can't deny that AJ made the title worth something again when it was just swapped back and forth between the divas without substance. Sure it was Aj and Paige doing their best Macho/Hogan match swap, but that just says something about booking. You have a division that can't do more than just basic moves while AJ, Paige, and Kat were going to the distance.I would love to see Fox wrestled like how she did on NXT or Nattie back to her old self. Unfortunately, that will never happen because booking looks at Women's wrestling as a joke :(.

what did AJ do for the title besides "hold it for a long time"

Ithil

I give it to Strong Style Nikki...she at least tries to make you believe she's legit. That being said, she needs a match to make people believe in the hype and so far it's just been meh to ok matches with her.

Doing an elbow doesn't make you strong style.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friends, I listened to this free episode of Dr. Keith Presents last night and greatly enjoyed the discussion between Alan4L and VoicesofWrestling.com's Joe M. Lanza about disruptive moments in professional wrestling. The discussion covered influential disruptions in wrestling like the Dynamite Kid/Tiger Mask matches, the rise of 1980s joshi, Michinoku Pro, ECW, and ROH's first Dragon Gate six-man tag. I recommend it to all of you.

This sounds really good, I'll get it for my drive home.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess we should seriously have this discussion.

John Cena. 16 time world heavyweight champion. Deserving?

I say absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt he is what wrestling is today, and his influence is felt to a huge degree. Everyone looks to him and says "Well if you want to see what being the champion is about, look at Cena." Why? Charity. Hard work. His character. It's all there. He's seriously perfect for that.

Not a knock on anyone else, but he absolutely will be leaving behind a huge legacy and has made the wrestling world, and real world, better for it.

Stewart turns on Cena, helps Rollins. Sheamus cashes in on Rollins for the fuck finish.

Undertaker vs. Lesnar headlines WrestleMania. Cena vs. Ambrose vs. Reigns vs. Rollins for the title with a McMahon in every corner as the sub-main.

imBask

Banned

I say absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt he is what wrestling is today, and his influence is felt to a huge degree. Everyone looks to him and says "Well if you want to see what being the champion is about, look at Cena." Why? Charity. Hard work. His character. It's all there. He's seriously perfect for that.

Not a knock on anyone else, but he absolutely will be leaving behind a huge legacy and has made the wrestling world, and real world, better for it.

what is "deserving" in wrestling? having lots of fans? being a good guy backstage? being a good corporate dude? being a good performer?

he's a good guy, an okay wrestler and a good corporate boy...

yes he is what wrestling is today, but is it really a good thing? ratings are low, people don't care anymore and most hardcore fans who gave up on WWE during the 00s will tell you it's because of Cena

Flair has now said multiple times he's the only guy currently around that deserves to be 16 time and 17 time world champ.

It's one of the only things Flair hasn't lied about. Nobody else in the business deserves it, and I'm glad it's going to happen.

After his promo on RAW, yes he deserves to be that guy. Every heel that has gone up against him has only had one thing to say while he's had ten. Even discounting his contributions outside of the ring he's built up that mystique and the rep that I can say he deserves it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
what is "deserving" in wrestling? having lots of fans? being a good guy backstage? being a good corporate dude? being a good performer?

he's a good guy, an okay wrestler and a good corporate boy...

yes he is what wrestling is today, but is it really a good thing? ratings are low, people don't care anymore and most hardcore fans who gave up on WWE during the 00s will tell you it's because of Cena

That's the biggest question. What is "deserving"? And to who? To me, a fan of wrestling, my criteria may be different.

Flair has now said multiple times he's the only guy currently around that deserves to be 16 time and 17 time world champ.

It's one of the only things Flair hasn't lied about. Nobody else in the business deserves it, and I'm glad it's going to happen.

He said that? That's cool of him.

Aiii

So not worth it

In this day and age, a 16-time run for a guy who's been in the main event for as long as Cena has? It's fine.

Besides, after the run he's had this year, if he was ever deserving of a title run, it is now.

I have only one request, when he does become champ: he continues his weekly open challenge gimmick.

That's the biggest question. What is "deserving"? And to who? To me, a fan of wrestling, my criteria may be different.

He said that? That's cool of him.

He said it months ago, and then this past weekend he reiterated it: he believes nobody else in the business deserves it more than Cena and he's honored

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In this day and age, a 16-time run for a guy who's been in the main event for as long as Cena has? It's fine.

Besides, after the run he's had this year, if he was ever deserving of a title run, it is now.

I have only one request, when he does become champ: he continues his weekly open challenge gimmick.

I'd love that, but at the same time I think it needs to be like the TV Title rules they have kinda had with the US belt these past few months. Great stuff, and that's something that I'd love to see stay there.

