• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Stephanie is better at strong style than Nikki. That's not a dig, either. Steph's last match was amazing.

Sign Amazing Kong and MMAksana back, team them with Nikki Bella and Stephanie McMahon, and you have the real Four Horsewomen.

stephanie-mcmahon-4-horsewomen.gif

I'm a era where Orton is a 12 time champand edge is 8. Triple H has 14.

WWE titles are like the economy over inflated. Cena having 16 makes sense due to this

I don't think the actual number means anything - John's as important to WWE today as Bruno was to them in the past, that's all that really matters. Whether his impact's as lasting remains to be seen and I've always maintained that, when all's said and done, the list of stars he's elevated will pale in comparison to other all time greats, but yes: he deserves it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The Diva Revolution is a joke, I don't see how anyone could disagree with that right now. They get 10 minutes every Monday for their usual bullshit mixed tag matches instead of 3, big deal.

I still can't believe there was a PPV where Orton won the belt to open the PPV, lost it to HHH in the opening match, and won it in a rematch with HHH in the main event

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a era where Orton is a 12 time champand edge is 8. Triple H has 14.

WWE titles are like the economy over inflated. Cena having 16 makes sense due to this

Don't forget that while the brand split added another title to the mix the belt is also defended at least four times as much as it was in the NWA days.

Browny

Banned
The amount of reigns is in proportion to the amount of TV and PPV output there is. Flair had 16 reigns in an era of maybe 2 hours of TV a week, and a PPV every other month (give or take a Clash or two).

Nowadays, there is 5 hours a week, plus a PPV each month - hence why there are (relatively) so many title changes.

Edit: beaten like a plumber...

klonere

Banned
I appreciate the in depth write up of the issues you have with the storyline, and I think that really gets to the crux of where our different schools of thought are. You're concerned about "in-universe" implications, themes, purpose, direction - and that's all fine, that's all very valid stuff. While I'm not very hot on the storyline for the same reasons you stated, with the bigger picture involved (that I'm really placing a LOT more of my enthusiasm on) has me excited for what the future will bring. Yeah, it's WWE, and yeah, they fuck it up, but there's some hope.

Things like "Why would you have Stephanie come introduce them like she's the star?" bothers a lot of people, but it doesn't bother me - because it's at least a chance. It shows that they're willing to put them front and center in important things with an important figure from the back office and on-screen.

Will WWE fuck up their story? I'm sure they will, whether it's on purpose, due to extenuating circumstances, or completely accidentally, I'm sure it's going to get a little worse. But I'm psyched and pleased that the bigger picture is opening up, and people, especially little girls, can have their role models be more than Kelly Kelly's old character. That's where I place the value, and due to that I can handwave all the in-universe shit that isn't necessarily logical. It's driving some real change forward, change I think we all can appreciate.

Now I wanna watch some GLOW...

I guess all we can say is "We'll see"

I'm just a bit sad the angle is so flaccid when it could have great off the start.

RP912

Banned
It's at a point I could give a shit about if Cena exceeds Flair's record. Hogan is a fuckhead, but he was right about the WWF/E belt being a toy even though it was a work shoot.

kiguel182

Cena posting on the internet about how the internet hates him has to be some next level dumb shit.

Anyway, Cena with that promo just cemented himself, again, as the biggest heel in the company. The "underdog" that never loses, that half the people hate him yet he doesn't care.

Cena might be the face of the company but he is the face of a company that's stagnant with record-low ratings and it's viewed by the majority of the people as a joke. Is it that good to be a face of that?

Cena isn't cool for anyone over the age of 10. He isn't a Flair, a Macho Man, a Rock or Stone Cold. He is a cartoon that most grown up people see as a joke.

So yeah, he is the face of wrestling and we are all worse for it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena posting on the internet about how the internet hates him has to be some next level dumb shit.

Anyway, Cena with that promo just cemented himself, again, as the biggest heel in the company. The "underdog" that never loses, that half the people hate him yet he doesn't care.

Cena might be the face of the company but he is the face of a company that's stagnant with record-low ratings and it's viewed by the majority of the people as a joke. Is it that good to be a face of that?

Cena isn't cool for anyone over the age of 10. He isn't a Flair, a Macho Man, a Rock or Stone Cold. He is a cartoon that most grown up people see as a joke.

So yeah, he is the face of wrestling and we are all worse for it.
TV ratings are no longer a valid measuring stick with so many people giving it up to watch on the internet or on youtube. I'm in my 30s and Cena's dope. Plenty of other people feel that way.

It's great. He's great.

RP912

Banned
One thing I can say about Tana...despite his Cena like ways, at least dude is aware of his top position and rolls with the punches. Everytime Cena opens his mouth, it's like the guy just don't get it. He don't want to acknowledge the fact that he really is a dynasty and tries to play underdog for the last fucking decade. Why keep putting your top tier status under the rug because of the Internet and just admit you are the modern day Bruno. I can't stand when he does the whole "underachiever' shit.

kiguel182

TV ratings are no longer a valid measuring stick with so many people giving it up to watch on the internet or on youtube. I'm in my 30s and Cena's dope. Plenty of other people feel that way.

