• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Only if done right. Like.. the first three or so years of it. Not the hell that was the last few years of the split. It was actually a ton of fun and gave reasons to watch both shows and the drafts would shake things up and open new feuds.
We need a updated Taker pissed off gif but with
Seth
going to SD.

JavyOO7

Well you look at, maggle, first 6 episodes of Nitro '97 are put on the network yesterday. And another episode was added earlier to make the total count 7 episodes into '97. Sweet.

DMczaf

I like to imagine that Steiner's lawyer is just as huge as he is.

00b98580556803854e920515105af179.jpg

SD

* SmackDown opens with pyro and a match - Ryback vs. Big Show. They fight to the floor and Ryback clotheslines Show through the barrier at the timekeeper's area. The match ends in a double count out.
* The New Day defeated Los Matadores and El Torito in a six-man match. The end came when Big E hit the running splash on Torito and Woods tagged in for the pin.
* Dolph Ziggler and Lana come to the ring for a promo. He talks about how he missed Lana and the first thing she said to him when he came back was to "crush those bastards." They start kissing in the middle of the ring but get interrupted by the Bulgarian flag with Rusev's face dropping down over the ring. Rusev comes out and says he's going to break Ziggler like a jig-saw puzzle at SummerSlam and crush him. Ziggler says he's going to kick Rusev's teeth in and "steal Rusev's girlfriend, the real one." Ziggler's music hits to end the promo.
* Neville defeated Bo Dallas with the Red Arrow.
* Alicia Fox cuts a promo with The Bella Twins about Nikki Bella's Divas Title reign. Brie Bella rips the Divas Revolution. Team BAD interrupts with Naomi and Sasha Banks cutting promos about how they will win at SummerSlam. Sasha says Brie has been riding Daniel Bryan's success. Becky Lynch comes out with Charlotte and interrupts Sasha, saying her team will win at SummerSlam. We've got a Triple Threat match next.
* Brie defeated Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch in a Triple Threat when she rolled up Becky.
* Randy Orton, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Cesaro cut promos backstage about their SummerSlam matches.
* Orton, Ambrose, Reigns and Cesaro defeated Sheamus, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper and Kevin Owens in the main event. The match started with Sheamus and Orton. The heels controlled most of the match with a lot of quick tags. Ambrose got a hot tag and hit Dirty Deeds on Harper for the pin. The babyfaces celebrated to end SmackDown.
Yeahhhhhhh I think I'll give it a miss this week :/

Aiii

So not worth it
THE Brian Kendrick made a compilation video for Eva Marie to study and just randomly put Sid breaking his leg in there. What a sadist.

I like that on Eva's list of moves to practice she had "Suzuki sleeper". Wonder if that's Suzuki's bad-ass transition into a sleeper, or Saka Otoshi itself;

aFoLMFR.gif

Striker

So Flair's modern day Horsement would be: The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, and Seth Rollins

Theoretically, they would keep Miz in there to give them the mouth piece. Otherwise, oof.

Amell needs to push for a PPV in Toronto.

With the Canadian dollar tanking it's probably not happening any time soon, I imagine just house show tickets have to be pretty jacked up at this point.

Calling her a ring rat reminded me of that one deranged segment from one of the Divas Searches where they all just started lobbing very un-PG insults at each other live on air.

That was pretty much the best Divas Search segment ever, WWE was still in the post-Attitude era.

THE Brian Kendrick made a compilation video for Eva Marie to study and just randomly put Sid breaking his leg in there. What a sadist.

I laughed.

That was such an awful fucking break, I still get chills thinking about it.

klonere

Banned
I like that on Eva's list of moves to practice she had "Suzuki sleeper". Wonder if that's Suzuki's bad-ass transition into a sleeper, or Saka Otoshi itself;

aFoLMFR.gif

Suzuki is amazing from the one match at WK9 I watched and the stuff in NOAH.

