• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Very entertaining and had a very interesting arch in his career, where his in-ring ability and mic skills kinda swapped around. Rick and Scott murdering people as a tag team was amazing to watch, but I don't remember any of their promos. Then Scott turned into the genetic freak and his matches were shite, but him on a mic was gold.

All time five in no order:
Steve Austin.
Dean Malenko.
Mick Foley.
Katsuyori Shibata.
Chris Benoit.

Welcome.

the-rock-jericho-handshake-o.gif

The time is ripe for Zandig vs. Scott Steiner.

Zach

Really enjoyed the tag-team match as well. Though as fun to watch as the Vaudevillains were, sadly I don't see that gimmick ever surviving a jump up to the main roster.

Love the Vaudevillains, but I totally share your fear. And that music, while I like it, is hard to get excited for. If the fans clapping with it turns into a bigger thing then it'd probably work.

Fox318

Star ratings from me

1 Jushin Thunder Liger Def. (Pin) Tyler Breeze ***¾
2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) ***¼
3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger ***¾
4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin ***½
5 Bayley Def. (Pin) Sasha Banks (C) *****
6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens ****

It's cool that half the matches on the card did nothing for me but I still immensely enjoyed the show. I'm so used to enjoying about a quarter of the main roster matches on a PPV and sitting in apathy regardless.

So Progress keeps alluding to some involvement in the NXT UK event. Wishful thinking or what?

Who knows at this point. Maybe they're using them as scouts for UK talent for the events? Spotted Jimmy and one of the owners front row for the main event, but that was more to support Finn than anything else.

Zach

Star ratings from me

1 Jushin Thunder Liger Def. (Pin) Tyler Breeze ***¾
2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) ***¼
3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger ***¾
4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin ***½
5 Bayley Def. (Pin) Sasha Banks (C) *****
6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens ****

Hey, let's do this (but with grades).

1 Jushin Thunder Liger Def. (Pin) Tyler Breeze B-
2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) A-
3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger C+
4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin C+
5 Bayley Def. (Pin) Sasha Banks (C) A
6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens B-

Today is the day. Rusev will destory dog ziggler. Seth will be our US and World Champion and get his Statue. New Day will be our two time tag team champs.

In honor of this glorious event I will be making beef sliders, jalapeño poppers, guacamole with chips, and garlic fries.

Summerslam is here.

Dawson and Wilder
Blake and Murphy
Gable and Jordan
Enzo and Cassady
Hype Bros

That's 5 teams to fill most of the bracket. I'm assuming that they'll go 8 teams total.

They can team up guys like LeFort and Louis again to fill the rest of the bracket, or it could be a way to debut someone.

Dawson and Wilder
Blake and Murphy
Gable and Jordan
Enzo and Cassady
Hype Bros

That's 5 teams to fill most of the bracket. I'm assuming that they'll go 8 teams total.

They can team up guys like LeFort and Louis again to fill the rest of the bracket, or it could be a way to debut someone.

Young upstarts Tenzan and Kojima

Zach

Today is the day. Rusev will destory dog ziggler. Seth will be our US and World Champion and get his Statue. New Day will be our two time tag team champs.

In honor of this glorious event I will be making beef sliders, jalapeño poppers, guacamole with chips, and garlic fries.

Summerslam is here.

On my way over for some poppers.

Dawson and Wilder
Blake and Murphy
Gable and Jordan
Enzo and Cassady
Hype Bros

I hope they debut at least one new team...

somedevil

Can't wait. They said it's a tag team thing, right? Should be classic. Hopefully they showcase some dudes I've yet to see, too.

Well right now from the tapings and how close they are to the next special its got to be a 8 team tournament. So they will have 5 regular teams and 3 new ones.

So you have the mechanics, Zack Ryder and Mojo, Gable and Jordan, Enzo and Cass and Blake and Murphy. Plus the ascension.

Here are 4 mystery teams if you want know from the tapings. They already did three matches of the tournament involving the 4 mystery teams.

Neville and Crowe, Bull and Breeze and Gargano and Ciampa and Rhyno and Corbin

edit: screwed up.

Fox318

Sasha Banks is incredible in person.

All I could think about in that Women's match was Austin Bret at mania 13 and Sasha reminds me of Ric Flair. There wasn't a single moment where she broke character and it was fantastic. I don't know how else to describe her in the ring but there is something truly special about her in a way that makes you believe you have to be born with it.

Honestly I really can see now how they can judge people based so much on their appearance. Its not something that the crowd would ever notice or even the TV audience but when you are standing next to somebody like Josh from tough enough and see how big the dude and how athletic he is.

Baron Corbin has a look and while he might not be ready for the main roster yet I honestly feel like he will be one day and he will be fantastic.

Hey, let's do this (but with grades).

2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) B+
3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger C
4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin C
6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens C+

Only thing I didn't like about Bayley/Sasha was that spot with Sasha diving over the ref

Fox318

Dawson and Wilder
Blake and Murphy
Gable and Jordan
Enzo and Cassady
Hype Bros

Don't forget the Ascension

Wow last night was amazing. Main event didnt do it for me though. Everything else was so good. Beat every wwe show this year. Bailey stepped up so huge. I had tears in my eyes

RBH

All I could think about in that Women's match was Austin Bret at mania 13 and Sasha reminds me of Ric Flair. There wasn't a single moment where she broke character and it was fantastic. I don't know how else to describe her in the ring but there is something truly special about her in a way that makes you believe you have to be born with it.