And yeah, he's had one hell of a year. Many match of the year contenders.

klonere

Banned
Divas Revolution is giving women a better chance to excel. It's not about storyline, it's not about their characters - all that can go any direction.

It's about getting back to what makes women's wrestling interesting, and finally being given the time to make something. If they aren't so good at it, then that's no different than anyone else, but it's meant to level the playing field. Forget all the "Well they're just trying to cash in on Rousey" or anything like that.

Anything that provides better opportunities for women, I am completely behind it and rooting for success. Women have been ignored or treated like garbage for far too long, and this helps. The end.

Who am I cheering? Who are the good guys or bad guys? Is the story really that I am meant to be cheering everyone on simply because they are getting two 10 minute segments every week? Because Charlotte gets to spear some people on Raw? Because for some bizarre reason a heel authority figure woke up one day and said "No more twin magic finishes, Ronda Rousey!!" implicitly being the genesis and mastermind for this "Divas Revolution" instead of perhaps putting the girls themselves forward as the progenitors of the movement instead?

Why are they grouped as such? Charlotte and Becky in the same group makes zero sense, they never teamed in NXT to my knowledge at all, Becky has been a heel for most of her NXT run, teaming with Sasha, I suppose she organically turned face after the last Sasha match? Sasha got thrown in with a group where she has that certain something in common - I guess that's fine haha? I know the Bellas are meant to be heels but they haven't done anything particularly heel-ish since this whole thing started. Team BAD has done jack shit either way. PCB/We Didn't Use Google are faces because they smile sincerely instead of that other type of smile Divas are directed to use. All they've done is had some average to good matches on Raw and Smackdown with zero consequence or development.

The groups are all feuding to see who's better? Then then have none of the women demanded title shots after pinning or submitting the champ? Where's the where's the compelling reason to give a damn about a Summerslam multi team tag which we have seen plenty of over the last few weeks, with no stakes, no consequences, no effort put into by creative? Its not about their characters? What? Wasn't that the whole point of NXT, so that they can develop their characters even more so than their in ring, their characters the things that put butts in seats on the big stage? Sure all their NXT matches in a vacuum were great but it was the storylines for me that put them over the edge every time. And now its all been thrown to the wayside on the main roster, for no good reason.

When Becky broke away from Sasha having found her harder edge, her killer instinct, put her in the armbar before Takeover that was character, simple, subtle but more than enough to sell the match. The current Bayley storyline is equally as simple and easy to understand, she always came up short against any of the other Big 3, or relied on Charlotte to bail her out when she'd get beaten down by the heels (Heels! Doing heel things!). But now she's beating them all one by one and has a shot at showing that she can be champ as well. That's a great, compelling setup for the match at Takeover that makes it a must watch.

And so when they send these girls out at two and a half hours into Raw and the crowd gives them the old JBL JBL or whatever they were chanting last night (and of course, the sexist shit is reprehensible and not excused by any of this I hate this has to be said) creative and management shrugs their shoulders and tells they they can start slamming the mat with their hands because by fucking god the friction between the canvas and their palms is the only heat they are going to get.

Sephzilla

Absolutely not. His number of world championships is an inflated number since his company ran with two world championships for a good chunk of his career

Disagree. Keep it with the U.S. Belt but not the world title. At some point the WWE is going to need to build an actual feud around that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Absolutely not. His number of world championships is an inflated number since his company ran with two world championships for a good chunk of his career

Flair ran with a company that had two world championships for a good portion of his career too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who am I cheering? Who are the good guys or bad guys? Is the story really that I am meant to be cheering everyone on simply because they are getting two 10 minute segments every week? Because Charlotte gets to spear some people on Raw? Because for some bizarre reason a heel authority figure woke up one day and said "No more twin magic finishes, Ronda Rousey!!" implicitly being the genesis and mastermind for this "Divas Revolution" instead of perhaps putting the girls themselves forward as the progenitors of the movement instead?

Why are they grouped as such? Charlotte and Becky in the same group makes zero sense, they never teamed in NXT to my knowledge at all, Becky has been a heel for most of her NXT run, teaming with Sasha, I suppose she organically turned face after the last Sasha match? Sasha got thrown in with a group where she has that certain something in common - I guess that's fine haha? I know the Bellas are meant to be heels but they haven't done anything particularly heel-ish since this whole thing started. Team BAD has done jack shit either way. PCB/We Didn't Use Google are faces because they smile sincerely instead of that other type of smile Divas are directed to use. All they've done is had some average to good matches on Raw and Smackdown with zero consequence or development.