But why are their so many old dudes in NOAH right now?

Guzim

Daniel Bryan's speech to ZZ on Tough Talk...

Oh boy.
I don't watch Tough Enough. What did Bryan say to him?

So Flair's modern day Horsement would be: The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, and Seth Rollins

Theoretically, they would keep Miz in there to give them the mouth piece. Otherwise, oof.
I remember when Flair was in TNA and when asked who would he put in a modern day Horsemen, he always said WWE wrestlers, haha.

Suzuki is amazing from the one match at WK9 I watched and the stuff in NOAH.

But why are their so many old dudes in NOAH right now?

Lack of new stars, basically. That's been the story of NOAH for the past decade now, they left it too late for the old guard to put over the next generation and the young guys they did have coming through never took off in the way Misawa, Kobashi & Kawada did, not that their talents were at all comparable. The two most popular young wrestlers (KENTA & Marufuji) were juniors and, after losing their TV deal in 2007, Misawa's death in 2009, Akiyama defecting to AJPW and taking half the roster with him in 2013, NOAH's not in the best state. And now they're being financed in some way by NJPW and Jado's the head booker, they're bringing in old guys like Suzuki & Nagata from NJPW to try and generate some excitement as well as giving those guys something to do, but it's not been entirely successful and it's hard to see where the future lies for NOAH.

klonere

Banned
Lack of new stars, basically. That's been the story of NOAH for the past decade now, they left it too late for the old guard to put over the next generation and the young guys they did have coming through never took off in the way Misawa, Kobashi & Kawada did, not that their talents were at all comparable. The two most popular young wrestlers (KENTA & Marufuji) were juniors and, after losing their TV deal in 2007, Misawa's death in 2009, Akiyama defecting to AJPW and taking half the roster with him in 2013, NOAH's not in the best state. And now they're being financed in some way by NJPW and Jado's the head booker, they're bringing in old guys like Suzuki & Nagata from NJPW to try and generate some excitement as well as giving those guys something to do, but it's not been entirely successful and it's hard to see where the future lies for NOAH.

Thanks for the info. Clearly there is a lot of wrestling still going on in Japan right now but it seems like NJPW are the only ones really thriving right now? The last few AJPW matches I managed to find looked like they were held in the most depressing school basement ever (still had 1k attendance supposedly).

Yes, God forbid you date your coworkers because they're the only people near you when you're basically cut off from the rest of the world.

I mean, yes, it never ends well to date your coworkers, but that just seems like slut-shaming.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yes, God forbid you date your coworkers because they're the only people near you when you're basically cut off from the rest of the world.

I mean, yes, it never ends well to date your coworkers, but that just seems like slut-shaming.

Especially when at least 90% of women in this business (or formerly in the business) are either in relationships or married to men in the business.

I mean, Paige was doing the slut shaming, but the men next to her are both married to (ex-)WWE wrestlers.

RP912

Banned
I really want to get into NOAH, but I can't stand the production of it. There's like two shots throughout the match...the front and corner. No shots to make me feel engaged in the show. Also I haven't the clue of who's who and what's what besides Suzuki, Shelton, and Archer.

Entropia

No One Remembers
GQ did a story on how the Wrestlers manage to stay in shape on the road.

http://www.gq.com/story/wwe-fitness-road-workout

I'm amazed that WWE doesn't do a sponsorship deal with a gym and more fitness products.

WWE is pretty... bad at giving perks/benefits to their wrestlers. It all goes back to the independent contractor BS.

In a perfect world; Wrestlers would be employees of WWE and receive all benefits of a normal employee; cost of travel would be covered(or travel provided), they'd have a deal with a gym/many gyms for their wrestlers to work out while they're in town, etc.

That article also taught me that Chipotle is really good for you I guess.

Thanks for the info. Clearly there is a lot of wrestling still going on in Japan right now but it seems like NJPW are the only ones really thriving right now? The last few AJPW matches I managed to find looked like they were held in the most depressing school basement ever (still had 1k attendance supposedly).

