• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

imBask

Banned
How can a list of cena best matches not have cena vs punk at mitb.

Owen vs cesaro or cena vs rollin, either one of them could Motn.

the one on RAW was better

the match itself wasn't THAT incredible at MiTB, it's the whole emotional investment that made it so great

Because it has the better Punk vs Cena match from Raw

0Ek0kz1.gif

I love this match.

How liger got booked in NXT

It appears after the Jushin Liger to NXT incident, that things have been smoothed over and the relationship is now stronger than ever. New Japan gave them the impression that Liger working NXT was a combination of Liger wanting to work one match with WWE, since he never has, and he’s 50 years old, and doing a personal favor for William Regal. Liger did an interview this past week with the New Japan web site and said what happened was that he was in Northern California for the ROH show two nights before WrestleMania and found out that “Devi-chan,” (Fergal Devitt/Finn Balor) was wrestling the same night nearby. He said he wanted to see the show so someone contacted Matt Bloom, who he knows, and Bloom got him a ticket to the show. So Liger was in the audience at the NXT show in San Jose late in disguise (his disguise is that he was just a 50-year-old Japanese guy that nobody recognized) and he saw the Balor vs. Neville main event and talked with Balor after the match. Several weeks later, Balor, Bloom and Regal called New Japan and asked for Liger’s e-mail address. That’s interesting because that sounds like they were trying to avoid going through the promotion and contacting him directly. But they were told Liger doesn’t use a computer and that they would have to go through Tiger Hattori (who handles a lot of New Japan’s business in English speaking countries). They asked Hattori if Liger could work the NXT show as a one-time only deal and Hattori said Liger would do it if New Japan gave him permission. He noted Regal was a long-time friend. Liger said that he didn’t know Tyler Breeze, but said he must be really good if he learned his basics from Storm. The key of this is that New Japan absolutely was involved in the booking and it was not Liger on his own working without it going through the company.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I see stuff like Austin and Vampiro talking about how they see the way wrestling is going and how someone like Vampiro steps in to try and set them on the right path in terms of telling a story in the ring, and I get hopeful. But then I see the Young Bucks and
bucks1069.png

And I lose all hope about the future of wrestling. I worry that my interest in wrestling will die when all the old wrestlers heads are gone that were trained by the ones before them. I see stuff like this and realize that any pretense of storytelling in a match is gone. It's already happened to the indies and as more and more guys go from that line of thinking to the WWE, I think it'll only get worse. It'll be more and more about popping a crowd as often as possible rather than building to a much bigger blowoff that sticks with you. It'll just be about spots and one upping each other as much as possible. I've said it before, but wrestlers now look at their matches as 'how many gifs can I get made in a match. How many will put me out there and expose me more to social media so WWE will call me.' The influence seeps in more and more year after year because of who is on top of indie wrestling at the time. As much as Punk had his shitty spots, and as much as I wasn't a Punk fan, he did try to captivate storytelling when he was in indies. He had the line from his shoot with Joe about them saying they were going to spam finisher kickouts before Steamboat told them, 'That's stupid. Just build up the finisher and never hit it so that way when you DO hit it it's a big deal.' Austin Aries is the one I credit most with the movez banner being a thing and that every match in the indies became a cruiserweight match times ten. Daniels hitting DVDs as mid match moves. Youth Suicide as well. Young Bucks dominate fan mindshare in the indies and they've never told any kind of story in a match other than 'HEY YOU FANS YOU'RE IN ON THE JOKE TOO /WINK.' It's funny that there are people that shit on Vince Russo's mentality of 'the internet has changed everything,' because the Young Bucks is that mentality to the hundredth degree.

You can still work people. You can still get people emotionally invested. I'm not a fan of Honma, but he is a PERFECT example of that with his underdog story. Brock is another guy who knows how to look and work a ring and make you believe. But why do that? I'll just do a 450 knee drop to a kneeling opponent instead and that'll put me in a gif and people will retweet that gif and that'll get me booked. Until we eventually run out of ways to outdo each other and none of that shit pops like it used to. And it COMPLETELY dominates an indie card because you can't have Piper vs Valentine on the same match as Davey Richards vs Eddie Edwards. It fucks the crowd up too much, and the latter is the more popular thing for now, so a lot of those kids don't even get trained to know how to have that kind of match.

It's why I DO think Toru Yano and Akebono are a better wrestler than Trevor Lee or Mike Bailey. Because they know how to tell an interesting story. It's engaging. It's not just a sequence of moves placed because those moves need to be performed to get to the finish. It's why I'm glad ZSJ got to work with guys like Nakajima who are real oldheads and know the older style of Japanese wrestling so that he can learn it and be someone who I want to follow outside of in gif format.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's room for all of that. But people won't remember "that sweet superkick jiff from july 2012" in 5 years, they'll remember a story Bork told.