It's great. He's great.

Cena is the opposite of dope. His character that is.

He is a walking billboard and a superman type of character. He has no weaknesses and never loses. It's literally the opposite of a good character or an interesting one.

But yeah, you like Cena, ratings don't matter and WWE is doing great and is super popular with him at his helm.

One thing I can say about Tana...despite his Cena like ways, at least dude is aware of his top position and rolls with the punches. Everytime Cena opens his mouth, it's like the guy just don't get it. He don't want to acknowledge the fact that he really is a dynasty and tries to play underdog for the last fucking decade. Why keep putting your top tier status under the rug because of the Internet and just admit you are the modern day Bruno. I can't stand when he does the whole "underachiever' shit.

I'm with you on that, entirely sick of Cena having the odds stacked against him - Cena is the odds stacked against other wrestlers and it should totally be presented that way.

Pavaloo

Cena deserves it. One thing I always admire is how he can get every arena he is in involved in his promos. Whether the crowd hates him or is completely apathetic, by the time he's done everyone is into it. He said it best last night saying "half saying I suck half saying I don't, but non of them say a thing about you" has been true for years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena is the opposite of dope. His character that is.

He is a walking billboard and a superman type of character. He has no weaknesses and never loses. It's literally the opposite of a good character or an interesting one.

But yeah, you like Cena, ratings don't matter and WWE is doing great and is super popular with him at his helm.

You don't like Batista. Marinate on THAT!

Cena deserves it. One thing I always admire is how he can get every arena he is in involved in his promos. Whether the crowd hates him or is completely apathetic, by the time he's done everyone is into it. He said it best last night saying "half saying I suck half saying I don't, but non of them say a thing about you" has been true for years.

And he ALWAYS has them eating out of his hand by the end. People get played like a fiddle. It's really fascinating to watch how he does it.

Sephzilla

It's great. He's great.

Other guy: "Vince, our ratings are down"

Vince: "THOSE AREN'T VALID NUMBERS ANYMORE WITH THIS NEW FANGLED INTERNET, DAMNIT"

*Later*

Other guy: "Vince, the Cena/Owens segment was the highest rated portion of the show"

Vince: "SEE! PEOPLE WANT MORE CENA, DAMNIT"

kiguel182

His promos are the text book definition of tone deaf. He doesn't understand why people don't like him and continues to do those awful underdog promos like they make any sense.

And then the heels sell them for some reason and I just can't take any segment with him seriously.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Other guy: "Vince, our ratings are down"

Vince: "THOSE AREN'T VALID NUMBERS ANYMORE WITH THIS NEW FANGLED INTERNET, DAMNIT"

*Later*

Other guy: "Vince, the Cena/Owens segment was the highest rated portion of the show"

Vince: "SEE! PEOPLE WANT MORE CENA, DAMNIT"

If it pulled ratings is was due to a Owens x Dayum Drops crossover review video, pal.

kiguel182

You don't like Batista. Marinate on THAT!

And he ALWAYS has them eating out of his hand by the end. People get played like a fiddle. It's really fascinating to watch how he does it.

I like Batista more than I like Cena that's for sure. At least Batista knew people wouldn't like him and turned heel.

He is also a Bond villain so there's that.

RP912

Banned
Batista was dope despite the hatred towards him. I remember when dudes use to hate his guts during his ruthless aggression days. Once Tista became heel it was glorious.

Hell even his 2014 run was amazing. We need more powerhouses in wrestling that do it for the checks rather than playing the "good guy" all of the time.

Sephzilla

Character wise Cena is the most boring version of the "WWE Superman" character yet, and it's not even close. Hogan, Hart, Austin, and Rock were way less static as characters in comparison to Cena. It's hard to compare Cena's character to Bruno's character though considering how vastly different wrestling was then.

RP912

Banned
His promos are the text book definition of tone deaf. He doesn't understand why people don't like him and continues to do those awful underdog promos like they make any sense.

And then the heels sell them for some reason and I just can't take any segment with him seriously.

Exactly...it's like Cena just doesn't get it and plays the whole "some of yall like me while others don't" care...in reality dudes are tired of him. Don't get me wrong I love his US title reign, however his reign done more damage to up and comers than himself. I wish he would acknowledge his success and not play the average guy gimmick because the shit is played out.

klonere

Banned
Barring Sheamus fuckery in the title vs title (very likely) I forsee Cena winning, then disappointed Dad HHH will feud with entitled millennial child Seth Rollins.

Or in a dream world the same happens except Rollins wins the belts and feuds with HHH saying he's better than THE GAME

Exactly what part of the US open challenge is "underdog"? The whole thing is very clearly set up to make Cena look like the top guy and his opponents the underdogs. Hell, even in this new feud Cena is very obviously set up to look like he's going to decimate Rollins.