The groups are all feuding to see who's better? Then then have none of the women demanded title shots after pinning or submitting the champ? Where's the where's the compelling reason to give a damn about a Summerslam multi team tag which we have seen plenty of over the last few weeks, with no stakes, no consequences, no effort put into by creative? Its not about their characters? What? Wasn't that the whole point of NXT, so that they can develop their characters even more so than their in ring, their characters the things that put butts in seats on the big stage? Sure all their NXT matches in a vacuum were great but it was the storylines for me that put them over the edge every time. And now its all been thrown to the wayside on the main roster, for no good reason.

When Becky broke away from Sasha having found her harder edge, her killer instinct, put her in the armbar before Takeover that was character, simple, subtle but more than enough to sell the match. The current Bayley storyline is equally as simple and easy to understand, she always came up short against any of the other Big 3, or relied on Charlotte to bail her out when she'd get beaten down by the heels (Heels! Doing heel things!). But now she's beating them all one by one and has a shot at showing that she can be champ as well. That's a great, compelling setup for the match at Takeover that makes it a must watch.

And so when they send these girls out at two and a half hours into Raw and the crowd gives them the old JBL JBL or whatever they were chanting last night (and of course, the sexist shit is reprehensible and not excused by any of this I hate this has to be said) creative and management shrugs their shoulders and tells they they can start slamming the mat with their hands because by fucking god the friction between the canvas and their palms is the only heat they are going to get.

I appreciate the in depth write up of the issues you have with the storyline, and I think that really gets to the crux of where our different schools of thought are. You're concerned about "in-universe" implications, themes, purpose, direction - and that's all fine, that's all very valid stuff. While I'm not very hot on the storyline for the same reasons you stated, with the bigger picture involved (that I'm really placing a LOT more of my enthusiasm on) has me excited for what the future will bring. Yeah, it's WWE, and yeah, they fuck it up, but there's some hope.

Things like "Why would you have Stephanie come introduce them like she's the star?" bothers a lot of people, but it doesn't bother me - because it's at least a chance. It shows that they're willing to put them front and center in important things with an important figure from the back office and on-screen.

Will WWE fuck up their story? I'm sure they will, whether it's on purpose, due to extenuating circumstances, or completely accidentally, I'm sure it's going to get a little worse. But I'm psyched and pleased that the bigger picture is opening up, and people, especially little girls, can have their role models be more than Kelly Kelly's old character. That's where I place the value, and due to that I can handwave all the in-universe shit that isn't necessarily logical. It's driving some real change forward, change I think we all can appreciate.

Now I wanna watch some GLOW...

JavyOO7

My GOTY is Splatoon... just great all around. I curse like a sailor and promise to never play again because I get wrecked, but then relax, come play again a few hours later, and I'm back on equal footing. 2 maps for normal and rank at a four hour clip is weird but I've grown accustomed to it. So happy Nintendo made a great shooter and decided to spread their wings a bit... maybe they could make an awesome wrestling game next?

If not, I'll make it. =p

Mario Maker has a good chance to beat GOTY... but it does seem like to me Splatoon will hold on to that title this year. I say this not having played 'Life is Strange' and 'Her Story' and other PC games... I really want to play those games but I'll need a better machine than my Mac Mini 2k11 machine.

EDIT - And I'm at A- ranking!!!!

WVW69iTMPJsWwuG6Ws

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How soon people forget that we used to have one 2-3 minute Diva match with a distraction finish/school boy rollup a week on RAW. The only feud 90% of the time was the champ and whomever she was facing at the time, almost always in a non title match.

The flair situation is weird because he played heel for most of his career, so it's not like every one of those wins were clean. Also, in ric's own words he said "I lost 3,000 matches and won 16."

If you're sticking to purely kayfabe, then yeah John deserves it. Is that number inflated because of two titles? Sure. Has Cena, despite being "the guy," had to play the role of the transitional champion? Yep. That's just the way things have worked out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The flair situation is weird because he played heel for most of his career, so it's not like every one of those wins were clean. Also, in ric's own words he said "I lost 3,000 matches and won 16."

If you're sticking to purely kayfabe, then yeah John deserves it. Is that number inflated because of two titles? Sure. Has Cena, despite being "the guy," had to play the role of the transitional champion? Yep. That's just the way things have worked out.

Bret, despite being the guy for half a decade, was transitional champion four times.

Put on good matches with story telling. AJ/Kat was probably the best feud I have ever seen in the Divas division next to Lita/Trish...

She also a good grappler at times. Who are you to doubt strong style Nikki?
Stephanie is better at strong style than Nikki. That's not a dig, either. Steph's last match was amazing.

Sephzilla

I think there's also a case to be made that Cena during his big world title runs actually contributed to a decline in the popularity of professional wrestling, something that I wouldn't say is true for most of the other big "faces of the company" in the history of the business. I know it's not entirely his fault, though.

Top Bottom