Ithil

Think you hate wrestling crowds?

http://www.legitshook.com/blog/howwrestlingfansaretryingtoruinwrestling

How Wrestling Fans Are Trying To Ruin Wrestling

And much more at the link...all topped off with Owens' promo on NXT.

The same fans who look at everything with behind the scenes sub-text so they can convince themselves what they're watching is more than a kid's show inline with Power Rangers or TMNT.

I'm not sure of the purpose of this in a long article about wrestling.

This should be good

Both sets of tag team champions, Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows and Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish are headed to Oberhausen, Germany, from 10/2 to 10/4 for a 16 team tag team tournament. Among those also in are Zack Sabre Jr., Tommy End, Jonathan Gresham, ACH and Tommaso Ciampa.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who is overreacting this much to a wrestling crowd being disappointed that they are missing out on a big show? It's just some booing, likely more in jest than serious protest.

Meltzer on NXT salaries

I’ve been asked this question regarding NXT pay. The NXT guys under developmental deals have not, thus far, been bonused based on working shows with bigger grosses outside Florida. I’m told, even those that worked San Jose were not given a gate percentage. Given that Brooklyn’s gate is probably going to be around $700,000, which is amazing when you think about it, you’d think that would change. Owens is not on a developmental deal so he’d probably be paid like the main event of a big grossing house show, and Balor should have a different deal than everyone else because he was an established star in a major league promotion. But for people like Banks and Bayley, particularly because the internal push claims this show is a double main event, a main event payoff on that kind of house would be huge compared to what the women are currently earning and I can’t come up with any kind of logical reason all the talent appearing on a show like that shouldn’t get comparable payoffs to the main roster talent on a sold out major market show. Banks may be on a main roster deal so it could be different. I’m told the internal reasoning is that NXT and developmental are overall big money losers, as developmental has to be considered to be, they are on guaranteed money contracts and overall the shows are losing money without paying a percentage to talent. NXT talent working in Florida have no road expenses and the feeling is they are being paid to learn. However, when NXT talent is brought to WWE road shows, they are paid for those shows and also have their road expenses covered, which isn’t the case for the contracted WWE talent.

Finn needs to stop with the kool aid

Finn Balor said he doesn’t want to get called up to the main roster. “What we’re doing at NXT right now is groundbreaking. It’s revolutionary,” he said on the PodNasty podcast. “For me, it’s like a Renaissance period in wrestling, and I want to be involved in NXT. I don’t want to go to the, quote, unquote, main roster. I don’t want to get called up, so to speak, because I believe that we at NXT are building something together that is going to be looked back on in ten years the same way that we looked back on the ECW period as being revolutionary at that time. And this is something that I want to be involved in.”

dream

I think strobo's article makes an excellent point about how gullible and easily manipulated smarks are. Make them feel like they're "inside" and they'll buy any amount of bullshit afterwards.

klonere

Banned
Finn is being diplomatic in a public interview. Smart move, guy is gonna be huge in WWE.

I don't get what's revolutionary in NXT.

The part-time deals with indie guys?

Like Aii said, its a company line that Finn is repeating. Its the one of the adjectives they are affixing to NXT marketing material and so he used it. It doesn't mean anything. Nothing most WWE contracted wrestlers say in interviews mean anything.

Ithil

The Divas "Revolution" has consisted of the exact same division but with three extra wrestlers and slightly more match time. It's just a marketing word.

klonere

Banned
I see stuff like Austin and Vampiro talking about how they see the way wrestling is going and how someone like Vampiro steps in to try and set them on the right path in terms of telling a story in the ring, and I get hopeful. But then I see the Young Bucks and
bucks1069.png

And I lose all hope about the future of wrestling. I worry that my interest in wrestling will die when all the old wrestlers heads are gone that were trained by the ones before them. I see stuff like this and realize that any pretense of storytelling in a match is gone. It's already happened to the indies and as more and more guys go from that line of thinking to the WWE, I think it'll only get worse. It'll be more and more about popping a crowd as often as possible rather than building to a much bigger blowoff that sticks with you. It'll just be about spots and one upping each other as much as possible. I've said it before, but wrestlers now look at their matches as 'how many gifs can I get made in a match. How many will put me out there and expose me more to social media so WWE will call me.' The influence seeps in more and more year after year because of who is on top of indie wrestling at the time. As much as Punk had his shitty spots, and as much as I wasn't a Punk fan, he did try to captivate storytelling when he was in indies. He had the line from his shoot with Joe about them saying they were going to spam finisher kickouts before Steamboat told them, 'That's stupid. Just build up the finisher and never hit it so that way when you DO hit it it's a big deal.' Austin Aries is the one I credit most with the movez banner being a thing and that every match in the indies became a cruiserweight match times ten. Daniels hitting DVDs as mid match moves. Youth Suicide as well. Young Bucks dominate fan mindshare in the indies and they've never told any kind of story in a match other than 'HEY YOU FANS YOU'RE IN ON THE JOKE TOO /WINK.' It's funny that there are people that shit on Vince Russo's mentality of 'the internet has changed everything,' because the Young Bucks is that mentality to the hundredth degree.

