• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Any SummerSlam pool people here? Just typing up a list to hand out tomorrow night to guests for making their picks but other then the logo on top it's gonna be lame. Any good ones floating around or suggestions? Like to keep it to 1 page.

"Best Pure Striker"

That Brock vs. Punk match was fucking awesome. Brock as God King is the best use of him, but fuck, I also love that he'll bump like a mad man for a guy half his size and make him look like a million bucks.

Was a well-booked feud, too. Punk as the lifelong, self-made, but unathletic and weaker one, Brock as the hyper-athletic freak of nature with fighting cred outside the WWE but with too much arrogance and not enough discipline.

I want Brock to have more competitive matches too, especially with smaller guys, but Punk is so nonathletic and has sloppy offense that it was a bit much to see Lesnar give him anything at all. Still a dope match.

RP912

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw8_AKZW6I

antonio-inoki-daah-o.gif

DMczaf

Probably the only bad thing about God King Brock is that he can no longer display his great moveset and selling ability.

He used to have so many more suplexes in his repertoire.

Watching the Nexus vs. WWE main event. Do you guys remember how Cena kicked out of a DDT on the concrete?

Well, he didn't. Barrett rolls him back in the ring, positions him in the babyface corner, goes over to tag Gabriel in and instructs him to hit the 450. Cena dodges it and pins Gabriel. Then Barrett comes in and gets caught in the STF. Taps.

klonere

Banned
Probably the only bad thing about God King Brock is that he can no longer display his great moveset and selling ability.

He used to have so many more suplexes in his repertoire.

Honestly the fact that his suplex's are so over means when he does go to other moves the crowd is going to go insane.

Definitely a rare and great thing in the days of the Owens/Cena series.

Watching the Nexus vs. WWE main event. Do you guys remember how Cena kicked out of a DDT on the concrete?

Well, he didn't. Barrett rolls him back in the ring, positions him in the babyface corner, goes over to tag Gabriel in and instructs him to hit the 450. Cena dodges it and pins Gabriel. Then Barrett comes in and gets caught in the STF. Taps.

vintage cena

Striker

I want Brock to have more competitive matches too, especially with smaller guys, but Punk is so nonathletic and has sloppy offense that it was a bit much to see Lesnar give him anything at all. Still a dope match.
That's why I don't like it as much, especially compared to the Lesnar-Eddie match at No Way Out. The size difference is pushed hard, as it should when he faces these much smaller guys. Eddie only ever gets an upper hand off his own sheer athleticism (where Punk lacks). In the end, he gets the pinfall only because of Goldberg's interference and the F5 reversed into a DDT onto the title belt. That made perfect sense and looked great. Seeing a Lesnar needing this assistance against a guy who's barely 200 lbs, if that, without any great technical or aerial skills, is pooey.

You say that like it's better.

aaZLCiU.gif

klonere

Banned
That's why I don't like it as much, especially compared to the Lesnar-Eddie match at No Way Out. The size difference is pushed hard, as it should when he faces these much smaller guys. Eddie only ever gets an upper hand off his own sheer athleticism (where Punk lacks). In the end, he gets the pinfall only because of Goldberg's interference and the F5 reversed into a DDT onto the title belt. That made perfect sense and looked great. Seeing a Lesnar needing this assistance against a guy who's barely 200 lbs, if that, without any great technical or aerial skills, is pooey.

and thats why Sheamus vs Lesnar would be a great match

fellah

Whether he kicked out or not really isn't the issue. A DDT on the concrete should be a killer. You shouldn't even get up from that, let alone come back and win. That's less of a Cena issue and more a WWE issue though.

Menome

Gonna try and stay awake for NXT Takeover. Seeing as I won't be able to watch Summerslam until Monday evening, might as well try and catch something live.

(First time watching NXT too, so I'll be back to "Who's that!?" stage)

Bowser

Also while Eddie was "small", he was still JACKED.

Eddie-Lesnar-NWO-2004-gifs-001.gif

dem roids doe

I'd rather see Sheamus vs. Brock than this rematch with Taker. It'd make a good Battleground or Night of Champions main event.

You say that like it's better.

The Cena-hate propaganda has gone too far attributing kick outs to where there was none.