Dragon Gate are doing really well for themselves also, they're the clear no.2 in the country at the moment - promotions like DDT & BJW are growing too, both running Sumo Hall shows this year. AJPW are in an odd state at the moment, as their business suffered a lot in the past few years, but the product's improving and it'll be interesting to see if they can get back to respectable levels again.

Also I haven't the clue of who's who and what's what besides Suzuki, Shelton, and Archer.

NOAH's stables don't really have much direction at the moment, they're more like loose affiliations - you've got Marufuji's good guy group BRAVE with Nakajima, Kotoge & Ishimori, the more neutral NO MERCY with guys like Harada, Takayama & Sugiura and the heel group Cho Kibou-gun, who was Morishima's faction until he was forced to retire, but is now headed up by Maybach with Kenou & Ohara. The Suzuki-gun invasion's the main focus this year.

Fox318

WWE is pretty... bad at giving perks/benefits to their wrestlers. It all goes back to the independent contractor BS.

In a perfect world; Wrestlers would be employees of WWE and receive all benefits of a normal employee; cost of travel would be covered(or travel provided), they'd have a deal with a gym/many gyms for their wrestlers to work out while they're in town, etc.

That article also taught me that Chipotle is really good for you I guess.

I could understand that shit if the pay was good but for most people it doesn't seem like its worth it.

They need a union if only for things like long term health care and transition job training.

Cagey

Banned
GQ did a story on how the Wrestlers manage to stay in shape on the road.

http://www.gq.com/story/wwe-fitness-road-workout

I'm amazed that WWE doesn't do a sponsorship deal with a gym and more fitness products.

Roman: Big E Langston—he’s probably one of our strongest guys—he was on this thing he called “sugar window.” So if you work out hard enough, you can literally eat anything you want right after a workout. He’s like, you can eat cookies and ice cream and chocolate syrup and your body is going to use it in a proper way. And if you look at him, he’s a genetic freak. So we’d work out and then make a sprint to the building to hit up catering for a cookie or two. It wasn’t more than a week or two until we were like, “Maybe there isn’t too much science behind this thing.” Plus, I think Big E made it a “sugar garage door.”

Big E is the WWE's brofessor, spreading that broscience. 50% real, 50% magic, 100% results baby.

Maffew raised a good question: when was the last time an indy worker had the "fuck you, I'm leaving for WWE" gimmick? Was it really CM Punk in 2005? Steen had the "please take me from CZW, ROH" gimmick in CZW during the CZW/ROH feud, but that's obviously not the same.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't lie, I'm happy with Tanahashi winning the G1 and we're getting the final, FINAL, endwar-to-end-all-endwar with Tanahashi and Okada so we can move on. It's time. No complaints. Tanahashi is an exceptional talent, and even though people are tired of him, this will finish their story in a satisfying conclusion.

I'm ready to be legit shook seeing Tanahashi win at WK and say "well...now fucking what?"

Maffew raised a good question: when was the last time an indy worker had the "fuck you, I'm leaving for WWE" gimmick? Was it really CM Punk in 2005? Steen had the "please take me from CZW, ROH" gimmick in CZW during the CZW/ROH feud, but that's obviously not the same.

I assume nowadays leaving for wwe is more of a "wish me luck, I'm going to need it" situation.

miserable

NOAH in 2005; http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=3260 that was the show with the Kobashi/Sasaki 5 minute chop battle; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTXzeBuQSg

AJPW last ran the Dome in 2003; http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=16564 awful card, also proving that Mutoh wasn't immune to the MMA idiocy that people often attribute to Inoki alone.

what a double main event at that NOAH show! those 2 matches were awesome, i guess that was the height of NOAH's popularity

as for that AJPW card...Ernesto Hoost in the main event, really?

Top Bottom