You can still work people. You can still get people emotionally invested. I'm not a fan of Honma, but he is a PERFECT example of that with his underdog story. Brock is another guy who knows how to look and work a ring and make you believe. But why do that? I'll just do a 450 knee drop to a kneeling opponent instead and that'll put me in a gif and people will retweet that gif and that'll get me booked. Until we eventually run out of ways to outdo each other and none of that shit pops like it used to. And it COMPLETELY dominates an indie card because you can't have Piper vs Valentine on the same match as Davey Richards vs Eddie Edwards. It fucks the crowd up too much, and the latter is the more popular thing for now, so a lot of those kids don't even get trained to know how to have that kind of match.

It's why I DO think Toru Yano and Akebono are a better wrestler than Trevor Lee or Mike Bailey. Because they know how to tell an interesting story. It's engaging. It's not just a sequence of moves placed because those moves need to be performed to get to the finish. It's why I'm glad ZSJ got to work with guys like Nakajima who are real oldheads and know the older style of Japanese wrestling so that he can learn it and be someone who I want to follow outside of in gif format.

Look at Cena/Owens II at MiTB compared to Rollins/Ambrose at the same. Cena and Owens had their bunch of moves that they kicked out of and it was all executed very well yet as you have said Owens didn't do anything heelish, there was no real story to the match, it was just an escalating bunch of finishers that lead to 2 counts.

Yet people thought Ambrose/Rollins was boring or too slow compared to it because they didn't try and do a bunch of dumb moves but rather told a story with Ambroses leg which was relatively well done. All the big spots looked incredibly painful and brutal as is befitting the feud. The finish was a bit dumb in hindsight but it was meant to tell you that Rollins was just a tiny bit better than Ambrose in the end.

As entertaining as Cena/Owens series was it was literally just a bunch of moves in a trio of matches that culminated in a super finisher kick out into a tap out???? No real progression from match 1 to 3 in how the matches went apart from "quantity of moves done".

*shrug*

Ithil

Finn needs to accept he's gonna get bumped up to fill the void Jeff Harvey left and will be pandering to children and their mothers for the next 7-10 years if god willing he still has his hair.

But Hardy was a huge star before his drug issues messed it up?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Think you hate wrestling crowds?

http://www.legitshook.com/blog/howwrestlingfansaretryingtoruinwrestling

How Wrestling Fans Are Trying To Ruin Wrestling

And much more at the link...all topped off with Owens' promo on NXT.
It's a great article and the Kevin Owens promo at the end really just cements the whole thing. The fans were speechless they had been rightly called out for losing the narrative. The wrestlers need to stop pandering, stop trying to get your shit in at bingo halls and school gyms cause you want a cheap pop and just work on telling a fucking story.

dream

It's a great article and the Kevin Owens promo at the end really just cements the whole thing. The fans were speechless they had been rightly called out for losing the narrative. The wrestlers need to stop pandering, stop trying to get your shit in at bingo halls and school gyms cause you want a cheap pop and just work on telling a fucking story.

I think the Kevin Owens promo was fantastic because it anticipated the tendencies of the audience, and then systematically shut them down. Owens pointed out how hypocritical and inconsistent they are, highlighted how destructively possessive they are, and then completely foreclosed the possibility of the Full Sail Fucknuts, who opened the show with "Bailey's better"/"No she's not," starting a dueling chant.

Owens held a mirror up to the Full Sail Fucknuts, who retreated into silent shame after seeing their ugly, hateful reflections.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even in Japan, finisher kick outs are usually one or two reasons.
1. It's two rivals who have fought forever so the mentality is either 'I want to beat you so bad that I've got the energy to go on no matter what' or 'I've taken this move enough times that I know how to take it so I don't get knocked out'
2. You're fighting an unstoppable monster and HE can kick out of multiple finishers. YOU should not.

And even in those, it's never to the degree of those Owens/Cena or Punk/Cena matches. What was the point there? To add drama to a non-blood feud? Because it didn't. It actually kills any drama in a John Cena match. Just stop calling the FU a finisher if you're going that route.

dream

I wonder if attendance at full sail shows would actually suffer as a result of all this

I doubt it. I don't think those people have anything else going on in their lives.

They should be terrified right now though. It's no accident that WWE stopped editing the Brooklyn boos, and wrote and aired Kevin Owens's promo.

Top Bottom