The last time this criticism was applicable was during the Rusev feud, and it looks like the book is closed on that one.

Ithil

I guess we should seriously have this discussion.

John Cena. 16 time world heavyweight champion. Deserving?

I say absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt he is what wrestling is today, and his influence is felt to a huge degree. Everyone looks to him and says "Well if you want to see what being the champion is about, look at Cena." Why? Charity. Hard work. His character. It's all there. He's seriously perfect for that.

Not a knock on anyone else, but he absolutely will be leaving behind a huge legacy and has made the wrestling world, and real world, better for it.

Maybe Cena himself, but as far as those 15 title reigns go, how many of them do you remember a single thing about?
Now you could say "how many of Flair's title reigns do you remember stuff about" but then again Flair's real number is somewhere over 20, across a lot of promotions.

Maybe Cena himself, but as far as those 15 title reigns go, how many of them do you remember a single thing about?
Now you could say "how many of Flair's title reigns do you remember stuff about" but then again Flair's real number is somewhere over 20, across a lot of promotions.
Not that I disagree with you, but do you remember

...fuck, that ninja edit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Batista was dope despite the hatred towards him. I remember when dudes use to hate his guts during his ruthless aggression days. Once Tista became heel it was glorious.

Hell even his 2014 run was amazing. We need more powerhouses in wrestling that do it for the checks rather than playing the "good guy" all of the time.

Batista is a shining star. His "retirement" was probably the best retirement of all time, stayed true to the character. Amazing.

Character wise Cena is the most boring version of the "WWE Superman" character yet, and it's not even close. Hogan, Hart, Austin, and Rock were way less static as characters in comparison to Cena. It's hard to compare Cena's character to Bruno's character though considering how vastly different wrestling was then.

Boring or simple and clean? They intersect so much - you could say the Zayn/Owens feud was boring, and simple. But it wasn't. I dunno. Maybe Ithil has some thoughts later...

Cena will save us from all of these low #RollinsEra ratings.

What if Cena wins and Sheamus cashes in MITB?

On the road to 17 time champion...

They're telegraphing Rollins/Trips for Mania, though. Expect some fallout anf a face turn for Rollins around when Ambrose turns on Reigns (possibly at Summerslam, definitely by Survivor Series)

Not a lot. You win! It's true though. Not a lot.

Ithil

I find it's the same for Orton. Apparently Orton is a 12 time champion. What does anyone remember about these many reigns?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find it's the same for Orton. Apparently Orton is a 12 time champion. What does anyone remember about these many reigns?

I remember the Legend Killer run, but not entirely sure he got a title from that. It was a dark period for me with wrestling and I didn't pay attention to much.

His reign with the Triple H Home Invasion angle though? That was good as FUCK. Not just the angle, but I was happy to see Orton CONTINUE to escape with the title.

imBask

Banned

his first reign was cool, with evolution and everything

after that it was cena-orton-cena-orton-cena-orton-edge-cena-orton

Ithil

his first reign was cool, with evolution and everything

after that it was cena-orton-cena-orton-cena-orton-edge-cena-orton

That's the only reign of his I remember, and it was like 3 weeks long. I only remember because of who he won it from.
Granted I didn't watch from 2005-2010.

Sephzilla

Boring or simple and clean? They intersect so much - you could say the Zayn/Owens feud was boring, and simple. But it wasn't. I dunno. Maybe Ithil has some thoughts later...

No, Cena's character is boring. A character that doesn't change at all for as long as he has, and seemingly ignores any events that do happen to him, is a boring character. The Rock was a "simple and clean" character. His character in his prime was an egocentric competitor who would do whatever it took to win whether he was loved or hated for it. Mr McMahon was a simple and clean character. John Cena is a boring character.

Striker

Long title reign need important feuds. A blood rival, if necessary. For instance, CM Punk had that super long reign, but what happened during it? None of his feuds were anything memorable. Unless you want to say getting pushed through a table by a Diva counts. They need to go back and forth with the strap. Not no Triple H-Orton-Cena type of shit they did on Raw years back, but it needs to move. It creates a buzz, especially if the story dictates it.

Things like this also generates more title matches on TV and increases the probability of the title itself changing hands. Likewise, a title changing hands every so often negates the 3-4 month feud non stop BS we've seen the past several years. It creates boring, overly long 'feuds'.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Long title reign need important feuds. A blood rival, if necessary. For instance, CM Punk had that super long reign, but what happened during it? None of his feuds were anything memorable. Unless you want to say getting pushed through a table by a Diva counts. They need to go back and forth with the strap. Not no Triple H-Orton-Cena type of shit they did on Raw years back, but it needs to move. It creates a buzz, especially if the story dictates it.

Ugh, that just reminded me of the GOD AWFUL AJ Lee "suicide" jump. That was some of the worst fucking stupid shit shit shit shit shit trash shit

Top Bottom