Honestly I really can see now how they can judge people based so much on their appearance. Its not something that the crowd would ever notice or even the TV audience but when you are standing next to somebody like Josh from tough enough and see how big the dude and how athletic he is.

Baron Corbin has a look and while he might not be ready for the main roster yet I honestly feel like he will be one day and he will be fantastic.
This is probably way too premature on my part, but barring any setbacks, I feel that Sasha Banks is on her way to being considered one of the greats in the women's division. She's already that good in my eyes.

I'll give my thoughts on last night's show.

1 Jushin Thunder Liger Def. (Pin) Tyler Breeze ***1/2
Very entertaining opener. I've seen Liger do better recently, but his antics made the match enjoyable.

2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) ***
Gotch and English have improved quite a bit in recent months, and Gotch seems to be the better of the group. Dubstep Cowboys didn't really do anything memorable. Bliss is gorgeous.

3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger **
A strange squash match for Apollo's debut. Dillinger got maybe a little too much offense. I'm looking forward to Choc Lesnar on NXT though.

4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin **
This was here. I guess. Maybe Baron's best match, but that's not saying much at all. He didn't mess anything up. I would've preferred if Joe went out there and murdered Corbin.

5 Bayley Def. (Pin) Sasha Banks (C) ****1/2
Fantastic match. Easily match of the night. I wasn't feeling the start at all, but the more the match went on, the better it got. Amazing Poison Frankensteiner (Bayleysteiner?) from the top lead to an emotional win. Superb.

6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens ***3/4
This match started strong, but I felt it lost steam by the end. It was a tough act to follow that last match. Fantastic heel work by Owens, including running down the entrance ramp to punch Finn in the face, and making fun of Sami's injury after the crowd started to chant Ole.

Overall: A pretty good show and a very easy watch. The roughly 2 and a half hours flew by. Definitely worth checking out.

Zach

2 Aiden English & Simon Gotch Def. (Pin) Blake (C) & Murphy (C) B+
3 Apollo Crews Def. (Pin) Tye Dillinger C
4 Samoa Joe Def. (Sub) Baron Corbin C
6 Finn Bálor (C) Def. Kevin Owens C+

Only thing I didn't like about Bayley/Sasha was that spot with Sasha diving over the ref

A little contrived, but the execution was solid so I'll give it a pass.

Barrage

The best thing stopping the match tongight from being a clusterfuck is that Sasha will be insanely, supremely over and they'll be able to get the crowd back any time she's facing anyone from PCB.

klonere

Banned
Ya'll are generous as hell with them stars.

Breeze vs Liger. 2*1/4

Vaudevillains vs Alexa Bliss w/Dubstep Cowboys 3*

Apollo Crews vs Tye Dillinger 2*

Baron Corbin vs Joe 2*1/2

Bayley vs Sasha Banks 4*1/4

Finn Balor vs Kevin Owens 2*1/2

It's cool that half the matches on the card did nothing for me but I still immensely enjoyed the show. I'm so used to enjoying about a quarter of the main roster matches on a PPV and sitting in apathy regardless.

Thats the value of having characters over and not worrying all the time that the booking is going to screw everything up in two weeks.

The only thing is at the very start of the match it looked like she might cry or was overwhelmed.

I guess that is very Ric Flair of her though.

I said it last night in the Takeover thread, but it bears repeating. The reason NXT work so well isn't just because all the matches are good, because they aren't. It's because even the bad matches have logical and engaging booking and stories. Everything makes sense and everything is treated like it matters. From Bull-Fit to Corbin to Bayley to Balor, everyone has a story and every story is seen through from a beginning to a logical conclusion. NXT rewards you for your attention, while WWE ignores you for it.

NXT also caters to a smaller niche audience, so they can focus on telling their stories exactly the way they want to. They don't have other stuff to worry about like the main brand does.

Also, NXT succeeds because while they do the build up for things well, they are best in class at providing payoffs. See: Zayn, Balor, Bayley, Vaudevillains

NXT catering to a small audience has little to do with their ability to tell logical and satisfying stories. That sounds like an excuse Vince would make.

RP912

Banned
I agree the whole NXT catering to a small niche audience excuse is played out. You don't need a division of writers to book a fucking storyline that one writer could do. Heyman pretty much ran a company by himself and wrote every storyline and done character development without no issue.

On that note...Summerslam is going to suck tonight and yes I mean it.

NoRéN

I said it last night in the Takeover thread, but it bears repeating. The reason NXT work so well isn't just because all the matches are good, because they aren't. It's because even the bad matches have logical and engaging booking and stories. Everything makes sense and everything is treated like it matters. From Bull-Fit to Corbin to Bayley to Balor, everyone has a story and every story is seen through from a beginning to a logical conclusion. NXT rewards you for your attention, while WWE ignores you for it.

NXT catering to a small audience has little to do with their ability to tell logical and satisfying stories. That sounds like an excuse Vince would make.

Especially sense the main roster has a million writers . Just assign one to every wrestler

All of this. Good stuff.

Top Bottom