The greatest thing about the Punk/Lesnar match was the fact that Punk used the plastic piece of a table as a weapon.

llqDNxY.gif

Kane/Bryan is the Brock/Punk of our time.

fix your link

Lesnar/Triple H is such trash, yet even in the nadir of Triple H's main event career as the "ass kicker" persona, he's still looking weaker than Punk did in his match. Not to mention he only beat Brock with various weapons and interference at Mania.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People like to give the first Cena/Brock match shit because they didn't like the finish but that match is incredible. It's the Brock/HHH matches that kinda blow. Hell I'd put the Brock smushes Big Show match over them.

Yep, always cool to see Orange Cassidy as well. Also, I'm betting Palmer vs Chucky T will be pretty great. Hope Angelus doesn't murder Delilah Doom.

Orange Cassidy has pretty much been my favorite acts in Chikara for a couple years. Always nice to have Chucky-T back in Inspire, and against The Centerfold is a huge bonus.

Doom getting the hell beat out of her is always pretty great tho. One of the few performers I've seen that can basically sell non-stop for a whole year, and you don't get tired of it. It'll be interesting to see how Inspire Pro books this from a storyline perspective.

The Inspire Pro schedule is interesting for the next little while. The storylines go on hold for a bit this show, because of the unique nature of BattleWars. It's been announced that Sept. is the tag-team title tourney TAGGCADE (yes, that's the name of the show, and that's how they are spelling it) and then October are the three consecutive days of the big FunFunFunfest music festival shows. So I don't know how much these one-one-one feuds and stuff can move and develop over the next three months.

Goddamn, crazy promo;

dL8mIGV.gif

Doom getting the hell beat out of her is always pretty great tho. One of the few performers I've seen that can basically sell non-stop for a whole year, and you don't get tired of it.

Will Ospreay's like that - he overdoes it sometimes, but the kid's putting so much effort into it you can't help but get behind him. Was real happy that I got to see The Gentleman's Club live at least once when CHIKARA were over here, as I didn't realise they were on the tour.

I've got a couple of Inspire shows lined up, looking forward to them, especially Kraven vs James and seeing ACH in the ring with Archer/Hoyt!

Well Full Sail would boo whenever Brooklyn was named, it's fair game. They deserve it. Fuck'em.

An obnoxious crowd sucks for the viewer no matter what the justification is. I don't care about how the Full Sail crowd feel about Brooklyn hating them. I care about being able to watch a wrestling show without the crowd chanting irrelevant BS.

somedevil

An obnoxious crowd sucks for the viewer no matter what the justification is. I don't care about how the Full Sail crowd feel about Brooklyn hating them. I care about being able to watch a wrestling show without the crowd chanting irrelevant BS.

I don't think you have to worry because those chants happened before the show even started. So as of now that chant won't be on the network.

Full Sail sucks, agreed Brooklyn

GFW

* Chael Sonnen cut a promo in the ring and demanded a match
* "Tease & Sleaze" Kenny King and Joey Ryan are out. They defeated Cielo Misterioso in a tournament match for the GFW Tag Team Titles
* Karen Jarrett came out for a promo but Amber Gallows interrupted, then King and Ryan
* PJ Black (Justin Gabriel) and The Akbars defeated Los Luchas and Sonjay Dutt
* Shelton Benjamin defeated JR Kratos in a tournament match for the GFW Global Title
* TJ Perkins (Manik) defeated Andrew Everett in a tournament match for the GFW NEX*GEN Title
* Bobby Roode came out for a promo but Eric Young interrupted. Roode ended up attacking Young and beating him down
* "Bullet Babe" Amber Gallows defeated Katarina Waters (Winter, Katie Lea) and Laura James in a tournament match for the GFW Women's Title
* "The Bullet Club" Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows came out while Amber was still in the ring and cut a promo, giving her props and posing together
* Virgil Flynn defeated Trevor Lee in a tournament match for the GFW NEX*GEN Title
* Chael Sonnen and Chris Masters are out for a promo. Nick Aldis (Magnus) comes to the ring but Masters beats him down. MMA vet Phil Baroni had words with Sonnen from the crowd and jumped the rail but security got in the way
* Kevin Kross defeated Joey Ryan
* Eric Young defeated Bobby Roode in a tournament match for the GFW Global Title
* Jeff Jarrett came out and cut a promo thanking fans
* Anderson and Gallows defeated Lance Hoyt and Davey Boy Smith Jr. in tournament match for the GFW Tag Team Titles

How's Apollo Crews on the mic?

He didn't have much opportunity to show it on the indies, which should tell you something, but he comes across as earnest and likeable. He's got some good innate charisma, but the reason you sign a guy like him is because he does moves a guy that size shouldn't be able to do.

Top Bottom